which program runs the startup wave - Mandriva

This is a discussion on which program runs the startup wave - Mandriva ; Which program plays the KDE desktop startup wave. Mine commences to play normally until the last couple of notes which increase rapidly in volume until it clips and distorts. This does not happen with a "junk" user created for test ...

  1. which program runs the startup wave

    Which program plays the KDE desktop startup wave.
    Mine commences to play normally until the last couple of notes which increase
    rapidly in volume until it clips and distorts.

    This does not happen with a "junk" user created for test purposes.
    So it would seem to be in my $HOME configuration files.
    I could remove the lot and replace them individually, very painful though

    But if I knew which program it was, I could swoop on the files directly.

    --
    faeychild

  2. Re: which program runs the startup wave

    faeychild wrote:
    > Which program plays the KDE desktop startup wave.
    > Mine commences to play normally until the last couple of notes which increase
    > rapidly in volume until it clips and distorts.
    >
    > This does not happen with a "junk" user created for test purposes.
    > So it would seem to be in my $HOME configuration files.
    > I could remove the lot and replace them individually, very painful though
    >
    > But if I knew which program it was, I could swoop on the files directly.

    Go into KDE Control Center, to Sound & Multimedia, to Sound System,
    to Hardware, and take a look. Or, on a command line, run
    ps -eF |grep xxxx
    with xxxx as snd, sound, audio, or whatever, or just do a
    ps -eF |less
    and look through the listing.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: which program runs the startup wave

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > faeychild wrote:
    >> Which program plays the KDE desktop startup wave.
    >> Mine commences to play normally until the last couple of notes which
    >> increase rapidly in volume until it clips and distorts.
    >>
    >> This does not happen with a "junk" user created for test purposes.
    >> So it would seem to be in my $HOME configuration files.
    >> I could remove the lot and replace them individually, very painful though
    >>
    >> But if I knew which program it was, I could swoop on the files directly.

    > Go into KDE Control Center, to Sound & Multimedia, to Sound System,
    > to Hardware, and take a look. Or, on a command line, run

    It's the software program I want to identify
    > ps -eF |grep xxxx
    > with xxxx as snd, sound, audio, or whatever, or just do a
    > ps -eF |less
    > and look through the listing.

    Thinking about that approach I figure that I have about 2 seconds while the
    wave file plays after the desktop opens.. I'd need a script to run
    automatically at the same time to catch the incident.
    I'll think about it.

    --
    faeychild

  4. Re: which program runs the startup wave

    faeychild wrote:
    > Which program plays the KDE desktop startup wave.
    > Mine commences to play normally until the last couple of notes which increase
    > rapidly in volume until it clips and distorts.
    >
    > This does not happen with a "junk" user created for test purposes.
    > So it would seem to be in my $HOME configuration files.
    > I could remove the lot and replace them individually, very painful though
    >
    > But if I knew which program it was, I could swoop on the files directly.

    Have a look in: /usr/share/sounds/
    You will find:

    KDE_Startup_1.ogg
    KDE_Startup_2.ogg
    KDE_Startup_3.ogg
    KDE_Startup_new.wav
    KDE_Startup.wav

    Click on each file in Konqueror to play in Kaffeine or Amarok

    My startup sounds like the first, your file may be corrupted.
    Change filename to suit.

    LeoTheLion

  5. Re: SOLVEDwhich program runs the startup wave

    faeychild wrote:

    > Which program plays the KDE desktop startup wave.
    > Mine commences to play normally until the last couple of notes which increase
    > rapidly in volume until it clips and distorts.
    >
    > This does not happen with a "junk" user created for test purposes.
    > So it would seem to be in my $HOME configuration files.
    > I could remove the lot and replace them individually, very painful though
    >
    > But if I knew which program it was, I could swoop on the files directly.

    It is caused by script I put in in $HOME/.kde/Autostart.

    It is a work in progress but at present just displays a message box after the
    desktop starts. It is corrupting the playing of the wave.

    Autostart may not be the place for it.

    #!/bin/bash

    day=`date +%A`

    kdialog --msgbox "check garbage"

    exit 0

    --
    faeychild

  6. Re: SOLVEDwhich program runs the startup wave

    faeychild wrote:
    > faeychild wrote:
    >
    >> Which program plays the KDE desktop startup wave.
    >> Mine commences to play normally until the last couple of notes which increase
    >> rapidly in volume until it clips and distorts.
    >>
    >> This does not happen with a "junk" user created for test purposes.
    >> So it would seem to be in my $HOME configuration files.
    >> I could remove the lot and replace them individually, very painful though
    >>
    >> But if I knew which program it was, I could swoop on the files directly.
    >>

    > It is caused by script I put in in $HOME/.kde/Autostart.
    >
    > It is a work in progress but at present just displays a message box after the
    > desktop starts. It is corrupting the playing of the wave.
    >
    > Autostart may not be the place for it.
    >
    > #!/bin/bash
    >
    > day=`date +%A`
    >
    > kdialog --msgbox "check garbage"
    >
    > exit 0

    Drat and tarnation, I was hoping somebody could answer your question. I
    was kind of curious about that myself.

  7. Re: SOLVEDwhich program runs the startup wave

    none wrote:

    >> #!/bin/bash
    >>
    >> day=`date +%A`
    >>
    >> kdialog --msgbox "check garbage"
    >>
    >> exit 0
    >>

    > Drat and tarnation, I was hoping somebody could answer your question. I
    > was kind of curious about that myself.

    Commenting out the "kdialog" line eliminates the problem. It could be a bug
    and already fixed. I am running KDE 3.5.6 (old, no upgrades)

    --
    faeychild

+ Reply to Thread