Nvidia splash screen: 2008.0/1 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Nvidia splash screen: 2008.0/1 - Mandriva ; I downloaded the 2008.1 live ISO to see how it would handle my laptop hardware. Then I thought I'd try it on my main PC. When I looked at the graphics setup I noticed it had installed the Nvidia server. ...

  1. Nvidia splash screen: 2008.0/1

    I downloaded the 2008.1 live ISO to see how it would handle my laptop
    hardware. Then I thought I'd try it on my main PC. When I looked at the
    graphics setup I noticed it had installed the Nvidia server. I was a bit
    surprised, as I thought this only came with the full commercial version.
    So my question is: can I remove the Nvidia splash screen that comes up
    with my installed 2008.0? It doesn't appear at all when I boot from the
    2008.1 DVD.

    Chris

  2. Re: Nvidia splash screen: 2008.0/1

    chris wrote:

    > I downloaded the 2008.1 live ISO to see how it would handle my laptop
    > hardware. Then I thought I'd try it on my main PC. When I looked at the
    > graphics setup I noticed it had installed the Nvidia server. I was a bit
    > surprised, as I thought this only came with the full commercial version.
    > So my question is: can I remove the Nvidia splash screen that comes up
    > with my installed 2008.0? It doesn't appear at all when I boot from the
    > 2008.1 DVD.

    Chris

    You should have an app called nvidia-xconfig installed. Running the
    following in a terminal (as root user) will stop flash screen on next
    reboot:

    nvidia-xconfig --no-logo

    To make logo reappear, use parameter --logo

    HTH

    Rob.

  3. Re: Nvidia splash screen: 2008.0/1

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 23:57:23 +1000, Rob wrote:

    > chris wrote:
    >
    >> I downloaded the 2008.1 live ISO to see how it would handle my laptop
    >> hardware. Then I thought I'd try it on my main PC. When I looked at the
    >> graphics setup I noticed it had installed the Nvidia server. I was a
    >> bit surprised, as I thought this only came with the full commercial
    >> version. So my question is: can I remove the Nvidia splash screen that
    >> comes up with my installed 2008.0? It doesn't appear at all when I boot
    >> from the 2008.1 DVD.

    > Chris
    >
    > You should have an app called nvidia-xconfig installed. Running the
    > following in a terminal (as root user) will stop flash screen on next
    > reboot:
    >
    > nvidia-xconfig --no-logo
    >
    > To make logo reappear, use parameter --logo
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Rob.

    Excellent, Rob! Many thanks.

    I haven't tried using non-proprietary drivers for the Nvidia. I'll try
    that to see if it gives acceptable results.

    Chris

    Chris

  4. Re: Nvidia splash screen: 2008.0/1

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 16:19:19 +0000, chris wrote:

    > On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 23:57:23 +1000, Rob wrote:
    >
    >> chris wrote:
    >>
    >>> I downloaded the 2008.1 live ISO to see how it would handle my laptop
    >>> hardware. Then I thought I'd try it on my main PC. When I looked at
    >>> the graphics setup I noticed it had installed the Nvidia server. I was
    >>> a bit surprised, as I thought this only came with the full commercial
    >>> version. So my question is: can I remove the Nvidia splash screen that
    >>> comes up with my installed 2008.0? It doesn't appear at all when I
    >>> boot from the 2008.1 DVD.

    >> Chris
    >>
    >> You should have an app called nvidia-xconfig installed. Running the
    >> following in a terminal (as root user) will stop flash screen on next
    >> reboot:
    >>
    >> nvidia-xconfig --no-logo
    >>
    >> To make logo reappear, use parameter --logo
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>
    >> Rob.

    > Excellent, Rob! Many thanks.
    >
    > I haven't tried using non-proprietary drivers for the Nvidia. I'll try
    > that to see if it gives acceptable results.
    >
    > Chris
    >
    > Chris

    There is also the possibility when booting from the DVD it is using the
    "nv" driver and in that case you wouldn't get a splash screen.

  5. Re: Nvidia splash screen: 2008.0/1

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 21:23:50 -0500, Les B. Labbauf wrote:

    > On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 16:19:19 +0000, chris wrote:

    >>> Chris
    >>>
    >>> You should have an app called nvidia-xconfig installed. Running the
    >>> following in a terminal (as root user) will stop flash screen on next
    >>> reboot:
    >>>
    >>> nvidia-xconfig --no-logo
    >>>
    >>> To make logo reappear, use parameter --logo
    >>>
    >>> HTH
    >>>
    >>> Rob.

    >> Excellent, Rob! Many thanks.
    >>
    >> I haven't tried using non-proprietary drivers for the Nvidia. I'll try
    >> that to see if it gives acceptable results.
    >>
    >> Chris
    >>
    >> Chris

    > There is also the possibility when booting from the DVD it is using the
    > "nv" driver and in that case you wouldn't get a splash screen.

    No, I checked the live boot settings (as I thought I was getting a better
    display than the workstation had, and wanted to copy the settings). It
    was definitely using the Nvidia drivers. (I tried switching to 'nv' on my
    workstation, but it crashed the graphics.)

    Chris

+ Reply to Thread