K3B - Mandriva

This is a discussion on K3B - Mandriva ; howdy howdy... new problem showing up in K3B..the dreaded "input/output error when I try to burn a dvd.iso.. looked online and tried all suggestions I could find..i.e. different disks,dma on and off, lower write speed,uninstall and reinstall k3b, hmm what ...

  1. K3B

    howdy howdy... new problem showing up in K3B..the dreaded "input/output
    error when I try to burn a dvd.iso.. looked online and tried all
    suggestions I could find..i.e. different disks,dma on and off, lower write
    speed,uninstall and reinstall k3b, hmm what else...dvd+rw tools installed..
    even though I tried +r,-r,double layer disks,dvd +/-rw as well as different
    brand names..okay I'm out of ideas...anybody have this problem and fixed
    it?
    --
    Reg

  2. Re: K3B

    Reg wrote:

    > howdy howdy... new problem showing up in K3B..the dreaded "input/output
    > error when I try to burn a dvd.iso.. looked online and tried all
    > suggestions I could find..i.e. different disks,dma on and off, lower write
    > speed,uninstall and reinstall k3b, hmm what else...dvd+rw tools
    > installed.. even though I tried +r,-r,double layer disks,dvd +/-rw as well
    > as different brand names..okay I'm out of ideas...anybody have this
    > problem and fixed it?

    is growisofs installed

  3. Re: K3B

    In article , Reg wrote:
    > howdy howdy... new problem showing up in K3B..the dreaded "input/output
    > error when I try to burn a dvd.iso.. looked online and tried all
    > suggestions I could find..i.e. different disks,dma on and off, lower write
    > speed,uninstall and reinstall k3b, hmm what else...dvd+rw tools installed..
    > even though I tried +r,-r,double layer disks,dvd +/-rw as well as different
    > brand names..okay I'm out of ideas...anybody have this problem and fixed
    > it?

    Much as I hate to suggest it, perhaps your burner is in the process of packing
    it in and will need to be replaced.

    W.

  4. Re: K3B

    watcher@moog.netaxs.com wrote:

    > In article , Reg wrote:
    >> howdy howdy... new problem showing up in K3B..the dreaded "input/output
    >> error when I try to burn a dvd.iso.. looked online and tried all
    >> suggestions I could find..i.e. different disks,dma on and off, lower
    >> write speed,uninstall and reinstall k3b, hmm what else...dvd+rw tools
    >> installed.. even though I tried +r,-r,double layer disks,dvd +/-rw as
    >> well as different brand names..okay I'm out of ideas...anybody have this
    >> problem and fixed it?

    > Much as I hate to suggest it, perhaps your burner is in the process of
    > packing it in and will need to be replaced.

    I hate that you suggested that too..lol..the drive's about a month old..just
    HAD to try lightscribe in linux ... I'm gonna try to burn everything BUT
    a dvd.iso to see if anything works... thanks for the responses
    --
    Reg

  5. Re: K3B

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 23:14:58 +0000, Reg wrote:

    >> In article , Reg wrote:
    >>> howdy howdy... new problem showing up in K3B..the dreaded
    >>> "input/output error when I try to burn a dvd.iso..

    Can I ask, is this a SATA drive? I've had nothing but trouble with K3B
    after installing a SATA (DVR215) burner. Works fine for CDs, but takes
    forever to recognise DVDs even though HAL sees the disk and pops up the
    multiple choice window. K3B takes 2 minutes to start up if I put a DVD
    into the drive before starting it, then another 2 minutes to "see" the
    disk in the drive.
    Googled the problem and found similar problems with USB drives with
    recent versions of K3B.
    Now using Brasero without problems on the same drive, (just to disprove
    the shouts of "Your drive is broke")

    Although Brasero is quite good at what I want to do, it doesn't have all
    the bells and whistles of K3B.

  6. Re: K3B

    Artful Codger wrote:

    > Can I ask, is this a SATA drive? I've had nothing but trouble with K3B
    > after installing a SATA (DVR215) burner. Works fine for CDs, but takes
    > forever to recognise DVDs even though HAL sees the disk and pops up the
    > multiple choice window. K3B takes 2 minutes to start up if I put a DVD
    > into the drive before starting it, then another 2 minutes to "see" the
    > disk in the drive.
    > Googled the problem and found similar problems with USB drives with
    > recent versions of K3B.
    > Now using Brasero without problems on the same drive, (just to disprove
    > the shouts of "Your drive is broke")
    >
    > Although Brasero is quite good at what I want to do, it doesn't have all
    > the bells and whistles of K3B.

    Using MDV2007.1 (still), when burning a DVD I use k9copy in conjunction
    with k3b

    Frank

  7. Re: K3B

    Artful Codger wrote:

    > Can I ask, is this a SATA drive? I've had nothing but trouble with K3B
    > after installing a SATA (DVR215) burner. Works fine for CDs, but takes
    > forever to recognise DVDs even though HAL sees the disk and pops up the
    > multiple choice window. K3B takes 2 minutes to start up if I put a DVD
    > into the drive before starting it, then another 2 minutes to "see" the
    > disk in the drive.
    > Googled the problem and found similar problems with USB drives with
    > recent versions of K3B.
    > Now using Brasero without problems on the same drive, (just to disprove
    > the shouts of "Your drive is broke")
    >
    > Although Brasero is quite good at what I want to do, it doesn't have all
    > the bells and whistles of K3B.

    Actually it is an SATA.. but I haven't had this problem in awhile... oddly
    enough it went away on it's own (?).. but just in case I'm gonna check out
    this "brasero" you speak of.

+ Reply to Thread