Logitech wirless keyboard doesn't work now - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Logitech wirless keyboard doesn't work now - Mandriva ; I have just had to re install the system bootloader onto my Mandriva 2008 system due to a re install of a MS windows product, and now my Logitech wireless keyboard is very unresponsive, ie it is very slow to ...

  1. Logitech wirless keyboard doesn't work now

    I have just had to re install the system bootloader onto my Mandriva
    2008 system due to a re install of a MS windows product, and now my
    Logitech wireless keyboard is very unresponsive, ie it is very slow to
    respond.
    Before Mandriva boots up, the keyboard is ok, as it is in windows, but
    after the desktop has loaded, I have to really press down on any key to
    get it to appear. This is the same in any program I use including trying
    to type in google.

    Any ideas please?
    Thanks

  2. Re: Logitech wirless keyboard doesn't work now

    Bob H wrote:
    > I have just had to re install the system bootloader onto my Mandriva
    > 2008 system due to a re install of a MS windows product, and now my
    > Logitech wireless keyboard is very unresponsive, ie it is very slow to
    > respond.
    > Before Mandriva boots up, the keyboard is ok, as it is in windows, but
    > after the desktop has loaded, I have to really press down on any key to
    > get it to appear. This is the same in any program I use including trying
    > to type in google.
    >
    > Any ideas please?

    The bootloader should have nothing to do with the keyboard.
    I do not understand what you mean by "Before Mandriva boots up,
    the keyboard is ok,...but after the desktop has loaded" bad news.

    Do you mean that after Mandriva (the operating system) has booted
    but before the graphic user interface (GUI -- probably KDE or
    GNOME) has loaded, the keyboard is ok? If so, the problem is
    in the GUI software.

    If the problem is with the OS,

    Have you tried running drakkeyboard and reselecting your
    wireless keyboard?

    Then perhaps look at the contents of
    /etc/sysconfig/keyboard and /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Check to make
    sure /etc/rc.d/init.d/keytable and /etc/X11/xinit/fixkeyboard
    exist.

    If the problem is with the GUI, you may need to go into the
    Mandriva Linux Control Center, to hardware, to configure
    keyboard and mouse and select your keyboard. This will probably
    be the same choices as drakkeyboard provided. You may also need
    to go into the Desktop configuration tool (e.g. KDE Control)
    and find the keyboard setting (perhaps under peripherals) and
    reset things there.

    FWIW, if trying the above does not clear things, please provide
    some information that might allow a trouble-shooter to identify
    potential problems. What was the MS rubbish installed? What
    exactly resulted? What version of Mandriva are you using? What
    desktop? Are there any error messages found in /var/log/messages
    that would shed light on the problem? What is the model designator
    for your keyboard? Do you have a regular keyboard for the machine
    and did it work properly if plugged in?

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: Logitech wirless keyboard doesn't work now

    Jim Beard wrote:
    > Bob H wrote:
    >> I have just had to re install the system bootloader onto my Mandriva
    >> 2008 system due to a re install of a MS windows product, and now my
    >> Logitech wireless keyboard is very unresponsive, ie it is very slow to
    >> respond.
    >> Before Mandriva boots up, the keyboard is ok, as it is in windows, but
    >> after the desktop has loaded, I have to really press down on any key
    >> to get it to appear. This is the same in any program I use including
    >> trying to type in google.
    >>
    >> Any ideas please?

    > The bootloader should have nothing to do with the keyboard.
    > I do not understand what you mean by "Before Mandriva boots up,
    > the keyboard is ok,...but after the desktop has loaded" bad news.
    >
    > Do you mean that after Mandriva (the operating system) has booted
    > but before the graphic user interface (GUI -- probably KDE or
    > GNOME) has loaded, the keyboard is ok? If so, the problem is
    > in the GUI software.

    What I mean is this: when my pc is first swithched on and the BIOS
    screen appears the keyboard is ok, ie responsive. Then the GRUB menu
    appears, and I arrow down to Mandriva 2008 which I installed before
    Christmas 2007.
    Mandriva 2008 boots up? and I press the ESC key to see the boot up
    sequence/procedure/whatever.
    Then the desktop (KDE) appears, and it is from there on that my
    wireless keyboard becomes un responsive as described above.

    > If the problem is with the OS,

    So is it the OS that is the problem?

    > Have you tried running drakkeyboard and reselecting your
    > wireless keyboard?

    Yes, and it made no difference

    > Then perhaps look at the contents of
    > /etc/sysconfig/keyboard and /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Check to make
    > sure /etc/rc.d/init.d/keytable and /etc/X11/xinit/fixkeyboard
    > exist.

    I did, and they do

    > If the problem is with the GUI, you may need to go into the
    > Mandriva Linux Control Center, to hardware, to configure
    > keyboard and mouse and select your keyboard. This will probably
    > be the same choices as drakkeyboard provided. You may also need
    > to go into the Desktop configuration tool (e.g. KDE Control)
    > and find the keyboard setting (perhaps under peripherals) and
    > reset things there.

    I went into MCC and confgured my keyboard etc from there. I also went
    into KDE Control/peripherals to reduce the type rate from 250 to 100
    something/sec, but it made no difference

    > FWIW, if trying the above does not clear things, please provide
    > some information that might allow a trouble-shooter to identify
    > potential problems. What was the MS rubbish installed? What
    > exactly resulted? What version of Mandriva are you using? What
    > desktop? Are there any error messages found in /var/log/messages
    > that would shed light on the problem? What is the model designator
    > for your keyboard? Do you have a regular keyboard for the machine
    > and did it work properly if plugged in?

    I tried a regular? PS2 logitech keyboard and it made no difference
    again, in that it also was unresponsive or I should say any keypresses
    did not immediately appear in any text boxes etc etc.

    Anything else I should try?

    Thanks

    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.
    >
    > --
    > UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    > expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Re: Logitech wirless keyboard doesn't work now

    Bob H wrote:

    > I tried a regular? PS2 logitech keyboard and it made no difference
    > again, in that it also was unresponsive or I should say any keypresses
    > did not immediately appear in any text boxes etc etc.
    >
    > Anything else I should try?

    Use an ascii editor to change line id:5:initdefault:
    in /etc/inittab to id:3:initdefault:
    Then reboot. You should come up with a login
    terminal, rather than the kde GUI. See if the
    keyboard works properly there. If so, KDE is
    the culprit, and the problem may be in X11 in
    the config files under /etc/X11 or in the
    config files under /usr/share, but I have no
    familiarity with that.

    If the problem is with the OS, and exists when you
    boot to run level 3, I would look at the BIOS settings
    next, and then at config files under /etc
    (cd /etc; grep -R kbd * and then grep -R keyboard *).

    Beyond that, I am at a loss.

    Good Luck!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  5. Re: Logitech wirless keyboard doesn't work now

    Jarle Bremnes wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 14:54:00 +0000, Bob H wrote:
    >
    >> I tried a regular? PS2 logitech keyboard and it made no difference
    >> again, in that it also was unresponsive or I should say any keypresses
    >> did not immediately appear in any text boxes etc etc.
    >>
    >> Anything else I should try?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Any chance you may have activated 'slow keys' by accidentally pressing
    > down on a key for several seconds? You can check in the KDE control
    > centre under "regional & accessibility" - select third tab from left. (I
    > do not have the exact English names available as I am set up with
    > Norwegian, but the location should be the same.)

    Thanks that did it.
    If I deselect 'Sow keys' it is too fast, so I selected and adjusted the
    slider. But its a bit tricky to get right.
    Thanks again.

  6. Re: Logitech wirless keyboard doesn't work now

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 14:54:00 +0000, Bob H wrote:

    > I tried a regular? PS2 logitech keyboard and it made no difference
    > again, in that it also was unresponsive or I should say any keypresses
    > did not immediately appear in any text boxes etc etc.
    >
    > Anything else I should try?
    >
    > Thanks

    Any chance you may have activated 'slow keys' by accidentally pressing
    down on a key for several seconds? You can check in the KDE control
    centre under "regional & accessibility" - select third tab from left. (I
    do not have the exact English names available as I am set up with
    Norwegian, but the location should be the same.)

    --
    Jarle - registered linux user #276465 - http://counter.li.org/

  7. Re: Logitech wirless keyboard doesn't work now

    Bob H wrote:

    > I have just had to re install the system bootloader onto my Mandriva
    > 2008 system due to a re install of a MS windows product, and now my
    > Logitech wireless keyboard is very unresponsive, ie it is very slow to
    > respond.
    > Before Mandriva boots up, the keyboard is ok, as it is in windows, but
    > after the desktop has loaded, I have to really press down on any key to
    > get it to appear. This is the same in any program I use including trying
    > to type in google.
    >
    > Any ideas please?
    > Thanks

    That's strange my Logiteck wireless keyboard and mouse work fine in Man 2008
    but I don't have windblows on my system. You might want to check your
    batteries.

    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  8. Re: Logitech wirless keyboard doesn't work now

    evodawg wrote:
    > Bob H wrote:
    >
    >> I have just had to re install the system bootloader onto my Mandriva
    >> 2008 system due to a re install of a MS windows product, and now my
    >> Logitech wireless keyboard is very unresponsive, ie it is very slow to
    >> respond.
    >> Before Mandriva boots up, the keyboard is ok, as it is in windows, but
    >> after the desktop has loaded, I have to really press down on any key to
    >> get it to appear. This is the same in any program I use including trying
    >> to type in google.
    >>
    >> Any ideas please?
    >> Thanks

    > That's strange my Logiteck wireless keyboard and mouse work fine in Man 2008
    > but I don't have windblows on my system. You might want to check your
    > batteries.

    Yes it is because I have had Mandriva for about 7 months now and
    everything was working fine until today. All I did was re install the
    bootloader, then the keyboard went weird, but its ok now. See my post above.

  9. Thumbs up Re: Logitech wirless keyboard doesn't work now

    If you don't come right with the above answers, then try holding in the shift key for about 10 sec, as you might have sticky /or slow keys enabled. That worked for me once

+ Reply to Thread