Radeon 3870 -- Mandriva 2008.1? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Radeon 3870 -- Mandriva 2008.1? - Mandriva ; I'm getting ready to buy a new machine for home use / environmental modeling--will be using it for very high resolution scientific graphics. The obvious choices would seem to be NV 9600GT and ATI Radeon 3870. (or else spend more ...

  1. Radeon 3870 -- Mandriva 2008.1?

    I'm getting ready to buy a new machine for home use / environmental
    modeling--will be using it for very high resolution scientific graphics.
    The obvious choices would seem to be NV 9600GT and ATI Radeon 3870.
    (or else spend more than I can justify to my wife for a QuadroFX or
    FireGL workstation card).

    If I'm reading correctly, the Mandriva 2008.1 release does not support
    the former, but does the latter (although not 3870 X2). Is that right?

    And if so, how big can I make the XORG virtual display support?
    I routinely run 2800x2400 on a Quadro 4500 at the office; will the
    3870 support virtual displays that large?

    -- Carlie J. Coats, Jr.

  2. Re: Radeon 3870 -- Mandriva 2008.1?

    Carlie J. Coats wrote:

    > I'm getting ready to buy a new machine for home use / environmental
    > modeling--will be using it for very high resolution scientific graphics.
    > The obvious choices would seem to be NV 9600GT and ATI Radeon 3870.
    > (or else spend more than I can justify to my wife for a QuadroFX or
    > FireGL workstation card).

    You may want to do some searching in alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

    The nVidia 8800GT may be the non-obvious contender. Plus, check the
    length of the Radeon 3870 and the length of the slot in your machine.
    There has been at least one complaint of a misfit.

    Sorry, but I cannot help with the tech details. My system has a
    dead-simple generic Soyo LCD monitor and all I require is easy
    readability....

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --