Updating lists of installed software - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Updating lists of installed software - Mandriva ; Mandriva 2008.1: I installed OpenOffice 2.4 directly from the OpenOffice.org site rather than with urpmi. How would I update the list of installed software (?? presumably in /var/lib/urpmi/names.*) so that urpmi --auto-select doesn't ask to install an earlier version)? Thanks ...

  1. Updating lists of installed software

    Mandriva 2008.1:
    I installed OpenOffice 2.4 directly from the OpenOffice.org site rather
    than with urpmi. How would I update the list of installed software
    (?? presumably in /var/lib/urpmi/names.*) so that urpmi --auto-select
    doesn't ask to install an earlier version)?
    Thanks and regards
    Grimble

  2. Re: Updating lists of installed software

    On Sun, 04 May 2008 14:30:56 +0100, Grimble wrote:
    > Mandriva 2008.1:
    > I installed OpenOffice 2.4 directly from the OpenOffice.org site rather
    > than with urpmi. How would I update the list of installed software
    > (?? presumably in /var/lib/urpmi/names.*) so that urpmi --auto-select
    > doesn't ask to install an earlier version)?

    Have you tried clicking up a terminal and doing a

    man urpmi

    skip looks promising

  3. Re: Updating lists of installed software

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 May 2008 14:30:56 +0100, Grimble wrote:
    >> Mandriva 2008.1:
    >> I installed OpenOffice 2.4 directly from the OpenOffice.org site rather
    >> than with urpmi. How would I update the list of installed software
    >> (?? presumably in /var/lib/urpmi/names.*) so that urpmi --auto-select
    >> doesn't ask to install an earlier version)?

    > Have you tried clicking up a terminal and doing a
    >
    > man urpmi
    >
    > skip looks promising

    Hi Bit; I know about "skip" and have used it in the past. I suppose I
    should have asked more directly:
    Where is the list of packages and versions kept so that OpenOffice 2.2.1
    is considered an update
    on what is installed, even when nothing lower than 2.4 is actually
    installed?

  4. Re: Updating lists of installed software

    On Sun, 04 May 2008 15:35:32 +0100, Grimble wrote:

    > Hi Bit; I know about "skip" and have used it in the past. I suppose I
    > should have asked more directly:

    I wondered what was going on. If you install a higher version rpm
    package from the third party, urpmi should not downgrade to a lower
    release.

    > Where is the list of packages and versions kept so that OpenOffice 2.2.1
    > is considered an update
    > on what is installed, even when nothing lower than 2.4 is actually
    > installed?

    I never bothered to look. urpmi is a wrapper around rpm.
    rpm has a database of what is installed.
    Your urpmi *.cz files are what are on the mirrors.
    Updates are computed on the differences.

    You install a 2.2. then any mirror with 2.3.+ is going to be a valid
    update to be installed.

    You are going to be forced to use the skip feature to suppress updates
    when running a lower release of a program when there is a higher
    version in your mirror list.

    I would not recommend dinking with the rpm database files.
    But if you want the "experience" do a

    man rpm

    and look under Files section.

  5. Re: Updating lists of installed software

    On Sun, 04 May 2008 15:20:18 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Sun, 04 May 2008 15:35:32 +0100, Grimble wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Bit; I know about "skip" and have used it in the past. I suppose I
    >> should have asked more directly:

    > I wondered what was going on. If you install a higher version rpm
    > package from the third party, urpmi should not downgrade to a lower
    > release.

    I suspect the install was from a tar and not rpm.

  6. Re: Updating lists of installed software

    On Sun, 04 May 2008 10:50:54 -0500, Jim Whitby wrote:

    > I suspect the install was from a tar and not rpm.

    Good as guess as any because I checked on the site's download seciton
    and found the lowest release as 2.3.x

    Plenty of download selections for rpm.

  7. Re: Updating lists of installed software

    Jim Whitby wrote:

    > On Sun, 04 May 2008 15:20:18 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 04 May 2008 15:35:32 +0100, Grimble wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi Bit; I know about "skip" and have used it in the past. I suppose I
    >>> should have asked more directly:

    >> I wondered what was going on. If you install a higher version rpm
    >> package from the third party, urpmi should not downgrade to a lower
    >> release.
    >>

    > I suspect the install was from a tar and not rpm.

    Jim

    I just checked on the OOo site and the download is of a tar.gz format file,
    which I believe one installs via a setup script.

    The OP should run 'rpm -q openoffice.org

    This will let you know if OOo is installed on your system via a rpm package.

    The OP should tell us if this version displayed is the one he download. If
    not, and this is what I'd expect, then use 'urpme openoffice.org' to
    uninstall to original version which was installed by the Mandriva distro
    setup installation.

    Check if OOo (downloaded version) is still installed - I'd most certainly
    expect it to still be there - most likely in /opt hierarchy if I remember
    previous manual installations correctly.

    The OOo installed then is *not* installed via rpm and no OOo is registered
    with rpm database - use rpm -q again to check this out - it should say not
    installed. If this is correct, then any future urpmi update (on this
    setup) will *not* affect OOo even if there is a newer version than what you
    installed because urpmi (and rpm) updates only operate on software that
    that has an installed version.

    I hope you can understand what I've written - it's way past my bed time here
    in southern Oz (~2am)

    HTH
    Rob.

  8. Re: Updating lists of installed software

    On Mon, 05 May 2008 02:21:24 +1000, Rob wrote:

    > Jim Whitby wrote:

    >>> I wondered what was going on. If you install a higher version rpm
    >>> package from the third party, urpmi should not downgrade to a lower
    >>> release.
    >>>

    >> I suspect the install was from a tar and not rpm.

    > Jim
    >

    > I hope you can understand what I've written - it's way past my bed time
    > here in southern Oz (~2am)
    >
    > HTH
    > Rob.

    Makes sense to me.

    Now if the OP understands he's home free.

  9. Re: Updating lists of installed software

    On Sun, 04 May 2008 09:30:56 -0400, Grimble wrote:

    > I installed OpenOffice 2.4 directly from the OpenOffice.org site rather
    > than with urpmi. How would I update the list of installed software
    > (?? presumably in /var/lib/urpmi/names.*) so that urpmi --auto-select
    > doesn't ask to install an earlier version)?

    Did you install using .rpm file, or a script?

    If you installed using an rpm, urpmi --auto-select *should* recognize
    the difference between version numbers properly, however, since Mandriva
    customizes their version of ooo, the version numbers may not match exactly,
    and auto-select may correctly view the mandriva versions as an update.
    In this case, if you don't want the mandriva versions, then /etc/urpmi/skip.list
    is the only way to stop it. The list of installed packages is stored in the
    database files in /var/lib/rpm. Don't even think about editing them.

    If you installed using a script, and you had not previously installed ooo
    using rpm, then urpmi/rpm do not know that the package is installed, and
    the auto-select will not look for an update.

    If you installed using rpm, and then updated using a script, you've got
    a mess of mandrive/local files. In that case, I'd uninstall both, and
    then re-install using the script.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  10. Re: Updating lists of installed software

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > Did you install using .rpm file, or a script?
    >
    > If you installed using an rpm, urpmi --auto-select *should* recognize
    > the difference between version numbers properly, however, since Mandriva
    > customizes their version of ooo, the version numbers may not match exactly,
    > and auto-select may correctly view the mandriva versions as an update.
    > In this case, if you don't want the mandriva versions, then /etc/urpmi/skip.list
    > is the only way to stop it. The list of installed packages is stored in the
    > database files in /var/lib/rpm. Don't even think about editing them.
    >
    > If you installed using a script, and you had not previously installed ooo
    > using rpm, then urpmi/rpm do not know that the package is installed, and
    > the auto-select will not look for an update.
    >
    > If you installed using rpm, and then updated using a script, you've got
    > a mess of mandrive/local files. In that case, I'd uninstall both, and
    > then re-install using the script.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Open Office is downloaded as a .tar.gz file, and is installed as a
    series of rpms after untarring.
    #rpm -q openoffice.org
    openoffice.org-2.2.1-4.1mdv2008.0
    #urpme openoffice.org
    To satisfy dependencies, the following 3 packages will be removed (407MB):
    openoffice.org-2.2.1-4.1mdv2008.0.i586
    openoffice.org-kde-2.2.1-4.1mdv2008.0.i586
    openoffice.org-l10n-en_GB-2.2.1-4.1mdv2008.0.i586
    removing openoffice.org-2.2.1-4.1mdv2008.0.i586
    openoffice.org-kde-2.2.1-4.1mdv2008.0.i586
    openoffice.org-l10n-en_GB-2.2.1-4.1mdv2008.0.i586
    removing package openoffice.org-2.2.1-4.1mdv2008.0.i586
    removing package openoffice.org-l10n-en_GB-2.2.1-4.1mdv2008.0.i586
    removing package openoffice.org-kde-2.2.1-4.1mdv2008.0.i586
    # rpm -q openoffice.org
    package openoffice.org is not installed
    So now everything is up-to-date, and the update script doesn't offer to
    install OpenOffice.
    Thanks for all your comments

+ Reply to Thread