2008.1 and wmware server - Mandriva

This is a discussion on 2008.1 and wmware server - Mandriva ; I am having an install problem with version 1.0.5 when the module compilation is in progress. it doesn't get far, so here is the whole of the log: Building the vmmon module. Using 2.6.x kernel build system. make: Entering directory ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: 2008.1 and wmware server

  1. 2008.1 and wmware server

    I am having an install problem with version 1.0.5 when the module
    compilation is in progress. it doesn't get far, so here is the whole of the
    log:

    Building the vmmon module.

    Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
    make: Entering directory `/root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.24.4-1mnbcustom/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD
    SRCROOT=$PWD/. modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.24.4-1mnb'
    CC [M] /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o
    In file included
    from /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/./include/vmware.h:25,
    from /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:48:
    /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/./include/vm_basic_types.h:161: error:
    conflicting types for ‘uin
    tptr_t’
    include/linux/types.h:40: error: previous declaration of ‘uintptr_t’ was
    here
    In file included from /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.h:20,
    from /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:49:
    /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/./include/compat_wait.h:37:5:
    warning: "VMW_HAVE_EPOLL" is not de
    fined
    /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/./include/compat_wait.h:43:5:
    warning: "VMW_HAVE_EPOLL" is not de
    fined
    In file included from /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.h:20,
    from /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:49:
    /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/./include/compat_wait.h:60: error:
    conflicting types for ‘poll_in itwait’
    include/linux/poll.h:65: error: previous declaration of ‘poll_initwait’ was
    here
    /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:147: warning:
    initialization from incompatible poi nter type
    /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:151: warning:
    initialization from incompatible poi nter type
    /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c: In
    function ‘LinuxDriver_Ioctl’:
    /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:1659: error: ‘struct
    mm_struct’ has no member name d ‘dumpable’
    make[2]: *** [/root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.24.4-1mnb'
    make: *** [vmmon.ko] Error 2
    make: Leaving directory `/root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only'
    Unable to build the vmmon module.

    For more information on how to troubleshoot module-related problems, please
    visit our Web site at "http://www.vmware.com/download/modules/modules.html"
    and
    "http://www.vmware.com/support/reference/linux/prebuilt_modules_linux.html".

    Execution aborted.

    Can anyone suggest how I might overcome this?


  2. Re: 2008.1 and wmware server

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > I am having an install problem with version 1.0.5 when the module
    > compilation is in progress. it doesn't get far, so here is the whole of
    > the log:
    >
    > Building the vmmon module.
    >
    > Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
    > make: Entering directory `/root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only'
    > make -C /lib/modules/2.6.24.4-1mnbcustom/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD
    > SRCROOT=$PWD/. modules
    > make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.24.4-1mnb'
    > CC [M] /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o
    > In file included
    > from /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/./include/vmware.h:25,
    > from
    > /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:48:
    > /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/./include/vm_basic_types.h:161: error:
    > conflicting types for ?uin
    > tptr_t?
    > include/linux/types.h:40: error: previous declaration of ?uintptr_t? was
    > here
    > In file included from
    > /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.h:20,
    > from
    > /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:49:
    > /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/./include/compat_wait.h:37:5:
    > warning: "VMW_HAVE_EPOLL" is not de
    > fined
    > /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/./include/compat_wait.h:43:5:
    > warning: "VMW_HAVE_EPOLL" is not de
    > fined
    > In file included from
    > /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.h:20,
    > from
    > /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:49:
    > /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/./include/compat_wait.h:60: error:
    > conflicting types for ?poll_in itwait?
    > include/linux/poll.h:65: error: previous declaration of ?poll_initwait?
    > was here
    > /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:147: warning:
    > initialization from incompatible poi nter
    > type /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:151: warning:
    > initialization from incompatible poi nter
    > type /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c: In
    > function ?LinuxDriver_Ioctl?:
    > /root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:1659: error: ?struct
    > mm_struct? has no member name d ?dumpable?
    > make[2]: *** [/root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o] Error 1
    > make[1]: *** [_module_/root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only] Error 2
    > make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.24.4-1mnb'
    > make: *** [vmmon.ko] Error 2
    > make: Leaving directory `/root/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only'
    > Unable to build the vmmon module.
    >
    > For more information on how to troubleshoot module-related problems,
    > please visit our Web site at
    > "http://www.vmware.com/download/modules/modules.html" and
    > "http://www.vmware.com/support/reference/linux/prebuilt_modules_linux.html".
    >
    > Execution aborted.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest how I might overcome this?



    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2008.1_Errata

  3. Re: 2008.1 and wmware server

    Amrein-Marie Christophe wrote:

    Neither suggestions related to the problem.

    >> "http://www.vmware.com/download/modules/modules.html"


    That page deals with vmware tools. That has nothing to do with installing
    vmwae server. It is installed from the guest in my experience.

    >> "http://www.vmware.com/support/reference/linux/prebuilt_modules_linux.html".


    And that one doesn't deal with vmware server either!

    I have had no trouble with previous versions of Mandriva. This one took m by
    surprise.




  4. Re: 2008.1 and wmware server

    Alan Secker wrote:
    > Amrein-Marie Christophe wrote:
    >
    > Neither suggestions related to the problem.
    >
    >>> "http://www.vmware.com/download/modules/modules.html"

    >
    > That page deals with vmware tools. That has nothing to do with installing
    > vmwae server. It is installed from the guest in my experience.
    >
    >>> "http://www.vmware.com/support/reference/linux/prebuilt_modules_linux.html".

    >
    > And that one doesn't deal with vmware server either!
    >
    > I have had no trouble with previous versions of Mandriva. This one took m by
    > surprise.
    >
    >
    >


    Already tried the any-any update?

    I needed that one to install VMware server on my Mandriva
    2008.1 system.

    Also after compiling you have to do:

    cd /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
    mv libgcc_s.so.1 libgcc_s.so.1.old
    ln -sf /lib/libgcc_s.so.1

    It all has to do with VMware server not yet adapted to
    Mandriva 2008.1. Its not the fault of Mandriva, but one made
    by the makers of VMware. Just wait until the next (small)
    version number increase, and VMware will compile good...

    Until then - use the above named solutions.

    John.

  5. Re: 2008.1 and wmware server

    John Kloosterman wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >> Amrein-Marie Christophe wrote:
    >>
    >> Neither suggestions related to the problem.
    >>
    >>>> "http://www.vmware.com/download/modules/modules.html"

    >>
    >> That page deals with vmware tools. That has nothing to do with installing
    >> vmwae server. It is installed from the guest in my experience.
    >>
    >>>> "http://www.vmware.com/support/reference/linux/prebuilt_modules_linux.html".

    >>
    >> And that one doesn't deal with vmware server either!
    >>
    >> I have had no trouble with previous versions of Mandriva. This one took m
    >> by surprise.
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Already tried the any-any update?
    >
    > I needed that one to install VMware server on my Mandriva
    > 2008.1 system.
    >
    > Also after compiling you have to do:
    >
    > cd /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
    > mv libgcc_s.so.1 libgcc_s.so.1.old
    > ln -sf /lib/libgcc_s.so.1
    >
    > It all has to do with VMware server not yet adapted to
    > Mandriva 2008.1. Its not the fault of Mandriva, but one made
    > by the makers of VMware. Just wait until the next (small)
    > version number increase, and VMware will compile good...
    >
    > Until then - use the above named solutions.
    >
    > John.


    I really thought your message wa the answer to my prayers. I hadn't tried
    the any-any so I downloaded version #109 and tried it. Same result. I
    assumed that this had to be a kernel issue. keying in urpmi kernel-source
    brought up a number of strange titles, none of which seemed to match the
    current 'uname -r' so I chose something that showed 2.6.24,4-1mdvtmbcustom
    in its Makefile. After compiling and running this,
    any-any behaved as before but I lost all sound!

    When I checked the GUI software management routine, no kernel items, source
    or otherwise appear anywhere! I'm now convinced that this is a dodgy
    installation and I should possibly start all over again!




  6. Re: 2008.1 and wmware server

    Alan Secker wrote:

    >
    > I really thought your message wa the answer to my prayers. I hadn't tried
    > the any-any so I downloaded version #109 and tried it. Same result. I
    > assumed that this had to be a kernel issue. keying in urpmi kernel-source
    > brought up a number of strange titles, none of which seemed to match the
    > current 'uname -r' so I chose something that showed 2.6.24,4-1mdvtmbcustom
    > in its Makefile. After compiling and running this,
    > any-any behaved as before but I lost all sound!
    >
    > When I checked the GUI software management routine, no kernel items, source
    > or otherwise appear anywhere! I'm now convinced that this is a dodgy
    > installation and I should possibly start all over again!


    Hmm - very strange. The kernel I use is
    2.6.24.4-desktop-1mnb. In the MCC it's selected by choosing
    kernel-desktop-latest. To compile the VMware modules I also
    have installed kernel-desktop-devel-latest, kernel-headers
    and kernel-source-latest (although I am not sure the last
    two are really needed).

    The any-any update you downloaded is a bit old. The newest
    is #119. You can download it here:

    http://vmkernelnewbies.googlegroups....update-116.tgz

    I got VMware-server working on my 2008.1 without much
    problems, so it must be possible.

    I don't know if you really need to use the server
    capabilities of VMware. If you only need some virtual
    environment (including setup new machines) you could also
    take a look at VirtualBox. You can use the MCC to install
    the open source version, or download the partially closed
    source version. The latest has more utilities (like the
    software tools for running machines) and has a newer
    version. It is downloadable as a rpm for 2008 but installs
    very nicely on 2008.1. You can install VMware-server and
    VirtualBox on the same box without any problem.

    John.

  7. Re: 2008.1 and wmware server

    John Kloosterman wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >

    //
    > Hmm - very strange. The kernel I use is
    > 2.6.24.4-desktop-1mnb. In the MCC it's selected by choosing
    > kernel-desktop-latest. To compile the VMware modules I also
    > have installed kernel-desktop-devel-latest, kernel-headers
    > and kernel-source-latest (although I am not sure the last
    > two are really needed).
    >
    > The any-any update you downloaded is a bit old. The newest
    > is #119. You can download it here:
    >
    > http://vmkernelnewbies.googlegroups....update-116.tgz
    >
    > I got VMware-server working on my 2008.1 without much
    > problems, so it must be possible.
    >


    Because of the doubts about the way I had installed Spring 2008.1 (FREE), I
    ran the installation again yesterday evening. There is definitely no stage
    where one is asked to select or deselect groups of applications to install.
    Once it had come up, I tried to recompile the same kernel that you had
    used. I couldn't even do that! So many missing tools and so tortuous to
    locate. I tend to buy Mandriva once per year. I think I'll stick to 2008.0
    for now. The only thing that didn't work on that release for me was
    Fontforge which rebooted my system!

    I notice from published reviews that others have had the same frustrations
    of missing files with 2008.1 so I'll wait and see.

    Thanks for your help.

    Alan


  8. Re: 2008.1 and wmware server

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > Because of the doubts about the way I had installed Spring 2008.1 (FREE), I
    > ran the installation again yesterday evening. There is definitely no stage
    > where one is asked to select or deselect groups of applications to install.
    > Once it had come up, I tried to recompile the same kernel that you had
    > used. I couldn't even do that! So many missing tools and so tortuous to
    > locate. I tend to buy Mandriva once per year. I think I'll stick to 2008.0
    > for now. The only thing that didn't work on that release for me was
    > Fontforge which rebooted my system!
    >
    > I notice from published reviews that others have had the same frustrations
    > of missing files with 2008.1 so I'll wait and see.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Alan
    >


    Are you sure you installed the Mandriva 2008.1 DVD?

    You see - there is also Mandriva 2008.1 "One". This one is
    fine as a live CD, but not up to par with the DVD when
    installing it on your harddisk. You really, really have to
    use the (free) install DVD and not the "One" version, if you
    are using Mandriva as a serious workstation.

    When installing the DVD at one point you get the choice of
    installing the KDE or Gnome environment. Most people look at
    that two choices, but do not notice the third choice below
    (maybe because there is no pictogram associated). That last
    choice gives you the chance to pick package groups in the
    next screen. I always do this choice because, altough I most
    times use KDE, I want to be able to use Gnome on some occasions.

    Anyway - I can guarantee you I used the free 2008.1 DVD to
    install my present system - AND I am running VMware server
    and VirtualBox without any problem (apart from using the
    any-any update to install VMware server).

    Good luck,

    John.

  9. Re: 2008.1 and wmware server

    John Kloosterman wrote:

    > Hmm - very strange. The kernel I use is
    > 2.6.24.4-desktop-1mnb. In the MCC it's selected by choosing
    > kernel-desktop-latest. To compile the VMware modules I also
    > have installed kernel-desktop-devel-latest, kernel-headers
    > and kernel-source-latest (although I am not sure the last
    > two are really needed).


    You always do need the kernel sources or at the very least the kernel
    headers whenever you want to compile a kernel module. The module's source
    code needs the kernel headers so that the compiler can link them to the
    correct API.

    The kernel headers package is kind of a stripped-down kernel sources
    package. It only contains the files needed for building software - in casu
    kernel drivers - against the kernel API.

    Just a FIY... ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  10. Re: 2008.1 and wmware server

    On Tue, 06 May 2008 08:09:48 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:

    > Because of the doubts about the way I had installed Spring 2008.1 (FREE), I
    > ran the installation again yesterday evening. There is definitely no stage
    > where one is asked to select or deselect groups of applications to install.


    If you have mandriva-linux-free-2008-spring-dvd-i586.iso
    Select Custom here
    http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/i...mdv2008/17.png
    you should see package group selection screen
    http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/i...v08samos16.png
    which also allows individual package selections.

    I usually pick all package groups execpt LSBm IceWm and Other
    Graphical Desktops and other additional packages from Individual
    package selections.

  11. Re: 2008.1 and wmware server

    John Kloosterman wrote:

    > When installing the DVD at one point you get the choice of
    > installing the KDE or Gnome environment. Most people look at
    > that two choices, but do not notice the third choice below
    > (maybe because there is no pictogram associated). That last
    > choice gives you the chance to pick package groups in the
    > next screen. I always do this choice because, altough I most
    > times use KDE, I want to be able to use Gnome on some occasions.


    > Good luck,
    >
    > John.


    You were dead right! I missed it. Unfortunately I chose the wrong option for
    my ATi graphics card at my third attempt and could not get 'X' when it came
    up. I'll fix that tonight and then try your vmware work-around.

    Thanks again

    Alan


  12. Re: 2008.1 and wmware server

    John Kloosterman wrote:

    > Anyway - I can guarantee you I used the free 2008.1 DVD to
    > install my present system - AND I am running VMware server
    > and VirtualBox without any problem (apart from using the
    > any-any update to install VMware server).
    >
    > Good luck,
    >
    > John.


    I don't know how you knew how to do it but it worked a treat.
    Thanks very much.

    Regards

    Alan

+ Reply to Thread