Transfer NG msgs from Thinderbird to /home/ - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Transfer NG msgs from Thinderbird to /home/ - Mandriva ; Although it is not really a problem , I would like to understand what's happening. In MDV2007.1 To build-up my knowledge I used to store certain messages from this NG in a Thunderbird folder. Recently I have started to copy ...

  1. Transfer NG msgs from Thinderbird to /home/

    Although it is not really a problem , I would like to understand what's
    happening.

    In MDV2007.1

    To build-up my knowledge I used to store certain messages from this NG
    in a Thunderbird folder.
    Recently I have started to copy NG messages to my /home/frank/Linux
    folder, through the usual 'right hand mouse click' .

    Using the KDE GUI the icon shows a @.
    However when I click the icon to read the msg I get the following box
    : Malformed URL , mhtml:/home/frank/Linux/
    and I can't access the file

    When I now copy the file to the desktop , the icon changes to an
    envelope and when clicking I can then read the file through kwrite.

    Question : Why does the file type changes when I move it to the desktop
    such that it becomes accessible ?

    Frank

  2. Re: Transfer NG msgs from Thinderbird to /home/

    Highland Ham wrote:

    > Although it is not really a problem , I would like to understand what's
    > happening.
    >
    > In MDV2007.1
    >
    > To build-up my knowledge I used to store certain messages from this NG
    > in a Thunderbird folder.
    > Recently I have started to copy NG messages to my /home/frank/Linux
    > folder, through the usual 'right hand mouse click' .
    >
    > Using the KDE GUI the icon shows a @.

    That's bizarre...

    > However when I click the icon to read the msg I get the following box
    > : Malformed URL , mhtml:/home/frank/Linux/
    > and I can't access the file

    Well, call me dumb but I don't even know what "mhtml" is in terms of
    protocols; it's the first time I encounter it anywhere. Still, newsgroup
    messages are not supposed to be HTML-encoded, so I presume that somewhere
    along the saving process, the file was given a filename indicating that
    it's actually an off-site link.

    > When I now copy the file to the desktop , the icon changes to an
    > envelope and when clicking I can then read the file through kwrite.

    Yes, because then KDE would know that it's a local file. When you copy the
    file, you open it and so the system knows what type of file it is. When
    you open the filemanager without opening the file itself, the filemanager
    tends to follow MIME rules for determining what file it is, so it looks at
    the name of the file, rather than reading the first bytes of the file,
    which would be the UNIX way.

    > Question : Why does the file type changes when I move it to the desktop
    > such that it becomes accessible ?

    It doesn't change. KDE just makes it appear so, because it got confused by
    the MIME type when listing the file in the directory, and upon copying it
    found out what filetype it _really_ was. My guess is that KDE would still
    have been confused if you had only symlinked it to your desktop - which is
    a directory.

    Just a guess though. I've never done any such exotic things myself. If I
    want to save a Usenet post, I either save it in a /KNode/ folder or I save
    it as a /.txt/ file. Never had any problems with that. ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: Transfer NG msgs from Thinderbird to /home/

    Aragorn wrote:
    > Highland Ham wrote:
    >
    >> Although it is not really a problem , I would like to understand what's
    >> happening.
    >>
    >> In MDV2007.1
    >>
    >> To build-up my knowledge I used to store certain messages from this NG
    >> in a Thunderbird folder.
    >> Recently I have started to copy NG messages to my /home/frank/Linux
    >> folder, through the usual 'right hand mouse click' .
    >>
    >> Using the KDE GUI the icon shows a @.

    > That's bizarre...
    >
    >> However when I click the icon to read the msg I get the following box
    >> : Malformed URL , mhtml:/home/frank/Linux/
    >> and I can't access the file

    > Well, call me dumb but I don't even know what "mhtml" is in terms of
    > protocols; it's the first time I encounter it anywhere. Still, newsgroup
    > messages are not supposed to be HTML-encoded, so I presume that somewhere
    > along the saving process, the file was given a filename indicating that
    > it's actually an off-site link.
    >
    >> When I now copy the file to the desktop , the icon changes to an
    >> envelope and when clicking I can then read the file through kwrite.

    > Yes, because then KDE would know that it's a local file. When you copy the
    > file, you open it and so the system knows what type of file it is. When
    > you open the filemanager without opening the file itself, the filemanager
    > tends to follow MIME rules for determining what file it is, so it looks at
    > the name of the file, rather than reading the first bytes of the file,
    > which would be the UNIX way.
    >
    >> Question : Why does the file type changes when I move it to the desktop
    >> such that it becomes accessible ?

    > It doesn't change. KDE just makes it appear so, because it got confused by
    > the MIME type when listing the file in the directory, and upon copying it
    > found out what filetype it _really_ was. My guess is that KDE would still
    > have been confused if you had only symlinked it to your desktop - which is
    > a directory.
    >
    > Just a guess though. I've never done any such exotic things myself. If I
    > want to save a Usenet post, I either save it in a /KNode/ folder or I save
    > it as a /.txt/ file. Never had any problems with that. ;-)

    Aragorn , Thank you for the above . I changed the .eml extension to .txt
    and now the file can be read directly .
    To me this is effective step by step learning .
    This is a great NG

    Frank

+ Reply to Thread