Openoffice.org Print Orientation - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Openoffice.org Print Orientation - Mandriva ; The version of openoffice.org distributed in Mandriva 2008.1 does not allow changing the paper orientation using the print driver. Since I commonly print my notes for conducting a meeting as a four page brochure, I need a way to tell ...

  1. Openoffice.org Print Orientation

    The version of openoffice.org distributed in Mandriva 2008.1 does not allow
    changing the paper orientation using the print driver. Since I commonly
    print my notes for conducting a meeting as a four page brochure, I need a
    way to tell the printer that pages are to be landscape even though the page
    layout is portrait.

    I could replace the Mandriva version version with one from Openoffice.org,
    but then I would lose the ability to integrate a KDE address book.

    Is there any way I can have both features?
    --
    Cliff

  2. Re: Openoffice.org Print Orientation

    On Fri, 02 May 2008 15:33:34 -0400, Cliff wrote:

    > The version of openoffice.org distributed in Mandriva 2008.1 does not allow
    > changing the paper orientation using the print driver. Since I commonly

    Before trying to print the page, select Format/Page, and then select Landscape.
    It will then print in landscape.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Openoffice.org Print Orientation

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Fri, 02 May 2008 15:33:34 -0400, Cliff
    > wrote:
    >
    >> The version of openoffice.org distributed in Mandriva 2008.1 does not
    >> allow changing the paper orientation using the print driver. Since I
    >> commonly

    > Before trying to print the page, select Format/Page, and then select
    > Landscape. It will then print in landscape.

    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, this will not work because to print a
    brochure you require each page to be formatted in portrait. Two portrait
    pages are printed side by side on a landscape sheet of paper. Since a
    folded letter size paper gives you four pages that are 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" each
    brochure page must be portrait.

    --
    Cliff

  4. Re: Openoffice.org Print Orientation

    Cliff wrote:

    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 02 May 2008 15:33:34 -0400, Cliff
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The version of openoffice.org distributed in Mandriva 2008.1 does not
    >>> allow changing the paper orientation using the print driver. Since I
    >>> commonly

    >> Before trying to print the page, select Format/Page, and then select
    >> Landscape. It will then print in landscape.

    > Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, this will not work because to print a
    > brochure you require each page to be formatted in portrait. Two portrait
    > pages are printed side by side on a landscape sheet of paper. Since a
    > folded letter size paper gives you four pages that are 5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
    > each brochure page must be portrait.

    How about using landscape and dividing your page into two columns? That's
    how I used to do it. You can then treat each column as an independent
    page.

    You could even make it a page-sized table, which would facilitate jumping
    back and forth between the pages using the /TAB/ key.

    Just an idea...

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  5. Re: Openoffice.org Print Orientation

    Aragorn wrote:

    > Cliff wrote:
    >
    >> David W. Hodgins wrote:

    >>> Before trying to print the page, select Format/Page, and then select
    >>> Landscape. It will then print in landscape.

    >> Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, this will not work because to print
    >> a brochure you require each page to be formatted in portrait. Two
    >> portrait pages are printed side by side on a landscape sheet of paper.
    >> Since a folded letter size paper gives you four pages that are 5 1/2" x 8
    >> 1/2" each brochure page must be portrait.

    > How about using landscape and dividing your page into two columns? That's
    > how I used to do it. You can then treat each column as an independent
    > page.
    >
    > You could even make it a page-sized table, which would facilitate jumping
    > back and forth between the pages using the /TAB/ key.
    >
    > Just an idea...

    Thanks. I considered two column printing, but that creates the pages out of
    order. It could work for three pages if you made a blank page 1, but would
    require cutting and pasting for four or more pages. That's why open office
    has a brochure style.

    Any other suggestions?
    --
    Cliff

  6. Re: Openoffice.org Print Orientation

    On Sat, 03 May 2008 11:02:55 -0400, Cliff wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, this will not work because to print a
    > brochure you require each page to be formatted in portrait. Two portrait
    > pages are printed side by side on a landscape sheet of paper. Since a
    > folded letter size paper gives you four pages that are 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" each
    > brochure page must be portrait.

    I understand now, exactly what you are trying to do. A quick check shows
    kpdf/print/properties does include the options for pages per sheet, and
    duplexing. So another option would be to use oowriter to export as pdf,
    and then use kpdf, to actually print the file.

    I agree, ooo should include those options.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  7. Re: Openoffice.org Print Orientation

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Sat, 03 May 2008 11:02:55 -0400, Cliff
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, this will not work because to print
    >> a brochure you require each page to be formatted in portrait. Two
    >> portrait pages are printed side by side on a landscape sheet of paper.
    >> Since a folded letter size paper gives you four pages that are 5 1/2" x 8
    >> 1/2" each brochure page must be portrait.

    > I understand now, exactly what you are trying to do. A quick check shows
    > kpdf/print/properties does include the options for pages per sheet, and
    > duplexing. So another option would be to use oowriter to export as pdf,
    > and then use kpdf, to actually print the file.
    >
    > I agree, ooo should include those options.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Thanks Dave:

    That accomplishes what I want.

    Incidentally, vanilla ooo does allow this. It's the customized Mandriva
    version which doesn't. Apparently they apply a patch to disable your
    printer driver.

    I want to use Mandriva's because the customization allows integration with
    the KDE address book.
    --
    Cliff

+ Reply to Thread