multiple X sessions, how? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on multiple X sessions, how? - Mandriva ; Hi, This should be easy, but it escapes me. How do I start a second X session on vt8? I have tried logging on as a second user on vt1 and typing "startx -- :1". That brought up a blue ...

  1. multiple X sessions, how?

    Hi,

    This should be easy, but it escapes me. How do I start a second X
    session on vt8?

    I have tried logging on as a second user on vt1 and typing
    "startx -- :1". That brought up a blue screen and an "X" on
    vt8 but nothing more.

    TIA

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  2. Re: multiple X sessions, how?

    on Friday 02 May 2008 18:50
    Peter D. wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > This should be easy, but it escapes me. How do I start a second X
    > session on vt8?
    >
    > I have tried logging on as a second user on vt1 and typing
    > "startx -- :1". That brought up a blue screen and an "X" on
    > vt8 but nothing more.

    Apparently the server is refusing a connection to :0.0 which is a
    bit perverse, since I told it to connect to :1.

    BTW I'm using M2008.0.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  3. Re: multiple X sessions, how?

    "Peter D." writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > This should be easy, but it escapes me. How do I start a second X
    > session on vt8?
    >
    > I have tried logging on as a second user on vt1 and typing
    > "startx -- :1". That brought up a blue screen and an "X" on
    > vt8 but nothing more.

    Sounds like you have a second X session on VT8.
    That's the blue screen and the X.

    I usually do:

    startx -- :1 vt8

    but I think it figures out the vt8 part on it's own.

    On a VT type:

    DISPLAY=:1 xterm

    (use xterm or any other xwindows program)
    what do you see?

  4. Re: multiple X sessions, how?

    on Friday 02 May 2008 22:51
    Dan Espen wrote:

    > "Peter D." writes:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> This should be easy, but it escapes me. How do I start a second X
    >> session on vt8?
    >>
    >> I have tried logging on as a second user on vt1 and typing
    >> "startx -- :1". That brought up a blue screen and an "X" on
    >> vt8 but nothing more.

    > Sounds like you have a second X session on VT8.
    > That's the blue screen and the X.
    >
    > I usually do:
    >
    > startx -- :1 vt8

    I just tried that again, this time logged on as myself.
    It gave me an error message on *vt7*,
    "KDE seems to be already running on this display."

    > but I think it figures out the vt8 part on it's own.
    >
    > On a VT type:
    >
    > DISPLAY=:1 xterm
    >
    > (use xterm or any other xwindows program)
    > what do you see?

    I logged on to vt2 to try it and the connection was refused by
    the server.

    Something does not like :1 and wants to send everything to :0.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  5. Re: multiple X sessions, how?

    Den Fri, 02 May 2008 18:50:47 +1000, skrev Peter D.:

    > Hi,
    >
    > This should be easy, but it escapes me. How do I start a second X
    > session on vt8?
    >
    > I have tried logging on as a second user on vt1 and typing "startx --
    > :1". That brought up a blue screen and an "X" on vt8 but nothing more.
    >
    > TIA

    Assuming that you do not HAVE to do this from the command line, i.e. you
    already have one X session running as implied above, you can right click
    on the desktop and choose 'Switch user' + 'New session'

    This will start a new X session on vt8 at the login screen. You can
    switch between the two X sessions using 'ctrl-alt-F7/F8'.

    HTH
    --
    Jarle - registered linux user #276465 - http://counter.li.org/

  6. Re: multiple X sessions, how?

    On Fri, 02 May 2008 18:50:47 +1000, Peter D. wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > This should be easy, but it escapes me. How do I start a second X
    > session on vt8?

    For second sessions, I hit
    Ctl+Alt+F2 and login, then
    startx -- :1

    Then for switching users,
    Ctl+Alt+F7 (user1) Ctl+Alt+F8 (user2)

  7. Re: multiple X sessions, how?

    on Saturday 03 May 2008 00:35
    Jarle Bremnes wrote:

    > Den Fri, 02 May 2008 18:50:47 +1000, skrev Peter D.:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> This should be easy, but it escapes me. How do I start a second X
    >> session on vt8?
    >>
    >> I have tried logging on as a second user on vt1 and typing "startx --
    >> :1". That brought up a blue screen and an "X" on vt8 but nothing more.
    >>
    >> TIA

    > Assuming that you do not HAVE to do this from the command line, i.e. you
    > already have one X session running as implied above,

    Well spotted.

    > you can right click
    > on the desktop and choose 'Switch user' + 'New session'

    Bingo!

    I guess that implementing the GUI method necessitated clobbering
    the command line method. The GUI method is a lot more user
    friendly.

    > This will start a new X session on vt8 at the login screen. You can
    > switch between the two X sessions using 'ctrl-alt-F7/F8'.
    >
    > HTH

    It did. Thanks.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  8. Re: multiple X sessions, how?

    on Saturday 03 May 2008 04:00
    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Fri, 02 May 2008 18:50:47 +1000, Peter D. wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> This should be easy, but it escapes me. How do I start a second X
    >> session on vt8?

    > For second sessions, I hit
    > Ctl+Alt+F2 and login, then
    > startx -- :1

    That is what I thought, but it doesn't work for me on M2008.0.
    I tried logging on as myself and as a second user.

    Right click on the desktop does work.

    > Then for switching users,
    > Ctl+Alt+F7 (user1) Ctl+Alt+F8 (user2)

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  9. Re: multiple X sessions, how?

    On Fri, 02 May 2008 10:05:20 -0400, Peter D. wrote:

    > Something does not like :1 and wants to send everything to :0.

    Any chance that :1 is in use by something like vncserver?
    Try "startx -- :2"

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  10. Re: multiple X sessions, how?

    On 2008-05-02, Peter D. wrote:

    > I logged on to vt2 to try it and the connection was refused by
    > the server.
    >
    > Something does not like :1 and wants to send everything to :0.

    Hmmm... Some years ago, HatRed's startx script was
    hard-coded to a DISPLAY value of 0, and I have to jump
    through some hoops to work around that defect. Might
    something like that have come back to haunt us?

    Or, might you have a setting of DISPLAY to 0 buried
    somewhere in your own scripts?

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  11. Re: multiple X sessions, how?

    on Saturday 03 May 2008 12:48
    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Fri, 02 May 2008 10:05:20 -0400, Peter D.
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Something does not like :1 and wants to send everything to :0.

    > Any chance that :1 is in use by something like vncserver?
    > Try "startx -- :2"

    That gives a blue screen plus cursor on vt8 and a warning on vt7,
    "KDE seems to be already running on this display."

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  12. Re: multiple X sessions, how?

    on Saturday 03 May 2008 14:43
    Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    > On 2008-05-02, Peter D. wrote:
    >>
    >> I logged on to vt2 to try it and the connection was refused by
    >> the server.
    >>
    >> Something does not like :1 and wants to send everything to :0.

    > Hmmm... Some years ago, HatRed's startx script was
    > hard-coded to a DISPLAY value of 0, and I have to jump
    > through some hoops to work around that defect. Might
    > something like that have come back to haunt us?

    Yes, I think so.

    > Or, might you have a setting of DISPLAY to 0 buried
    > somewhere in your own scripts?

    No, I don't think so.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  13. Re: multiple X sessions, how?

    "Peter D." writes:

    > on Saturday 03 May 2008 12:48
    > in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 02 May 2008 10:05:20 -0400, Peter D.
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Something does not like :1 and wants to send everything to :0.

    >> Any chance that :1 is in use by something like vncserver?
    >> Try "startx -- :2"

    > That gives a blue screen plus cursor on vt8 and a warning on vt7,
    > "KDE seems to be already running on this display."

    Sounds like X starts on the display you specify
    ":2" but KDE starts back on DISPLAY :0 giving you
    the warning.

    Using startx is really designed for situations where
    you boot up to a VT (run level 3). If you have a display
    manager running (run level 5) you're better off using the GUI tools
    of the display manager to start another session.

  14. Re: multiple X sessions, how?

    "Peter D." wrote:

    >This should be easy, but it escapes me. How do I start a second X
    >session on vt8?
    >
    >I have tried logging on as a second user on vt1 and typing
    >"startx -- :1". That brought up a blue screen and an "X" on
    >vt8 but nothing more.

    This is a script that I wrote a few years ago. It didn't work correctly
    for me without the sleep lines for some reason.

    #!/bin/bash
    X :1 &
    sleep 4
    DISPLAY=:1.0 startkde &
    sleep 2

    I was working out how to start a remote KDE via SSH and display it
    locally. To do that the fourth line was changed to:

    DISPLAY=:1.0 ssh $RemoteHostName startkde &

    --
    Dave Farrance

+ Reply to Thread