Companies House On-line Filing - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Companies House On-line Filing - Mandriva ; Although not Mandriva-Specific, this problem is typical of those that affect the take up of Linux. I have just been trying to upload a form representing the Accounts of a dormant company, called a DCA. I get to the submit ...

  1. Companies House On-line Filing

    Although not Mandriva-Specific, this problem is typical of those that affect
    the take up of Linux.

    I have just been trying to upload a form representing the Accounts of a
    dormant company, called a DCA. I get to the submit point after twice
    entering an 11 character authentication code and get an error message
    telling me there is an SSL error and to enter a command string into a
    terminal. I did so and when invited pressed a key to signify acceptance and
    was advised that 'a Certificate had been successfully installed'

    Back I go to the Submit button and the same thing happens again. I call
    Companies House who eventually get hold of someone who is Internet savvy
    who tells me it is probably the firewall on my PC. "I don't have a firewall
    on my PC". 'Ah then its the firewall on your modem-router".

    The firewall is 'on' in my Linksys WAG54GS but I can find only a block
    on 'Anonymous Internet Requests'. I have never had any kind of problem with
    access before so I'm trapped in a Murphy's second Law syndrome.

    Just a rant. I'll go back to cocoa tins and string.

  2. Re: Companies House On-line Filing

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > Although not Mandriva-Specific, this problem is typical of those that
    > affect the take up of Linux.
    >
    > I have just been trying to upload a form representing the Accounts of a
    > dormant company, called a DCA. I get to the submit point after twice
    > entering an 11 character authentication code and get an error message
    > telling me there is an SSL error and to enter a command string into a
    > terminal. I did so and when invited pressed a key to signify acceptance
    > and was advised that 'a Certificate had been successfully installed'
    >
    > Back I go to the Submit button and the same thing happens again. I call
    > Companies House who eventually get hold of someone who is Internet savvy
    > who tells me it is probably the firewall on my PC. "I don't have a
    > firewall on my PC". 'Ah then its the firewall on your modem-router".
    >
    > The firewall is 'on' in my Linksys WAG54GS but I can find only a block
    > on 'Anonymous Internet Requests'. I have never had any kind of problem
    > with access before so I'm trapped in a Murphy's second Law syndrome.
    >
    > Just a rant. I'll go back to cocoa tins and string.

    They didn't tell you to use Windows?

    I had (and still have) a problem using Firefox under Linux on one site.
    Their answer? "Sorry, Macintosh isn't supported yet." They fixed it, then
    Firefox was updated and it was back. Under Windows, no worries.

    Doug L.

  3. Re: Companies House On-line Filing

    Vince Coen wrote:
    > Hello Alan!
    >
    > 01 May 08 11:04, Alan Secker wrote to All:
    >
    > AS> I have just been trying to upload a form representing the Accounts of
    > AS> a dormant company, called a DCA. I get to the submit point after twice
    > AS> entering an 11 character authentication code and get an error message
    > AS> telling me there is an SSL error and to enter a command string into a
    > AS> terminal. I did so and when invited pressed a key to signify
    > AS> acceptance and was advised that 'a Certificate had been successfully
    > AS> installed'
    >
    > Yes, get the same problem. CH are aware of this problem and have been since
    > last year when I reported it to them voice.
    > The weenie I spoke to said I should use the previous version of adobe acrobat
    > as it was a known issue (this is now reported on their website) and to use
    > version 7.1.9 (I think). I have loaded that version but as acrobat v8 is
    > installed on my box at system level when I run the shell script it graps the
    > other newer version.
    >
    > The only real option is to delete that latest ver. and reinstall as yourself
    > and not root, then download the .gz version of 7.1.9 (whatever) and run that
    > run from another of your locally installed directories.

    =======================================
    As a Linux user you could try KDE's native kpdf instead of the Adobe prog.

    Frank

  4. Re: Companies House On-line Filing

    Hello Alan!

    01 May 08 11:04, Alan Secker wrote to All:

    AS> I have just been trying to upload a form representing the Accounts of
    AS> a dormant company, called a DCA. I get to the submit point after twice
    AS> entering an 11 character authentication code and get an error message
    AS> telling me there is an SSL error and to enter a command string into a
    AS> terminal. I did so and when invited pressed a key to signify
    AS> acceptance and was advised that 'a Certificate had been successfully
    AS> installed'

    Yes, get the same problem. CH are aware of this problem and have been since
    last year when I reported it to them voice.
    The weenie I spoke to said I should use the previous version of adobe acrobat
    as it was a known issue (this is now reported on their website) and to use
    version 7.1.9 (I think). I have loaded that version but as acrobat v8 is
    installed on my box at system level when I run the shell script it graps the
    other newer version.

    The only real option is to delete that latest ver. and reinstall as yourself
    and not root, then download the .gz version of 7.1.9 (whatever) and run that
    run from another of your locally installed directories.

    I just got lazy after all this and just send them a paper copy.

    Vince

  5. Re: Companies House On-line Filing

    Hello Highland!

    01 May 08 22:04, Highland Ham wrote to All:

    HH> Vince Coen wrote:
    >>
    >> The only real option is to delete that latest ver. and reinstall as
    >> yourself and not root, then download the .gz version of 7.1.9
    >> (whatever) and run that run from another of your locally installed
    >> directories.

    HH> As a Linux user you could try KDE's native kpdf instead of the Adobe
    HH> prog.

    Cant do that as it uses a adobe script forms to build a file that is then
    uploaded to CH.

    Vince

+ Reply to Thread