icons and menu trembling - Mandriva

This is a discussion on icons and menu trembling - Mandriva ; My friends has a laptop "hp zz pavilion". I installed Mandriva a year ago or so and I am helping him when/if/what I can... :-) Now everything seems fine after reboot but after a while when folders are open all ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: icons and menu trembling

  1. icons and menu trembling

    My friends has a laptop "hp zz pavilion".
    I installed Mandriva a year ago or so and I am helping him when/if/what
    I can...
    :-)

    Now everything seems fine after reboot but after a while
    when folders are open all the documents inside start trembling- vibrating
    very fast and I can not select anything again...

    If i click on the start menu, always highlighted is the last program
    used, (and that also wildly vibrating ) I reinstalled the sistem but
    after a while it start behaving the same way again...the machine is a
    dual boot and no problems occurrs when running windoze, so I believe it
    can not be a hardware problem...any help, suggestion what to look for to
    understand the problem?
    thanks in advance...
    santo

  2. Re: icons and menu trembling

    santo wrote:

    > My friends has a laptop "hp zz pavilion".
    > I installed Mandriva a year ago or so and I am helping him when/if/what
    > I can...
    > :-)
    >
    > Now everything seems fine after reboot but after a while
    > when folders are open all the documents inside start trembling- vibrating
    > very fast and I can not select anything again...
    >
    > If i click on the start menu, always highlighted is the last program
    > used, (and that also wildly vibrating ) I reinstalled the sistem but
    > after a while it start behaving the same way again...the machine is a
    > dual boot and no problems occurrs when running windoze, so I believe it
    > can not be a hardware problem...any help, suggestion what to look for to
    > understand the problem?
    > thanks in advance...


    There was a similar problem being mentioned here only a week or so ago, with
    icons flashing, but I cannot remember what thread it was in. I believe it
    had something to do with the set-up for the desktop background - using
    different desktop wallpapers on every virtual desktop perhaps, or maybe
    using a dynamic desktop wallpaper of some sort.

    You may want to open up a terminal window and start /top/ to see what's
    hogging the CPU. Possibly it's something like what I've mentioned above -
    if my memory serves me right on that, that is - but it might also be
    something else, and /top/ would at least give you a clue.

    Whatever it is, try the above and then report on your findings, so that we
    can help you further, or if you can resolve it, so that others with the
    same problem might learn how to fix it. ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: icons and menu trembling

    On May 1, 10:22 am, Aragorn wrote:
    > santo wrote:
    > > My friends has a laptop "hp zz pavilion".
    > > I installed Mandriva a year ago or so and I am helping him when/if/what
    > > I can...
    > > :-)

    >
    > > Now everything seems fine after reboot but after a while
    > > when folders are open all the documents inside start trembling- vibrating
    > > very fast and I can not select anything again...

    >
    > > If i click on the start menu, always highlighted is the last program
    > > used, (and that also wildly vibrating ) I reinstalled the sistem but
    > > after a while it start behaving the same way again...the machine is a
    > > dual boot and no problems occurrs when running windoze, so I believe it
    > > can not be a hardware problem...any help, suggestion what to look for to
    > > understand the problem?
    > > thanks in advance...


    > There was a similar problem being mentioned here only a week or so ago, with
    > icons flashing,


    from office...
    Due to various reason I was off the net for a couple of months...only
    occasionally I could access the net..
    :-(
    so I was not aware of this tread...


    > You may want to open up a terminal window and start /top/ to see what's
    > hogging the CPU.



    Yes, it occurred to me to do that and when I open the console ( I
    could click the icon in the task bar...) there was a dotted line
    filling up the console, by pressing Ctrl+c the line stopped and the
    icon trembling as well, but it would start a few minutes after...
    Anyway...
    unfortunately there is nothing we can do now as my friend is leaving
    for Italy tonight. I have only a few hours left to solve the
    problem...
    I'll check if he has been playing with wallpapers and bacground
    desktop, we'll see,
    thanks
    santo




  4. Re: icons and menu trembling

    Santo wrote:

    > On May 1, 10:22 am, Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> santo wrote:

    >
    >> > [...]
    >> > If i click on the start menu, always highlighted is the last program
    >> > used, (and that also wildly vibrating ) I reinstalled the sistem but
    >> > after a while it start behaving the same way again...the machine is a
    >> > dual boot and no problems occurrs when running windoze, so I believe it
    >> > can not be a hardware problem...any help, suggestion what to look for
    >> > to understand the problem?
    >> > thanks in advance...

    >
    >> There was a similar problem being mentioned here only a week or so ago,
    >> with icons flashing,

    >
    > from office...
    > Due to various reason I was off the net for a couple of months...only
    > occasionally I could access the net..
    > :-(
    > so I was not aware of this tread...


    It's pretty recent though - couldn't have been more than one or two weeks
    ago.

    >> You may want to open up a terminal window and start /top/ to see what's
    >> hogging the CPU.

    >
    > Yes, it occurred to me to do that and when I open the console ( I
    > could click the icon in the task bar...) there was a dotted line
    > filling up the console, by pressing Ctrl+c the line stopped and the
    > icon trembling as well, but it would start a few minutes after...
    > Anyway...


    This is highly peculiar and rather leads me to believe that it's a matter of
    a stuck key on the keyboard, flooding the keyboard buffer. Perhaps by
    pressing /Control+C/ you've lodged it, or perhaps it's the whole keyboard
    that sends a signal continuously, e.g. due to the print having been warped
    by heat, by shock or just as a construction flaw. That would also explain
    that the problem started reoccurring a while later.

    > unfortunately there is nothing we can do now as my friend is leaving
    > for Italy tonight. I have only a few hours left to solve the
    > problem...
    > I'll check if he has been playing with wallpapers and bacground
    > desktop, we'll see,


    Okay, that would be worth checking at least. ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  5. Re: icons and menu trembling

    Aragorn writes:

    > Santo wrote:
    >
    >> On May 1, 10:22 am, Aragorn wrote:
    >>
    >>> santo wrote:

    >>
    >>> > [...]
    >>> > If i click on the start menu, always highlighted is the last program
    >>> > used, (and that also wildly vibrating ) I reinstalled the sistem but
    >>> > after a while it start behaving the same way again...the machine is a
    >>> > dual boot and no problems occurrs when running windoze, so I believe it
    >>> > can not be a hardware problem...any help, suggestion what to look for
    >>> > to understand the problem?
    >>> > thanks in advance...

    >>
    >>> There was a similar problem being mentioned here only a week or so ago,
    >>> with icons flashing,

    >>
    >> from office...
    >> Due to various reason I was off the net for a couple of months...only
    >> occasionally I could access the net..
    >> :-(
    >> so I was not aware of this tread...

    >
    > It's pretty recent though - couldn't have been more than one or two weeks
    > ago.
    >
    >>> You may want to open up a terminal window and start /top/ to see what's
    >>> hogging the CPU.

    >>
    >> Yes, it occurred to me to do that and when I open the console ( I
    >> could click the icon in the task bar...) there was a dotted line
    >> filling up the console, by pressing Ctrl+c the line stopped and the
    >> icon trembling as well, but it would start a few minutes after...
    >> Anyway...

    >
    > This is highly peculiar and rather leads me to believe that it's a matter of
    > a stuck key on the keyboard, flooding the keyboard buffer. Perhaps by
    > pressing /Control+C/ you've lodged it, or perhaps it's the whole keyboard
    > that sends a signal continuously,


    Doesn't have to be hardware.

    I've seen applications and the window manager disagreeing about where an
    application should be placed cause these symptoms.

    If the OP is using "unclutter" (hides an idle pointer),
    that might be a culprit.



  6. Re: icons and menu trembling

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 14:22:36 +0000, Dan Espen wrote:

    > Aragorn writes:
    >
    >> Santo wrote:
    >>
    >>

    > Doesn't have to be hardware.
    >
    > I've seen applications and the window manager disagreeing about where an
    > application should be placed cause these symptoms.
    >
    > If the OP is using "unclutter" (hides an idle pointer), that might be a
    > culprit.


    Unfortunately I do not know what this unclutter means, I reinstall the
    OS as I normally do and the problem persisted.

    After sometime trying also top ( when I was given the chance) it showed
    that just about everything was using 99.9% CPU time wether was the top
    command or konqueror or the console, that value was shifting among
    them ,...and then not even Ctrl+c worked to stop the trembling...

    No, I believe that at the end it was the partition Linux was written that
    became totally corrupted, couldn't it be?...
    santo

  7. Re: icons and menu trembling

    santo wrote:

    > On Thu, 01 May 2008 14:22:36 +0000, Dan Espen wrote:
    >
    >> I've seen applications and the window manager disagreeing about where an
    >> application should be placed cause these symptoms.
    >>
    >> If the OP is using "unclutter" (hides an idle pointer), that might be a
    >> culprit.

    >
    > Unfortunately I do not know what this unclutter means, I reinstall the
    > OS as I normally do and the problem persisted.


    I presume Dave means "unclutter the desktop", as in "make all windows appear
    in a nice overview instead of a mess of overlapping windows".
    >
    > After sometime trying also top ( when I was given the chance) it showed
    > that just about everything was using 99.9% CPU time wether was the top
    > command or konqueror or the console, that value was shifting among
    > them ,...and then not even Ctrl+c worked to stop the trembling...


    When /top/ is running interactively - as opposed to batch mode - and you
    want to exit it, you have to press "q", not /Control+C/ - that would do
    nothing in /top./ ;-)

    > No, I believe that at the end it was the partition Linux was written that
    > became totally corrupted, couldn't it be?...


    No, the chances that this occurs are very small, and the chances that it
    would be the cause of the problem lie rather within the realm of
    superstition. ;-) It's like saying that your car's electrical system
    always breaks down after five minutes of driving because the tires are
    flat. ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  8. Re: icons and menu trembling

    On Fri, 02 May 2008 09:01:19 +0200, Aragorn wrote:

    > santo wrote:
    >


    >>> If the OP is using "unclutter" (hides an idle pointer), that might be
    >>> a culprit.

    >>
    >> Unfortunately I do not know what this unclutter means, I reinstall the
    >> OS as I normally do and the problem persisted.

    >
    > I presume Dave means "unclutter the desktop", as in "make all windows
    > appear in a nice overview instead of a mess of overlapping windows".


    My friend, a newbie worst than me not only in Linux but computer in
    general...( he used to hate them and never had or used one before this...
    it was mine, I gave it to him...) had all his file documents , music
    especially, saved against my advise,on to the desktop, definetly it was
    cluttered with files?

    > When /top/ is running interactively - as opposed to batch mode - and you
    > want to exit it, you have to press "q", not /Control+C/ - that would do
    > nothing in /top./ ;-)


    I know THAAT!...
    :-)
    Ctrl+c was meant to stop the trembling not /top/...
    >
    >> No, I believe that at the end it was the partition Linux was written
    >> that became totally corrupted, couldn't it be?...

    >
    > No, the chances that this occurs are very small, and the chances that it
    > would be the cause of the problem lie rather within the realm of
    > superstition. ;-) It's like saying that your car's electrical system
    > always breaks down after five minutes of driving because the tires are
    > flat. ;-)


    ....well, you know what happened? it is no joke!

    On his way to Chennai by taxi to catch the plane, he had an accident;
    a car coming from behind at high speed hit them smashing the whole trunk
    and what was in it. Fortunately he and the driver came out without
    injuries ( luckily my friend was sitting in front as well...)
    I should have never given him my laptop I guess...
    santo


  9. Re: icons and menu trembling

    Aragorn writes:

    > santo wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 01 May 2008 14:22:36 +0000, Dan Espen wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've seen applications and the window manager disagreeing about where an
    >>> application should be placed cause these symptoms.
    >>>
    >>> If the OP is using "unclutter" (hides an idle pointer), that might be a
    >>> culprit.

    >>
    >> Unfortunately I do not know what this unclutter means, I reinstall the
    >> OS as I normally do and the problem persisted.

    >
    > I presume Dave means "unclutter the desktop", as in "make all windows appear
    > in a nice overview instead of a mess of overlapping windows".


    Dave -> Dan

    unclutter is part of X11 contrib:

    http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/X11/contr...utter-8.README

    I've been using it for years but I have seen it cause problems:

    http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome.../msg00057.html

    It doesn't appear that it's involved in this case.
    I'm just saying that windows can start jumping around when something
    makes them decide they need to move and something else moves them
    back.

  10. Re: icons and menu trembling

    santo wrote:

    > On Fri, 02 May 2008 09:01:19 +0200, Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> santo wrote:
    >>
    >>> Unfortunately I do not know what this unclutter means, I reinstall the
    >>> OS as I normally do and the problem persisted.

    >>
    >> I presume Dave means "unclutter the desktop", as in "make all windows
    >> appear in a nice overview instead of a mess of overlapping windows".

    >
    > My friend, a newbie worst than me not only in Linux but computer in
    > general...( he used to hate them and never had or used one before this...
    > it was mine, I gave it to him...) had all his file documents , music
    > especially, saved against my advise,on to the desktop, definetly it was
    > cluttered with files?


    No, the uncluttering in this case would pertain to window placement - KDE
    has an option for uncluttering overlapping windows - but not to files. ;-)

    >> No, the chances that this occurs are very small, and the chances that it
    >> would be the cause of the problem lie rather within the realm of
    >> superstition. ;-) It's like saying that your car's electrical system
    >> always breaks down after five minutes of driving because the tires are
    >> flat. ;-)

    >
    > ...well, you know what happened? it is no joke!
    >
    > On his way to Chennai by taxi to catch the plane, he had an accident;
    > a car coming from behind at high speed hit them smashing the whole trunk
    > and what was in it. Fortunately he and the driver came out without
    > injuries ( luckily my friend was sitting in front as well...)
    > I should have never given him my laptop I guess...


    Hmm... I guess that solved the problem then...

    Correlates perfectly with what I've said elsewhere regarding the cynicism
    behind the collapse of the wavefunction, though...

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  11. Re: icons and menu trembling

    Dan Espen wrote:

    > Aragorn writes:
    >
    >> santo wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Thu, 01 May 2008 14:22:36 +0000, Dan Espen wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I've seen applications and the window manager disagreeing about where
    >>>> an application should be placed cause these symptoms.
    >>>>
    >>>> If the OP is using "unclutter" (hides an idle pointer), that might be a
    >>>> culprit.
    >>>
    >>> Unfortunately I do not know what this unclutter means, I reinstall the
    >>> OS as I normally do and the problem persisted.

    >>
    >> I presume Dave means "unclutter the desktop", as in "make all windows
    >> appear in a nice overview instead of a mess of overlapping windows".

    >
    > Dave -> Dan


    My apologies! ;-)

    > unclutter is part of X11 contrib:
    >
    > http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/X11/contr...utter-8.README
    >
    > I've been using it for years but I have seen it cause problems:
    >
    > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome.../msg00057.html
    >
    > It doesn't appear that it's involved in this case.
    > I'm just saying that windows can start jumping around when something
    > makes them decide they need to move and something else moves them
    > back.


    I believe KDE has a similar functionality with regard to things that want to
    resize a window - e.g. certain websites wanting to resize your browser
    window - and another one with regard to the focus-grabbing, e.g. when a
    program wants to make its window active even if you're working in another
    window at that time.

    Both could yield similar problems, I would imagine...

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

+ Reply to Thread