concatenating pdf files - Mandriva

This is a discussion on concatenating pdf files - Mandriva ; I want to concatenate selected single pdf files into a single one. Research brought up pdfpages but this in turn needs LaTex. urpmi produced this list: cpp2latex culmus-latex fonts-ttf-latex kdenetwork-kopete-latex latex-beamer latex-lettre latex-mk latex2html tetex-latex tetex-latex-arab tetex-latex-heb texlive-latex texlive-texmf-latex vim-latex ...

  1. concatenating pdf files

    I want to concatenate selected single pdf files into a single one. Research
    brought up pdfpages but this in turn needs LaTex. urpmi produced this list:

    cpp2latex
    culmus-latex
    fonts-ttf-latex
    kdenetwork-kopete-latex
    latex-beamer
    latex-lettre
    latex-mk
    latex2html
    tetex-latex
    tetex-latex-arab
    tetex-latex-heb
    texlive-latex
    texlive-texmf-latex
    vim-latex

    Which would be the berst one to install. Alternatively, is there a better /
    easier method.

    TIA

  2. Re: concatenating pdf files

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 12:23:54 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:

    > I want to concatenate selected single pdf files into a single one.
    > Research brought up pdfpages but this in turn needs LaTex. urpmi
    > produced this list:

    PDFTK works great for this(PDF Tool Kit).Check the repos,I know there's a
    package in PCLinux' repos.(Not currently near a mandriva install to check)

    Dave

    --
    Registered Linux user # 444770
    Tact is the ability to tell a man he has an open mind when he has a

  3. Re: concatenating pdf files

    on Tuesday 29 April 2008 21:23
    Alan Secker wrote:

    > I want to concatenate selected single pdf files into a single one.
    > Research brought up pdfpages but this in turn needs LaTex. urpmi produced
    > this list:
    >
    > cpp2latex
    > culmus-latex
    > fonts-ttf-latex
    > kdenetwork-kopete-latex
    > latex-beamer
    > latex-lettre
    > latex-mk
    > latex2html
    > tetex-latex
    > tetex-latex-arab
    > tetex-latex-heb
    > texlive-latex
    > texlive-texmf-latex
    > vim-latex
    >
    > Which would be the berst one to install. Alternatively, is there a better
    > / easier method.
    >
    > TIA

    Are you brave enough to edit PostScript code by hand?

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  4. Re: concatenating pdf files

    Dave wrote:

    > On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 12:23:54 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> I want to concatenate selected single pdf files into a single one.
    >> Research brought up pdfpages but this in turn needs LaTex. urpmi
    >> produced this list:

    > PDFTK works great for this(PDF Tool Kit).Check the repos,I know there's a
    > package in PCLinux' repos.(Not currently near a mandriva install to check)

    pdftk is available in contrib on mdv 2008.1 and 2008.0

    Jim

  5. Re: concatenating pdf files

    Peter D. wrote:

    > on Tuesday 29 April 2008 21:23
    > in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> I want to concatenate selected single pdf files into a single one.
    >> Research brought up pdfpages but this in turn needs LaTex. urpmi produced
    >> this list:
    >>
    >> cpp2latex
    >> culmus-latex
    >> fonts-ttf-latex
    >> kdenetwork-kopete-latex
    >> latex-beamer
    >> latex-lettre
    >> latex-mk
    >> latex2html
    >> tetex-latex
    >> tetex-latex-arab
    >> tetex-latex-heb
    >> texlive-latex
    >> texlive-texmf-latex
    >> vim-latex
    >>
    >> Which would be the berst one to install. Alternatively, is there a better
    >> / easier method.
    >>
    >> TIA

    > Are you brave enough to edit PostScript code by hand?

    Its not the editing its knowing what you are doing. So I guess it's No.

    Alan

  6. Re: concatenating pdf files

    Dave wrote:

    > On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 12:23:54 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> I want to concatenate selected single pdf files into a single one.
    >> Research brought up pdfpages but this in turn needs LaTex. urpmi
    >> produced this list:

    > PDFTK works great for this(PDF Tool Kit).Check the repos,I know there's a
    > package in PCLinux' repos.(Not currently near a mandriva install to check)
    >
    > Dave

    Thanks, there is. I am installing it now.

    Alan

  7. Re: concatenating pdf files

    Dave wrote:

    > On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 12:23:54 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> I want to concatenate selected single pdf files into a single one.
    >> Research brought up pdfpages but this in turn needs LaTex. urpmi
    >> produced this list:

    > PDFTK works great for this(PDF Tool Kit).Check the repos,I know there's a
    > package in PCLinux' repos.(Not currently near a mandriva install to check)
    >
    > Dave

    Thank both you and James. What an amazing program.

    Alan

  8. Re: concatenating pdf files

    On Apr 29, 10:00*am, Alan Secker wrote:
    > Dave wrote:
    > > On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 12:23:54 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:

    > >> I want to concatenate selected single pdf files into a single one.
    > >> Research brought up pdfpages but this in turn needs LaTex. urpmi
    > >> produced this list:

    > > PDFTK works great for this(PDF Tool Kit).Check the repos,I know there's a
    > > package in PCLinux' repos.(Not currently near a mandriva install to check)

    > > Dave

    > Thank both you and James. What an amazing program.

    Agreed, now all I need is a tool to aid in reordering/resequencing
    pages. I know you can do a combo of burst and merge, but what would
    totally rule would be the gui approach: thumbnails of the pages, so
    one can just drag-and-drop pages...

  9. Re: concatenating pdf files

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 02:49:57 -0700, shedied wrote:

    > On Apr 29, 10:00*am, Alan Secker wrote:
    >> Dave wrote:

    >> > PDFTK works great for this(PDF Tool Kit).Check the repos,I know
    >> > there's a package in PCLinux' repos.(Not currently near a mandriva
    >> > install to check)

    >> > Dave

    >> Thank both you and James. What an amazing program.

    > Agreed, now all I need is a tool to aid in reordering/resequencing
    > pages. I know you can do a combo of burst and merge, but what would
    > totally rule would be the gui approach: thumbnails of the pages, so one
    > can just drag-and-drop pages...

    http://www.angusj.com/pdftkb/

    This is a GUI for PDFTK written by Angus Johnson that has that
    capability.It's a Windows binary but he supplies the source code and it's
    released under the GPL.

    Dave

    --
    Registered Linux user # 444770
    Tact is the ability to tell a man he has an open mind when he has a
    hole in his head.

  10. Re: concatenating pdf files

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 11:26:58 +0000, Dave wrote:

    > http://www.angusj.com/pdftkb/
    >
    > This is a GUI for PDFTK written by Angus Johnson that has that
    > capability.It's a Windows binary but he supplies the source code and
    > it's released under the GPL.
    >
    > Dave

    Dave,

    Doesn't the source code need Delphi to compile? I believe that's a
    typical Windows programming language....

  11. Re: concatenating pdf files

    stef wrote:

    > On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 11:26:58 +0000, Dave wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.angusj.com/pdftkb/
    >>
    >> This is a GUI for PDFTK written by Angus Johnson that has that
    >> capability.It's a Windows binary but he supplies the source code and
    >> it's released under the GPL.
    >>
    >> Dave

    > Dave,
    >
    > Doesn't the source code need Delphi to compile? I believe that's a
    > typical Windows programming language....

    Delphi is not a language per se, but a programming environent - or more
    correctly, an integrated development environment (IDE). The programming
    language used inside the Delphi IDE is Pascal.

    However, when Borland released Delphi - which runs in a Windows environment
    - they've also released a GNU/Linux version of the IDE, of which I believe
    - but don't shoot me if I'm wrong - that it was called /Kylie/ - no, not
    Minogue.

    Anyway, Pascal is a language that's quite usable on GNU/Linux as well. The
    GNU /gcc/ (GNU compiler collection) supports it, and there is a chance -
    not that I've ever tried it or even examined the possibility - that you
    could use KDevelop for building such a program. ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  12. Re: concatenating pdf files

    On Sat, 03 May 2008 10:12:20 +0200, Aragorn wrote:

    > However, when Borland released Delphi - which runs in a Windows
    > environment - they've also released a GNU/Linux version of the IDE, of
    > which I believe - but don't shoot me if I'm wrong - that it was called
    > /Kylie/ - no, not Minogue.
    >
    > Anyway, Pascal is a language that's quite usable on GNU/Linux as well.
    > The GNU /gcc/ (GNU compiler collection) supports it, and there is a
    > chance - not that I've ever tried it or even examined the possibility -
    > that you could use KDevelop for building such a program. ;-)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kylix_programming_tool

    Dave

    --
    Registered Linux user # 444770
    Tact is the ability to tell a man he has an open mind when he has a
    hole in his head.

  13. Re: concatenating pdf files

    Dave wrote:

    > On Sat, 03 May 2008 10:12:20 +0200, Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> However, when Borland released Delphi - which runs in a Windows
    >> environment - they've also released a GNU/Linux version of the IDE, of
    >> which I believe - but don't shoot me if I'm wrong - that it was called
    >> /Kylie/ - no, not Minogue.
    >>
    >> Anyway, Pascal is a language that's quite usable on GNU/Linux as well.
    >> The GNU /gcc/ (GNU compiler collection) supports it, and there is a
    >> chance - not that I've ever tried it or even examined the possibility -
    >> that you could use KDevelop for building such a program. ;-)

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kylix_programming_tool

    Well okay, Kylie, Kylix... I was close enough.

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  14. Re: concatenating pdf files

    On Sat, 03 May 2008 14:48:16 +0200, Aragorn wrote:

    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kylix_programming_tool

    > Well okay, Kylie, Kylix... I was close enough.

    I believe Kylix is discontinued though....

  15. Re: concatenating pdf files

    stef wrote:

    > On Sat, 03 May 2008 14:48:16 +0200, Aragorn wrote:
    >

    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kylix_programming_tool

    >> Well okay, Kylie, Kylix... I was close enough.

    > I believe Kylix is discontinued though....

    But Kylie on the other hand...

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  16. Re: concatenating pdf files

    On Tue, 06 May 2008 21:28:23 +0200, Aragorn wrote:

    > But Kylie on the other hand...

    Good one

+ Reply to Thread