Howto update urpmi database - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Howto update urpmi database - Mandriva ; Probably a stupid question : howto update urpmi database. I had a look in http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Tools/urpmi , but could not find the answer. Any hint please Frank...

  1. Howto update urpmi database

    Probably a stupid question : howto update urpmi database.
    I had a look in http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Tools/urpmi,
    but could not find the answer.
    Any hint please

    Frank

  2. Re: Howto update urpmi database

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 18:05:52 +0100, Highland Ham wrote:
    > Probably a stupid question : howto update urpmi database.

    I uu-check any removable media in
    Software Management--->Configure media sources for install and update
    under Software Management in the Mandriva Control Center.

    I then go to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ to pick mirror, main, update,
    non-free, PLF, updates(*). Not test/backports.

    If your release is 2008.0 or less suggest http://www.mandrivauser.de/smarturpmi/
    2008.1 or cooker http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

  3. Re: Howto update urpmi database

    Highland Ham wrote:

    >Probably a stupid question : howto update urpmi database.
    >I had a look in http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Tools/urpmi,
    >but could not find the answer.
    >Any hint please

    Well, it is there, about half way down: urpmi.update

    For how to use it:
    man urpmi.update

    Though it's easier for beginners to use the package manager in the
    Mandriva Control Center rather than the command line tools. At first,
    anyway.

    And if you hadn't got the sources set up, see Bit Twister's post above.

    --
    Dave Farrance

    --
    Dave Farrance

  4. Re: Howto update urpmi database

    Dave Farrance wrote:
    > Highland Ham wrote:
    >
    >> Probably a stupid question : howto update urpmi database.
    >> I had a look in http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Tools/urpmi,
    >> but could not find the answer.
    >> Any hint please

    > Well, it is there, about half way down: urpmi.update
    >
    > For how to use it:
    > man urpmi.update
    >
    > Though it's easier for beginners to use the package manager in the
    > Mandriva Control Center rather than the command line tools. At first,
    > anyway.
    >
    > And if you hadn't got the sources set up, see Bit Twister's post above.

    ===================================
    BT & DF Tnx you both for the helpful response .
    Only NOW I understand that urpmi.update is updating the urpmi DATABASE.
    I always use the CLI with urpmi to get progs and updates from my
    selected mirror.

    I am also gradually going through the course at Linux Online :
    http://www.linux.org which I find excellent.
    In this way I begin feeling to be more comfortable with using the CLI.

    In the meantime I am now using Linux for for 95% of all regular apps.

    My next hurdle is to install a SIP prog such that I shall be able to
    use VOIPbuster on my Linux box for all my international phone calls.
    VOIPbuster is operated by a Cologne-Germany based company ,who are NOT
    prepared to produce a Linux version of their Windoze based prog.
    Instead they inform Linux users how to use their service with a Linux
    based SIP.........to me quite a challenge ! I do use Skype for Linux but
    not for VOIP telephone.

    Frank

  5. Re: [OT] Howto update urpmi database

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 20:56:48 +0100, Highland Ham wrote:

    > My next hurdle is to install a SIP prog such that I shall be able to
    > use VOIPbuster on my Linux box for all my international phone calls.
    > VOIPbuster is operated by a Cologne-Germany based company ,who are NOT
    > prepared to produce a Linux version of their Windoze based prog. Instead
    > they inform Linux users how to use their service with a Linux based
    > SIP.........to me quite a challenge ! I do use Skype for Linux but not
    > for VOIP telephone.
    >
    > Frank

    UH...

    If you don't use Skype for Voip... what do you use it for?

  6. Re: [OT] Howto update urpmi database

    Jim Whitby wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 20:56:48 +0100, Highland Ham wrote:
    >

    >> My next hurdle is to install a SIP prog such that I shall be able to
    >> use VOIPbuster on my Linux box for all my international phone calls.
    >> VOIPbuster is operated by a Cologne-Germany based company ,who are NOT
    >> prepared to produce a Linux version of their Windoze based prog. Instead
    >> they inform Linux users how to use their service with a Linux based
    >> SIP.........to me quite a challenge ! I do use Skype for Linux but not
    >> for VOIP telephone.
    >>
    >> Frank

    > UH...
    >
    > If you don't use Skype for Voip... what do you use it for?

    As per the above I don't use it for telephone ,just for VOIP P2P voice
    comms.

    Frank

+ Reply to Thread