Asus spacelink WL-140 ? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Asus spacelink WL-140 ? - Mandriva ; Yes i have old hardware; How to install this under mandriva, please ? Thx, l...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. Asus spacelink WL-140 ?

    Yes i have old hardware; How to install this under mandriva, please ?

    Thx,

  2. Re: Asus spacelink WL-140 ?

    On 27 avr, 11:52, liszt...@aliceadsl.fr wrote:
    > Yes i have old hardware; How to install this under mandriva, please ?
    >
    > Thx,

    It is just a nightmare i have no more patience. For this well-known
    hardware, asus spacelink wl 140, there is nothing on the www for
    helping me to get it working; No item in this ng for example. It's a
    prism chip, someone bought it me as a gift specially for using with
    linux.
    My Ati rage mobility P/M card, is not working, despite the X11 config
    file shows "load DRI" i can't stand such things : either it is loaded
    and working or it is not, but it should not be loaded and *not*
    working, mostly when drake conf shows me that 3D acceleration is
    enable and so on...
    Then someone might have remove the drm in the 2008 kernel and someone
    else wrote a bug report, so some other nice people wrote a kernel
    patch... It is just a nightmare.

  3. Re: Asus spacelink WL-140 ?

    lisztnet@aliceadsl.fr wrote:

    > It is just a nightmare i have no more patience. For this well-known
    > hardware, asus spacelink wl 140, there is nothing on the www for
    > helping me to get it working; No item in this ng for example. It's a
    > prism chip, someone bought it me as a gift specially for using with
    > linux.

    If it's a Prism chip, then it's supported, and a quick look with Google does
    indeed show that this particular adapter is supported by the Linux kernel.
    So what you need to do is load the driver into the kernel,
    using /modprobe./

    You may need to fiddle with the various */etc/modprobe.$WHATEVER* files if
    you want it loaded at boot time, though.

    > My Ati rage mobility P/M card, is not working, despite the X11 config
    > file shows "load DRI" i can't stand such things : either it is loaded
    > and working or it is not, but it should not be loaded and *not*
    > working, mostly when drake conf shows me that 3D acceleration is
    > enable and so on...

    Just because your X11 configuration loads the DRI doesn't mean that you're
    using the correct driver. With a framebuffer driver, DRI wouldn't have
    much effect.

    Your video adapter is already quite old. Therefore, it's bound to be
    supported, but if my memory serves me right, then that adapter doesn't
    exactly have a lot of on-board video memory and a relatively slow GPU, and
    as such, your 3D performance can't be spectacular.

    You /could/ always try to get a newer driver from AMD's website, but I doubt
    that it would make much of a difference, or that this driver is even still
    actively being developed.

    > Then someone might have remove the drm in the 2008 kernel and someone
    > else wrote a bug report, so some other nice people wrote a kernel
    > patch... It is just a nightmare.

    It's far less of a nightmare than installing Windows and getting everything
    to work. I don't use Windows myself, but I have been called upon more than
    once by people who do to come and reinstall their crap OS for them, and I
    can assure you that I've had a painstakingly hard time trying to get their
    vendor-supplied drivers to work.

    Mandriva is one of the easiest distro's to use and install. Not everything
    is perfect, but I think you could have been far worse off. Like for
    instance, it could have been Windows...

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  4. Re: Asus spacelink WL-140 ?

    > It is just a nightmare i have no more patience. For this well-known
    > hardware, asus spacelink wl 140, there is nothing on the www for
    > helping me to get it working; No item in this ng for example. It's a
    > prism chip, someone bought it me as a gift specially for using with
    > linux.
    > My Ati rage mobility P/M card, is not working, despite the X11 config
    > file shows "load DRI" i can't stand such things : either it is loaded
    > and working or it is not, but it should not be loaded and *not*
    > working, mostly when drake conf shows me that 3D acceleration is
    > enable and so on...
    > Then someone might have remove the drm in the 2008 kernel and someone
    > else wrote a bug report, so some other nice people wrote a kernel
    > patch... It is just a nightmare.

    From your response it is very clear : You don't have the patience
    .....to learn. Everything should be delivered 'on a plate' with salt and
    pepper nearby . You are probably a typical representative of today's
    'grey (I want it NOW) masses' .

    Frank an oldie, very much willing and prepared to learn !

  5. Re: Asus spacelink WL-140 ?

    On 27 avr, 12:36, Highland Ham
    wrote:
    > > It is just a nightmare i have no more patience. For this well-known
    > > hardware, asus spacelink wl 140, there is nothing on the www for
    > > helping me to get it working; No item in this ng for example. It's a
    > > prism chip, someone bought it me as a gift specially for using with
    > > linux.
    > > My Ati rage mobility P/M card, is not working, despite the X11 config
    > > file shows "load DRI" i can't stand such things : either it is loaded
    > > and working or it is not, but it should not be loaded and *not*
    > > working, mostly when drake conf shows me that 3D acceleration is
    > > enable and so on...
    > > Then someone might have remove the drm in the 2008 kernel and someone
    > > else wrote a bug report, so some other nice people wrote a kernel
    > > patch... It is just a nightmare.

    > From your response it is very clear : You don't have the patience
    > ....to learn. Everything should be delivered 'on a plate' with salt and
    > pepper nearby . You are probably a typical representative of today's
    > 'grey (I want it NOW) masses' .
    >
    > Frank an oldie, very much willing and prepared to learn !

    You know, i've used mandrake 8.1-9.1 2 years along, on this same
    laptop (dell latitude), and i had patience at this time, but now i
    have a *work* to do which is pretty much important, time is running
    away..

    I remember having spend days twicking procmail, mutt mail etc....
    every thing. But i always hated the way information is spread in a
    chaotic way.

    For example, i located "prism" . Ok i read the stuff in a readme file
    which told me to load a prism_2 module, but this module simply doesn't
    exist ! in place, there is a kernel module (i guess) called
    prism54.ko.gz. (easy, there are only 3 files named prism on my
    system). Should i load it ? i don't know. Is it a module, i don't
    know ; with what parameters should i load it ? i don't know. Since i
    have no internet, i'm for rebooting one ore time to windows, do a
    search, and then rebooting to mandriva, and so on;

  6. Re: Asus spacelink WL-140 ?

    On 27 avr, 12:28, Aragorn wrote:
    > liszt...@aliceadsl.fr wrote:
    > > It is just a nightmare i have no more patience. For this well-known
    > > hardware, asus spacelink wl 140, there is nothing on the www for
    > > helping me to get it working; No item in this ng for example. It's a
    > > prism chip, someone bought it me as a gift specially for using with
    > > linux.

    > If it's a Prism chip, then it's supported, and a quick look with Google does
    > indeed show that this particular adapter is supported by the Linux kernel.
    > So what you need to do is load the driver into the kernel,
    > using /modprobe./
    >
    > You may need to fiddle with the various */etc/modprobe.$WHATEVER* files if
    > you want it loaded at boot time, though.
    >
    > > My Ati rage mobility P/M card, is not working, despite the X11 config
    > > file shows "load DRI" i can't stand such things : either it is loaded
    > > and working or it is not, but it should not be loaded and *not*
    > > working, mostly when drake conf shows me that 3D acceleration is
    > > enable and so on...

    > Just because your X11 configuration loads the DRI doesn't mean that you're
    > using the correct driver. With a framebuffer driver, DRI wouldn't have
    > much effect.
    >
    > Your video adapter is already quite old. Therefore, it's bound to be
    > supported, but if my memory serves me right, then that adapter doesn't
    > exactly have a lot of on-board video memory and a relatively slow GPU, and
    > as such, your 3D performance can't be spectacular.

    It has enough memory for making 300 fps on a mandrake 9.1. But if i go
    back to mandrake 9, i won't have the latest Gimp.

    > You /could/ always try to get a newer driver from AMD's website,

    Ah no, why not intel ...? lol

    but I doubt
    > that it would make much of a difference, or that this driver is even still
    > actively being developed.
    >
    > > Then someone might have remove the drm in the 2008 kernel and someone
    > > else wrote a bug report, so some other nice people wrote a kernel
    > > patch... It is just a nightmare.

    > It's far less of a nightmare than installing Windows and getting everything
    > to work. I don't use Windows myself, but I have been called upon more than
    > once by people who do to come and reinstall their crap OS for them, and I
    > can assure you that I've had a painstakingly hard time trying to get their
    > vendor-supplied drivers to work.
    >
    > Mandriva is one of the easiest distro's to use and install.

    Yes but maybe with mainstream hardware; But Linux used to be good for
    old hardware too, and now this isn't true anymore....

    Not everything
    > is perfect, but I think you could have been far worse off. Like for
    > instance, it could have been Windows...

    Windows is not really bad, mostly windows 9X. Not XP of course;

    For what i'm doing it's fine. Regarding the FAT32, despite it's not
    journalized, it never really goes corrupted ! i didn't reinstall since
    more than 3 years now, can't even remember since when.

    So i think they left me with a prism54 module which is for

    http://islsm.org/wiki/doku.php?id=driver:linux_driver

    newer prism54 dongle

    hence i should :

    Firmware

    First you’ll need a firmware from the Firmware directory.

    (imho, the prism module coming with mandriva 2008 is for this new
    dongle, not for my WL-140 wlan...)

  7. Re: Asus spacelink WL-140 ?

    On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 06:36:03 -0700, lisztnet wrote:

    > For example, i located "prism" . Ok i read the stuff in a readme file
    > which told me to load a prism_2 module, but this module simply doesn't
    > exist ! in place, there is a kernel module (i guess) called
    > prism54.ko.gz. (easy, there are only 3 files named prism on my system).
    > Should i load it ? i don't know. Is it a module, i don't know ; with
    > what parameters should i load it ? i don't know.

    Prism54 is the wrong module for a Prism2 card. Your system should have
    loaded the hostap module, or at worst the orinoco module.

    To load a module, do (as root)

    modprobe modulename,

    So to load the hostap driver you would type

    modprobe hostap

    Now, to save a LOT of time going back and forth, why not post the
    complete output of "lspci" and "lsusb" right now? With your prism card
    plugged in as well.

  8. Re: Asus spacelink WL-140 ?

    lisztnet@aliceadsl.fr wrote:

    > On 27 avr, 12:28, Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> liszt...@aliceadsl.fr wrote:
    >>
    >> > My Ati rage mobility P/M card, is not working, despite the X11 config
    >> > file shows "load DRI" i can't stand such things : either it is loaded
    >> > and working or it is not, but it should not be loaded and *not*
    >> > working, mostly when drake conf shows me that 3D acceleration is
    >> > enable and so on...

    >> Just because your X11 configuration loads the DRI doesn't mean that
    >> you're using the correct driver. With a framebuffer driver, DRI wouldn't
    >> have much effect.
    >>
    >> Your video adapter is already quite old. Therefore, it's bound to be
    >> supported, but if my memory serves me right, then that adapter doesn't
    >> exactly have a lot of on-board video memory and a relatively slow GPU,
    >> and as such, your 3D performance can't be spectacular.

    > It has enough memory for making 300 fps on a mandrake 9.1. But if i go
    > back to mandrake 9, i won't have the latest Gimp.

    If it does 300 fps in Mandrake 9.x, then it should be able to do that in
    Mandriva 2008.1 and later as well, which tells me that you haven't loaded
    the correct driver for it. Most likely you're just using the generic
    framebuffer driver, which does all the rendering via emulation by software
    in system RAM, rather than by the GPU and the adapter's onboard video RAM.

    >> You /could/ always try to get a newer driver from AMD's website,

    > Ah no, why not intel ...? lol

    Because AMD now owns ATi. ;-)

    >> Mandriva is one of the easiest distro's to use and install.

    > Yes but maybe with mainstream hardware; But Linux used to be good for
    > old hardware too, and now this isn't true anymore....

    It has never stopped being true, as far as I know. The only hardware
    support vanishing from GNU/Linux is for hardware that was barely ever sold
    or used, which is hardly the case for the Mach64 chip.

    >> Not everything is perfect, but I think you could have been far worse off.
    >> Like for instance, it could have been Windows...
    >>

    > Windows is not really bad, mostly windows 9X. Not XP of course;

    Windows has *always* been bad. It's flawed by its very design, and coming
    from Microsoft, it's even worse in terms of quality than any other
    proprietary software. This is my technical view on Windows.

    My ethical view on Windows is that it's bad because it's proprietary, and
    that it's even far worse because it's a Microsoft product. Microsoft is by
    definition an eternally bad company.

    They have no ethics and no shame, they do not understand the meaning of the
    words "democracy", "fair use", "fair play", "respect for the customer".
    They are a supremely arrogant, utterly narcissistic, shamelessly
    opportunistic, vehemently traitorous and criminally psychopathic
    corporation.

    I am not religious - I believe in science, which is far more neutral and far
    more interesting - but I was raised a Catholic by my parents, and I know
    enough of religion/mythology to know that if there really were a devil, and
    he'd start a company, then in every possible interpretation of the concept
    of evil, Microsoft would be it.

    You can't trust them. Ever. And knowledge of operating system technology
    *proves* that you can't ever trust Windows technically. It's retarded.
    It's perverse. It's illogical.

    Even calling Windows a "toy operating system" is wrong, because toys are
    supposed to be fun. Considering that only those with a clue get to buy an
    off-the-shelf consumergrade PC without Windows pre-installed while all
    others get it shoved down their throats whether they've asked for it or not
    makes the denominator "torturing and brainwashing device" far more eligible
    as a description.

    > For what i'm doing it's fine. Regarding the FAT32, despite it's not
    > journalized, it never really goes corrupted !

    Maybe not for you, but I certainly have seen my share of corrupted FAT
    filesystems in the days of DOS, with or without Windows.

    > i didn't reinstall since more than 3 years now, can't even remember since
    > when.

    I don't think my brother has ever reinstalled his Windows versions either -
    he used to have a PC with Windows 98 First Edition and now they have one
    with XP Home - but that doesn't mean they haven't had any other problems.

    Hook up Windows to the internet, and your system is already compromised
    within seconds, which is far sooner than you've managed to download any
    security patches. Hell, even Microsoft's own Windows Update website was
    distributing malware-infected binaries only a few years ago.

    > So i think they left me with a prism54 module which is for
    >
    > http://islsm.org/wiki/doku.php?id=driver:linux_driver
    >
    > newer prism54 dongle
    >
    > hence i should :
    >
    > Firmware
    >
    > First you’ll need a firmware from the Firmware directory.
    >

    > (imho, the prism module coming with mandriva 2008 is for this new
    > dongle, not for my WL-140 wlan...)

    I don't know whether Mandriva's commercial distributions come with firmware
    updates - it's possible, because I've seen it with CentOS - but like they
    say: "If all else fails, read the manual." ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  9. Re: Asus spacelink WL-140 ?

    marksouth a écrit :
    > On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 06:36:03 -0700, lisztnet wrote:
    >
    > > For example, i located "prism" . Ok i read the stuff in a readme file
    > > which told me to load a prism_2 module, but this module simply doesn't
    > > exist ! in place, there is a kernel module (i guess) called
    > > prism54.ko.gz. (easy, there are only 3 files named prism on my system).
    > > Should i load it ? i don't know. Is it a module, i don't know ; with
    > > what parameters should i load it ? i don't know.

    > Prism54 is the wrong module for a Prism2 card. Your system should have
    > loaded the hostap module, or at worst the orinoco module.
    >
    > To load a module, do (as root)
    >
    > modprobe modulename,
    >
    > So to load the hostap driver you would type
    >
    > modprobe hostap
    >
    > Now, to save a LOT of time going back and forth, why not post the
    > complete output of "lspci" and "lsusb" right now? With your prism card
    > plugged in as well.

    That's a good idea; when i have reinstalled mandriva. I'm trying
    ubuntu 8.04 now, where my card is suppose to work right out of the
    box... i erased the folder with the mandriva iso too maybe i can
    undelete it...

  10. Re: Asus spacelink WL-140 ?

    On 28 avr, 02:04, Aragorn wrote:
> [...]

    > > For what i'm doing it's fine. Regarding the FAT32, despite it's not
    > > journalized, it never really goes corrupted !

    > Maybe not for you, but I certainly have seen my share of corrupted FAT
    > filesystems in the days of DOS, with or without Windows.
    >
    > > i didn't reinstall since more than 3 years now, can't even remember since
    > > when.

    > I don't think my brother has ever reinstalled his Windows versions either -
    > he used to have a PC with Windows 98 First Edition and now they have one
    > with XP Home - but that doesn't mean they haven't had any other problems.
    >
    > Hook up Windows to the internet, and your system is already compromised
    > within seconds, which is far sooner than you've managed to download any
    > security patches. Hell, even Microsoft's own Windows Update website was
    > distributing malware-infected binaries only a few years ago.

    Microsoft is a capitalistic monster which tends to grow toward a
    monpole... and their only goal is to erase each other competitor, and
    they do every thing in this unique goal ! There is not other meaning
    behind any single action of this company, as usually there is no other
    meaning behind Monsanto's action, and the united states governement
    action (church's action..) Therefor they can't stand venezuela, Cuba,
    because this are "alternatives" to the mainstream model, which could
    make people think that another life is possible, instead of suffering
    poerty in the USA. That's another chapter but it's the same thinking =
    erase any competitor. (Darwin theorie) Maybe in China they think
    another way...

    Anyway, i tend to think that FAT32 is closed to ext2. Both are chained
    filesystem...i wonder however why ext2 never need to defragment.

    Windows 9X is light, and close to the Qbasic, Dos world, debug and
    assembler.

  11. Re: Asus spacelink WL-140 ?

    On 27 avr, 18:01, marksouth wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 06:36:03 -0700, lisztnet wrote:
    > > For example, i located "prism" . Ok i read the stuff in a readme file
    > > which told me to load a prism_2 module, but this module simply doesn't
    > > exist ! in place, there is a kernel module (i guess) called
    > > prism54.ko.gz. (easy, there are only 3 files named prism on my system).
    > > Should i load it ? i don't know. Is it a module, i don't know ; with
    > > what parameters should i load it ? i don't know.

    > Prism54 is the wrong module for a Prism2 card. Your system should have
    > loaded the hostap module, or at worst the orinoco module.
    >
    > To load a module, do (as root)
    >
    > modprobe modulename,
    >
    > So to load the hostap driver you would type
    >
    > modprobe hostap

    Done, but didn't figure out the end of the story

    > Now, to save a LOT of time going back and forth, why not post the
    > complete output of "lspci" and "lsusb" right now? With your prism card
    > plugged in as well.

    lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX
    Host bridge (rev 03)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX AGP
    bridge (rev 03)
    00:03.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1225 (rev 01)
    00:03.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1225 (rev 01)
    00:07.0 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
    00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev
    01)
    00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev
    01)
    00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 03)
    00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1978 Maestro 2E
    (rev 10)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility
    P/M AGP 2x (rev 64)
    06:00.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
    06:00.1 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
    06:00.2 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB 2.0 (rev 04)

    Here is my brilliant material;

    lsusb
    Unknown line at line 2389
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0d62:a100 Darfon Electronics Corp. Benq Mouse
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0204:6025
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2821:3300

    Yes i have a Benq mouse... I reinstalled every thing to try out your
    hint. More tomorrow.

    L.

  12. Re: Asus spacelink WL-140 ?

    lisztnet@aliceadsl.fr wrote:

    > Anyway, i tend to think that FAT32 is closed to ext2. Both are chained
    > filesystem...i wonder however why ext2 never need to defragment.

    Because the I/O scheduler in /ext2/ (and derivatives) tries to minimize
    fragmentation by smart block allocation. ;-)

    It doesn't actually rule out that fragmentation eventually might occur, but
    the effects of fragmentation on any of the GNU/Linux filesystems is also
    far less important than it is in Windows.

    The I/O scheduler in the Linux kernel reschedules the read/write operations
    in such a way that the diskheads require minimal movement, and on top of
    that, GNU/Linux is a multitasking operating system, so whether files on
    disk are physically contiguous or not is of less importance.

    The only filesystem for the Linux kernel that suffers from a multithreading
    bottleneck is version 3.x of the Reiser Filesystem - i.e. /reiserfs,/
    not /reiser4/ - because it still relies on "the big kernel lock", which is
    bound to a single processor core/hyperthread. All other GNU/Linux
    filesystems are well-adapted (within varying degrees) to multithreading.

    By the way, you can speed up the performance of any /ext2,/ /ext3/ or /ext4/
    filesystem by enabling the B-tree algorithm using /tune2fs./

    man tune2fs

    .... for more information on how to do that. ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  13. Re: Asus spacelink WL-140 ?

    On 29 avr, 00:22, liszt...@aliceadsl.fr wrote:
    > On 27 avr, 18:01, marksouth wrote:
    >

    > > On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 06:36:03 -0700, lisztnet wrote:
    > > > For example, i located "prism" . Ok i read the stuff in a readme file
    > > > which told me to load a prism_2 module, but this module simply doesn't
    > > > exist ! in place, there is a kernel module (i guess) called
    > > > prism54.ko.gz. (easy, there are only 3 files named prism on my system).
    > > > Should i load it ? i don't know. Is it a module, i don't know ; with
    > > > what parameters should i load it ? i don't know.

    > > Prism54 is the wrong module for a Prism2 card. Your system should have
    > > loaded the hostap module, or at worst the orinoco module.

    > > To load a module, do (as root)

    > > modprobe modulename,

    > > So to load the hostap driver you would type

    > > modprobe hostap

    > Done, but didn't figure out the end of the story
    >

    > > Now, to save a LOT of time going back and forth, why not post the
    > > complete output of "lspci" and "lsusb" right now? With your prism card
    > > plugged in as well.

    > lspci
    > 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX
    > Host bridge (rev 03)
    > 00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX AGP
    > bridge (rev 03)
    > 00:03.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1225 (rev 01)
    > 00:03.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1225 (rev 01)
    > 00:07.0 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
    > 00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev
    > 01)
    > 00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev
    > 01)
    > 00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 03)
    > 00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1978 Maestro 2E
    > (rev 10)
    > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility
    > P/M AGP 2x (rev 64)
    > 06:00.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
    > 06:00.1 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
    > 06:00.2 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB 2.0 (rev 04)
    >
    > Here is my brilliant material;
    >
    > lsusb
    > Unknown line at line 2389
    > Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0d62:a100 Darfon Electronics Corp. Benq Mouse
    > Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    > Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0204:6025
    > Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    > Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    > Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    > Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2821:3300
    >
    > Yes i have a Benq mouse... I reinstalled every thing to try out your
    > hint. More tomorrow.
    >
    > L.

    The last line correspond to the Asus WL-140 card

    However, could anyone help me to get the hostap *module* ? and set it
    up

    TIA,

  14. Re: Asus spacelink WL-140 ?

    On 29 avr, 13:01, liszt...@aliceadsl.fr wrote:
    > On 29 avr, 00:22, liszt...@aliceadsl.fr wrote:

    > > > Prism54 is the wrong module for a Prism2 card. Your system should have
    > > > loaded the hostap module, or at worst the orinoco module.

    > > > To load a module, do (as root)

    > > > modprobe modulename,

    > > > So to load the hostap driver you would type

    > > > modprobe hostap

    > > Done, but didn't figure out the end of the story

    > > > Now, to save a LOT of time going back and forth, why not post the
    > > > complete output of "lspci" and "lsusb" right now? With your prism card
    > > > plugged in as well.

    > > lspci
    > > 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX
    > > Host bridge (rev 03)
    > > 00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX AGP
    > > bridge (rev 03)
    > > 00:03.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1225 (rev 01)
    > > 00:03.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1225 (rev 01)
    > > 00:07.0 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
    > > 00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev
    > > 01)
    > > 00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev
    > > 01)
    > > 00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 03)
    > > 00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1978 Maestro 2E
    > > (rev 10)
    > > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility
    > > P/M AGP 2x (rev 64)
    > > 06:00.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
    > > 06:00.1 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
    > > 06:00.2 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB 2.0 (rev 04)

    > > Here is my brilliant material;

    > > lsusb
    > > Unknown line at line 2389
    > > Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0d62:a100 Darfon Electronics Corp. Benq Mouse
    > > Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    > > Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0204:6025
    > > Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    > > Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    > > Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    > > Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2821:3300

    > > Yes i have a Benq mouse... I reinstalled every thing to try out your
    > > hint. More tomorrow.

    > > L.

    > The last line correspond to the Asus WL-140 card
    >
    > However, could anyone help me to get the hostap *module* ? and set it
    > up
    >
    > TIA,

    I still not got anything at all to work... You need to be a linux guru
    to survive;

    Then, i notice that mandriva/KDE is turning into a resource hog,
    compared to mandrake 9. Nowadays, my mouse is sluggish (pentium III
    750Mh). That is *not* normal, i don't want to run a Vista thing; Then,
    i can't play a movie : mplayer gives an echo, xine is out of breath
    (image is jerky);

  15. Re: Asus spacelink WL-140 ?

    On 29 avr, 15:35, liszt...@aliceadsl.fr wrote:
    > On 29 avr, 13:01, liszt...@aliceadsl.fr wrote:

    > > > Done, but didn't figure out the end of the story

    > > > lspci
    > > > 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX
    > > > Host bridge (rev 03)
    > > > 00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX AGP
    > > > bridge (rev 03)
    > > > 00:03.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1225 (rev 01)
    > > > 00:03.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1225 (rev 01)
    > > > 00:07.0 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
    > > > 00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev
    > > > 01)
    > > > 00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev
    > > > 01)
    > > > 00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 03)
    > > > 00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1978 Maestro 2E
    > > > (rev 10)
    > > > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility
    > > > P/M AGP 2x (rev 64)
    > > > 06:00.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
    > > > 06:00.1 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
    > > > 06:00.2 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB 2.0 (rev 04)

    > > > Here is my brilliant material;

    > > > lsusb
    > > > Unknown line at line 2389
    > > > Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0d62:a100 Darfon Electronics Corp. Benq Mouse
    > > > Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    > > > Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0204:6025
    > > > Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    > > > Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    > > > Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    > > > Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2821:3300

    > > > Yes i have a Benq mouse... I reinstalled every thing to try out your
    > > > hint. More tomorrow.

    > > > L.

    > > The last line correspond to the Asus WL-140 card

    > > However, could anyone help me to get the hostap *module* ? and set it
    > > up

    > > TIA,

    > I still not got anything at all to work... You need to be a linux guru
    > to survive;
    >
    > Then, i notice that mandriva/KDE is turning into a resource hog,
    > compared to mandrake 9. Nowadays, my mouse is sluggish (pentium III
    > 750Mh). That is *not* normal, i don't want to run a Vista thing; Then,
    > i can't play a movie : mplayer gives an echo, xine is out of breath
    > (image is jerky);

    I should use linux wlan-ng and NOT hostap :

    http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/Network_A...%28Wireless%29

    but can't find it : every ftp link issue a "not found"

  16. Re: Asus spacelink WL-140 ?

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 15:08:13 -0400, wrote:

    > I should use linux wlan-ng and NOT hostap :
    > but can't find it : every ftp link issue a "not found"

    Take a look at http://www.linux-wlan.org/

    The ftp link there is working. Note that it's a source tarball
    for a kernel module, so you'll have to have the appropriate
    kernel-devel package installed, for which ever kernel you're
    using, in order to be able to compile it.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  17. Re: Asus spacelink WL-140 ?

    On 29 avr, 22:06, "David W. Hodgins"
    wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 15:08:13 -0400, wrote:
    > > I should use linux wlan-ng and NOT hostap :
    > > but can't find it : every ftp link issue a "not found"

    > Take a look athttp://www.linux-wlan.org/
    >
    > The ftp link there is working. Note that it's a source tarball
    > for a kernel module, so you'll have to have the appropriate
    > kernel-devel package installed, for which ever kernel you're
    > using, in order to be able to compile it.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >
    > --
    > Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    > (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    > use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

    Not Found

    The requested URL /pub/linux-wlan-ng/ was not found on this server.

    Not Found

    The requested URL /pub/linux-wlan/ was not found on this server.

    Not Found

    The requested URL /download.html was not found on this server.

    Not Found

    The requested URL /pub/linux-wlan-ng/README was not found on this
    server.

    Not Found

    The requested URL /writings.html was not found on this server.

    Not Found

    The requested URL /news.html was not found on this server.

    And so on... i never saw so much of this stuff as here.

    I'm using firefox 2

  18. Re: Asus spacelink WL-140 ?

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 16:22:50 -0400, wrote:

    > The requested URL /pub/linux-wlan-ng/README was not found on this
    > server.
    > I'm using firefox 2

    Something is obviously messed up with firefox's handling of the ftp
    site. I'm using opera, and have no problem getting
    ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan-ng/README and
    ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-w...-0.2.8.tar.bz2

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  19. Re: Asus spacelink WL-140 ?

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    >> The requested URL /pub/linux-wlan-ng/README was not found on this
    >> server.
    >> I'm using firefox 2

    > Something is obviously messed up with firefox's handling of the ftp
    > site.

    Something messed up with the op's firefox. No trouble with those links here.

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284

  20. Re: Asus spacelink WL-140 ?

    David W. Hodgins a écrit :
    > On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 15:08:13 -0400, wrote:
    >
    > > I should use linux wlan-ng and NOT hostap :
    > > but can't find it : every ftp link issue a "not found"

    > Take a look at http://www.linux-wlan.org/
    >
    > The ftp link there is working. Note that it's a source tarball
    > for a kernel module, so you'll have to have the appropriate
    > kernel-devel package installed, for which ever kernel you're
    > using, in order to be able to compile it.

    Sorry, maybe my proxy did a mess up with the ftp server !

    with Opera and no proxy, i finally get access;

    i don't know if i will be able to install the stuff....since i never
    compiled something else than mplayer.... for the moment i'm trying
    ubuntu hardy...there is only an apt-get package to install.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast