Asus spacelink WL-140 ? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Asus spacelink WL-140 ? - Mandriva ; Highland Ham a écrit : > > It is just a nightmare i have no more patience. For this well-known > > hardware, asus spacelink wl 140, there is nothing on the www for > > helping me to get ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: Asus spacelink WL-140 ?

    Highland Ham a écrit :
    > > It is just a nightmare i have no more patience. For this well-known
    > > hardware, asus spacelink wl 140, there is nothing on the www for
    > > helping me to get it working; No item in this ng for example. It's a
    > > prism chip, someone bought it me as a gift specially for using with
    > > linux.
    > > My Ati rage mobility P/M card, is not working, despite the X11 config
    > > file shows "load DRI" i can't stand such things : either it is loaded
    > > and working or it is not, but it should not be loaded and *not*
    > > working, mostly when drake conf shows me that 3D acceleration is
    > > enable and so on...
    > > Then someone might have remove the drm in the 2008 kernel and someone
    > > else wrote a bug report, so some other nice people wrote a kernel
    > > patch... It is just a nightmare.

    > From your response it is very clear : You don't have the patience
    > ....to learn. Everything should be delivered 'on a plate' with salt and
    > pepper nearby . You are probably a typical representative of today's
    > 'grey (I want it NOW) masses' .
    >
    > Frank an oldie, very much willing and prepared to learn !

    Yeah but i'm just angry. that's not good for the appetite. The things
    are not difficult, but the information is laking. When i lost too much
    time, i tend to erase partition and move too something else, because
    obviously there is a hiatus, between what i am and the OS requirement;
    I'm not willing to be lost into the African savanna with nothing else
    than a knife, and that' mandriva. *they should have though about me*.
    In this group my hardware is just unknown, no one else posted for this
    asus card.
    The mandriva installation didn't put any binaries related to prism_2,
    just docs...At least i don't fit to this kind of abandon ware;
    Even if i could now compile the wlang-ng, i feel i don't want so. It
    should have been there, one should have think about it an dont let me
    in that struggle;

    Foremost, Mandriva KDE is know wanting too much resources, so that my
    mouse is jerky, while on mandrake 9.1 + KDE 2xx my mouse was fine ! i
    strongly dislike the way of using more and more resources for
    bull**** ! It was fine with a 450MH CPU, - now it's bad with a 750Mh
    CPU ! I'm very disappointed;

  2. Re: Asus spacelink WL-140 ?

    lisztnet@aliceadsl.fr wrote:
    >snip
    > Foremost, Mandriva KDE is know wanting too much resources, so that my
    > mouse is jerky, while on mandrake 9.1 + KDE 2xx my mouse was fine ! i
    > strongly dislike the way of using more and more resources for
    > bull**** ! It was fine with a 450MH CPU, - now it's bad with a 750Mh
    > CPU ! I'm very disappointed;

    All distros have evolved aiming for more up to date equipment which
    provides more resources.
    However on a yesterday's machine you can still run a modern distro
    provided you use a more modest desktop like ,for example ,ICEWM.

    The ASUS eeePC is a modern example of a minimalist laptop with an
    under-clocked Celeron processor ,but very much capable of handling the
    latest distros including Mandriva (who apparently have tweaked their
    latest offering to suit this machine according to the mag:Linux Format)

    Frank
    who hopes to receive an ASUS eeePC 8G in the not too distant future.
    Linux is and remains a very worthwhile challenge.

  3. Re: Asus spacelink WL-140 ? Posted from Ubuntu Hardy

    On 30 avr, 14:16, Highland Ham
    wrote:
    > liszt...@aliceadsl.fr wrote:
    > >snip
    > > Foremost, Mandriva KDE is know wanting too much resources, so that my
    > > mouse is jerky, while on mandrake 9.1 + KDE 2xx my mouse was fine ! i
    > > strongly dislike the way of using more and more resources for
    > > bull**** ! It was fine with a 450MH CPU, - now it's bad with a 750Mh
    > > CPU ! I'm very disappointed;

    > All distros have evolved aiming for more up to date equipment which
    > provides more resources.
    > However on a yesterday's machine you can still run a modern distro
    > provided you use a more modest desktop like ,for example ,ICEWM.
    >
    > The ASUS eeePC is a modern example of a minimalist laptop with an
    > under-clocked Celeron processor ,but very much capable of handling the
    > latest distros including Mandriva (who apparently have tweaked their
    > latest offering to suit this machine according to the mag:Linux Format)
    >
    > Frank
    > who hopes to receive an ASUS eeePC 8G in the not too distant future.
    > Linux is and remains a very worthwhile challenge.

    Hhuhuhhh...

    Posted from Buntu HARDY, where my card is working right out of the
    box, as promised ! No wlan-ng to install, nothing to install. I feel
    much better.

    GNOME is maybe lighter than KDE ? Any way, mouse is not jerking
    around, gnome seems fast;

    My computer from yesterday is still alive, i kept it specially to
    avoid exotic hardware. Only traditional computing here, - like old
    cooking, no OGM.

    Hope you get your Asus eeepc although they bring out another version
    in may 2008 with a larger screen imho. i would like it too;

    One test remain, if i can play a video...

    installing codecs take 20mn of disk spinning, to fail...Gates was a
    genius.

  4. Re: Asus spacelink WL-140 ? Posted from Ubuntu Hardy

    lisztnet@aliceadsl.fr wrote:

    > Hhuhuhhh...
    >
    > Posted from Buntu HARDY, where my card is working right out of the
    > box, as promised ! No wlan-ng to install, nothing to install. I feel
    > much better.

    Then maybe Ubuntu is the right distribution for you. Not everyone is happy
    with Mandriva, just as not everyone is happy with Ubuntu.

    People have different tastes, preferences and skill. That's one of the
    reasons as to why there are literally hundreds of GNU/Linux distributions
    out there. Just check out...

    http://www.distrowatch.com

    > GNOME is maybe lighter than KDE ?

    Yes, somewhat, although the difference is getting smaller. Additionally,
    Gnome does not use a window manager of its own; instead it uses a
    lightweight window manager called Metacity - unless they've changed it
    again; they had previously already used Enlightenment and Sawfish/Sawmill -
    while KDE has its own built-in window manager, called /kwin/ - /kwm/ in KDE
    1.x.

    KDe 4.0 is even more complex than KDE 3.x because it has a whole different
    approach to the desktop paradigm.

    > Any way, mouse is not jerking around, gnome seems fast;

    The jerkiness of the mouse was probably caused by a process stuck in
    kernelmode. It would have been nice to know which one, so that people with
    a similar problem could file a bug report. ;-)

    > [...]
    > One test remain, if i can play a video...
    >
    > installing codecs take 20mn of disk spinning, to fail...Gates was a
    > genius.

    An evil genius, yes. He managed to get everyone into buying a perpetual
    beta version of a totally defunct excuse for an operating system at a
    pricetag far beyond what's rational, and he did so by spreading lies,
    making false promises, setting up true mafia-style extortionist contracts,
    stealing technology from others - or did you actually think that Microsoft
    has *ever* developed anything of their own? - and arrogantly breaking the
    law wherever he can.

    "Ein volk, ein Reich, ein Führer"
    -- Adolf Hitler

    "One people, one internet, one operating system"
    -- William Henry Gates III

    Does any of the above ring a bell?

    --
    *Aragorn*