Duplicate /home accounts in Mandriva 2008.1 - What gives??? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Duplicate /home accounts in Mandriva 2008.1 - What gives??? - Mandriva ; Looking in my file manager, I just noticed that I have two directories in my /home. I have /home/al and /home/guest. The contents of both are identical! Can I safely delete the /home/guest folder to conserve disk space? How did ...

  1. Duplicate /home accounts in Mandriva 2008.1 - What gives???

    Looking in my file manager, I just noticed that I have two directories in
    my /home. I have /home/al and /home/guest.
    The contents of both are identical!

    Can I safely delete the /home/guest folder to conserve disk space? How
    did it get there in the first place? Does this mean that /home/al is
    actually the /home/root folder?

    I am the sole user of this machine.

    Output of ls -l /home
    total 20
    drwx--x--x 37 al al 4096 2008-04-26 09:56 al/
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 2008-04-20 18:55 guest -> /home/al/
    drwx------ 2 root root 16384 2008-04-20 18:43 lost+found/

    I did install from the Mandrive One LiveCD...and it was a GREAT
    experience. Everything works as it should, all hardware was recognized
    the networking was flawless, the urpmi updates and mirrors performed as
    they should. All in all...I am a satisfied customer.

    Am I running my system al with root privileges? This is dangerous, no?

    No "guest" account users show up in MCC Userdrake only the "al" account
    in the list.

    This is confusing?

    alBERT

  2. Re: Duplicate /home accounts in Mandriva 2008.1 - What gives???

    On 26 Apr 2008 18:55:57 GMT, Al wrote:
    > Looking in my file manager, I just noticed that I have two directories in
    > my /home. I have /home/al and /home/guest.
    > The contents of both are identical!

    Looking at your ls output it does not surprise me.

    > Can I safely delete the /home/guest folder to conserve disk space?

    Sure, you "Can I safely delete the /home/guest folder to conserve disk space"

    Downside is you loose all of /home/al's files depending on how you go
    about deleting the "/home/guest folder" . :-(

    > How did it get there in the first place?

    I have to guess you created a link there.

    > Does this mean that /home/al is actually the /home/root folder?

    No, you did a ls /home and al is in /home not /nome/root.

    > I am the sole user of this machine.

    Now we know who did it.

    > Output of ls -l /home
    > total 20
    > drwx--x--x 37 al al 4096 2008-04-26 09:56 al/
    > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 2008-04-20 18:55 guest -> /home/al/

    See that little pointy thing. "->", that indicates a soft link,

    To git rid of it, a rm /home/guest should prompt to delete link (y.n)
    answer with a y

    > Am I running my system al with root privileges?

    How sad. My user accounts never have root privileges.
    If I need to do root work, click up a terminal
    su - root

    mcc for Mandriva Control Center
    or run any command needing root privs.

    exit to close root login
    exit to close terminal

    > This is dangerous, no?

    This is dangerous, YES.

    > No "guest" account users show up in MCC Userdrake only the "al" account
    > in the list.

    I see no problem here.

    > This is confusing?

    You can have directories in /home without them being in seen in Userdrake.

  3. Re: Duplicate /home accounts in Mandriva 2008.1 - What gives???

    Al wrote:

    > Looking in my file manager, I just noticed that I have two directories in
    > my /home. I have /home/al and /home/guest.
    > The contents of both are identical!
    >
    > Can I safely delete the /home/guest folder to conserve disk space? How
    > did it get there in the first place? Does this mean that /home/al is
    > actually the /home/root folder?
    >
    > I am the sole user of this machine.
    >
    > Output of ls -l /home
    > total 20
    > drwx--x--x 37 al al 4096 2008-04-26 09:56 al/
    > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 2008-04-20 18:55 guest -> /home/al/

    The "al" data is real, "guest" is a symbolic link to that.
    Guest, however, won't be able to use it because he has nor read (r) neither
    write (w) permissions to the "al" directory.
    Ownership of a symlink is rather irrelevant, you are "al" and not root.
    However, no clue who/which program created the guest symlink.

    > drwx------ 2 root root 16384 2008-04-20 18:43 lost+found/

    That's a directory for results of "linux chkdsk" (fsck will put orphaned
    files here).

    > I did install from the Mandrive One LiveCD...and it was a GREAT
    > experience. Everything works as it should, all hardware was recognized
    > the networking was flawless, the urpmi updates and mirrors performed as
    > they should. All in all...I am a satisfied customer.
    >
    > Am I running my system al with root privileges? This is dangerous, no?
    >
    > No "guest" account users show up in MCC Userdrake only the "al" account
    > in the list.
    >
    > This is confusing?

    Yes. Maybe some (dirty?) workaround for livecd that got transferred to the
    installed version as well, "by accident".
    You won't be able to activate the guest account due to a unreadable home,
    unless you or a script removes the symlink and replaces it with a real
    directory with correct permissions.
    Linux 2.6.24. [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

+ Reply to Thread