Lost update applet - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Lost update applet - Mandriva ; For some reason unknown to me the update icon applet has disappeared. I can bring it up if I start usr/bin/mdkapplet but when I reboot it's gone again. Any ideas how to keep this running? Thanks -- "You can lead ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Lost update applet

  1. Lost update applet

    For some reason unknown to me the update icon applet has disappeared. I can
    bring it up if I start usr/bin/mdkapplet but when I reboot it's gone again.
    Any ideas how to keep this running?

    Thanks
    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  2. Re: Lost update applet

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 11:56:41 -0400, evodawg wrote:

    > For some reason unknown to me the update icon applet has disappeared. I can


    Check ~/.MdkOnline/mdkonline and ensure it has
    AUTOSTART=TRUE

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  3. Re: Lost update applet

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 15:56:41 GMT, evodawg wrote:
    > For some reason unknown to me the update icon applet has disappeared. I can
    > bring it up if I start usr/bin/mdkapplet but when I reboot it's gone again.
    > Any ideas how to keep this running?


    Depends.
    You may want to at least add one more line to your
    ..signature file containing some minimal information something like

    running 2008.1-free-i586
    running 2008.1-free-x86_64
    running 2008.1-GNOME-One-i586
    running 2008.1-GNOME-One-x86_64
    running 2008.1-KDE-One-i586
    running 2008.1-KDE-One-x86_64


  4. Re: Lost update applet

    evodawg wrote:

    > For some reason unknown to me the update icon applet has
    > disappeared. I can bring it up if I start usr/bin/mdkapplet but
    > when I reboot it's gone again. Any ideas how to keep this
    > running?
    >
    > Thanks

    If running 2008 Spring (i.e. 2008.1 - the newest release) then
    the applet only shows if there are updates available. A
    new 'feature' apparently.

    Syd

  5. Re: Lost update applet

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 15:56:41 GMT, evodawg wrote:
    >> For some reason unknown to me the update icon applet has disappeared. I
    >> can bring it up if I start usr/bin/mdkapplet but when I reboot it's gone
    >> again. Any ideas how to keep this running?

    >
    > Depends.
    > You may want to at least add one more line to your
    > .signature file containing some minimal information something like
    >
    > running 2008.1-free-i586
    > running 2008.1-free-x86_64
    > running 2008.1-GNOME-One-i586
    > running 2008.1-GNOME-One-x86_64
    > running 2008.1-KDE-One-i586
    > running 2008.1-KDE-One-x86_64


    2.6.22.18-desktop586-1mdv
    KDE running 2008


    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  6. Re: Lost update applet

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 11:56:41 -0400, evodawg wrote:
    >
    >> For some reason unknown to me the update icon applet has disappeared. I
    >> can

    >
    > Check ~/.MdkOnline/mdkonline and ensure it has
    > AUTOSTART=TRUE
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >

    I have nothing in that directory.
    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  7. Re: Lost update applet

    Syd wrote:

    > evodawg wrote:
    >
    >> For some reason unknown to me the update icon applet has
    >> disappeared. I can bring it up if I start usr/bin/mdkapplet but
    >> when I reboot it's gone again. Any ideas how to keep this
    >> running?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > If running 2008 Spring (i.e. 2008.1 - the newest release) then
    > the applet only shows if there are updates available. A
    > new 'feature' apparently.
    >
    > Syd

    Don't think that's the problem, because when I start it from
    usr/bin/mdkapplet it has updated. So if that was the case it should have
    shown up.
    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  8. Re: Lost update applet

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 17:43:34 GMT, evodawg wrote:


    > 2.6.22.18-desktop586-1mdv
    > KDE running 2008


    Ok, I'll guess 2008.0

    You may want to look through the bugs already reported
    in the link I provided Syd in post.


  9. Re: Lost update applet

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 15:56:41 GMT, evodawg wrote:
    >> For some reason unknown to me the update icon applet has disappeared. I
    >> can bring it up if I start usr/bin/mdkapplet but when I reboot it's gone
    >> again. Any ideas how to keep this running?

    >
    > Depends.
    > You may want to at least add one more line to your
    > .signature file containing some minimal information something like
    >
    > running 2008.1-free-i586
    > running 2008.1-free-x86_64
    > running 2008.1-GNOME-One-i586
    > running 2008.1-GNOME-One-x86_64
    > running 2008.1-KDE-One-i586
    > running 2008.1-KDE-One-x86_64

    Is that better????
    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"
    Linux 2.6.22.18-desktop586-1mdv
    KDE 3.5 mdv 2008

  10. Re: Lost update applet

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 17:57:05 GMT, evodawg wrote:

    Or maybe
    Running Mandriva release 2008.0 free-i586 using KDE on i586

    Mandriva for just in case you post a question in a non-mandriva group.

    2008.0 so there is no question, free-i586 so we know it is not a ONE
    and i586 might tell non-mandriva useres it is a 32 bit install.

    Downside to plugging in kernel/KDE revision level is you will need to
    update .sig when they change.



    My other Syd reply appeared to fail. So here it is.

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 18:30:57 +0100, Syd wrote:

    > If running 2008 Spring (i.e. 2008.1 - the newest release) then
    > the applet only shows if there are updates available. A
    > new 'feature' apparently.


    Yes, it is a new feature and does depend on what release you are running.
    Downside is you cannot trust it.

    On my 2008.1 free-i586 clean install, I watched it run twice without
    telling about updates.

    I you look around here
    https://qa.mandriva.com/buglist.cgi?...arch=mdkapplet
    you will see it has it's growing pains/problems on both 2008.0 and .1.

  11. Re: Lost update applet

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > I you look around here
    > https://qa.mandriva.com/buglist.cgi?...arch=mdkapplet
    > you will see it has it's growing pains/problems on both 2008.0 and .1.


    From what I take from this bug it has not been resolved. Is that correct?

    and thanks for the link and info.

    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"
    Running Mandriva release 2008.0 free-i586 using KDE on i586

  12. Re: Lost update applet

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 18:42:52 GMT, evodawg wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> I you look around here
    >> https://qa.mandriva.com/buglist.cgi?...arch=mdkapplet
    >> you will see it has it's growing pains/problems on both 2008.0 and .1.

    >
    > From what I take from this bug it has not been resolved. Is that correct?


    Yep, There is a column called "Status" to see where it is parked at
    the moment. :-8

    > and thanks for the link and info.


    Never hurts to see what is going on. Sometime before 6pm, my time, I try to
    remember to go to
    https://qa.mandriva.com/index.cgi
    Click View bugs reported today

    If I forget, it is not much of an effort to click, Edit Search,
    and enter a date in the "Only bugs changed between: " box in the
    Bug Changes square and see a few days or a week back in time.

  13. Re: Lost update applet

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 18:42:52 GMT, evodawg wrote:
    >> Bit Twister wrote:
    >>
    >>> I you look around here
    >>> https://qa.mandriva.com/buglist.cgi?...arch=mdkapplet
    >>> you will see it has it's growing pains/problems on both 2008.0 and .1.

    >>
    >> From what I take from this bug it has not been resolved. Is that correct?

    >
    > Yep, There is a column called "Status" to see where it is parked at
    > the moment. :-8
    >
    >> and thanks for the link and info.

    >
    > Never hurts to see what is going on. Sometime before 6pm, my time, I try
    > to remember to go to
    > https://qa.mandriva.com/index.cgi
    > Click View bugs reported today
    >
    > If I forget, it is not much of an effort to click, Edit Search,
    > and enter a date in the "Only bugs changed between: " box in the
    > Bug Changes square and see a few days or a week back in time.


    wow lot of bugs for just one day. Can't imagine going through that list if
    you wait a couple of days of viewing.
    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"
    Running Mandriva release 2008.0 free-i586 using KDE on i586

  14. Re: Lost update applet

    evodawg wrote:
    > Syd wrote:
    >
    >> evodawg wrote:
    >>
    >>> For some reason unknown to me the update icon applet has
    >>> disappeared. I can bring it up if I start usr/bin/mdkapplet but
    >>> when I reboot it's gone again. Any ideas how to keep this
    >>> running?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> If running 2008 Spring (i.e. 2008.1 - the newest release) then
    >> the applet only shows if there are updates available. A
    >> new 'feature' apparently.
    >>
    >> Syd

    > Don't think that's the problem, because when I start it from
    > usr/bin/mdkapplet it has updated. So if that was the case it should have
    > shown up.


    Depends on how soon after launching KDE before updating.
    In 2008.1rc2, it waited a few minutes to allow other stuff
    to load on the desktop before it ran. Then, and only then,
    would it check for updates.

    So I could log in, do my command line stuff, load the desktop,
    do a few things, load mcc and check for updates, and see the
    update icon appear while I was witing for mcc to get its
    update act together.

    It had another annoying habit, in that if the update icon
    was clicked to do the updates, it would take my _user_
    password and update as if I were root. Not a big deal, as
    I am the only one on the system that would do such a thing,
    but an irritant nonetheless. Shades of windoze insecurities...

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  15. Re: Lost update applet

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > It had another annoying habit, in that if the update icon
    > was clicked to do the updates, it would take my _user_
    > password and update as if I were root. Not a big deal, as
    > I am the only one on the system that would do such a thing,
    > but an irritant nonetheless. Shades of windoze insecurities...


    One of the things I like very much about Gentoo is that you can have Portage
    do the downloading and compiling/building as an unprivileged user, and
    after that it uses its root privileges to install the newly built software
    in place.

    It is however possible to circumvent that, but who would want that? ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  16. Re: Lost update applet

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 20:06:33 -0400, Jim Beard wrote:

    > was clicked to do the updates, it would take my _user_
    > password and update as if I were root. Not a big deal, as


    Run mcc, select Security, then Set up security level and audit.
    Click on the Authentication tab, and change the setting for
    running Mandriva Update from User password, to Root password.

    There are a few tools listed there, where the default is now
    to allow users to run the tools.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  17. Re: Lost update applet

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 17:57:05 GMT, evodawg wrote:
    >
    > Or maybe
    > Running Mandriva release 2008.0 free-i586 using KDE on i586
    >
    > Mandriva for just in case you post a question in a non-mandriva
    > group.
    >
    > 2008.0 so there is no question, free-i586 so we know it is not
    > a ONE and i586 might tell non-mandriva useres it is a 32 bit
    > install.
    >
    > Downside to plugging in kernel/KDE revision level is you will
    > need to
    > update .sig when they change.
    >
    >
    >
    > My other Syd reply appeared to fail. So here it is.
    >
    > On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 18:30:57 +0100, Syd wrote:
    >
    >> If running 2008 Spring (i.e. 2008.1 - the newest release) then
    >> the applet only shows if there are updates available. A
    >> new 'feature' apparently.

    >
    > Yes, it is a new feature and does depend on what release you
    > are running.
    > Downside is you cannot trust it.
    >
    > On my 2008.1 free-i586 clean install, I watched it run twice
    > without telling about updates.
    >
    > I you look around here
    > https://qa.mandriva.com/buglist.cgi?...arch=mdkapplet
    > you will see it has it's growing pains/problems on both 2008.0
    > and .1.


    Thanks for the info. Pity if Mandriva has done a "It ain't broke
    so let's fix it" with the updater applet. After a lot of
    problems in earlier releases, it seemed to be working very well
    in 2008.0.

    Never mind - I will simply continue to use 'urpmi --auto-update'
    daily. Last time the applet appeared I unchecked the option to
    start the it automatically (right click to get options).

    Regards
    Syd

  18. Re: Lost update applet

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > evodawg wrote:
    >> Syd wrote:
    >>
    >>> evodawg wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> For some reason unknown to me the update icon applet has
    >>>> disappeared. I can bring it up if I start usr/bin/mdkapplet but
    >>>> when I reboot it's gone again. Any ideas how to keep this
    >>>> running?
    >>>>
    >>>> Thanks
    >>> If running 2008 Spring (i.e. 2008.1 - the newest release) then
    >>> the applet only shows if there are updates available. A
    >>> new 'feature' apparently.
    >>>
    >>> Syd

    >> Don't think that's the problem, because when I start it from
    >> usr/bin/mdkapplet it has updated. So if that was the case it should have
    >> shown up.

    >
    > Depends on how soon after launching KDE before updating.
    > In 2008.1rc2, it waited a few minutes to allow other stuff
    > to load on the desktop before it ran. Then, and only then,
    > would it check for updates.


    matter of fact I changed the setting for starting to a longer wait so not to
    collide with other programs loading.

    /usr/bin/mdkapplet

    my %config = getVarsFromSh('/etc/sysconfig/mdkapplet');
    $config{UPDATE_FREQUENCY} ||= 3*60*60; # default to 3hours
    $config{FIRST_CHECK_DELAY} ||= 600 * 1000; # default to 25 seconds <-----


    It's still not working right so I just use the
    urpmi --auto-update --auto when I remember.

    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"
    Running Mandriva release 2008.0 free-i586 using KDE on i586

  19. Re: Lost update applet

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 13:48:48 GMT, evodawg wrote:
    >> Depends on how soon after launching KDE before updating.
    >> In 2008.1rc2, it waited a few minutes to allow other stuff
    >> to load on the desktop before it ran. Then, and only then,
    >> would it check for updates.

    >
    > matter of fact I changed the setting for starting to a longer wait so not to
    > collide with other programs loading.
    >
    > /usr/bin/mdkapplet
    >
    > my %config = getVarsFromSh('/etc/sysconfig/mdkapplet');
    > $config{UPDATE_FREQUENCY} ||= 3*60*60; # default to 3hours
    > $config{FIRST_CHECK_DELAY} ||= 600 * 1000; # default to 25 seconds <-----


    Check it out, 2008.1 Official, they did fix the code and you place
    your changes in the config file where they belong.

    See contents of /etc/sysconfig/mdkapplet

    In my post install script which does system changes, I have
    if [ ! -e /etc/sysconfig/mdkapplet_orig ] ; then
    mv /etc/sysconfig/mdkapplet /etc/sysconfig/mdkapplet_orig
    ln -s /local/bin/mdkapplet /etc/sysconfig/mdkapplet
    fi

    My mdkapplet config file has
    $ cat /local/bin/mdkapplet
    #************************************************* ************************
    #
    # /usr/bin/mdkapplet config file
    #
    # UPDATE_FREQUENCY=nnnn
    # FIRST_CHECK_DELAY=ffff
    #
    # nnnn = number of seconds (28800 is 8hr * 60min * 60sec)
    # ffff = number of seconds times 1000 (600000 is 6min * 60sec * 1000)
    #
    #
    # Install: ln -s /local/bin/mdkapplet /etc/sysconfig/mdkapplet
    #
    #
    #************************************************* ************************


    UPDATE_FREQUENCY=28800
    FIRST_CHECK_DELAY=600000

    #************* end mdkapplet ********************************************


  20. Re: Lost update applet

    evodawg wrote:
    > I just use the urpmi --auto-update --auto when I remember.


    There is an announce-only email list for security updates:

    http://www.mandriva.com/en/community/start

+ Reply to Thread