virtual box issues - Mandriva

This is a discussion on virtual box issues - Mandriva ; I installed Virtual Box from their website on my computer and I am getting this message when I try to make an image My user is already in the vboxusers group and they /dev/vboxdrv has permissions. Not sure what else ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: virtual box issues

  1. virtual box issues

    I installed Virtual Box from their website on my computer and I am
    getting this message when I try to make an image

    My user is already in the vboxusers group and they /dev/vboxdrv has
    permissions.

    Not sure what else to do here. I already tried the virtual box in the
    repository and that wouldn't work either so they suggested I try the one
    from Innotek and still same issue.

    Jeanette



    The VirtualBox kernel driver is not accessible to the current user. Make
    sure that the user has write permissions for /dev/vboxdrv by adding them
    to the vboxusers groups. You will need to logout for the change to take
    effect..
    VBox status code: -1909 (VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_ACCESSIBLE).


    Result Code:
    0x80004005
    Component:
    Console
    Interface:
    IConsole {1dea5c4b-0753-4193-b909-22330f64ec45}


  2. Re: virtual box issues

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 14:00:58 -0400, news.west.cox.net wrote:

    > My user is already in the vboxusers group and they /dev/vboxdrv has
    > permissions.


    Have you logged out/in since adding the user to the group? Group changes
    require that, to take effect.

    > The VirtualBox kernel driver is not accessible to the current user. Make


    Has the kernel module been loaded? Check it with "lsmod |grep vb", as root.

    Is the /dev/vboxdrv owned by the group vboxusers?
    "ls -l /dev/vboxdrv" should show something like
    crw-rw---- 1 root vboxusers 10, 61 2008-04-23 15:17 /dev/vboxdrv

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  3. Re: virtual box issues

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 14:00:58 -0400, news.west.cox.net wrote:
    >
    >> My user is already in the vboxusers group and they /dev/vboxdrv has
    >> permissions.

    >
    > Have you logged out/in since adding the user to the group? Group changes
    > require that, to take effect.


    Yes but the error remains.

    >
    >> The VirtualBox kernel driver is not accessible to the current user. Make

    >
    > Has the kernel module been loaded? Check it with "lsmod |grep vb", as root.


    Yes the kernel module is loaded.


    >
    > Is the /dev/vboxdrv owned by the group vboxusers?
    > "ls -l /dev/vboxdrv" should show something like
    > crw-rw---- 1 root vboxusers 10, 61 2008-04-23 15:17 /dev/vboxdrv


    This is what it shows, but the error remains.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins


    Anyone have any other ideas?

    Thanks

    Jeanette

    >


  4. Re: virtual box issues

    Jeanette wrote:

    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 14:00:58 -0400, news.west.cox.net
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> My user is already in the vboxusers group and they /dev/vboxdrv has
    >>> permissions.

    >>
    >> Have you logged out/in since adding the user to the group? Group changes
    >> require that, to take effect.

    >
    > Yes but the error remains.
    >
    >>> The VirtualBox kernel driver is not accessible to the current user. Make

    >>
    >> Has the kernel module been loaded? Check it with "lsmod |grep vb", as
    >> root.

    >
    > Yes the kernel module is loaded.
    >
    >> Is the /dev/vboxdrv owned by the group vboxusers?
    >> "ls -l /dev/vboxdrv" should show something like
    >> crw-rw---- 1 root vboxusers 10, 61 2008-04-23 15:17 /dev/vboxdrv

    >
    > This is what it shows, but the error remains.
    > Anyone have any other ideas?


    Did you by any chance happen to delete the /vboxusers/ group and recreate it
    anew later? It's just that I'm thinking that there is a chance - if you
    had indeed created the group, deleted it and created it again - that the
    group ID (GID) of the group /vboxusers/ no longer matches that of
    the /vboxusers/ group that has write permission to the file.

    In a perfect world, this kind of thing shouldn't happen. But it's not a
    perfect world, and I have already seen such things occur in the past.

    Just my 2 Eurocents, but hey, that's already over 3 US Dollarcents... ;-)

    --
    Aragorn
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  5. Re: virtual box issues

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 11:41:14 -0400, Jeanette wrote:

    > Anyone have any other ideas?


    Which version of VirtualBox did you install? I have
    VirtualBox-1.5.6_28266_mdv2008.0-1.i586.rpm installed, and it's
    working fine.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  6. Re: virtual box issues

    Aragorn wrote:
    > Jeanette wrote:
    >
    >> David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 14:00:58 -0400, news.west.cox.net
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> My user is already in the vboxusers group and they /dev/vboxdrv has
    >>>> permissions.
    >>> Have you logged out/in since adding the user to the group? Group changes
    >>> require that, to take effect.

    >> Yes but the error remains.
    >>
    >>>> The VirtualBox kernel driver is not accessible to the current user. Make
    >>> Has the kernel module been loaded? Check it with "lsmod |grep vb", as
    >>> root.

    >> Yes the kernel module is loaded.
    >>
    >>> Is the /dev/vboxdrv owned by the group vboxusers?
    >>> "ls -l /dev/vboxdrv" should show something like
    >>> crw-rw---- 1 root vboxusers 10, 61 2008-04-23 15:17 /dev/vboxdrv

    >> This is what it shows, but the error remains.
    >> Anyone have any other ideas?

    >
    > Did you by any chance happen to delete the /vboxusers/ group and recreate it
    > anew later? It's just that I'm thinking that there is a chance - if you
    > had indeed created the group, deleted it and created it again - that the
    > group ID (GID) of the group /vboxusers/ no longer matches that of
    > the /vboxusers/ group that has write permission to the file.
    >
    > In a perfect world, this kind of thing shouldn't happen. But it's not a
    > perfect world, and I have already seen such things occur in the past.
    >
    > Just my 2 Eurocents, but hey, that's already over 3 US Dollarcents... ;-)
    >


    Yes I was thinking this was worth a try.
    Jeanette

  7. Re: virtual box issues

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 11:41:14 -0400, Jeanette wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone have any other ideas?

    >
    > Which version of VirtualBox did you install? I have
    > VirtualBox-1.5.6_28266_mdv2008.0-1.i586.rpm installed, and it's
    > working fine.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >


    This is the version I have installed now also. But previously I had the
    one in the Mandriva repos but when that didn't work they suggested I try
    the one from Virtual box that was not the OSE.

  8. Re: virtual box issues

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 12:56:20 -0400, Jeanette wrote:

    > This is the version I have installed now also. But previously I had the


    Is the error showing when you start VirtualBox, or when you try to start
    the vm within it?

    Try running "strace -f -F -v -odebug.txt VirtualBox" far enough to recreate
    the error, then exit. Check the output shown by "grep vboxdrv debug.txt",
    to see exactly what error message VirtualBox is getting from the system.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  9. Re: virtual box issues

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 12:56:20 -0400, Jeanette wrote:
    >
    >> This is the version I have installed now also. But previously I had the

    >
    > Is the error showing when you start VirtualBox, or when you try to start
    > the vm within it?
    >
    > Try running "strace -f -F -v -odebug.txt VirtualBox" far enough to recreate
    > the error, then exit. Check the output shown by "grep vboxdrv debug.txt",
    > to see exactly what error message VirtualBox is getting from the system.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >

    I am not sure what it means but this is the part that seams to indicate
    the issue

    30997 stat64("/dev/vboxdrv", {st_dev=makedev(0, 14), st_ino=14182,
    st_mode=S_IFC HR|0660,
    st_nlink=1, st_uid=0, st_gid=502, st_size=makedev(0, 0), st_atime=2008/
    04/26-09:30:13,
    st_mtime=2008/04/26-09:30:13, st_ctime=2008/04/26-09:30:13}) = 0
    30997 stat64("/dev/vboxdrv", {st_dev=makedev(0, 14), st_ino=14182,
    st_mode=S_IFC HR|0660,
    st_nlink=1, st_uid=0, st_gid=502, st_size=makedev(0, 0), st_atime=2008/
    04/26-09:30:13,
    st_mtime=2008/04/26-09:30:13, st_ctime=2008/04/26-09:30:13}) = 0
    30997 access("/dev/vboxdrv", W_OK) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
    31040 open("/dev/vboxdrv", O_RDWR|O_LARGEFILE
    31040 open("/dev/vboxdrv", O_RDWR|O_LARGEFILE
    31055 open("/dev/vboxdrv", O_RDWR|O_LARGEFILE
    31055 open("/dev/vboxdrv", O_RDWR|O_LARGEFILE

  10. Re: virtual box issues

    On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 12:28:56 -0400, Jeanette wrote:

    > 30997 access("/dev/vboxdrv", W_OK) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)


    Rules out VirtualBox giving an incorrect error message.

    Please post the output of
    grep vbox /etc/groups (has to be run as root),
    ls -l /dev/vboxdrv
    and ls -ld /dev

    The output should be similar to ...
    grep vbox /etc/group
    vboxusers:x:501:dave
    [root@hodgins ~]# ls -l /dev/vboxdrv
    crw-rw---- 1 root vboxusers 10, 61 2008-04-26 19:36 /dev/vboxdrv
    [root@hodgins ~]# ls -ld /dev
    drwxr-xr-x 18 root root 15620 2008-04-27 04:02 /dev/

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  11. Re: virtual box issues

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 12:28:56 -0400, Jeanette wrote:
    >
    >> 30997 access("/dev/vboxdrv", W_OK) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)

    >
    > Rules out VirtualBox giving an incorrect error message.
    >
    > Please post the output of
    > grep vbox /etc/groups (has to be run as root),


    [root@localhost russoje]# grep vbox /etc/groups
    grep: /etc/groups: No such file or directory

    > ls -l /dev/vboxdrv

    ls -l /dev/vboxdrv
    crw-rw---- 1 root vboxusers 10, 61 2008-04-26 09:30 /dev/vboxdrv


    > and ls -ld /dev


    ls -ld /dev
    drwxr-xr-x 17 root root 14900 2008-04-27 04:02 /dev/



    >
    > The output should be similar to ...
    > grep vbox /etc/group
    > vboxusers:x:501:dave
    > [root@hodgins ~]# ls -l /dev/vboxdrv
    > crw-rw---- 1 root vboxusers 10, 61 2008-04-26 19:36 /dev/vboxdrv
    > [root@hodgins ~]# ls -ld /dev
    > drwxr-xr-x 18 root root 15620 2008-04-27 04:02 /dev/
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >


  12. Re: virtual box issues

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 12:56:43 -0400, Jeanette wrote:

    > [root@localhost russoje]# grep vbox /etc/groups
    > grep: /etc/groups: No such file or directory


    Sorry, typo on my part. That should have been
    grep vbox /etc/group

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  13. Re: virtual box issues

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 12:56:43 -0400, Jeanette wrote:
    >
    >> [root@localhost russoje]# grep vbox /etc/groups
    >> grep: /etc/groups: No such file or directory

    >
    > Sorry, typo on my part. That should have been
    > grep vbox /etc/group
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >

    Thanks Dave,

    grep vbox /etc/group
    vboxusers:x:502:

    Jeanette

  14. Re: virtual box issues

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 13:09:06 -0400, Jeanette wrote:

    > grep vbox /etc/group
    > vboxusers:x:502:


    Compare that to mine ...
    grep vbox /etc/group
    vboxusers:x:501:dave

    Mine shows that my id has been added to the group. In yours, the group
    does not have any user ids, in the group.

    Run userdrake (as root), double click on your id, select the groups tab
    and put a checkmark beside the vboxusers group. Click ok, close userdrake,
    and then logout (completely), and then log back in. Try Virtualbox again.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  15. Re: virtual box issues

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 13:09:06 -0400, Jeanette wrote:
    >
    >> grep vbox /etc/group
    >> vboxusers:x:502:

    >
    > Compare that to mine ...
    > grep vbox /etc/group
    > vboxusers:x:501:dave
    >
    > Mine shows that my id has been added to the group. In yours, the group
    > does not have any user ids, in the group.
    >
    > Run userdrake (as root), double click on your id, select the groups tab
    > and put a checkmark beside the vboxusers group. Click ok, close userdrake,
    > and then logout (completely), and then log back in. Try Virtualbox again.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >


    When I open userdrake under the groups tab it shows me in the group
    vboxusers 502

  16. Re: virtual box issues

    Jeanette wrote:
    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 13:09:06 -0400, Jeanette wrote:
    >>
    >>> grep vbox /etc/group
    >>> vboxusers:x:502:

    >>
    >> Compare that to mine ...
    >> grep vbox /etc/group
    >> vboxusers:x:501:dave
    >>
    >> Mine shows that my id has been added to the group. In yours, the group
    >> does not have any user ids, in the group.
    >>
    >> Run userdrake (as root), double click on your id, select the groups tab
    >> and put a checkmark beside the vboxusers group. Click ok, close
    >> userdrake,
    >> and then logout (completely), and then log back in. Try Virtualbox again.
    >>
    >> Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >>

    >
    > When I open userdrake under the groups tab it shows me in the group
    > vboxusers 502


    Ok I just removed myself from the group and re added it and it seems to
    work, Now I just have to remember how to add xp to it

  17. Re: virtual box issues

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:21:42 -0400, Jeanette wrote:

    > When I open userdrake under the groups tab it shows me in the group
    > vboxusers 502


    Checking by running userdrake under strace, it looks like userdrake is
    getting the list of groups/users from /etc/gshadow, rather then /etc/group.
    Some how the /etc/group and /etc/gshadow files have become out of sync.

    As root run pwconv and grpconv to recreate the password and group shadow
    files, from the source files, then run userdrake to add your id to the
    vboxusers group.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  18. Re: virtual box issues

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:21:42 -0400, Jeanette wrote:
    >
    >> When I open userdrake under the groups tab it shows me in the group
    >> vboxusers 502

    >
    > Checking by running userdrake under strace, it looks like userdrake is
    > getting the list of groups/users from /etc/gshadow, rather then /etc/group.
    > Some how the /etc/group and /etc/gshadow files have become out of sync.
    >
    > As root run pwconv and grpconv to recreate the password and group shadow
    > files, from the source files, then run userdrake to add your id to the
    > vboxusers group.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >


    Thanks for the help Dave that seems to have been the issue. Thanks for
    taking the time.

    Jeanette

+ Reply to Thread