SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1 - Mandriva ; On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 01:47:38 GMT, Frank Dreyfus wrote: Hey, Frank remove the spaces and comments from /etc/sysconfig/network so it looks something like: NETWORKING_IPV6=no NETWORKING=yes NEEDHOSTNAME=no HOSTNAME=server.invalid NOZEROCONF=yes I was dinking with a nic to change it to dynamic ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 72 of 72

  1. Re: SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 01:47:38 GMT, Frank Dreyfus wrote:

    Hey, Frank remove the spaces and comments from /etc/sysconfig/network
    so it looks something like:
    NETWORKING_IPV6=no
    NETWORKING=yes
    NEEDHOSTNAME=no
    HOSTNAME=server.invalid
    NOZEROCONF=yes

    I was dinking with a nic to change it to dynamic and found out MCC
    will strip comments, leave spaces, add quotes and you are hosed.

    Small snippet follows:

    NETWORKING_IPV6="no "
    NOZEROCONF="yes "

    Gotta love those GUI helper apps. :-(

  2. Re: SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 03:01:19 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 23:35:16 -0400, Frank Dreyfus wrote:
    >
    > From what I've found on google, the delay is probably being caused by

    All right, I am pretty sure I found a 30+ second delay fix.

    Frank needs to have sshd set On Boot instead of sshd-xinetd

    Another gotcha was I had clicked stop, changed to sshd-xinetd,
    did a putty test shot and had the delay.

    Went back into mcc, Unchecked sshd-xinetd, checked sshd On Boot,
    clicked Start, got the Ok msg. and putty failed with connection refused.

    WTF, did a service sshd restart, and putty popped right in.

    Frank, get into mcc,
    uncheck sshd-xinetd
    check On Boot besides sshd
    click Start on sshd
    quti mcc
    do a
    service sshd restart

    Now, try the putty test shot. If delay is gone, post a follow up with
    SOLUTION on the line to help someone using a search engine and follows
    your instructions.

    Remember to set /etc/hosts to something like
    127.0.0.1 server.urdom.us server localhost localhost.localdomain

    Remove spaces and comments from /etc/sysconfig/network

    I would leave the zero/ipv6/dns changes in the system.

    Now, maybe I can get some sleep.

  3. Re: SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1

    "David W. Hodgins" wrote in
    newsp.t95m4hx7a3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net:

    > Take a look at
    > http://archives.neohapsis.com/archiv...3-09/0055.html
    > and see if adding "PasswordAuthentication no" to sshd.config fixes
    > the delay problem.

    Hi David,

    I set PasswodAuthentication no.

    Still get the same long delay, but then can't login b/c I'm using
    passwords and not keys.

    My hunch is the problem is the reverse. Sshd is trying to autenticate
    via keys and when that fails after 20 to 30 seconds, it reverts to
    passwords.

    Is there any way to disable other authentication methods in order to test
    my hunch?

    Thanks,

    Frank

  4. Re: SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1

    "David W. Hodgins" wrote in
    newsp.t95m4hx7a3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net:

    Hi again,

    I tried setting both RSAAuthentication no, and PubkeyAuthentication no.

    It didn't help.

    I guess my hunch was wrong ;>).

    Thanks,

    Frank

  5. [SOLUTION} SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1

    Bit Twister wrote in

    > get into mcc,
    > uncheck sshd-xinetd
    > check On Boot besides sshd
    > click Start on sshd
    > quti mcc
    > do a
    > service sshd restart

    Hi Bit,

    It turned out I had BOTH sshd = on boot; and sshd-xinetd = Start when
    requested checked! Don't know how that happened but I didn't notice it
    till I got you post.

    Following your advice works!

    I tried stopping sshd and using xinetd and had the same old delay. So
    you were right way back when you said you thought xinetd might be the
    problem.

    It's odd though since I was always able to connect from another linux box
    w/o the delay. That let me to believe that xinetd would not be the
    issue.

    Many, many thanks! And get some sleep. ;>)

    Frank

  6. Re: [SOLUTION} SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 15:10:07 GMT, Frank Dreyfus wrote:

    > It's odd though since I was always able to connect from another linux box
    > w/o the delay. That let me to believe that xinetd would not be the
    > issue.

    When Micro$not is in the middle linux working and M$ does not,
    it does not surprise me.

    > Many, many thanks! And get some sleep. ;>)

    I did, a good solid 3 hours.

  7. Re: [SOLUTION} SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1

    Bit Twister wrote in

    > I did, a good solid 3 hours.

    I don't doubt it.

    That's above and beyond the call!

    Frank

  8. Re: SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1 SOLUTION

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 16:34:24 GMT, Frank Dreyfus wrote:

    > I don't doubt it.
    >
    > That's above and beyond the call!

    Guess you did not understand my request. :-(

    When you post with a SOLUTION, it helps to tell what you did and
    maybe the commands executed.
    That really helps the people using search engines get the commands and
    solution fairly quickly. Information and Solution follows:

    Seems running sshd-xinetd causes the 30 second delay on Mandriva Linux
    release 2008.1 when trying to connect from Microsoft OS using putty.

    Solution was to bring up the Mandriva Control Center (mcc)
    uncheck "Start upon request" besides sshd-xinetd
    and click "On Boot" besides sshd, click Start and quit mcc

    Then issue the command
    service sshd restart

    Putty should now connect in about a second.

  9. Re: SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1 SOLUTION

    Bit Twister wrote in

    > Guess you did not understand my request. :-(

    Hi Bit,

    I'm sending you an email. Assuming your address is correct.

    Frank

  10. Re: SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1 SOLUTION

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 21:37:02 GMT, Frank Dreyfus wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote in
    >
    >> Guess you did not understand my request. :-(

    > Hi Bit,
    >
    > I'm sending you an email. Assuming your address is correct.

    Define Correct.

    The domain, mouse-potato.com, is registered.
    It can be verified with the command
    whois mouse-potato.com

    bittwister is a valid user account on the system that mouse-potato.com
    resolves to, and does receive mail from the root account via the alias
    feature in postfix.

    What you need to do, is a
    ping -c 1 mouse-potato.com
    and pay close attention to the ip address.

  11. Re: SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1 SOLUTION

    Bit Twister wrote in

    > ping -c 1 mouse-potato.com

    Cute! ;>)

    So is it possible to contact you privately?

    Frank

  12. Re: SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 23:27:21 GMT, Frank Dreyfus wrote:

    > So is it possible to contact you privately?

    Yes, If you have a skype account, tell me, or give me
    your email address and I'll send you mine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4