SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1 - Mandriva ; On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 02:54:15 GMT, Frank Dreyfus wrote: > Bit Twister wrote in > news:slrng0uuen.qb9.BitTwister@wm81.home.test: >> >> Ok, there is DNS how unfortunate. >> You need to stop it, and disable On Boot. > > I guess I'm ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 72

  1. Re: SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 02:54:15 GMT, Frank Dreyfus wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote in
    >>
    >> Ok, there is DNS how unfortunate.
    >> You need to stop it, and disable On Boot.

    > I guess I'm confused on this issue. You want me to turn DNS off; but
    > won't that prevent me from finding other hosts (google.com, etc.)?

    my comment was under avahi-daemon

    I want you to stop avahi-daemon, and disable avahi-daemon on boot.

    > Yes but I can connect to other, < 2008.1 w/o a problem and I can connect
    > to this box from another linux box w/o a problem. So this doesn't
    > explain the long delay.

    I hear you. I understand you.
    My 2008.1 is not having a problem letting putty connect from doze, yours is.

    I suggested we change your box to match mine where possible and see
    what we can see.

    So far, it seems my gentle suggestions have been falling on deaf ears.
    Guessing you are making decisions about making my changes
    that you feel should not be causing the problem.

    You had your chance to find the problem and failed,
    then came here to solve the problem.
    I am hunting the problem the only way I know how.

    Basically, you have me trying to adjust your carburetor and set the
    timing on your engine through the tail pipe, and my fingers are
    starting to get tired. :-D

    > I guess I don't understand your problem with . You obviously
    > know that it's just a substitute for my real domain name.

    I think I do, I ASSuME so, but do I know so, NO, I WANTED PROOF.
    I asked you if you were worried to do a global change of
    ..yourdomain to .invalid if you still wanted to hide it.

    I do not want to go off looking in the weeds for something which may be
    laying in plain sight. :-(

    > I'm posting to a public forum and just don't want lurkers probing me.

    Do you mean probing 69.0.24.194.adsl.snet.net somewhere close to
    Middletown, Connecticut??

    Total waste of time if your security is going to be based on Obscurity. :-(

    >>> === cat /etc/sysconfig/network ====
    >>> NETWORKING_IPV6=no #speeds dns lookup
    >>> NETWORKING=yes
    >>> NEEDHOSTNAME=no #I'll use my own hostname
    >>> HOSTNAME=server.

    >> no NOZEROCONF=yes # no doze lookups needed
    >> line, mine has one.

    > Still not sure what zero config is all about but I do need to find doze
    > boxes on the LAN.

    Yet another display of resting making changes you do not understand
    and prevent me from troubleshooting the problem.

    Who is going to be milking this cow.

    >> Ok running dynamic interface, Danger is node can get differnt ip
    >> address than what is in /etc/hosts.
    >>

    > I use the router to fix the ip of each box on the LAN. That way I have
    > control over ip's in one place. The router does a good job of handing
    > out the same ip every time.

    Ok, fine. I'll try to workaround it.

    >> Hmmmm, I have more protection enabled.
    >>

    > Actually I have two firewalls. First is the router which only allows
    > specific incoming traffic like http and https.

    Yep, but crackers are now cracking boxes from inside running applications.
    That is why you have to, should, view your LAN doze boxes as if they
    are direct connections running on the Internet.

    >> and do check
    >> $ cat /etc/modprobe.conf
    >>
    >> install ipv6 /bin/true
    >> alias net-pf-10 off

    > I have the same last line as you but not install ipv6 /bin/true

    > Do I need that?

    Do I care, NO. Did I want that in the file, YES.

    > I seems more like it's starting ipv6, not preventing it.

    Does it matter, what are we doing here?
    What we are attempting to do is set your system like mine
    because mine works and yours does not.

    >> maybe avahi-daemon

    > I'll try that.

    That's nice.

    >> and making sshd start on boot not on demand
    >> will help.

    > Don't think that's an issue as discussed above.

    So, now you say I can only make adjustments using only one hand,
    the left hand, and only use the little finger and index finger. :-(

    > Bit, You've obviously put a tremendous amount of time into this. I want
    > you to know how very much I appreciate it!

    I have no problem working a problem, (read spending my time), with
    anyone who will work with me to solve their problm.

    What I do not like, is that person not doing what I want so I can do
    some fault isolation to quickly get to a resolution.

    Now, let's find out if I need to kill file the thread or
    keep on keeping on with trying to solve the problem.

    I want you to change
    /etc/nsswitch.conf

    From hosts: files nis dns
    to hosts: files dns nis

    I want /etc/sysconfig/network to have
    NOZEROCONF=yes

    I want avahi-daemon disabled on boot.

    I want /etc/modprobe.conf to contain these two lines.
    install ipv6 /bin/true
    alias net-pf-10 off

    I want a reboot when all changes are set as asked.

    Right after reboot, I want you to verify that
    ifconfig | grep $(hostname --ip-address)
    grep $(hostname --ip-address) /etc/hosts
    show the same inet address.

    Then tell me if putty connection fdreyfus@192.168.0.102
    is still slow. I assume you know to use the correct user account name.

    If still slow, I want you to run the dump command again.

    I see no reason to hide your domain name.
    BUT I want to know,
    Is the domain name registered as a valid domain owned by you?

    If the answer is NO, I WANT the dump results to be unmodified.
    If the answer is YES, then I want it substituted with invalid.

    I will assume you have put /etc/ssh/sshd_config back as it was
    after install.

  2. Re: SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 00:21:24 -0400, Bit Twister wrote:

    > You had your chance to find the problem and failed,

    Bit, please contact me via email, with an address that I can
    reply to. Thanks, Dave Hodgins

    Please email to dwhodgins @ ody.ca

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: [OT] SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 02:01:06 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > Please email to

    Should have been there by now.

  4. Re: SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1

    Bit Twister wrote in

    > Now, let's find out if I need to kill file the thread or
    > keep on keeping on with trying to solve the problem.

    Mia culpa.

    OK. I didn't understand where you were coming from. I was trying to
    impose some of my own thoughts regarding the differences you found.
    Didn't know you wanted EVERY change to be made.

    I'll do this; but I can't reboot during the day b/c my client is now
    using the system. I'll have to try all this at night.

    Please don't plonk me! ;>)

    Thanks,

    Frank

  5. Re: SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1

    Bit Twister wrote in

    Hi Bit,

    > I duhno, I am going to ask that you do answer anything which ends
    > with a question mark, OK?

    OK. That was a question mark so I'm answering ;>)

    > Oh, yeah, when we get back to working the problem, I would like to
    > know the ip address of the doze box on the LAN, or if the doze box
    > is not on the LAN.

    The ONLY way to get to the machine is via Hamachi.

    The ip is 192.168.0.102 but that and not even the WAN ip will help you
    connect.

    BTW, my ip and the ip where the box lives are both dynamic. I keep track
    of changes via a dynamic dns service.

    > So far I have a sinking feeling, I am not going to find the solution
    > to your problem.

    I tend to agree. So far, the changes you've asked for and which I WILL
    make don't seem very promising.

    > I will provide "a what to do next" when we hit that
    > wall.

    I appreciate that.

    Thanks,

    Frank

  6. Re: SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > I did not want to sound too demanding. I might get labeled
    > "must be great to be the only selfcented person around" by my peers.

    That guy was not your peer. ;-) If he were, then he wouldn't be acting so
    stupid and ****y when trying to get *us* to solve *his* problem. ;-)

    Anyway, he's on a 30-day retreit now, contemplating his behavior and dignity
    as a human being in my */dev/null.*

    > I duhno, I am going to ask that you do answer anything which ends
    > with a question mark, OK?

    Hint: you often _forget_ to put a question mark behind the question, so that
    may need fixing first...

    --
    Aragorn
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  7. Re: SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 20:02:18 GMT, Frank Dreyfus wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote in
    >
    > OK. That was a question mark so I'm answering ;>)

    By George, I think we might get along. :-8

    > The ONLY way to get to the machine is via Hamachi.
    >
    > The ip is 192.168.0.102 but that and not even the WAN ip will help you
    > connect.

    Ok, was beginning to believe doze box was outside LAN.

    > BTW, my ip and the ip where the box lives are both dynamic. I keep track
    > of changes via a dynamic dns service.

    Yes, but I am starting to lean towards a routing glitch
    and they will be needed to trouble shooting your network by a
    networking subject matter expert.

    > I tend to agree. So far, the changes you've asked for and which I WILL
    > make don't seem very promising.

    Oh, they seem to be benign enough, but have fixed problems in the past
    and like I indicated, my system is working with them.
    We need what is disabled for a benchmark for the next phase.

    >> I will provide "a what to do next" when we hit that wall.

    > I appreciate that.

    I will let you start thinking on that one.

    My recommendation will be a new thread with something like
    Subject: Some routing problem is causing 30+ second ssh delay

    That is worded to snag a Networking Wizard's attention.
    You will need to provide real ip address otherwise it will be a waste
    of the Wizard's time.

    If my next audit of your net dump is how I want it,
    we'll post a google link to the latest dump.

    I think a picture is worth a thousand words. So if you draw
    your network with at least the three players I have rung out of you so
    far, show names and ip/default gateway addresses, Just an example and
    you will have to rework it.

    .--------------------. .----------------.
    | N.N.N.1 | | N.N.N.2 | <--- PC's ip address
    | NODE1 linux 2008.0 | | NODE2 xp home |
    | g.g.g.1 | | g.g.g.2 | <--- PC's gateway ip address
    `--------------o-----' `--o-------------'
    e0 | .---'
    | |
    e0 v v e1
    .------+--------+-----.
    | R.R.G.G | <--- router/hub/switch gateway ip address
    | server linux 2008.1 | server/firewall,
    | R.R..I.P | <-- Router/hub/switch ip address
    `------o--------------'
    e2 |
    v e0
    .------+---------.
    | M.M..G.W | <--- your Modem's lan gateway/web ip address
    | your modem |
    | M.M.I.P | <--- your modem's ip address
    `------+---------'

    Here you will give what works and is broke, example

    node1 ssh fdreyfus@x.x.x.x works in 1 second.
    Latest putty installed on node2 ssh fdreyfus@x.x.x.x connection takes
    30+ seconds to get login prompt.

    Except for actual names and ip address, putty XP Home to linux 2008.1
    and not using Hamachi, works in about 1 second using the same settings
    on another poster's LAN.

    Some basic Server info

    # route -n
    results here
    # ifconfig -a
    results here

    Basic XP Home info

    ipconfig /all

    Full dump of server's networking files found at
    http----------

    PS:
    My PUTTY popup was about ringkey not in putty
    registry and click yes if you know it is known system.

  8. Re: [OT] SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 22:37:21 +0200, Aragorn wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:

    > Anyway, he's on a 30-day retreit now, contemplating his behavior and dignity
    > as a human being in my */dev/null.*

    No, he is not doing any contemplating except maybe gloating that he
    sure showed us.
    Seen him attempting to bait/insult another poster.

    Looking like David is going ahead and work with him to solve his
    problem so there is no reason for Chris be half way civil.

    >> I duhno, I am going to ask that you do answer anything which ends
    >> with a question mark, OK?

    > Hint: you often _forget_ to put a question mark behind the question, so that
    > may need fixing first...

    Heheh, I know what you are indicating. Most of the time I leave it off
    because it is a rhetorical question.
    I can agree, I'll forget I changed modes and forget the question mark.

  9. Re: [OT] SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1

    Bit Twister wrote in

    > No, he is not doing any contemplating except maybe gloating that he
    > sure showed us.
    > Seen him attempting to bait/insult another poster.

    Bit and Aragorn,

    Are you guys talking about me??? I've done zero baiting and I sure have
    not tried to be ****y.

    Maybe you're referring to someone else's post which I've missed. I donno.

    Frank

  10. Re: [OT] SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 21:45:11 GMT, Frank Dreyfus wrote:

    > Bit and Aragorn,
    >
    > Are you guys talking about me??? I've done zero baiting and I sure have
    > not tried to be ****y.

    Nope.

    > Maybe you're referring to someone else's post which I've missed. I donno.

    Shame on you, and here I thought you wanted to learn linux.

    Lots of my knowledge is from lurking in all threads for the little nugget of
    info which may come in handy.

  11. Re: [OT] SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1

    Frank Dreyfus wrote:

    > Bit Twister wrote in
    >
    >> No, he is not doing any contemplating except maybe gloating that he
    >> sure showed us.
    >> Seen him attempting to bait/insult another poster.

    > Bit and Aragorn,
    >
    > Are you guys talking about me??? I've done zero baiting and I sure have
    > not tried to be ****y.

    No, not at all! ;-) It was a reference to Bit Twister's literal copy/paste
    of a comment he got from another poster that Bit was trying to be helpful
    to and who chose to throw insults at him. This other poster has in the
    meantime been /killfiled/ over his rudeness by at least Robert M. Riches
    and myself, and possibly by others as well.

    > Maybe you're referring to someone else's post which I've missed. I donno.

    Let's see... The poster identifies in this
    newsgroup as "Chris Taylor" and is apparently residing in Australia. The
    pertaining thread was titled...

    "(Re upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200"

    (sic).

    A quick peek with my /killfile/ disengaged - well technically /KNode/
    doesn't use a /killfile;/ instead all posts on the groups you've subscribed
    to are downloaded, but you can use filter rules to add scores to a poster
    or a thread and hide posts with a specified score range from sight - shows
    that this Chris Taylor person is now also having a go at the poster known
    as "mister b", as Bit Twister wrote in the section you've quoted.

    --
    Aragorn
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  12. Re: SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1

    Bit Twister wrote in

    > I want you to change
    > /etc/nsswitch.conf
    >
    > From hosts: files nis dns
    > to hosts: files dns nis
    >
    > I want /etc/sysconfig/network to have
    > NOZEROCONF=yes
    >
    > I want avahi-daemon disabled on boot.
    >
    > I want /etc/modprobe.conf to contain these two lines.
    > install ipv6 /bin/true
    > alias net-pf-10 off
    >
    > I want a reboot when all changes are set as asked.
    >
    > Right after reboot, I want you to verify that
    > ifconfig | grep $(hostname --ip-address)
    > grep $(hostname --ip-address) /etc/hosts
    > show the same inet address.

    # ifconfig | grep $(hostname --ip-address)
    inet addr:192.168.0.102 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    [root@server ~]#

    # grep $(hostname --ip-address) /etc/hosts
    192.168.0.102 server.invalid

    > Then tell me if putty connection fdreyfus@192.168.0.102
    > is still slow. I assume you know to use the correct user account name.

    Yes. Still slow.

    > If still slow, I want you to run the dump command again.

    Below at the bottom.

    > I see no reason to hide your domain name.
    > BUT I want to know,
    > Is the domain name registered as a valid domain owned by you?

    Yes. It's a valid, registered domain.

    > If the answer is YES, then I want it substituted with invalid.
    >
    > I will assume you have put /etc/ssh/sshd_config back as it was
    > after install.

    Yes. Did that.

    You also asked for my LAN setup. It's very straightforward; I don't think
    a diagram is necessary. It goes like this:

    Internet <--> Cable modem <--> Router/switch <--> All the local hosts.

    All hosts have ip's of 192.168.0.x/24.

    When the box is in my office (which it was till yesterday) I can connect to
    it via it's ip (192.168.0.102) or via Hamachi.

    Now that it's at the client; I use only Hamachi. Same slow connection in
    both connection profiles.

    Thanks again for your help.

    Here's the dump...

    Thu Apr 24 21:19:25 EDT 2008
    === cat /etc/product.id ====
    vendor=Mandriva,distribution=Mandriva Linux,type=Basic,version=
    2008.1,branch=Devel,release=1,arch=i586,product=Po werpack
    ======== cat /etc/lsb-release ==========
    LSB_VERSION=lsb-3.1-ia32:lsb-3.1-noarch
    DISTRIB_ID=MandrivaLinux
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=2008.1
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=cambria
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Mandriva Linux 2008.1"
    ======== cat /etc/mandrakelinux-release ==========
    ======== cat /etc/mandrake-release ==========
    ======== cat /etc/mandriva-release ==========
    ======== cat /etc/redhat-release ==========
    ======== cat /etc/release ==========
    ======== uname -rvi =============
    2.6.24.4-desktop-1mnb #1 SMP Thu Mar 27 14:34:39 CET 2008 unknown
    ======== cat /etc/version ==========
    2008.1.0 0.11 cambria
    ======== lsb_release -a ==========
    LSB Version: lsb-3.1-ia32:lsb-3.1-noarch:*
    Distributor ID: MandrivaLinux
    Release: 2008.1
    Codename: cambria

    msec security level is 2

    model name : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.93GHz
    cpu MHz : 366.657

    === cat /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg ====
    {
    }

    Mandriva\ Linux\ -\ 2008.1\ (Powerpack)\ -\ Installer
    //var/ftp/pub/Mandrivalinux/media/main {
    key-ids: 70771ff3
    }

    Mandriva\ Linux\ -\ 2008.1\ (Powerpack)\ -\ Installer\ (contrib)
    //var/ftp/pub/Mandrivalinux/media/contrib {
    key-ids: 78d019f5
    }

    Mandriva\ Linux\ -\ 2008.1\ (Powerpack)\ -\ Installer\ (non-free)
    //var/ftp/pub/Mandrivalinux/media/non-free {
    key-ids: 70771ff3
    }

    Mandriva\ Linux\ -\ 2008.1\ (Powerpack)\ -\ Installer\ (restricted)
    //var/ftp/pub/Mandrivalinux/media/restricted {
    key-ids: 70771ff3
    }

    Updates\ for\ Mandriva\ Linux\ 2008.1
    ftp://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/dist...fficial/2008.1
    /i586/media/main/updates {
    key-ids: 22458a98
    update
    }

    Main
    rsync://carroll.cac.psu.edu/mandrakelinux/official/2008.1/i586/media/main/r
    elease {
    key-ids: 70771ff3
    }

    Main\ Updates
    rsync://carroll.cac.psu.edu/mandrakelinux/official/2008.1/i586/media/main/u
    pdates {
    key-ids: 22458a98
    update
    }

    Main\ Testing
    rsync://carroll.cac.psu.edu/mandrakelinux/official/2008.1/i586/media/main/t
    esting {
    ignore
    }

    Main\ Backports
    rsync://carroll.cac.psu.edu/mandrakelinux/official/2008.1/i586/media/main/b
    ackports {
    ignore
    }

    Contrib
    rsync://carroll.cac.psu.edu/mandrakelinux/official/2008.1/i586/media/contri
    b/release {
    key-ids: 78d019f5
    }

    Contrib\ Updates
    rsync://carroll.cac.psu.edu/mandrakelinux/official/2008.1/i586/media/contri
    b/updates {
    key-ids: 26752624
    update
    }

    Contrib\ Testing
    rsync://carroll.cac.psu.edu/mandrakelinux/official/2008.1/i586/media/contri
    b/testing {
    ignore
    }

    Contrib\ Backports
    rsync://carroll.cac.psu.edu/mandrakelinux/official/2008.1/i586/media/contri
    b/backports {
    ignore
    }

    Non-free
    rsync://carroll.cac.psu.edu/mandrakelinux/official/2008.1/i586/media/non-
    free/release {
    key-ids: 70771ff3
    }

    Non-free\ Updates
    rsync://carroll.cac.psu.edu/mandrakelinux/official/2008.1/i586/media/non-
    free/updates {
    key-ids: 26752624
    update
    }

    Non-free\ Testing
    rsync://carroll.cac.psu.edu/mandrakelinux/official/2008.1/i586/media/non-
    free/testing {
    ignore
    }

    Non-free\ Backports
    rsync://carroll.cac.psu.edu/mandrakelinux/official/2008.1/i586/media/non-
    free/backports {
    ignore
    }

    PLF\ Free {
    key-ids: caba22ae
    mirrorlist: http://plf.zarb.org/mirrors/2008.1.i586.list
    update
    with-dir: media/../../../../2008.1/free/release/binary/i586
    }

    PLF\ Free\ backports {
    ignore
    mirrorlist: http://plf.zarb.org/mirrors/2008.1.i586.list
    with-dir: media/../../../../2008.1/free/backports/binary/i586
    }

    PLF\ Non-free {
    key-ids: caba22ae
    mirrorlist: http://plf.zarb.org/mirrors/2008.1.i586.list
    update
    with-dir: media/../../../../2008.1/non-free/release/binary/i586
    }

    PLF\ Non-free\ backports {
    ignore
    mirrorlist: http://plf.zarb.org/mirrors/2008.1.i586.list
    with-dir: media/../../../../2008.1/non-free/backports/binary/i586
    }
    ======== free ==========
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 450676 334704 115972 0 14072 147676
    -/+ buffers/cache: 172956 277720
    Swap: 8185076 0 8185076

    Default run level is 5

    ======== chkconfig --list ==========
    Double check if /avahi/ needs to be disabled on boot
    avahi-daemon 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    acpid 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    alsa 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    atd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    auditd 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    avahi-daemon 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    clamd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    coherence 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    crond 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    dansguardian 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    dm 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5n 6ff
    firestarter 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4ff 5n 6ff
    freshclam 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    fuse 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    haldaemon 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    harddrake 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    httpd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4ff 5n 6ff
    iptables 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    keytable 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    kheader 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4ff 5n 6ff
    ksysguard 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    lisa 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    mandi 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    messagebus 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    netconsole 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    netfs 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    network 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    network-up 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    nfs-common 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    ntpd 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    numlock 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    partmon 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    postfix 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    rcl 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    resolvconf 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    rpcbind 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    shorewall 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    smb 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    sound 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    squid 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    sshd 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    syslog 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    vncserver 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4ff 5n 6ff
    webmin 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    xinetd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff

    xinetd based services:
    rsync: off
    sshd-xinetd: on
    swat: on
    ======== grep hosts: /etc/nsswitch.conf ==========
    #hosts: files nis dns
    hosts: files nis dns
    ======== grep -v '^#' /etc/resolv.conf ==========
    nameserver 192.168.0.1
    ======== hostname --fqdn ==========
    server.invalid
    === cat /etc/netprofile/profiles/default/files/etc/hosts ====
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    ======== grep eth /etc/mod*.conf ==========
    alias eth0 via_rhine
    === cat /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks ====
    sh /etc/firestarter/firestarter.sh start
    ======== grep -v '^#' /etc/host.conf ==========
    order hosts,bind
    multi on
    ================ ifconfig -a ==============
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:133:62:82:09
    inet addr:192.168.0.102 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:613718 (599.3 KiB) TX bytes:5851395 (5.5 MiB)
    Interrupt:18 Base address:0xec00

    ham0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:FF:659:7F:6C
    inet addr:5.203.193.2 Bcast:5.255.255.255 Mask:255.0.0.0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:500
    RX bytes:155440 (151.7 KiB) TX bytes:5433477 (5.1 MiB)

    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:33523 (32.7 KiB) TX bytes:33523 (32.7 KiB)

    === cat /etc/iftab ====
    eth0 mac 00:13:d3:62:82:09
    === cat /etc/udev/rules.d/61-net_config.rules ====
    # udev persistent rules for net subsystem
    # Generated by Mandriva udev rules
    # See /etc/udev/rules.d/62-create_persistent.rules

    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:13:d3:62:82:09", NAME="eth0", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:ff:18:98:87:f9", NAME="ham0", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:ff:70:a6:a6:83", NAME="ham1", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:ff:f9:9d:43:d2", NAME="ham2", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:ff:97:67:03:88", NAME="ham3", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:ff:90:2a:4c:27", NAME="ham4", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:ff:bd:ed:3c:31", NAME="ham5", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:ff:c7:41:77:ba", NAME="ham6", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:ff:8d:e4:0b:1e", NAME="ham7", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:ff:a7:29:ac:d7", NAME="ham8", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:ff:bb:50:a1:67", NAME="ham9", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:ff:00:f3:cd:e7", NAME="ham10", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:ff:1b:0b:81:89", NAME="ham11", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:ff:1b:be:a4:70", NAME="ham12", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:ff:24:7c:8f:44", NAME="ham13", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:ff:c8:29:13:49", NAME="ham14", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:ff:22:66:9d:49", NAME="ham15", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:ff:47:e9:a8:95", NAME="ham16", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:ff:c2:cc:49:74", NAME="ham17", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:ff:ee:72:d0:ee", NAME="ham18", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:ff:ed:70:af:6c", NAME="ham19", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:ff:64:34:bb:1c", NAME="ham20", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:ff:5c:b1:7c:1b", NAME="ham21", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:ff:38:6b:00:d4", NAME="ham22", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:ff:3b:5e:f7:72", NAME="ham23", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:ff:9e:f1:30:79", NAME="ham24", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:ff:b2:9e:52:a4", NAME="ham25", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:ff:2d:4f:19:de", NAME="ham26", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:ff:1b:37:46:42", NAME="ham27", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:ff:00:63:df:51", NAME="ham28", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:ff:bd:d9:b5:71", NAME="ham29", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    =="00:ff:65:d9:7f:6c", NAME="ham30", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    ============== route -n =================
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
    Iface
    192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 10 0 0
    eth0
    5.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0
    ham0
    0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 10 0 0
    eth0
    === cat /etc/sysconfig/network ====
    NETWORKING_IPV6=no #speeds dns lookup
    NETWORKING=yes
    NEEDHOSTNAME=no #I'll use my own hostname
    HOSTNAME=server.invalid

    # 4/24/08 per bt request. DK what it will do.
    NOZEROCONF=yes
    ========== head -15 /etc/hosts ===========
    # generated by drakhosts
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    192.168.0.102 server.invalid server

    ======== ethtool eth0 ==========
    Settings for eth0:
    Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
    Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
    100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
    Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
    Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
    100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
    Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
    Speed: 100Mb/s
    Duplex: Full
    Port: MII
    PHYAD: 1
    Transceiver: internal
    Auto-negotiation: on
    Supports Wake-on: pumbg
    Wake-on: d
    Current message level: 0x00000001 (1)
    Link detected: yes
    === dmesg | grep eth0 | grep -v SRC= ===
    eth0: VIA Rhine II at 0x1ec00, 00:13:d3:62:82:09, IRQ 18.
    eth0: MII PHY found at address 1, status 0x786d advertising 01e1 Link 41e1.
    eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x41E1
    === grep eth0 /var/log/messages | tail -10 ===
    Apr 24 21:15:30 server ifplugd(eth0)[2808]: client: Determining IP
    information for eth0...External network device eth0 is not ready.
    Aborting..
    Apr 24 21:15:32 server dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255
    port 67
    Apr 24 21:15:33 server ntpd[3760]: Listening on interface #2 eth0,
    192.168.0.102#123 Enabled
    Apr 24 21:15:36 server ifplugd(eth0)[2808]: client: Firewall started
    Apr 24 21:15:36 server ifplugd(eth0)[2808]: client: done.
    Apr 24 21:15:36 server ifplugd(eth0)[2808]: Program executed successfully.
    Apr 24 21:15:48 server kernel: Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=
    00:13:d3:62:82:09:00:13:46:06:c9:7e:08:00 SRC=69.25.21.221 DST=
    192.168.0.102 LEN=80 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=51 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=48664
    DPT=38795 LEN=60
    Apr 24 21:15:49 server kernel: Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=
    00:13:d3:62:82:09:00:13:46:06:c9:7e:08:00 SRC=69.25.21.221 DST=
    192.168.0.102 LEN=80 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=51 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=48664
    DPT=38795 LEN=60
    Apr 24 21:15:49 server kernel: Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=
    00:13:d3:62:82:09:00:13:46:06:c9:7e:08:00 SRC=69.25.21.221 DST=
    192.168.0.102 LEN=80 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=51 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=48664
    DPT=38795 LEN=60
    Apr 24 21:15:50 server kernel: Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=
    00:13:d3:62:82:09:00:13:46:06:c9:7e:08:00 SRC=69.25.21.223 DST=
    192.168.0.102 LEN=92 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=51 ID=19115 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=
    32976 DPT=57090 WINDOW=8576 RES=0x00 ACK PSH URGP=0
    === cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 ====
    DEVICE=eth0
    BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    ONBOOT=yes
    METRIC=10
    MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no
    USERCTL=no
    RESOLV_MODS=no
    IPV6INIT=no
    IPV6TO4INIT=no
    DHCP_CLIENT=dhclient
    DHCP_HOSTNAME=server
    NEEDHOSTNAME=no
    PEERDNS=yes
    PEERYP=yes
    PEERNTPD=no
    ======== tail -18 /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient-eth0.leases ==========
    option dhcp-server-identifier 192.168.0.1;
    renew 0 2008/4/27 00:57:58;
    rebind 2 2008/4/29 19:41:59;
    expire 3 2008/4/30 16:41:59;
    }
    lease {
    interface "eth0";
    fixed-address 192.168.0.102;
    option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
    option routers 192.168.0.1;
    option dhcp-lease-time 604800;
    option dhcp-message-type 5;
    option dhcp-server-identifier 192.168.0.1;
    option domain-name-servers 192.168.0.1;
    renew 1 2008/4/28 09:13:53;
    rebind 4 2008/5/1 04:15:32;
    expire 5 2008/5/2 01:15:32;
    }
    === dmesg | grep eth1 | grep -v SRC= ===
    === grep eth1 /var/log/messages | tail -10 ===
    === dmesg | grep eth2 | grep -v SRC= ===
    === grep eth2 /var/log/messages | tail -10 ===
    ========= cd /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d ; ls -al ========
    total 12
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2008-04-22 09:13 .
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2008-04-22 09:13 ..
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 175 2008-02-01 15:30 00-netreport
    ===== cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifdown.d ; ls -al ====
    total 12
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2008-04-22 09:13 .
    drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 2008-04-22 15:26 ..
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 224 2008-04-04 12:21 vpn
    ===== cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup.d ; ls -al ====
    total 20
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2008-04-22 09:32 .
    drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 2008-04-22 15:26 ..
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 676 2007-12-19 09:18 netprofile
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 819 2008-03-26 07:55 postfix
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 225 2008-04-04 12:21 vpn
    ========= cd /etc/resolvconf/update.d ; ls -al ========
    total 24
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2008-04-22 09:13 .
    drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 2008-04-22 09:13 ..
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3542 2006-08-09 09:36 bind
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2969 2008-01-08 11:46 dnscache
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4465 2008-03-14 17:26 libc
    ======== grep -v '^#' /etc/hosts.allow ==========

    ======== grep -v '^#' /etc/hosts.deny ==========

    ==== end of config/network data dump =======

  13. Re: SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 01:47:38 GMT, Frank Dreyfus wrote:

    > Yes. It's a valid, registered domain.
    > Now that it's at the client; I use only Hamachi. Same slow connection in
    > both connection profiles.

    Hmmm, going to guess, ssh is getting tangled in the hamachi routing.
    That is going to need the Wizards eyeball.

    > ======== grep hosts: /etc/nsswitch.conf ==========
    > #hosts: files nis dns
    > hosts: files nis dns

    Dang it, it appears you did not set as requested. I asked for

    hosts: files dns nis

    > ======== grep -v '^#' /etc/resolv.conf ==========
    > nameserver 192.168.0.1

    Guessing that is router, which has no knowledge of Hamachi routing.

    > ======== hostname --fqdn ==========
    > server.invalid

    Well, I had expected server.invalid.com or server.invalid.org
    The Wizard may ask about that FQDN not being quite right.
    Guess I should have given you an example of how result should look.

    > ======== grep eth /etc/mod*.conf ==========
    > alias eth0 via_rhine

    I have to assume
    install ipv6 /bin/true
    alias net-pf-10 off
    followed by a return

    I want you to do a
    # cat /etc/modprobe.conf

    and verify that the prompt is on next line.

    Look at this example

    [bittwister@wm81 ~]$ cat /etc/modprobe.conf
    < snip >
    alias pci:v000011ADd00000002sv000011ADsd0000F003bc02sc00 i00 tulip
    install ipv6 /bin/true
    alias net-pf-10 off
    [bittwister@wm81 ~]$ <====== see, prompt is not on alias line.

    > === cat /etc/udev/rules.d/61-net_config.rules ====
    > # udev persistent rules for net subsystem
    > # Generated by Mandriva udev rules
    > # See /etc/udev/rules.d/62-create_persistent.rules
    >
    > SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    > =="00:13:d3:62:82:09", NAME="eth0", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    > SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    > =="00:ff:18:98:87:f9", NAME="ham0", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    > SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    > =="00:ff:70:a6:a6:83", NAME="ham1", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    > SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    > =="00:ff:f9:9d:43:d2", NAME="ham2", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    > SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    > =="00:ff:97:67:03:88", NAME="ham3", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    > SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    > =="00:ff:90:2a:4c:27", NAME="ham4", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    > SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    > =="00:ff:bd:ed:3c:31", NAME="ham5", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"

    No idea why there are so many different hamX ids in the file.

    > ============== route -n =================
    > Kernel IP routing table
    > Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    > 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 10 0 0 eth0
    > 5.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 ham0
    > 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 10 0 0 eth0

    > === cat /etc/sysconfig/network ====
    > NETWORKING_IPV6=no #speeds dns lookup
    > NETWORKING=yes
    > NEEDHOSTNAME=no #I'll use my own hostname
    > HOSTNAME=server.invalid
    > # 4/24/08 per bt request. DK what it will do.
    > NOZEROCONF=yes

    Before next dump, change the above to

    NETWORKING_IPV6=no #speeds dns lookup
    NETWORKING=yes
    NEEDHOSTNAME=no #I'll use my own hostname
    HOSTNAME=server.invalid
    NOZEROCONF=yes # 4/24/08 per bt request. DK what it will do.

    Just to keep the Wizard from wondering about separate comment line.

    As for the "DK what it will do"
    If you go back and look, your old route had an extra line, something like

    ============== route -n =================
    Kernel IP routing table
    192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 10 0 0 eth0
    169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 10 0 0 eth0
    5.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 ham0
    0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 10 0 0 eth0

    I wonder what is going on with all the Hamachi hardware Ids
    in /etc/udev/rules.d/61-net_config.rules

    Someone with some knowledge about that will have to jump in.
    I wish David W. Hodgins has some time to look at those rules.
    I would expect only one "hamX" entry.

    Do make the requested /etc/nsswitch.conf change.

    I need you to modify the dump script before posting it's results next time.

    Search for cat_fn /etc/dhclient-enter-hooks
    and above it, add the following:

    if [ -e /etc/modprobe.conf ] ; then
    cat /etc/modprobe.conf >> $_out_fn
    fi

    When you modify domain name, I want you to just change the prefix not
    suffix; example.

    registered_domain.com to invalid.com or
    registered_domain.org to invalid.org or
    registered_domain.biz to invalid.biz or

    put a disclaimer at top that you made the change to hide the
    registered_domain part of the FQDN.

    Ok, we hit my knowledge wall and if no one jumps in
    with suggestions, you will need to start that other thread with
    the picture and node ip/gateway values.

  14. Re: SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1

    Bit Twister wrote in

    >> ======== grep hosts: /etc/nsswitch.conf ==========
    >> #hosts: files nis dns
    >> hosts: files nis dns

    > Dang it, it appears you did not set as requested. I asked for

    Oops. Sorry. I started to make the change but didn't follow through.

    >> ======== grep -v '^#' /etc/resolv.conf ==========
    >> nameserver 192.168.0.1

    > Guessing that is router, which has no knowledge of Hamachi routing.

    Right. Hamachi flows right through routers.

    >> ======== hostname --fqdn ==========
    >> server.invalid

    > Well, I had expected server.invalid.com or server.invalid.org
    > The Wizard may ask about that FQDN not being quite right.
    > Guess I should have given you an example of how result should look.

    It would have been .us

    >> ======== grep eth /etc/mod*.conf ==========
    >> alias eth0 via_rhine

    > I have to assume
    > install ipv6 /bin/true
    > alias net-pf-10 off
    > followed by a return

    Yes. There is a return.

    > I want you to do a
    > # cat /etc/modprobe.conf
    >
    > and verify that the prompt is on next line.
    >
    > Look at this example
    >
    > [bittwister@wm81 ~]$ cat /etc/modprobe.conf
    > < snip >
    > alias pci:v000011ADd00000002sv000011ADsd0000F003bc02sc00 i00 tulip
    > install ipv6 /bin/true
    > alias net-pf-10 off
    > [bittwister@wm81 ~]$ <====== see, prompt is not on alias line.

    It isn't.

    >> === cat /etc/udev/rules.d/61-net_config.rules ====
    >> # udev persistent rules for net subsystem
    >> # Generated by Mandriva udev rules
    >> # See /etc/udev/rules.d/62-create_persistent.rules
    >>
    >> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*",
    >> SYSFS{address} =="00:13:d3:62:82:09", NAME="eth0",
    >> ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes" SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add",
    >> ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address} =="00:ff:18:98:87:f9",
    >> NAME="ham0", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes" SUBSYSTEM=="net",
    >> ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    >> =="00:ff:70:a6:a6:83", NAME="ham1", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    >> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*",
    >> SYSFS{address} =="00:ff:f9:9d:43:d2", NAME="ham2",
    >> ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes" SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add",
    >> ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address} =="00:ff:97:67:03:88",
    >> NAME="ham3", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes" SUBSYSTEM=="net",
    >> ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    >> =="00:ff:90:2a:4c:27", NAME="ham4", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    >> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*",
    >> SYSFS{address} =="00:ff:bd:ed:3c:31", NAME="ham5",
    >> ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"

    > No idea why there are so many different hamX ids in the file.

    Me either.

    >> ============== route -n =================
    >> Kernel IP routing table
    >> Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
    >> Iface 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 10 0
    >> 0 eth0 5.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0
    >> 0 ham0 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 10 0
    >> 0 eth0

    >> === cat /etc/sysconfig/network ====
    >> NETWORKING_IPV6=no #speeds dns lookup
    >> NETWORKING=yes
    >> NEEDHOSTNAME=no #I'll use my own hostname
    >> HOSTNAME=server.invalid
    >> # 4/24/08 per bt request. DK what it will do.
    >> NOZEROCONF=yes

    > Before next dump, change the above to
    >
    > NETWORKING_IPV6=no #speeds dns lookup
    > NETWORKING=yes
    > NEEDHOSTNAME=no #I'll use my own hostname
    > HOSTNAME=server.invalid
    > NOZEROCONF=yes # 4/24/08 per bt request. DK what it will do.
    >
    > Just to keep the Wizard from wondering about separate comment line.
    >
    > As for the "DK what it will do"
    > If you go back and look, your old route had an extra line, something
    > like
    >
    >============== route -n =================
    > Kernel IP routing table
    > Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
    > Iface 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 10 0
    > 0 eth0 169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 10 0
    > 0 eth0 5.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0
    > 0 ham0 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 10 0
    > 0 eth0

    Yes. I see.

    > I wonder what is going on with all the Hamachi hardware Ids
    > in /etc/udev/rules.d/61-net_config.rules
    >
    > Someone with some knowledge about that will have to jump in.
    > I wish David W. Hodgins has some time to look at those rules.
    > I would expect only one "hamX" entry.
    >
    > Do make the requested /etc/nsswitch.conf change.
    >
    > I need you to modify the dump script before posting it's results next
    > time.
    >
    > Search for cat_fn /etc/dhclient-enter-hooks
    > and above it, add the following:
    >
    > if [ -e /etc/modprobe.conf ] ; then
    > cat /etc/modprobe.conf >> $_out_fn
    > fi
    >

    > When you modify domain name, I want you to just change the prefix not
    > suffix; example.
    >
    > registered_domain.com to invalid.com or
    > registered_domain.org to invalid.org or
    > registered_domain.biz to invalid.biz or
    >
    > put a disclaimer at top that you made the change to hide the
    > registered_domain part of the FQDN.
    >

    > Ok, we hit my knowledge wall and if no one jumps in
    > with suggestions, you will need to start that other thread with
    > the picture and node ip/gateway values.

    OK Bit. I really appreciate your help.

    Maybe some day I can return the favor; but rather doubt it ;>)

    Thanks,

    Frank

  15. Re: SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 03:35:16 GMT, Frank Dreyfus wrote:

    Oh by the way, disabling avahi-daemon, setting NOZEROCONF=yes and the
    /etc/nsswitch.conf are/were to improve routing and dns look up speeds.

    When you go to wrap this up, you need to go back and fix /etc/hosts.
    It should look something like

    127.0.0.1 server.mydomain.us server localhost.localdomain localhost

    From our last few exchanges, I still am not sure if you indicated

    2008.0 ssh @2008.1 was fast
    doze ssh @2008.0 was fast
    doze to ssh @2008.1 was slow

    On your home LAN, or

    doze to ssh @2008.0 was fast and after upgrade
    doze to ssh @2008.1 was slow on customer LAN.

    That is why I suggest the pictures, gate/node ip addresses
    and concise problem description in the new thread.

    Only thing we did not verify was sshd always on instead
    of When Needed is the problem on 2008.1.

  16. Re: SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 04:07:47 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:

    > That is why I suggest the pictures, gate/node ip addresses
    > and concise problem description in the new thread.
    >
    > Only thing we did not verify was sshd always on instead
    > of When Needed is the problem on 2008.1.

    You might consider posting your new thread post here
    and everyone can see what may help make it better
    before using it when starting the new thread.

  17. Re: SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 23:35:16 -0400, Frank Dreyfus wrote:

    From what I've found on google, the delay is probably being caused by
    pam. Take a look at
    http://archives.neohapsis.com/archiv...3-09/0055.html
    and see if adding "PasswordAuthentication no" to sshd.config fixes
    the delay problem.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  18. Re: SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 23:09:20 -0400, Bit Twister wrote:

    >> # See /etc/udev/rules.d/62-create_persistent.rules
    >> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    >> =="00:13:d3:62:82:09", NAME="eth0", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    >> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    >> =="00:ff:18:98:87:f9", NAME="ham0", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    >> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    >> =="00:ff:70:a6:a6:83", NAME="ham1", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    >> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    >> =="00:ff:f9:9d:43:d2", NAME="ham2", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    >> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    >> =="00:ff:97:67:03:88", NAME="ham3", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    >> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    >> =="00:ff:90:2a:4c:27", NAME="ham4", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    >> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    >> =="00:ff:bd:ed:3c:31", NAME="ham5", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"

    > Someone with some knowledge about that will have to jump in.
    > I wish David W. Hodgins has some time to look at those rules.
    > I would expect only one "hamX" entry.

    I'm here .

    Use a text editor to edit /etc/udev/rules.d/62-create_persistent.rules
    and delete all of the above lines. Then reboot.

    Udev is good for some things, like dynamically mounting a particular
    removable device, to the same mountpoint, but it's storing of what
    was where causes problems when things move around. It can cause a
    dvd reader/writer moved from one connection to another to be assigned
    /dev/dvd1, instead of /dev/dvd, and can cause nics to be assigned
    nic ids like eth1 instead of eth0.

    Anytime you change hardware, or software created devices, you have to
    clean all of the old rules from the files in /etc/udev/rules.d/ (delete
    the lines in the files, not the files), and then reboot, or at least
    restart udev. When you do, udev will create new rules, based on your
    current hardware.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  19. Re: SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 03:01:19 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 23:35:16 -0400, Frank Dreyfus wrote:
    >
    > From what I've found on google, the delay is probably being caused by
    > pam.

    Sounds good, but, if Frank did a clean install, we both are running
    same ssh_config file, both have same /etc/sysconfig/network,
    /etc/nsswitch.conf, /etc/hosts file, (with in reason), sshing
    from a doze box to 2008.1 locally on the same LAN segment:
    I have about 1 second delay and he still gets 30+ sec delay.

    Now I would hate to think him running at SECURE_LEVEL=2 (Medium I think)
    and me at SECURE_LEVEL=3 (High) would cause PAM to act differently.
    Harsher for him, and less harsh for me.

    Only odd thing left seemed to be franks nic settings.
    It looked like either an upgrade or toggle between static/dhcp.

    I had asked him to delete and recreate it, but have no idea if
    he ever did so.

    I also did not get him to set /etc/hosts.allow like mine.

    Guess I need to play more with putty to see if I can get some
    debugging information from ssh. I assumed adding debugging switches
    would only work on linux side attempts.

  20. Re: SSH connection takes 30 seconds: 2008.1

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 03:12:46 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 23:09:20 -0400, Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >>> # See /etc/udev/rules.d/62-create_persistent.rules
    >>> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    >>> =="00:13:d3:62:82:09", NAME="eth0", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    >>> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*", SYSFS{address}
    >>> =="00:ff:18:98:87:f9", NAME="ham0", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"

    > I'm here .
    >
    > Udev is good for some things, like dynamically mounting a particular
    > removable device, to the same mountpoint, but it's storing of what
    > was where causes problems when things move around. It can cause a
    > dvd reader/writer moved from one connection to another to be assigned
    > /dev/dvd1, instead of /dev/dvd, and can cause nics to be assigned
    > nic ids like eth1 instead of eth0.
    >
    > Anytime you change hardware, or software created devices, you have to
    > clean all of the old rules from the files in /etc/udev/rules.d/ (delete
    > the lines in the files, not the files), and then reboot, or at least
    > restart udev. When you do, udev will create new rules, based on your
    > current hardware.

    Knew about name shuffling, I did not expect to see SYSFS{address} values
    moving around let alone with such wide swings in value.
    At least on my nic it does not change when name changes.