vnc server not working in ML2008.1 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on vnc server not working in ML2008.1 - Mandriva ; Hi, I'm having a problem connecting to vnc server on ML 2008.1. I'm using a Win box and have tried both ultravnc and realvnc as the client. When I try to connect it says something about the wrong plugin. I've ...

  1. vnc server not working in ML2008.1

    Hi,

    I'm having a problem connecting to vnc server on ML 2008.1.

    I'm using a Win box and have tried both ultravnc and realvnc as the client.

    When I try to connect it says something about the wrong plugin.

    I've tried this with both tightvnc server and vnc-server and I get the same
    error with both.

    Ultravnc and realvnc have both worked with all prior versions of ML
    tightvnc as the server.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,

    Frank

  2. Re: vnc server not working in ML2008.1

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 14:42:43 GMT, Frank Dreyfus wrote:

    > I've tried this with both tightvnc server and vnc-server and I get the same
    > error with both.

    Besides the /var/message firewall suggestion in another thread.

    You may want to verify newly install servers are running and set for
    On Boot if desired.

    That is another new "security feature" on server/daemon packages on 2008.1.

  3. Re: vnc server not working in ML2008.1

    This is a reply to BitTwister's message from another thread.

    I'm responding here in an effort to avoid thread confusion.

    Hi Bit,

    Bit Twister wrote in

    > On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 14:35:00 GMT, Frank Dreyfus wrote:

    > Firewall problem. Click up a terminal, su - root

    No. I've disabled the firewall. Same problem.

    Syslog shows this:
    Apr 22 10:48:44 localhost kernel: Xvnc[8169]: segfault at 00000000 eip
    08085f1f esp bfb16420 error 4

    Vnc log shows this:
    22/04/2008 10:48:23 Listening for VNC connections on TCP port 5905
    expected keysym, got XF86Info: line 959 of inet
    22/04/2008 10:48:43
    22/04/2008 10:48:43 Got VNC connection from client 192.168.0.162

    It says it got a connection; but if it did, it didn't work.

    >> When I try to connect it says something about the wrong plugin.

    > I assume your talking doze side message because you provided
    > no detailed information.

    Yes; it's on the doze side. Here's what it says:

    "Connection failed - Error reading Protocol Version
    Possible causes:
    - You've forgotten to select a DSMPlugin and the Server uses a DSMPlugin
    - Viewer and Server are not compatible (they use different RFB
    protocoles)
    - Bad connection"

    The last one, "Bad connection" is certainly not the case. The other two
    I don't understand at all. As I said b4, it's always worked on prior LM
    versions.

    Thanks,

    Frank

  4. Re: vnc server not working in ML2008.1

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 15:08:00 GMT, Frank Dreyfus wrote:
    > This is a reply to BitTwister's message from another thread.
    >
    > I'm responding here in an effort to avoid thread confusion.

    Lurkers and future search would have liked to had seen

    su - root
    tail -f /var/log/messages
    test from other machine

    shorewall clear
    test again
    shorewall restart
    test again

    You know, the little details. :-)

    >> Firewall problem. Click up a terminal, su - root

    > No. I've disabled the firewall. Same problem.

    Just a point for the lurkers, I recommend a
    shorewall clear not a
    shorewall stop when proving firewall is not part of the problem.

    > Syslog shows this:
    > Apr 22 10:48:44 localhost kernel: Xvnc[8169]: segfault at 00000000 eip
    > 08085f1f esp bfb16420 error 4

    Always bad juju when you see a segfault.
    Message shows up from the kernel when the kernel blew the brains out
    of the application (Xvnc) and stopped it's operation.

  5. [SOLVED] vnc server not working in ML2008.1

    Frank Dreyfus wrote in
    news:Xns9A886CF7CCF9Fadfslur0mdoaur03jadl@207.115. 17.102:

    > I'm having a problem connecting to vnc server on ML 2008.1.

    Turned out to be the same DAMN problem with 2008.0 but with different
    symptoms. The /usr/bin/vnc* and xvnc files are bad!

    I think the problem only occurred in the x64 version of 2008.0. Now it
    seems to affect the I586 version.

    Replacing them with older versions solved everything. Older versions are
    available here:

    http://www.happyassassin.net/extras/...mdv2008.tar.gz
    A readme is included.

    Frank