Emulators - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Emulators - Mandriva ; As a way of making Windows XP subordinate to my Mandriva box, I tried emulators. Virtualbox - ran very well, but the guest daemon would not start, although enabled. With no guest daemon, I could not copy anything across from/to ...

  1. Emulators

    As a way of making Windows XP subordinate to my Mandriva box, I tried
    emulators.

    Virtualbox - ran very well, but the guest daemon would not start, although
    enabled. With no guest daemon, I could not copy anything across from/to an
    existing partition. I can burn things to a CD, but that is a bit
    laborious. I was thinking of putting a line into rc.local to modprobe the
    module (it has gone with each bootup) but it sounds very like a hack.

    VMware Player: Installed easily, but during setup it complained that the
    version of gcc used to compile my kernel was not the same as the version on
    my system, and refused to proceed further. That sounds like a distro
    issue.

    Doug.

  2. Re: Emulators

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > As a way of making Windows XP subordinate to my Mandriva box, I tried
    > emulators.
    >
    > Virtualbox - ran very well, but the guest daemon would not start, although
    > enabled. With no guest daemon, I could not copy anything across from/to
    > an
    > existing partition. I can burn things to a CD, but that is a bit
    > laborious. I was thinking of putting a line into rc.local to modprobe the
    > module (it has gone with each bootup) but it sounds very like a hack.

    I'm not sure what you mean by the "guest daemon". You need to install the
    Guest Additions within the VM in order to enable the shared clipboard. I'm
    using the non-free version but I think it should also work with the OSE
    version. (The OSE vboxadd rpm is intended for installation within a
    Mandriva system running as a guest.)

    Jim

  3. Re: Emulators

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > As a way of making Windows XP subordinate to my Mandriva box, I tried
    > emulators.
    >
    > Virtualbox - ran very well, but the guest daemon would not start, although
    > enabled. With no guest daemon, I could not copy anything across from/to
    > an existing partition. I can burn things to a CD, but that is a bit
    > laborious. I was thinking of putting a line into rc.local to modprobe the
    > module (it has gone with each bootup) but it sounds very like a hack.
    >
    > VMware Player: Installed easily, but during setup it complained that the
    > version of gcc used to compile my kernel was not the same as the version
    > on my system, and refused to proceed further. That sounds like a distro
    > issue.

    If your machine supports hardware virtualization - i.e. all recent
    Intel /x86-64/ machines have Vanderpool (VT) technology and all recent
    AMD /x86-64/ machines have Pacifica (AMD-V/SVM) technology - then it would
    be possible to run Windows XP in a virtual machine alongside of GNU/Linux
    on top of the Xen hypervisor.

    There are however a few catches. First of all, the machine *must* support
    hardware virtualization. For GNU/Linux and the various *BSDs, this is not
    required as they can be paravirtualized, meaning that the unprivileged
    virtual machines will make use of frontend drivers which talk to the
    backend drivers in the privileged virtual machine.

    Microsoft has at one time released a paravirtualized Windows XP for the
    development of the Xenoserver Project - from which Xen stems - but this
    release of Windows was not available to the public. As such, you can only
    run Windows inside a hardware-virtualized machine.

    In addition and to be poltically correct, I also have to emphasize that
    Microsoft has stated that the Windows XP Home and XP Pro EULA does not
    authorize XP running inside a virtual machine.

    Secondly, if you want fullscreen Windows output, you'll need a dedicated
    videocard for the unprivileged virtual machine. If not, then you can only
    view your Windows sessions inside a window on your privileged virtual
    machine's X11 desktop. In addition, 3D stuff will prove problematic
    performancewise.

    If you do have a dedicated video adapter for the unprivileged virtual
    machine, you'll need to reconfigure your /dom0/ - i.e. privileged domain -
    XenLinux kernel to enable both the virtual framebuffer and the virtual
    keyboard - the latter can only be selected if the former is selected as
    well - and then save your configuration and open up the /.config/ file in
    an editor, manually comment out the virtual framebuffer, save it and only
    then compile the kernel. Make sure the kernel also has "PCI passthrough"
    enabled.

    The rationale here is that with a dedicated videocard for the unprivileged
    virtual machine, you'd want to make use of its hardware acceleration. With
    a virtual framebuffer however, the "guest OS" will see the virtual
    framebuffer as the primary video device. Yet, you will most definitely
    also want mouse and keyboard input in the unprivileged virtual machine, so
    you need to enable a virtual keyboard and virtual mousepointer. It just so
    happens to be that the virtual keyboard is unselectable in the kernel
    configurator unless you enable the virtual framebuffer as well. ;-)

    Anyway, the above is all theoretical of course, since I don't even know
    whether your hardware supports hardware virtualization. And then there's
    the Crimosoft EULA... ;-)

    --
    Aragorn
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  4. Re: Emulators

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > As a way of making Windows XP subordinate to my Mandriva box, I tried
    > emulators.

    [snip]
    > VMware Player: Installed easily, but during setup it complained that the
    > version of gcc used to compile my kernel was not the same as the version on
    > my system, and refused to proceed further. That sounds like a distro
    > issue.

    You may want VMware Server instead. I'm using VMware Server 1.0.4 under
    Mandriva 2008.0. To get its configure script or init script (or
    something, I forget exactly what) to compile, IIRC I have to get the
    source headers for my current kernel from the repository. (I have to
    repeat this for each kernel upgrade.) I had little problem getting
    Win2000 to install (from official CD) and run in a VM, except for a
    problem with sound that I really haven't looked into yet.

    Adam

  5. Re: Emulators

    Aragorn wrote:

    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >
    >> As a way of making Windows XP subordinate to my Mandriva box, I
    >> tried emulators.
    >>
    >> Virtualbox - ran very well, but the guest daemon would not start,
    >> although
    >> enabled. With no guest daemon, I could not copy anything across
    >> from/to
    >> an existing partition. I can burn things to a CD, but that is a
    >> bit
    >> laborious. I was thinking of putting a line into rc.local to
    >> modprobe the module (it has gone with each bootup) but it sounds
    >> very like a hack.

    /etc/rc.local is a reasonable place to load modules. Also look
    at /etc/modprobe.preload and /etc/modprobe.preload.d/
    Parameters to modules have to go into different files.

    [snip]
    > In addition and to be poltically correct, I also have to emphasize
    > that Microsoft has stated that the Windows XP Home and XP Pro EULA
    > does not authorize XP running inside a virtual machine.

    [snip]

    That sounds very MS. Doug will have to read the EULA and make his
    own decision about its meaning, validity, and relevance to his
    local jurisdiction. I suspect that his previous profession has
    made him capable of doing that for himself.

    --
    Peter D.
    Sig goes here...

  6. Re: Emulators

    James Kerr wrote:

    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >
    >> As a way of making Windows XP subordinate to my Mandriva box, I tried
    >> emulators.
    >>
    >> Virtualbox - ran very well, but the guest daemon would not start,
    >> although
    >> enabled. With no guest daemon, I could not copy anything across from/to
    >> an
    >> existing partition. I can burn things to a CD, but that is a bit
    >> laborious. I was thinking of putting a line into rc.local to modprobe
    >> the module (it has gone with each bootup) but it sounds very like a hack.
    >>

    > I'm not sure what you mean by the "guest daemon". You need to install the
    > Guest Additions within the VM in order to enable the shared clipboard. I'm
    > using the non-free version but I think it should also work with the OSE
    > version. (The OSE vboxadd rpm is intended for installation within a
    > Mandriva system running as a guest.)
    >
    > Jim

    I installed the Mandriva vboxadd RPM with the guest additions. They include
    a module called "go" from memory. That module wasn't loaded. I ran
    modprobe successfully, but it didn't seem to make any difference, and it
    didn't survive a reboot.

    A specific kernel was required, different from the latest (I think
    2.6.24.2-desktop-1mdv instead of 4mv I am running now.)

    Basically, it reinforces my belief: if I want Windows, I should use Windows.
    I haven't put either emulator back since I upgraded to Spring.

    Doug.

  7. Re: Emulators

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > James Kerr wrote:
    >
    >> Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >>
    >>> As a way of making Windows XP subordinate to my Mandriva box, I tried
    >>> emulators.
    >>>
    >>> Virtualbox - ran very well, but the guest daemon would not start,
    >>> although
    >>> enabled. With no guest daemon, I could not copy anything across from/to
    >>> an
    >>> existing partition. I can burn things to a CD, but that is a bit
    >>> laborious. I was thinking of putting a line into rc.local to modprobe
    >>> the module (it has gone with each bootup) but it sounds very like a
    >>> hack.
    >>>

    >> I'm not sure what you mean by the "guest daemon". You need to install the
    >> Guest Additions within the VM in order to enable the shared clipboard.
    >> I'm using the non-free version but I think it should also work with the
    >> OSE version. (The OSE vboxadd rpm is intended for installation within a
    >> Mandriva system running as a guest.)
    >>
    >> Jim

    > I installed the Mandriva vboxadd RPM with the guest additions. They
    > include
    > a module called "go" from memory. That module wasn't loaded. I ran
    > modprobe successfully, but it didn't seem to make any difference, and it
    > didn't survive a reboot.
    >
    > A specific kernel was required, different from the latest (I think
    > 2.6.24.2-desktop-1mdv instead of 4mv I am running now.)
    >
    > Basically, it reinforces my belief: if I want Windows, I should use
    > Windows. I haven't put either emulator back since I upgraded to Spring.
    >
    > Doug.

    RE: the Virtualbox Guest additions: A HOWTO for Ubuntu says that I need the
    WINDOWS Guest module, not the Mandriva one.

    Doug.

+ Reply to Thread