[OT] Large Synoptic Survey Telescope - Mandriva

This is a discussion on [OT] Large Synoptic Survey Telescope - Mandriva ; The ground-based Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST) is planned to have a three gigapixel digital camera. Its data (several hundred MB/s) will be available to the public. One of the things that the LSST is projected to do is provide ...

  1. [OT] Large Synoptic Survey Telescope

    The ground-based Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST) is planned to
    have a three gigapixel digital camera. Its data (several hundred
    MB/s) will be available to the public.

    One of the things that the LSST is projected to do is provide data
    that will help detect "potentially hazardous asteroids as small as
    100 meters in size."

    Here is a URL for the Slashdot article dated April 22, 2008:
    http://science.slashdot.org/science/.../0116259.shtml

    Here is a URL for the LSST homepage:
    http://www.lssto.org/lsst_home.shtml

    I know this article is off topic for this newsgroup, but I think the
    telescope would be interesting to some readers of this newsgroup. I
    hope my attempt to indicate that this article is off-topic by putting
    [OT] at the beginning of the Subject line is acceptable.

  2. Re: [OT] Large Synoptic Survey Telescope

    Scott B. wrote:

    > The ground-based Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST) is planned to have
    > a three gigapixel digital camera. Its data (several hundred MB/s) will be
    > available to the public.

    I wonder what the physical dimensions of its sensor are.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  3. Re: [OT] Large Synoptic Survey Telescope

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 00:18:42 -0700, Scott B. wrote:
    > I know this article is off topic for this newsgroup, but I think the
    > telescope would be interesting to some readers of this newsgroup. I
    > hope my attempt to indicate that this article is off-topic by putting
    > [OT] at the beginning of the Subject line is acceptable.

    Cool, thanks for the info, I love this kind of stuff

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 01:00:10 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >I wonder what the physical dimensions of its sensor are.

    I'm sure it would make my 10inch F6 Newtonian look rather sad

  4. Re: [OT] Large Synoptic Survey Telescope

    aphelion wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 00:18:42 -0700, Scott B. wrote:
    >> I know this article is off topic for this newsgroup, but I think the
    >> telescope would be interesting to some readers of this newsgroup. I
    >> hope my attempt to indicate that this article is off-topic by putting
    >> [OT] at the beginning of the Subject line is acceptable.

    > Cool, thanks for the info, I love this kind of stuff
    >

    > On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 01:00:10 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >>I wonder what the physical dimensions of its sensor are.

    > I'm sure it would make my 10inch F6 Newtonian look rather sad

    You have a CCD sensor in your scope?

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

  5. Re: [OT] Large Synoptic Survey Telescope

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 00:18:42 -0700, Scott B. wrote:

    > I know this article is off topic for this newsgroup, but I think the
    > telescope would be interesting to some readers of this newsgroup.

    What about the motorcycle, fish, camera, entomologist... people
    interested in computer security, security update to firefox,
    thunderbird,.....

    > I hope my attempt to indicate that this article is off-topic by putting
    > [OT] at the beginning of the Subject line is acceptable.

    It is standard practice, but why clutter up a normally noiseless running
    newsgroup with Off Topic for the Mandriva newsgroup.

    That is a rhetorical question.

    Yes, I know, use kill file. But hey, there is all sorts of stuff we
    can post with [OT], why not, hey, anyone not liking it can just set
    [OT] in the filter. Right, right.

    Who cares about the poor users on dial up. Or the ones stuck having to
    pay by the bytes downloaded.

    Or, horrors of horrors, the subject matter experts who have a busy
    life and zip through the group seeing if there is anyone needing help,

    Yes, I screwed those same users when dualing with Leftcoast, but I
    really was trying to get people to post complaints to his ISP to get
    his account terminated.

    Scott, do not take it personally, just butting in with my two cents.

    I try to help in other groups like alt.os.linux.ubuntu where the users
    have not bothered to try to keep out the NOISE.

    I currently have 47 rules to keep out noise in that group alone and it is
    beginning to be a waste of time to read that group because of the
    added overhead of managing the kill file.

    For this group, I'm only carrying 5 threads in the filter for 30 days,
    plus Dan C, advocacy, microsoft, and MI5 for all groups.

    I'll just add [OT] to global section and shut the f*** up. :-)
    No problem, right, right.

    Then again, I can remember several threads where a person hiacked the
    thread and [OT] was used to push the problem out the original thread.

    Dang, I'll need to remember when I push those kinds of threads into [OT],
    that I will have to warn the poster of possible lack of response because
    some people may have set [OT] filters to kill NOISE in the group.

    Ah, well, I guess those newbies need learn to start their own thread
    because some subject matter experts may be killing [OT] posts caused
    by "May be of interest [OT] NOISE . :-(

    Dang, 2370 character response, pity the poor dial user. :-(

  6. Re: [OT] Large Synoptic Survey Telescope

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > It is standard practice, but why clutter up a normally noiseless running
    > newsgroup with Off Topic for the Mandriva newsgroup.

    You don't have to worry about me ever posting anything in this
    newsgroup again.

  7. Re: [OT] Large Synoptic Survey Telescope

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 07:12:58 -0700, Scott B. wrote:

    > You don't have to worry about me ever posting anything in this
    > newsgroup again.

    Sorry, I did not mean to run you out of the newsgroup.
    Just put me in your kill file instead.

    I was just trying to show everyone the ramifications thinking [OT]
    made it Ok for Off topic posts for the newsgroup.

  8. Re: [OT] Large Synoptic Survey Telescope

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in article
    , Bit Twister wrote:

    >I try to help in other groups like alt.os.linux.ubuntu where the users
    >have not bothered to try to keep out the NOISE.
    >
    >I currently have 47 rules to keep out noise in that group alone

    Hmmm... I do most of the filtering in the global section, and only have
    a few rules specific to the group (killing articles and replies directly
    to articles posted from several specific news servers).

    >and it is beginning to be a waste of time to read that group because
    >of the added overhead of managing the kill file.

    [compton ~]$ grep ^04.*ubuntu.*kill newslog | cut -d' ' -f1,4,5,6 | column
    04/01/2008 206/206 (127 killed), 04/12/2008 140/140 (65 killed),
    04/02/2008 175/175 (137 killed), 04/13/2008 193/193 (132 killed),
    04/03/2008 172/172 (136 killed), 04/14/2008 139/139 (92 killed),
    04/04/2008 222/222 (151 killed), 04/15/2008 164/164 (126 killed),
    04/05/2008 162/162 (121 killed), 04/16/2008 160/160 (113 killed),
    04/06/2008 176/176 (148 killed), 04/17/2008 180/180 (139 killed),
    04/07/2008 294/294 (226 killed), 04/18/2008 126/126 (108 killed),
    04/08/2008 243/243 (173 killed), 04/19/2008 136/136 (71 killed),
    04/09/2008 180/180 (122 killed), 04/20/2008 93/93 (37 killed),
    04/10/2008 244/244 (168 killed), 04/21/2008 121/121 (57 killed),
    04/11/2008 179/179 (118 killed), 04/22/2008 94/94 (42 killed),
    [compton ~]$

    Actually seems worse than comp.os.linux.misc.

    >For this group, I'm only carrying 5 threads in the filter for 30 days,
    >plus Dan C, advocacy, microsoft, and MI5 for all groups.

    My filter is a bit more extensive. Probably ought to look at weeding
    through it as I don't auto-expire any rules.

    >I'll just add [OT] to global section and shut the f*** up. :-)
    >No problem, right, right.

    I dunno - I've got ~3000 articles on the spool, and only 12 have the
    '[OT]' (and 3 more '[O/T]'), so maybe I'm not seeing it as much of a
    problem. Either that, or they're running afoul of other rules in the
    killfile. ;-)

    >Dang, 2370 character response, pity the poor dial user. :-(

    except you forgot the headers - and it showed up as

    and that's about a second of download over a 33.6 connection.

    Old guy

  9. Re: [OT] Large Synoptic Survey Telescope

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 14:55:20 -0500, Moe Trin wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Apr 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in article
    >, Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    > [compton ~]$ grep ^04.*ubuntu.*kill newslog | cut -d' ' -f1,4,5,6 | column
    > 04/01/2008 206/206 (127 killed), 04/12/2008 140/140 (65 killed),

    > Actually seems worse than comp.os.linux.misc.

    Yes, it is actually.

    >>I'll just add [OT] to global section and shut the f*** up. :-)
    >>No problem, right, right.

    > I dunno - I've got ~3000 articles on the spool, and only 12 have the
    > '[OT]' (and 3 more '[O/T]'), so maybe I'm not seeing it as much of a
    > problem. Either that, or they're running afoul of other rules in the
    > killfile. ;-)

    We have been pretty noise free and as a rule do not have much [OT] work.

    >>Dang, 2370 character response, pity the poor dial user. :-(

    > except you forgot the headers - and it showed up as

    I did not really forget, had I kept my rant short, header would be
    about same size, so I left it out on purpose.

    > and that's about a second of download over a 33.6 connection.

    Ok, I apologize to the few being charged by the bytes downloaded.

  10. Re: [OT] Large Synoptic Survey Telescope

    "Scott B." writes:

    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >> It is standard practice, but why clutter up a normally noiseless running
    >> newsgroup with Off Topic for the Mandriva newsgroup.

    > You don't have to worry about me ever posting anything in this
    > newsgroup again.

    Well, if it's going to be off-topic, no problem here.

    I do read sci.physics.research (moderated).
    I was going to subscribe to an astronomy group but never got around to it.
    I used to read sci.physics but it's full of whackos.

    When you see the junk in these groups, it should be easy to
    understand why people are sensitive.

  11. Re: [OT] Large Synoptic Survey Telescope

    Dan Espen wrote:

    > I used to read sci.physics but it's full of whackos.

    You mean Jeff Relf is still around?

    --
    Aragorn
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  12. Re: [OT] Large Synoptic Survey Telescope

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 07:12:58 -0700, Scott B. wrote:
    >>
    >> You don't have to worry about me ever posting anything in this
    >> newsgroup again.

    I have changed my other mind.

    > Sorry, I did not mean to run you out of the newsgroup.

    I was not seeking an apology, but thank you for being gracious.

    > Just put me in your kill file instead.

    If I did so, I would be depriving myself of your helpful information,
    so I will not do so.

    > I was just trying to show everyone the ramifications thinking [OT]
    > made it Ok for Off topic posts for the newsgroup.

    As you said in a different article

    I thought it was standard practice because it makes it easy for
    people not interested in off-topic articles to either not read those
    articles or to filter those articles. I thought it was standard
    practice so regulars could say, in effect, "Here is something that I
    am pretty sure some of you regulars would be interested in, but it is
    off-topic."

    I welcome opinions regarding my use of [OT].

    Thank you for stating your opinion, Bit Twister, and please feel free
    to point out if/how I have unfairly quoted or combined articles.

  13. Re: [OT] Large Synoptic Survey Telescope

    Aragorn wrote:

    > Dan Espen wrote:
    >
    >> I used to read sci.physics but it's full of whackos.

    > You mean Jeff Relf is still around?

    I'm not gonna take him outta my killfile to find out.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

  14. Re: [OT] Large Synoptic Survey Telescope

    >> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 01:00:10 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    > You have a CCD sensor in your scope?

    No, I just brought a digital SLR which I intend to use to have a bit of a
    mess around with taking photo's with the scope, I have all the bits to
    attach it and everything, just need the time, but no dedicated CCD
    device. I am just a backyard hack really, but I enjoy it totally.

    Jupiter and Shoemaker Levy 9, now that was an experience

  15. Re: [OT] Large Synoptic Survey Telescope

    Aragorn writes:

    > Dan Espen wrote:
    >
    >> I used to read sci.physics but it's full of whackos.

    > You mean Jeff Relf is still around?

    Yep. Ever actually look at that VB thing he keeps
    posting about. Unbelievable.

    I think it was the perpetual motion guys and
    the Einstien antagonists that were most appalling.

    The place draws crackpots like a magnet.

  16. Re: [OT] Large Synoptic Survey Telescope

    aphelion wrote:

    >>> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 01:00:10 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> You have a CCD sensor in your scope?

    > No, I just brought a digital SLR which I intend to use to have a bit of a
    > mess around with taking photo's with the scope, I have all the bits to
    > attach it and everything, just need the time, but no dedicated CCD device.
    > I am just a backyard hack really, but I enjoy it totally.

    Sounds like fun.

    > Jupiter and Shoemaker Levy 9, now that was an experience

    I watched that as the imaging came to an auditorium feed out at JPL (Jet
    Propulsion Labratories). It was kind of a geek party. There was a panel
    of scientists for commentary, etc.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

  17. Re: [OT] Large Synoptic Survey Telescope

    Dan Espen wrote:

    > Aragorn writes:
    >
    >> Dan Espen wrote:
    >>
    >>> I used to read sci.physics but it's full of whackos.

    >> You mean Jeff Relf is still around?

    > Yep. Ever actually look at that VB thing he keeps posting about.
    > Unbelievable.
    >
    > I think it was the perpetual motion guys and the Einstien antagonists that
    > were most appalling.

    Those perpetual motion guys -- they just won't stop.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

  18. Re: [OT] Large Synoptic Survey Telescope

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Those perpetual motion guys -- they just won't stop.

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284
    Mandriva 2008.1 X86_64
    2.6.24.3

  19. Re: [OT] Large Synoptic Survey Telescope

    Dan Espen wrote:

    > Aragorn writes:
    >
    >> Dan Espen wrote:
    >>
    >>> I used to read sci.physics but it's full of whackos.

    >> You mean Jeff Relf is still around?

    > Yep. Ever actually look at that VB thing he keeps
    > posting about. Unbelievable.

    Ah yes... His /X-News/ newsreader? He was advertising that
    on /comp.os.linux.advocacy/ and I have actually seen it used by some people
    in other newsgroups as well - including here, I think. I've never tried it
    because it runs on Windows. ;-)

    Oh, and then he was also quite adament about all the software he uses -
    included the software he used for coding /X-News/ - being illegal
    copies. ;-)

    > I think it was the perpetual motion guys and the Einstien antagonists that
    > were most appalling.

    Let's not forget the Creationists/Intelligent Design guys!

    > The place draws crackpots like a magnet.

    Well, the entire Internet does, come to think of it... ;-)

    --
    Aragorn
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

+ Reply to Thread