konqueror file find troubles - Mandriva

This is a discussion on konqueror file find troubles - Mandriva ; mandriva 2008 kde 3.5.7 If while running konq I go into tools then file find and input something to find and a folder/folders to search as soon as I click on find the screen partly clears and then konq is ...

  1. konqueror file find troubles

    mandriva 2008
    kde 3.5.7

    If while running konq I go into tools then file find and input
    something to find and a folder/folders to search as soon as I
    click on find the screen partly clears and then konq is locked up.
    I have to go into the kde system guard and kill the konq process
    that is running.
    If I bring up a terminal and do /usr/bin/kfind it comes up just
    fine and I can search and use the file find with no problem.
    What I cant figure out is what I did to make the file fine
    feature in konq stop working.
    The other thing that I would like to understand is why does
    file find work in a terminal,arnt or isnt the same kfind used
    in the terminal and in konq???

    Tia,Dale

  2. Re: konqueror file find troubles

    Itsdale wrote:

    > mandriva 2008
    > kde 3.5.7
    >
    > If while running konq I go into tools then file find and input
    > something to find and a folder/folders to search as soon as I
    > click on find the screen partly clears and then konq is locked up.
    > I have to go into the kde system guard and kill the konq process
    > that is running.

    You could also press /Ctrl+Alt+Escape/ simultaneously. That brings up a
    mousepointer like a skull and bones. Position it over the window you want
    to kill and left-click. A right-click or a press on the /Escape/ key
    disengages the kill tool if you've invoked it unintentionally. ;-)

    > If I bring up a terminal and do /usr/bin/kfind it comes up just
    > fine and I can search and use the file find with no problem.
    > What I cant figure out is what I did to make the file fine
    > feature in konq stop working.

    So you are saying that it _did_ work before? If not, then perhaps we should
    see whether other users are also experiencing this problem, and then it may
    be cause for filing a bug report.

    > The other thing that I would like to understand is why does
    > file find work in a terminal,arnt or isnt the same kfind used
    > in the terminal and in konq???

    They may or may not be the same thing. They appear more or less the same,
    yes, and so it may be that /Konqueror's/ file find utility simply
    invokes /kfind,/ but embedded into /Konqueror,/ and then this embedding may
    be where it goes wrong.

    Either way, both filefinders are only just frontends to the
    commandline /find/ utility.

    --
    Aragorn
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: konqueror file find troubles

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 21:23:22 -0400, Itsdale wrote:

    > mandriva 2008
    > kde 3.5.7
    > If while running konq I go into tools then file find and input
    > something to find and a folder/folders to search as soon as I
    > click on find the screen partly clears and then konq is locked up.

    I finally got around to rebooting into 2008.0, and trying it out.
    While searching for text in a file was very slow, and took a long
    time, it did work. I have some pretty big files, including one
    for VirtualBox, that's around 10GB. htop showed konqueror was
    chewing up the cpu time itself, so it doesn't appear to be spawning
    another program to run the search.

    Try restricting the search to a directory with only a few file in it,
    to see if it still locks up. I suspect, it's just taking a very long
    time, and if you let it run, it will eventually finish.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins