No vncserver for 2008.1? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on No vncserver for 2008.1? - Mandriva ; Hi, I just installed 2008.1 and can't find vncserver. I tried installing the version from 2008.0 but it depends on older versions of x11-*. I need vncserver desperately b/c my linux box is in a closet and I manage it ...

  1. No vncserver for 2008.1?

    Hi,

    I just installed 2008.1 and can't find vncserver. I tried installing the
    version from 2008.0 but it depends on older versions of x11-*.

    I need vncserver desperately b/c my linux box is in a closet and I manage
    it remotely.

    Thanks,

    Frank

  2. Re: No vncserver for 2008.1?

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 22:30:09 GMT, Frank Dreyfus wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just installed 2008.1 and can't find vncserver. I tried installing the
    > version from 2008.0 but it depends on older versions of x11-*.
    >
    > I need vncserver desperately b/c my linux box is in a closet and I manage
    > it remotely.

    I would have guessed if you have the contrib mirror set you would
    install vnc-server

  3. Re: No vncserver for 2008.1?

    Bit Twister wrote in

    > I would have guessed if you have the contrib mirror set you would
    > install vnc-server

    Hi Bit,

    I do have the contrib mirror set but there is no vnc-server or any vnc
    server. Are you sure it's in contrib? Actually I used easyurpmi to set
    the sources automatically so I think I have everthing except backports
    and testing.

    I'll try to enable testing and see what happens.

    Thanks,

    Frank

  4. Re: No vncserver for 2008.1?

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 23:19:23 GMT, Frank Dreyfus wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote in
    >
    >> I would have guessed if you have the contrib mirror set you would
    >> install vnc-server

    > Hi Bit,
    >
    > I do have the contrib mirror set but there is no vnc-server or any vnc
    > server. Are you sure it's in contrib? Actually I used easyurpmi to set
    > the sources automatically so I think I have everthing except backports
    > and testing.

    contrib-2008.1.idx:vnc-server-4.1.2-2mdv2008.1.i586.rpm 85708 Apr 03 21:05
    main-2008.1.idx:tightvnc-server-1.3.9-12mdv2008.1.i586.rpm 57152 Apr 03 19:32

  5. Re: No vncserver for 2008.1?

    Bit Twister wrote in

    > contrib-2008.1.idx:vnc-server-4.1.2-2mdv2008.1.i586.rpm 85708 Apr 03
    > 21:05 main-2008.1.idx:tightvnc-server-1.3.9-12mdv2008.1.i586.rpm 57152
    > Apr 03 19:32

    Hi Bit,

    What mirror did you get these from?

    I enabled all the testing mirrors and that didn't help either.

    Thanks,

    Frank

  6. Re: No vncserver for 2008.1?

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 23:49:13 GMT, Frank Dreyfus wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote in
    >
    >> contrib-2008.1.idx:vnc-server-4.1.2-2mdv2008.1.i586.rpm 85708 Apr 03
    >> 21:05 main-2008.1.idx:tightvnc-server-1.3.9-12mdv2008.1.i586.rpm 57152
    >> Apr 03 19:32
    >>

    > Hi Bit,
    >
    > What mirror did you get these from?
    >
    > I enabled all the testing mirrors and that didn't help either.

    Not running testing mirrors myself.

    As to mirrors, new 2008.1 picks one which happens to be up.

    I deleted all mirrors, went to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/
    and now my /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg has this snippet. :-(

    Contrib {
    key-ids: 78d019f5
    mirrorlist: $MIRRORLIST
    with-dir: media/contrib/release
    }

  7. Re: No vncserver for 2008.1?

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 23:49:13 GMT, Frank Dreyfus wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote in
    >
    >> contrib-2008.1.idx:vnc-server-4.1.2-2mdv2008.1.i586.rpm 85708 Apr 03
    >> 21:05 main-2008.1.idx:tightvnc-server-1.3.9-12mdv2008.1.i586.rpm 57152
    >> Apr 03 19:32
    >>

    > Hi Bit,
    >
    > What mirror did you get these from?

    Looking into my fetch idx batch job, I find I pulled package info from
    ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/...ontrib/release

    Sorry, for slow turnaround, Working a Doze problem with little brother
    in Alaska over phone.

  8. Re: No vncserver for 2008.1?

    Bit Twister wrote in

    > Contrib {
    > key-ids: 78d019f5
    > mirrorlist: $MIRRORLIST
    > with-dir: media/contrib/release
    > }

    Hi Bit,

    I have/had the same thing but for a different key-ids.

    I had to throw in the towel for now and am installing 2008.0.

    Hopefully this "kink" will be ironed out down the road.

    Thanks for your help,

    Frank

  9. Re: No vncserver for 2008.1?

    Frank Dreyfus wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote in
    >
    >> Contrib {
    >> key-ids: 78d019f5
    >> mirrorlist: $MIRRORLIST
    >> with-dir: media/contrib/release
    >> }
    >>

    > Hi Bit,
    >
    > I have/had the same thing but for a different key-ids.
    >
    > I had to throw in the towel for now and am installing 2008.0.
    >
    > Hopefully this "kink" will be ironed out down the road.
    >
    > Thanks for your help,
    >
    > Frank

    all I did is go into rmdrake the search for vnc then sift threw the
    packages that came up, there was a fiew vnc servers there.

  10. Re: No vncserver for 2008.1?

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > Sorry, for slow turnaround, Working a Doze problem with little brother
    > in Alaska over phone.

    It surprises me that you haven't convinced little bro to use 'that
    better operating system'.
    Perhaps because that barrier 'Redmond' sits (physically) between the 2
    of you

    BTW I really enjoy your wide ranging advices to this NG and learn a lot
    from them.

    Frank ( a rather old guy)

  11. Re: [OT] No vncserver for 2008.1?

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 11:01:23 +0100, Highland Ham wrote:

    > It surprises me that you haven't convinced little bro to use 'that
    > better operating system'.

    If I had a good replacement for Quickbooks he uses for his business
    I could flip him in half hour.
    Having to buy Micro$soft to run an application via wine is kinda hard
    to sell.

    > BTW I really enjoy your wide ranging advices to this NG and learn a lot
    > from them.

    You are welcome, always trying to repay Usenet users with what Usenet
    has given me.

    --
    Warning, Subject contains [OT] which may not be seen by subject matter
    experts who may have filters set to kill Off Topic for Mandriva NOISE.

  12. Re: No vncserver for 2008.1?

    Bit Twister wrote in

    > Looking into my fetch idx batch job, I find I pulled package info from
    > ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/...alinux/officia
    > l/2008.1/i586/media/contrib/release

    Thanks Bit!

    I'm going to give it one more try. Very odd that it (vnc-server) didn't
    show up for me.

    Please; no need to apologize. Your help is very much appreciated. You are
    a shining star on this forum.

    Frank

  13. Re: No vncserver for 2008.1?

    Bit Twister wrote in

    > Looking into my fetch idx batch job, I find I pulled package info from
    > ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/...alinux/officia
    > l/2008.1/i586/media/contrib/release

    Hi Bit,

    First problem solved: By default, mcc only shows packages with gui's. I
    don't think that was the default in prior versions.

    New Problem: I can't connect to the vnc server (not tight or vnc-
    server). I'm using a win box with ultravnc as the client.

    When I try to connect it says something about the wrong plugin.

    Ultravnc has worked with all prior versions of ML tightvnc as the server.

    Any ideas?

    I'm going to start a new thread on this issue so that it may, hopefully,
    get a wider audience.

    Thanks,

    Frank

  14. Re: No vncserver for 2008.1?

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 14:35:00 GMT, Frank Dreyfus wrote:

    > First problem solved: By default, mcc only shows packages with gui's. I
    > don't think that was the default in prior versions.

    Frap, sorry about that, forgot all about that.
    First time I was in MCC made the change and forgot all about it.

    > New Problem: I can't connect to the vnc server (not tight or vnc-
    > server). I'm using a win box with ultravnc as the client.

    Firewall problem. Click up a terminal, su - root
    tail -f /var/log/messages

    and try doze again, no message, ok, ctl c, to abort tail -f
    shorewall clear
    try doze connection
    shorewall restart.

    > When I try to connect it says something about the wrong plugin.

    I assume your talking doze side message because you provided
    no detailed information.

    > Any ideas?

    Not, me you already know more than me.

    > I'm going to start a new thread on this issue so that it may, hopefully,
    > get a wider audience.

    Yep, and when get the resolution, follow up with SOLUTION on end of
    subject line will help people using a search engine. :-)

  15. Re: No vncserver for 2008.1?

    Frank Dreyfus wrote:

    > I need vncserver desperately b/c my linux box is in a closet and I manage
    > it remotely.

    Why not use ssh? Tunnel X11 over that and you get full GUI access to
    the remote machine. I manage a lot of remote linux/unix machines that way.

    VNC is exceedingly useful for remotely managing Windows, but it isn't
    really needed for linux/unix.

    Regards,

    David Mathog

  16. Re: No vncserver for 2008.1?

    David Mathog wrote in

    > Why not use ssh? Tunnel X11 over that and you get full GUI access to
    > the remote machine. I manage a lot of remote linux/unix machines that
    > way.

    Thanks David,

    I'm not sure how to do that. I use putty to get a console from doze; but
    I don't know how to get the gui.

    I'll look into it.

    Thanks,

    Frank

  17. Re: No vncserver for 2008.1?

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 16:07:54 GMT
    Frank Dreyfus wrote:

    > David Mathog wrote in
    >
    > > Why not use ssh? Tunnel X11 over that and you get full GUI access to
    > > the remote machine. I manage a lot of remote linux/unix machines that
    > > way.

    > I'm not sure how to do that. I use putty to get a console from doze; but
    > I don't know how to get the gui. I'll look into it.

    What David is talking about is starting a single GUI application while
    connected over ssh. The application will start on your local X desktop from the
    remote shell session. This does not give you a desktop on the remote PC and it
    does take running something like Cygwin + X on a Windoze box. I do not believe
    simple putty.exe will allow you to do this.

    Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    Got Rute? http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-25465...sbn=0130333514
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/
    Preloaded PCs - eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare

  18. Re: No vncserver for 2008.1?

    ERACC wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 16:07:54 GMT
    > Frank Dreyfus wrote:
    >
    >> David Mathog wrote in
    >>
    >>> Why not use ssh? Tunnel X11 over that and you get full GUI access to
    >>> the remote machine. I manage a lot of remote linux/unix machines that
    >>> way.

    >> I'm not sure how to do that. I use putty to get a console from doze; but
    >> I don't know how to get the gui. I'll look into it.

    > What David is talking about is starting a single GUI application while
    > connected over ssh. The application will start on your local X desktop from the
    > remote shell session. This does not give you a desktop on the remote PC and it
    > does take running something like Cygwin + X on a Windoze box. I do not believe
    > simple putty.exe will allow you to do this.

    Right, putty is not enough, since it is not an X11 server.

    1. Start an X11 server on the windows computer where you will be
    working (I use Starnet X-Win32.)
    2. In putty configure a session at connection -> ssh -> X11 with check
    "Enable X11 forwarding" and "MIT-Magic-cookie-1" checked.
    3. ssh into the linux box using that putty session.

    Display should look something like: localhost:10.0.
    run xclock or something simple. The X11 server may need to be
    configured to accept the local end of the tunnel. If memory serves,
    Starnet just asks once and then remembers. Of course, sending X11 over
    ssh works fine when your local machine is a linux box too.

    Regards.

    David Mathog

+ Reply to Thread