upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200 - Mandriva ; I have installed on my comp dual boot Mandriva free 2008 and windoze XP both work well if you can say windoze work well. anyway I have tried to upgrade 2008 free with a copy of Powerpack 2008 full of ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

  1. upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200

    I have installed on my comp dual boot Mandriva free 2008 and windoze XP
    both work well if you can say windoze work well.
    anyway I have tried to upgrade 2008 free with a copy of Powerpack 2008
    full of a disk from a comp mag.
    An error occurried
    Mounting Partition /dev/hda6 in Dectory /mnt/media/hd3 failed
    can anyone help me out
    thanks
    Chris
    P.S newbee realy wanting to get linux working well so I can leave the
    hold of MS

    PPS sorry to repost but I cant see this in the newsgroup I think my
    thunderbird is playing up

  2. Re: upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 05:18:11 -0400, Chris Taylor wrote:

    > anyway I have tried to upgrade 2008 free with a copy of Powerpack 2008
    > full of a disk from a comp mag.
    > An error occurried
    > Mounting Partition /dev/hda6 in Dectory /mnt/media/hd3 failed

    We need more info. Please post the output of ...
    ls -l /mnt/
    cat /etc/fstab
    df
    mount

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200

    hi David thanks for your reply
    I,m a newbee really to linux can you tell me how to do this?
    chris
    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 05:18:11 -0400, Chris Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> anyway I have tried to upgrade 2008 free with a copy of Powerpack 2008
    >> full of a disk from a comp mag.
    >> An error occurried
    >> Mounting Partition /dev/hda6 in Dectory /mnt/media/hd3 failed

    > We need more info. Please post the output of ...
    > ls -l /mnt/
    > cat /etc/fstab
    > df
    > mount
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 19:11:08 +1000, Chris Taylor wrote:
    > hi David thanks for your reply

    But, your reply is antisocial on Usenet.

    > I,m a newbee really to linux can you tell me how to do this?

    Tell you how to do what? No context, as to exactly what you want to know.

    How you posted is call Top Posting and is antisocial on Usenet.
    You need to change your news reader (Thunderbird in this case) so your
    reply is not at the top of your replies. You might find the setting
    under Options/Tools or Preferences. Since I do not use Thunderbird, I
    have no knowledge where to look. You need to explore all settings of
    tools you use.

    If nothing else, you trim your reply, and put your response under what
    you are responding to. As an example, I'll will trim your reply, place
    your question, and add my response.

    chris
    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 05:18:11 -0400, Chris Taylor wrote:

    > We need more info. Please post the output of ...
    > ls -l /mnt/
    > cat /etc/fstab
    > df
    > mount

    I,m a newbee really to linux can you tell me how to do the above commands?

    See we can tell at a glance where your wheel ran off. :-)

    He gave you four instructions:
    ls -l /mnt/
    cat /etc/fstab
    df
    mount

    What you do is
    o click up a terminal, highlight the command, hit Ctl c,
    (in Thunderbird) or just highlight,
    o click in the terminal,
    o paste the commands, Usually by pressing the
    middle button, on mouse, If you have a mouse with a roller button,
    just press down on the roller. If Two Button Mouse, Pressing both
    buttons at same time is the third button.

    Sometimes someone will show you a command like

    # ls -l /mnt/

    The (#) sign, indicates you need to run the command as root,
    while in a terminal, do a su - root

    If you see a command like

    $ ls -l /mnt/

    You can run the command as a regular user. In either case you run the command
    ls -l /mnt/

    Once you execute the command in a terminal,
    o click/drag the command and results,
    o click in your news reader where you want to place results
    o click the middle button on the mouse.

    Example reply would have something like:

    $ df
    /dev/sda12 11G 9.2G 382M 97% /
    /dev/sdb1 84G 33G 48G 41% /local
    /dev/sda7 13G 2.0G 9.8G 17% /accounts
    /dev/sdb2 12G 414M 11G 4% /spool

    Now you can see I executed the "df" command as a user ($) and see the
    output which are the next 4 lines on my system.
    You would not show /accounts or /spool since I created the partitions
    which are not part of a default installation.

  5. Re: upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200

    Thanks also Bit Twister for your reply
    sorry to offend you but I have been replying to newsgroups now like this
    for about 20 years and sorry to say your the only person that has had a
    problem with it.

    mmm I do this on a duel boot system I have no internet on that computer
    so I will have to retype the results and hope I get them correct
    anyway thanks again

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 19:11:08 +1000, Chris Taylor wrote:
    >> hi David thanks for your reply

    > But, your reply is antisocial on Usenet.
    >
    >> I,m a newbee really to linux can you tell me how to do this?

    > Tell you how to do what? No context, as to exactly what you want to know.
    >
    > How you posted is call Top Posting and is antisocial on Usenet.
    > You need to change your news reader (Thunderbird in this case) so your
    > reply is not at the top of your replies. You might find the setting
    > under Options/Tools or Preferences. Since I do not use Thunderbird, I
    > have no knowledge where to look. You need to explore all settings of
    > tools you use.
    >
    > If nothing else, you trim your reply, and put your response under what
    > you are responding to. As an example, I'll will trim your reply, place
    > your question, and add my response.
    >
    > chris
    >> David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >>> On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 05:18:11 -0400, Chris Taylor wrote:

    >> We need more info. Please post the output of ...
    >> ls -l /mnt/
    >> cat /etc/fstab
    >> df
    >> mount

    > I,m a newbee really to linux can you tell me how to do the above commands?
    >

    > See we can tell at a glance where your wheel ran off. :-)
    >

    > He gave you four instructions:
    > ls -l /mnt/
    > cat /etc/fstab
    > df
    > mount
    >
    > What you do is
    > o click up a terminal, highlight the command, hit Ctl c,
    > (in Thunderbird) or just highlight,
    > o click in the terminal,
    > o paste the commands, Usually by pressing the
    > middle button, on mouse, If you have a mouse with a roller button,
    > just press down on the roller. If Two Button Mouse, Pressing both
    > buttons at same time is the third button.
    >
    > Sometimes someone will show you a command like
    >
    > # ls -l /mnt/
    >
    > The (#) sign, indicates you need to run the command as root,
    > while in a terminal, do a su - root
    >
    > If you see a command like
    >
    > $ ls -l /mnt/
    >
    > You can run the command as a regular user. In either case you run the command
    > ls -l /mnt/
    >
    > Once you execute the command in a terminal,
    > o click/drag the command and results,
    > o click in your news reader where you want to place results
    > o click the middle button on the mouse.
    >

    > Example reply would have something like:
    >
    > $ df
    > /dev/sda12 11G 9.2G 382M 97% /
    > /dev/sdb1 84G 33G 48G 41% /local
    > /dev/sda7 13G 2.0G 9.8G 17% /accounts
    > /dev/sdb2 12G 414M 11G 4% /spool
    >
    > Now you can see I executed the "df" command as a user ($) and see the
    > output which are the next 4 lines on my system.
    > You would not show /accounts or /spool since I created the partitions
    > which are not part of a default installation.

  6. Re: upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200

    do you want the output done from Mandriva 2008 free or can I some how do
    this from Powerpack 2008 remembering that it only gets to the mounting
    partition part of the upgrade.

    Would it be better and safe to new install it.
    as it asks me if I wish to upgrade or new install

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 05:18:11 -0400, Chris Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> anyway I have tried to upgrade 2008 free with a copy of Powerpack 2008
    >> full of a disk from a comp mag.
    >> An error occurried
    >> Mounting Partition /dev/hda6 in Dectory /mnt/media/hd3 failed

    > We need more info. Please post the output of ...
    > ls -l /mnt/
    > cat /etc/fstab
    > df
    > mount
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

  7. Re: upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:23:11 +1000, Chris Taylor wrote:
    > Thanks also Bit Twister for your reply

    Apparently it was a total waste of my time.
    Still top posting and did not trim the reply. :-(

    > sorry to offend you but I have been replying to newsgroups now like this
    > for about 20 years and sorry to say your the only person that has had a
    > problem with it.

    I understand. You do not have time to move the cursor and click to
    time to make the text flow like a normal conversation, fine by me.
    Some busy subject matter expert zipping through the news groups
    has plenty of time to scroll to the bottom, read what has been going
    on then scroll back to the top to see your response.

    No, guessing after about two posts from you, will just kill file your
    problem.

    While waiting for a response, you may want to read

    Snipped everything you should have snipped.
    Why should I bother.

  8. Re: upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:28:35 +1000, Chris Taylor wrote:
    > do you want the output done from Mandriva 2008 free or can I some how do
    > this from Powerpack 2008

    Anytime, you are asked for information, the information has to come
    from the running operation.

    Sometimes you have to pipe the output to a file, copy the file to a
    doze partition, diskette, usb stick and post from a running system.

    You can do that as follows:

    ls -l /mnt/ > results
    cat /etc/fstab >> results
    df >> results
    mount >> results

    Now, results can be cut/pasted into your reply.
    Do not do an attachment.

    It would be considerate if you have to post from a Micro$not OS to do
    the following:

    awk '{print $0 "\r" }' results > results.txt

    Now, results.txt will be usable on a doze OS.

    Since you do NOT feel like following Usenet standards and been doing
    so 20 years, I'll just bow out of this thread and not bother you anymore.

    You have a nice day.

  9. Re: upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200

    Chris Taylor writes:

    >hi David thanks for your reply
    >I,m a newbee really to linux can you tell me how to do this?
    >chris

    Uh, he gave you a list of commands to run from a terminal window. Open a
    terminal window and run all of those commands and post the output. (cut and
    paste, not copying)

    If you do not know how to open a terminal window, there may be a little
    icon on your bar at the bottom that looks like a computer screen. If not,
    click on the yellow star, click on System, and click on TErminals and click
    on one of the terminal.

    >David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 05:18:11 -0400, Chris Taylor wrote:
    >>
    >>> anyway I have tried to upgrade 2008 free with a copy of Powerpack 2008
    >>> full of a disk from a comp mag.
    >>> An error occurried
    >>> Mounting Partition /dev/hda6 in Dectory /mnt/media/hd3 failed

    >> We need more info. Please post the output of ...
    >> ls -l /mnt/
    >> cat /etc/fstab
    >> df
    >> mount
    >>
    >> Regards, Dave Hodgins

  10. Re: upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200

    Bit Twister writes:

    >On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 19:11:08 +1000, Chris Taylor wrote:
    >> hi David thanks for your reply

    >But, your reply is antisocial on Usenet.

    >> I,m a newbee really to linux can you tell me how to do this?

    >Tell you how to do what? No context, as to exactly what you want to know.

    Oh don't be like that. The context is there in the post he copied and did
    not trim exactly so that you got all the context.

    >How you posted is call Top Posting and is antisocial on Usenet.

    Nonesense. There are a few people whose desire for bullying is satisfied by
    making up ruls and telling everyone they are social rules for the net.
    There is nothing wrong with top posting at times. It is far far more
    antisocial to put a one word answer at teh bottom of a 400 line post.

    >You need to change your news reader (Thunderbird in this case) so your
    >reply is not at the top of your replies. You might find the setting
    >under Options/Tools or Preferences. Since I do not use Thunderbird, I
    >have no knowledge where to look. You need to explore all settings of
    >tools you use.

    >If nothing else, you trim your reply, and put your response under what
    >you are responding to. As an example, I'll will trim your reply, place
    >your question, and add my response.

    > chris
    >> David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >>> On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 05:18:11 -0400, Chris Taylor wrote:

    >> We need more info. Please post the output of ...
    >> ls -l /mnt/
    >> cat /etc/fstab
    >> df
    >> mount

    >I,m a newbee really to linux can you tell me how to do the above commands?

    YOU need to change your email software. The convention that the email place
    a > at the front of all quoted lines IS a very very helpful aspect, so you
    can know who said what. YOu did NOT do that. The line above was a quote
    from his email It should have had one ( and in my reply two)> in front.

    >See we can tell at a glance where your wheel ran off. :-)

    >He gave you four instructions:

    >ls -l /mnt/
    >cat /etc/fstab
    >df
    >mount

    And this a quote from the email HE was answering, so it should now have
    three>>>.

    >What you do is
    >o click up a terminal, highlight the command, hit Ctl c,
    > (in Thunderbird) or just highlight,
    >o click in the terminal,
    >o paste the commands, Usually by pressing the
    > middle button, on mouse, If you have a mouse with a roller button,
    > just press down on the roller. If Two Button Mouse, Pressing both
    > buttons at same time is the third button.

    > Sometimes someone will show you a command like

    > # ls -l /mnt/

    > The (#) sign, indicates you need to run the command as root,
    > while in a terminal, do a su - root

    > If you see a command like

    > $ ls -l /mnt/

    > You can run the command as a regular user. In either case you run the command
    > ls -l /mnt/

    > Once you execute the command in a terminal,
    >o click/drag the command and results,
    >o click in your news reader where you want to place results
    >o click the middle button on the mouse.

    >Example reply would have something like:

    >$ df
    >Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    >/dev/sda12 11G 9.2G 382M 97% /
    >/dev/sdb1 84G 33G 48G 41% /local
    >/dev/sda7 13G 2.0G 9.8G 17% /accounts
    >/dev/sdb2 12G 414M 11G 4% /spool

    >Now you can see I executed the "df" command as a user ($) and see the
    >output which are the next 4 lines on my system.
    >You would not show /accounts or /spool since I created the partitions
    >which are not part of a default installation.

  11. Re: upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200

    Chris Taylor writes:

    >do you want the output done from Mandriva 2008 free or can I some how do
    >this from Powerpack 2008 remembering that it only gets to the mounting
    >partition part of the upgrade.

    >Would it be better and safe to new install it.
    >as it asks me if I wish to upgrade or new install

    IF it is a partition on which you have nothing of any importance, you could
    new install it. But upgrade should have worked.

    >David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 05:18:11 -0400, Chris Taylor wrote:
    >>
    >>> anyway I have tried to upgrade 2008 free with a copy of Powerpack 2008
    >>> full of a disk from a comp mag.
    >>> An error occurried
    >>> Mounting Partition /dev/hda6 in Dectory /mnt/media/hd3 failed

    >> We need more info. Please post the output of ...
    >> ls -l /mnt/
    >> cat /etc/fstab
    >> df
    >> mount
    >>
    >> Regards, Dave Hodgins

  12. Re: upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200

    Bit Twister writes:

    >On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:23:11 +1000, Chris Taylor wrote:
    >> Thanks also Bit Twister for your reply

    >Apparently it was a total waste of my time.
    >Still top posting and did not trim the reply. :-(

    Yes, so why do you not get yourself a new hobby, rather than the NETCOP one
    you now have.

    >> sorry to offend you but I have been replying to newsgroups now like this
    >> for about 20 years and sorry to say your the only person that has had a
    >> problem with it.

    >I understand. You do not have time to move the cursor and click to
    >time to make the text flow like a normal conversation, fine by me.
    >Some busy subject matter expert zipping through the news groups
    >has plenty of time to scroll to the bottom, read what has been going
    >on then scroll back to the top to see your response.

    >No, guessing after about two posts from you, will just kill file your
    >problem.

    >While waiting for a response, you may want to read
    >http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    >Snipped everything you should have snipped.
    >Why should I bother.

    Agreed. Don't bother. It will save all of us time.

  13. [OT] Re: upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 15:42:40 GMT, Unruh wrote:
    > Bit Twister writes:

    >>How you posted is call Top Posting and is antisocial on Usenet.

    > Nonesense. There are a few people whose desire for bullying is satisfied by
    > making up ruls and telling everyone they are social rules for the net.

    Then there are the people trying to provide some information.

    > There is nothing wrong with top posting at times. It is far far more
    > antisocial to put a one word answer at teh bottom of a 400 line post.

    Well there you go, one of the social rules is to trim the post.
    Since you seem to think its
    ok 2 do away with the rules
    it is
    ok by
    me
    as 4 the indention indicators ur
    complaint u
    made u
    might have noticed
    i was just showing how
    his post would have showed up if he had been following the conventions about putting the reply under what he was talking about
    gussing u were really wanting jump on my case
    post was not email as you indicated and
    u already
    indicated as long as every thing is
    in the post it
    is ok for top posting

    I will assume u
    can figure
    out
    where im coming from since
    everything is here sans the other
    conventions
    normally
    used in non-micro$not news
    groups

    u have a good day and feel free to kill file me when u think i am
    being a netcop

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
[...]

  14. Re: upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 15:46:18 +0000, Unruh offered to be helpful with:

    > Yes, so why do you not get yourself a new hobby, rather than the NETCOP
    > one you now have.

    good point...why don't we all just start doing whatever the **** we
    please, whenever the **** we please and everybody else can just **** off
    eh?

    anyone mind if I start top-posting completely off-topic **** about
    anything that strikes my fancy?

  15. [OT] Re: upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200

    Unruh wrote:

    > Bit Twister writes:
    >
    >> How you posted is call Top Posting and is antisocial on Usenet.

    > Nonesense. There are a few people whose desire for bullying is satisfied
    > by making up ruls and telling everyone they are social rules for the net.
    > There is nothing wrong with top posting at times. It is far far more
    > antisocial to put a one word answer at teh bottom of a 400 line post.

    Both are wrong, but I believe Bit has misworded his view, in my humble
    opinion...

    What Bit Twister was trying to convey to the newbie is that in the Western
    world, people read from left to right and from top to bottom. It's a lot
    easier to read what someone has written earier and what the person replying
    to him wrote then, underneath the individual paragraphs.

    Top-posting is considered antisocial by many because of the fact that the
    top-poster shows no consideration for the fact that whomever he seeks help
    from has more than just /his/ post to wade through. Personally I don't
    think top-posting is anti-social - except when it is done on purpose after
    having been asked not to do that - but I rather believe it is just dumb.

    Most of us helpful souls are subscribed to more than one newsgroup and reply
    to more than one post in each newsgroup. As such, having to scroll about
    halfway down the post in order to read what the problem was, and then
    scroll all the way to the top again to read what has been replied to it is
    a waste of precious time, and is also quite unpleasant.

    Either way, the correct way of replying to posts - as well as to e-mails,
    even if most of the people are simply too lazy to even consider it - is to
    reply in an interleaved manner. The original poster should use a
    structured writing style with individual paragraphs - having to read thick
    chunks of continuous text without linebreaks is very hard on the optic
    center of the brain - and the one replying to the original post should use
    a similar writing style and reply underneath each of the original
    paragraphs.

    Non-pertaining paragraphs should be snipped out for brevity and clarity, and
    preferably - although this is not always required - a snip marker such as
    "[...]" or "" should be inserted where appropriate.

    I'm sure you know all of the above, Bill. I'm just repeating it here for
    the sake of the original poster. He may not have understood Bit's sarcasm.

    People posting replies on Usenet should think a little more about those
    reading and replying to their posts than about what the easiest way to post
    is for themselves. It really is no hard labor to press down on the arrow
    keys and move that cursor down to underneath a paragraph one wants to reply
    to.

    Anyway, I'm not looking for a flamewar, so I'm getting off of my beercase
    again now. ;-)

    --
    Aragorn
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  16. Re: upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200

    mister b writes:

    >On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 15:46:18 +0000, Unruh offered to be helpful with:

    >> Yes, so why do you not get yourself a new hobby, rather than the NETCOP
    >> one you now have.

    >good point...why don't we all just start doing whatever the **** we
    >please, whenever the **** we please and everybody else can just **** off
    >eh?

    >anyone mind if I start top-posting completely off-topic **** about
    >anything that strikes my fancy?

    Apparently you have already started.

  17. Re: [OT] Re: upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200

    Aragorn writes:

    >Unruh wrote:

    >> Bit Twister writes:
    >>
    >>> How you posted is call Top Posting and is antisocial on Usenet.

    >> Nonesense. There are a few people whose desire for bullying is satisfied
    >> by making up ruls and telling everyone they are social rules for the net.
    >> There is nothing wrong with top posting at times. It is far far more
    >> antisocial to put a one word answer at teh bottom of a 400 line post.

    >Both are wrong, but I believe Bit has misworded his view, in my humble
    >opinion...

    >What Bit Twister was trying to convey to the newbie is that in the Western
    >world, people read from left to right and from top to bottom. It's a lot
    >easier to read what someone has written earier and what the person replying
    >to him wrote then, underneath the individual paragraphs.

    Do you see those little marks at the left edge of the line? They indicate
    the quoting level. Ie many marks is earlier than fewer. It is very easy to
    keep a conversation straight.
    If you interleave the answers that is far far more "nontraditional" as far
    as western reading is concerned than top posting. Top posting is like
    answering a letter by clipping the old letter to the back of the new one.
    One never answers a letter by tearing the old one into little pieces and
    then interleaving the new one between those pieces.

    >Top-posting is considered antisocial by many because of the fact that the
    >top-poster shows no consideration for the fact that whomever he seeks help
    >from has more than just /his/ post to wade through. Personally I don't
    >think top-posting is anti-social - except when it is done on purpose after
    >having been asked not to do that - but I rather believe it is just dumb.

    So having to wade through acres of old garbage to find the one line that
    the person has added is better? Or having him snip the post so that all
    context is lost?

    >Most of us helpful souls are subscribed to more than one newsgroup and reply
    >to more than one post in each newsgroup. As such, having to scroll about
    >halfway down the post in order to read what the problem was, and then
    >scroll all the way to the top again to read what has been replied to it is
    >a waste of precious time, and is also quite unpleasant.

    Uh, some of us, even though we are over 60, have a memory that lasts long
    enough to remember the answer while looking for the questions. If I need to
    find the question, it is attached.

    >Either way, the correct way of replying to posts - as well as to e-mails,
    >even if most of the people are simply too lazy to even consider it - is to
    >reply in an interleaved manner. The original poster should use a
    >structured writing style with individual paragraphs - having to read thick
    >chunks of continuous text without linebreaks is very hard on the optic
    >center of the brain - and the one replying to the original post should use
    >a similar writing style and reply underneath each of the original
    >paragraphs.

    I do not mind that. I do not mind how they answer unless they interleave
    their answer with acres of political diatribes.

    >Non-pertaining paragraphs should be snipped out for brevity and clarity, and
    >preferably - although this is not always required - a snip marker such as
    >"[...]" or "" should be inserted where appropriate.

    Except that what is pertinant may not be obvious to the snipper. I have
    seen too many posts where only what was pertinant was left-- half a
    sentence
    "Post the output to ls"
    and then 10 lines of output, except I have no idea why he did that or what
    it was suggested. Memory is cheap. I would rather have them leave in stuff
    they consider irelevant which may be crucial to me understanding.

    >I'm sure you know all of the above, Bill. I'm just repeating it here for
    >the sake of the original poster. He may not have understood Bit's sarcasm.

    >People posting replies on Usenet should think a little more about those
    >reading and replying to their posts than about what the easiest way to post
    >is for themselves. It really is no hard labor to press down on the arrow
    >keys and move that cursor down to underneath a paragraph one wants to reply
    >to.

    >Anyway, I'm not looking for a flamewar, so I'm getting off of my beercase
    >again now. ;-)

    >--
    >Aragorn
    >(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  18. Re: upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200

    Unruh wrote:
    > Bit Twister writes:
    >
    >> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:23:11 +1000, Chris Taylor wrote:
    >>> Thanks also Bit Twister for your reply

    >> Apparently it was a total waste of my time.
    >> Still top posting and did not trim the reply. :-(

    > Yes, so why do you not get yourself a new hobby, rather than the NETCOP one
    > you now have.

    It does seem to me we have been down this road before.
    IIRC, there was mention by several pricipal contributors
    of solutions that they scanned dozens of newsgroups, and
    bottom-posting, trimming where appropriate, and such made
    it much easier for them to assess and reply to problems.
    One scanned not far from 200 groups.

    They did not have time to screw around with scrolling up
    and down and reading back in threads. If it was not
    cogently presented, it was ignored.

    Of course, if someone wanting help does not want or need
    help from such, he is quite welcome to go to some other
    forum where his style will not be criticized. Or he can
    post here, and see what response he gets.

    To actually address the OP's problem, I concur that
    the partition should have mounted. But I will be busy
    fattening my killfile during the next few minutes, so
    don't hold your breath waiting for a list of things I
    think might help solve the problem.

    No cheers.

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  19. Re: [OT] Re: upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200

    Unruh wrote:

    > Aragorn writes:
    >
    >> What Bit Twister was trying to convey to the newbie is that in the
    >> Western world, people read from left to right and from top to bottom.
    >> It's a lot easier to read what someone has written earier and what the
    >> person replying to him wrote then, underneath the individual paragraphs.

    > Do you see those little marks at the left edge of the line? They indicate
    > the quoting level. Ie many marks is earlier than fewer. It is very easy to
    > keep a conversation straight.

    Not necessarily so, if you're dealing with multiple paragraphs.

    > If you interleave the answers that is far far more "nontraditional" as far
    > as western reading is concerned than top posting. Top posting is like
    > answering a letter by clipping the old letter to the back of the new one.

    Like I said, it might be "easier" from the point of view of the poster, but
    the poster should also think about the recipient. It's a two-way street,
    Bill.

    > One never answers a letter by tearing the old one into little pieces and
    > then interleaving the new one between those pieces.

    That's because that was neither practical nor intuitive at the time of snail
    mail.

    >> Top-posting is considered antisocial by many because of the fact that the
    >> top-poster shows no consideration for the fact that whomever he seeks
    >> help from has more than just /his/ post to wade through. Personally I
    >> don't think top-posting is anti-social - except when it is done on
    >> purpose after having been asked not to do that - but I rather believe it
    >> is just dumb.

    > So having to wade through acres of old garbage to find the one line that
    > the person has added is better? Or having him snip the post so that all
    > context is lost?

    No, I believe the context should be left in, but that the irrelevant stuff
    should be snipped out, and that interleaved replies are the best form of
    communication on Usenet, or in any mailing list, where multiple individuals
    participate in a conversation about the same topic.

    >> Most of us helpful souls are subscribed to more than one newsgroup and
    >> reply to more than one post in each newsgroup. As such, having to scroll
    >> about halfway down the post in order to read what the problem was, and
    >> then scroll all the way to the top again to read what has been replied to
    >> it is a waste of precious time, and is also quite unpleasant.

    > Uh, some of us, even though we are over 60, have a memory that lasts long
    > enough to remember the answer while looking for the questions.

    That's nonsensical. If you remember the answer, then that means you already
    know the question, and thus you don't have to look for the question
    anymore.

    The point is that most of us see *loads* of posts and questions every day,
    and when coming back to a thread that you've previously participated in, it
    might take you some time to remember what it was about if you can't
    immediately make out the logic in the chaotic style of replying.

    > If I need to find the question, it is attached.

    Well, okay then, so you have no problem with top-posted replies. But that
    doesn't mean that nobody else does, and the general consensus on Usenet
    seems to be that in the majority of technical groups, top-posting is
    considered undesired.

    I didn't invent the rules. I just happen to agree with them. You should be
    glad about that, because I rarely do.

    >>Either way, the correct way of replying to posts - as well as to e-mails,
    >>even if most of the people are simply too lazy to even consider it - is to
    >>reply in an interleaved manner. The original poster should use a
    >>structured writing style with individual paragraphs - having to read thick
    >>chunks of continuous text without linebreaks is very hard on the optic
    >>center of the brain - and the one replying to the original post should use
    >>a similar writing style and reply underneath each of the original
    >>paragraphs.

    > I do not mind that. I do not mind how they answer unless they interleave
    > their answer with acres of political diatribes.

    Then snip that out. Nobody says that you have to reply to it. Nobody says
    you have to read it. Nobody even says that you have to reply to any post
    at all.

    After all, that is *your* freedom. You choose to reply, or you choose not
    to reply. You choose to read the post, or you choose not to read the post.

    On the other hand, politics - in the broader sense of the word - have their
    place in every context where humans have to interact with eachother, and a
    few references here and there are harmless.

    >> Non-pertaining paragraphs should be snipped out for brevity and clarity,
    >> and preferably - although this is not always required - a snip marker
    >> such as "[...]" or "" should be inserted where appropriate.

    > Except that what is pertinant may not be obvious to the snipper. I have
    > seen too many posts where only what was pertinant was left-- half a
    > sentence
    > "Post the output to ls"
    > and then 10 lines of output, except I have no idea why he did that or what
    > it was suggested. Memory is cheap. I would rather have them leave in stuff
    > they consider irelevant which may be crucial to me understanding.

    I agree that there may be difficulties in considering what is relevant and
    what isn't. In such cases, if I'm the first one to reply to a post - or
    shall I say "if I am a first-level replier" - then I tend to leave in most
    of the output, or I will snip a little and comment on why I chose to snip
    it.

    That way the OP already has a clue on the relevance of the data he provided,
    and that also helps him to understand the problem he's experiencing.
    Helping someone out is one thing, but it's even better if you manage to
    teach them something while you're at it.

    --
    Aragorn
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  20. Re: [OT] Re: upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200

    Unruh wrote:

    > Aragorn writes:

    [snip]
    >>Non-pertaining paragraphs should be snipped out for brevity and
    >>clarity, and preferably - although this is not always required - a
    >>snip marker such as "[...]" or "" should be inserted where
    >>appropriate.

    > Except that what is pertinant may not be obvious to the snipper. I
    > have seen too many posts where only what was pertinant was left--
    > half a sentence
    > "Post the output to ls"
    > and then 10 lines of output, except I have no idea why he did that
    > or what it was suggested. Memory is cheap. I would rather have them
    > leave in stuff they consider irelevant which may be crucial to me
    > understanding.

    [snip]

    If you think that something has been over aggressively trimmed
    you can say so. If anyone is desperate to see the whole of the
    preceding article they can go "back".

    --
    Peter D.
    Sig goes here...