upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200 - Mandriva ; Aragorn writes: >> >> Uh, some of us, even though we are over 60, have a memory that lasts long >> enough to remember the answer while looking for the questions. >That's nonsensical. If you remember the answer, then that ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 38 of 38

  1. Re: [OT] Re: upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200

    Aragorn writes:

    >> Uh, some of us, even though we are over 60, have a memory that lasts long
    >> enough to remember the answer while looking for the questions.

    >That's nonsensical. If you remember the answer, then that means you already
    >know the question, and thus you don't have to look for the question
    >anymore.

    Wow. You must be terrible at reading detective fiction, or any fiction. You
    have to remember way into the future little things that occured in the past
    that may have seemed nonsensical then. It is not hard to rememeber the gist
    even if you do not know the context.

    >The point is that most of us see *loads* of posts and questions every day,
    >and when coming back to a thread that you've previously participated in, it
    >might take you some time to remember what it was about if you can't
    >immediately make out the logic in the chaotic style of replying.

    Chaotic? Interleaving is chaotic. top posting is well ordered.

    >> If I need to find the question, it is attached.

    >Well, okay then, so you have no problem with top-posted replies. But that
    >doesn't mean that nobody else does, and the general consensus on Usenet
    >seems to be that in the majority of technical groups, top-posting is
    >considered undesired.

    Ah, you mean not all people are the same. There is no "general consensus"
    There are people. You have the perfect right to say that you do not happen
    to like top posting. What you do not have the right to do is to make up
    rules and tell people that because you do not like something it is
    universal rule that all others must follow. Tolerance.

    >I didn't invent the rules. I just happen to agree with them. You should be
    >glad about that, because I rarely do.

    But there are no rules. You are simply projecting your own likes and
    dislikes onto the universe.

    >Then snip that out. Nobody says that you have to reply to it. Nobody says
    >you have to read it. Nobody even says that you have to reply to any post
    >at all.

    Agreed. So why are you trying to invent rules to force others to do things
    your way. Just don't read them. Or you can even say that you would prefer
    things a certain way. Just don't pretend that the other side has violated
    some Natural Law by doing things in a way you do not like.

  2. Re: [OT] Re: upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200

    http://blinkynet.net/comp/toppost.html

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  3. Re: upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200

    no such thin as internet standards or rules as you say just your own
    love of yourself must be great to be the only selfcented person around

  4. Upgrade Mandriva 2008.0 free to Powerpack 2008

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 05:18:11 -0400, Chris Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> anyway I have tried to upgrade 2008 free with a copy of Powerpack 2008
    >> full of a disk from a comp mag.
    >> An error occurried
    >> Mounting Partition /dev/hda6 in Dectory /mnt/media/hd3 failed

    > We need more info. Please post the output of ...
    > ls -l /mnt/
    > cat /etc/fstab
    > df
    > mount
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    disk/
    install/
    /dev/hdb1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
    /dev/hdb6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/hdb5 swap swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda1 /media/hd ntfs umask=0022,nls=utf8,sync,ro 0 0
    /dev/hda5 /media/hd2 ntfs umask=0022,nls=utf8,sync,ro 0 0
    /dev/hda6 /media/hd3 vfat
    umask=0022,users,iocharset=utf8,sync,noauto,exec 0 0
    /dev/hdb1 on / type ext3 (rw)
    none on /proc type proc (rw)
    /dev/hdb6 on /home type ext3 (rw)
    /dev/hda1 on /media/hd type ntfs (ro,sync,umask=0022,nls=utf8)
    /dev/hda5 on /media/hd2 type ntfs (ro,sync,umask=0022,nls=utf8)
    none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)

    I hope one day I will know what all this means

  5. Re: upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 19:36:26 +1000, Chris Taylor wrote:

    > no such thin as internet standards or rules as you say

    wrong...you may now resume playing your favourite killing "game"

  6. Re: Upgrade Mandriva 2008.0 free to Powerpack 2008

    Chris Taylor wrote:
    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 05:18:11 -0400, Chris Taylor
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> anyway I have tried to upgrade 2008 free with a copy of Powerpack 2008
    >>> full of a disk from a comp mag.
    >>> An error occurried
    >>> Mounting Partition /dev/hda6 in Dectory /mnt/media/hd3 failed

    >> We need more info. Please post the output of ...
    >> ls -l /mnt/
    >> cat /etc/fstab
    >> df
    >> mount
    >>
    >> Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >>

    > disk/
    > install/
    > /dev/hdb1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
    > /dev/hdb6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
    > none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    > /dev/hdb5 swap swap defaults 0 0
    > /dev/hda1 /media/hd ntfs umask=0022,nls=utf8,sync,ro 0 0
    > /dev/hda5 /media/hd2 ntfs umask=0022,nls=utf8,sync,ro 0 0
    > /dev/hda6 /media/hd3 vfat
    > umask=0022,users,iocharset=utf8,sync,noauto,exec 0 0
    > /dev/hdb1 on / type ext3 (rw)
    > none on /proc type proc (rw)
    > /dev/hdb6 on /home type ext3 (rw)
    > /dev/hda1 on /media/hd type ntfs (ro,sync,umask=0022,nls=utf8)
    > /dev/hda5 on /media/hd2 type ntfs (ro,sync,umask=0022,nls=utf8)
    > none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
    >
    > I hope one day I will know what all this means

    The command
    ls -l /mnt/
    lists the contents of the directory /mnt/ in a long format, cf. the command
    man ls
    or open man:// in konqueror and look for ls

    You would want to know what is in /mnt because the error messages says
    you have an error when trying to mount a partition under there.

    In this case, you have subdirectorues disk and install under mnt, and no
    directory /mnt/media which is possibly the cause of the error.

    The file /etc/fstab is the File System Table for your system. It lists
    whe places where devices (hard drive partitions, USB keys, whatever)
    should be mounted. It says that /dev/hda6 should be mounted on the
    directory /media/hd3 and should contain a FAT-32 (vfat) filesystem.

    The df command lists how much space is available on each mounted
    partition. I don't see that in what you posted. Perhaps nothing is
    mounted? Surely at least / must be mounted somewhere...

    The mount command lists all partitions that are mounted, and says what
    they are mounted on. Again, you don't seem to have posted anything from
    this command.

    If any of the experts here are still listening, perhaps one of them will
    give the *correct* way to fix this. Maybe fstab needs to be fixed, maybe
    you need to configure something else to create the /mnt/media/hd3
    directory, maybe it shouldn't get mounted there at all. Why is it trying
    to go into /mnt/media/hd3 and not /media/hd3? I don't know. Have to wait
    for a knowledgeable person, but they are not paid for sharing their
    information, and are under no obligation to do so. Be nice, and maybe
    one of them will help.

    Cheers

    Frank

  7. Re: Upgrade Mandriva 2008.0 free to Powerpack 2008

    Chris Taylor writes:

    >David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 05:18:11 -0400, Chris Taylor wrote:
    >>
    >>> anyway I have tried to upgrade 2008 free with a copy of Powerpack 2008
    >>> full of a disk from a comp mag.
    >>> An error occurried
    >>> Mounting Partition /dev/hda6 in Dectory /mnt/media/hd3 failed

    >> We need more info. Please post the output of ...
    >> ls -l /mnt/
    >> cat /etc/fstab
    >> df
    >> mount

    Well, it would have been nice to at least put an blank line between them so
    we knwo which is which, but I guess I can figure it out.

    >disk/
    >install/

    >/dev/hdb1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
    >/dev/hdb6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
    >none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    >/dev/hdb5 swap swap defaults 0 0
    >/dev/hda1 /media/hd ntfs umask=0022,nls=utf8,sync,ro 0 0
    >/dev/hda5 /media/hd2 ntfs umask=0022,nls=utf8,sync,ro 0 0
    >/dev/hda6 /media/hd3 vfat umask=0022,users,iocharset=utf8,sync,noauto,exec 0 0

    Aand you forgot the output of
    df

    >/dev/hdb1 on / type ext3 (rw)
    >none on /proc type proc (rw)
    >/dev/hdb6 on /home type ext3 (rw)
    >/dev/hda1 on /media/hd type ntfs (ro,sync,umask=0022,nls=utf8)
    >/dev/hda5 on /media/hd2 type ntfs (ro,sync,umask=0022,nls=utf8)
    >none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)

    These all look fine. Not sure why it is having trouble with hda6
    unless /media/hd3 does not exist.

    try
    mkdir /media/hd3
    as root.

    >I hope one day I will know what all this means

  8. Re: Upgrade Mandriva 2008.0 free to Powerpack 2008

    Frank Peelo writes:

    >Chris Taylor wrote:
    >> David W. Hodgins wrote:

    >>> We need more info. Please post the output of ...
    >>> ls -l /mnt/
    >>> cat /etc/fstab
    >>> df
    >>> mount
    >>>
    >>> Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >>>

    >> disk/
    >> install/
    >> /dev/hdb1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
    >> /dev/hdb6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
    >> none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    >> /dev/hdb5 swap swap defaults 0 0
    >> /dev/hda1 /media/hd ntfs umask=0022,nls=utf8,sync,ro 0 0
    >> /dev/hda5 /media/hd2 ntfs umask=0022,nls=utf8,sync,ro 0 0
    >> /dev/hda6 /media/hd3 vfat
    >> umask=0022,users,iocharset=utf8,sync,noauto,exec 0 0
    >> /dev/hdb1 on / type ext3 (rw)
    >> none on /proc type proc (rw)
    >> /dev/hdb6 on /home type ext3 (rw)
    >> /dev/hda1 on /media/hd type ntfs (ro,sync,umask=0022,nls=utf8)
    >> /dev/hda5 on /media/hd2 type ntfs (ro,sync,umask=0022,nls=utf8)
    >> none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
    >>
    >> I hope one day I will know what all this means

    >The command
    > ls -l /mnt/
    >lists the contents of the directory /mnt/ in a long format, cf. the command
    > man ls
    >or open man:// in konqueror and look for ls

    >You would want to know what is in /mnt because the error messages says
    >you have an error when trying to mount a partition under there.

    >In this case, you have subdirectorues disk and install under mnt, and no
    >directory /mnt/media which is possibly the cause of the error.

    >The file /etc/fstab is the File System Table for your system. It lists
    >whe places where devices (hard drive partitions, USB keys, whatever)
    >should be mounted. It says that /dev/hda6 should be mounted on the
    >directory /media/hd3 and should contain a FAT-32 (vfat) filesystem.

    >The df command lists how much space is available on each mounted
    >partition. I don't see that in what you posted. Perhaps nothing is
    >mounted? Surely at least / must be mounted somewhere...

    >The mount command lists all partitions that are mounted, and says what
    >they are mounted on. Again, you don't seem to have posted anything from
    >this command.

    >If any of the experts here are still listening, perhaps one of them will
    >give the *correct* way to fix this. Maybe fstab needs to be fixed, maybe
    >you need to configure something else to create the /mnt/media/hd3
    >directory, maybe it shouldn't get mounted there at all. Why is it trying
    >to go into /mnt/media/hd3 and not /media/hd3? I don't know. Have to wait
    >for a knowledgeable person, but they are not paid for sharing their
    >information, and are under no obligation to do so. Be nice, and maybe
    >one of them will help.

    I think that may be an installation thing-- it mounts the old disks under
    mnt. (Ie, it mounts the root filesystem, / onto /mnt so it can work on
    it.)This suggests that /media/hd3 is missing in his system

    ls -l /media
    would show what is there.

    as root
    mkdir /media/hd3
    may be all he needs.

  9. Re: Upgrade Mandriva 2008.0 free to Powerpack 2008

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 05:52:45 -0400, Chris Taylor wrote:

    > /dev/hda6 /media/hd3 vfat
    > umask=0022,users,iocharset=utf8,sync,noauto,exec 0 0

    I see the above filesystem is not being mounted, during normal
    operation.

    Does the directory /media/hd3 exist? What happens if you try
    "mount /media/hd3"?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  10. Re: upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200

    Chris Taylor wrote:

    > no such thin as internet standards or rules as you say just your own
    > love of yourself must be great to be the only selfcented person around

    You are needlessly insulting one of the most helpful people on this
    newsgroup, and you're making an even bigger fool of yourself in the process
    by doing it by omitting an initial capital, misspelling words and omitting
    punctuation. My dyslexic niece can do better than that.

    Never thought I'd have to set up a /killfile/ again so soon after my return
    to this group from a long break, but you have now earned yourself the honor
    of being the first guest of */dev/null* on my system. The rule will expire
    in 30 days.

    --
    Aragorn
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  11. Re: upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200

    On 2008-04-23, Aragorn wrote:
    > Chris Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> no such thin as internet standards or rules as you say just your own
    >> love of yourself must be great to be the only selfcented person around

    > You are needlessly insulting one of the most helpful people on this
    > newsgroup, and you're making an even bigger fool of yourself in the process
    > by doing it by omitting an initial capital, misspelling words and omitting
    > punctuation. My dyslexic niece can do better than that.
    >
    > Never thought I'd have to set up a /killfile/ again so soon after my return
    > to this group from a long break, but you have now earned yourself the honor
    > of being the first guest of */dev/null* on my system. The rule will expire
    > in 30 days.

    I'll second that.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  12. Re: Upgrade Mandriva 2008.0 free to Powerpack 2008

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 05:52:45 -0400, Chris Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> /dev/hda6 /media/hd3 vfat
    >> umask=0022,users,iocharset=utf8,sync,noauto,exec 0 0

    > I see the above filesystem is not being mounted, during normal
    > operation.
    >
    > Does the directory /media/hd3 exist? What happens if you try
    > "mount /media/hd3"?
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Don't know if it makes a difference but Mandriva 2008.0 free works fine

  13. Re: Upgrade Mandriva 2008.0 free to Powerpack 2008

    Unruh wrote:
    > Frank Peelo writes:
    >

    >>Chris Taylor wrote:

    >>If any of the experts here are still listening, perhaps one of them will
    >>give the *correct* way to fix this. Maybe fstab needs to be fixed, maybe
    >>you need to configure something else to create the /mnt/media/hd3
    >>directory, maybe it shouldn't get mounted there at all. Why is it trying
    >>to go into /mnt/media/hd3 and not /media/hd3? I don't know. Have to wait
    >>for a knowledgeable person, but they are not paid for sharing their
    >>information, and are under no obligation to do so. Be nice, and maybe
    >>one of them will help.

    > I think that may be an installation thing-- it mounts the old disks under
    > mnt. (Ie, it mounts the root filesystem, / onto /mnt so it can work on
    > it.)This suggests that /media/hd3 is missing in his system
    >
    > ls -l /media
    > would show what is there.
    >
    > as root
    > mkdir /media/hd3
    > may be all he needs.

    Well, the error message said /mnt/media/hd3 and not /media/hd3, assuming
    the OP transcribed it properly. Apart from that, creating the directory
    would be the first thing I would try, but I don't know that it's the
    correct thing to do. For example, I know that when I plug in a USB key,
    Mandriva makes a directory under /media, automatically. If he's missing
    a directory, maybe it indicates something else is misconfigured and
    making the directory is just treating a symptom rather than fixing the
    problem.

    So I'd defer to people like yourself, or Bit Twister, or any of a bunch
    of knowledgable people here. But information here is a free gift; by not
    being nice to the regulars here, the OP may have reduced his chances of
    getting valuable information, with no obvious benefit to himself.

    Frank

  14. Re: upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200

    mister b wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 19:36:26 +1000, Chris Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> no such thin as internet standards or rules as you say

    > wrong...you may now resume playing your favourite killing "game"

    go download your rules love to see them Mister b or is it Mrs b

  15. Re: upgrade Mandriva 2008 free to Powerpack 200

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 22:43:45 +1000, Chris Taylor wrote:

    shouldn't you be spending your time in a Windows group?

    *plonk*

  16. Re: Upgrade Mandriva 2008.0 free to Powerpack 2008

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 08:19:39 -0400, Frank Peelo wrote:

    > Well, the error message said /mnt/media/hd3 and not /media/hd3, assuming

    As it's happening during the upgrade from 2008.0 free to 2008.0 PowerPack,
    I gather the install routine is mounting the root filesystem on /mnt,
    and then mounting each of the file systems in /mnt/etc/fstab on their
    normal mount points, under /mnt.

    As /media/hd3 is not being automounted during normal use, I suspect the
    mountpoint, directory /media/hd3 does not exist.

    I think it's a problem with the install routine, in that it shouldn't be
    trying to mount a filesystem that has noauto, but given that it apparently
    is, the easiest way to fix it, would be to create the directory, and test
    it by manually mounting the filesystem.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  17. Re: Upgrade Mandriva 2008.0 free to Powerpack 2008

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 08:19:39 -0400, Frank Peelo wrote:
    >
    >> Well, the error message said /mnt/media/hd3 and not /media/hd3, assuming

    > As it's happening during the upgrade from 2008.0 free to 2008.0 PowerPack,
    > I gather the install routine is mounting the root filesystem on /mnt,
    > and then mounting each of the file systems in /mnt/etc/fstab on their
    > normal mount points, under /mnt.
    >
    > As /media/hd3 is not being automounted during normal use, I suspect the
    > mountpoint, directory /media/hd3 does not exist.
    >
    > I think it's a problem with the install routine, in that it shouldn't be
    > trying to mount a filesystem that has noauto, but given that it apparently
    > is, the easiest way to fix it, would be to create the directory, and test
    > it by manually mounting the filesystem.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    thanks Dave
    I was not questioning your answer just trying to remind your of details
    make sure we working on same line or output
    Chris
    PS thanks for all your help and time

  18. Re: Upgrade Mandriva 2008.0 free to Powerpack 2008

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 05:33:38 -0400, Chris Taylor wrote:

    > Don't know if it makes a difference but Mandriva 2008.0 free works fine

    Ary you saying the directory /media/hd3 does exist, and you can mount
    it in 2008.0?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2