Cannot play .wav sound files - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Cannot play .wav sound files - Mandriva ; Mandriva 2008.1 (x86_64) Hi, Ever since I upgraded to 2008.1, I can no longer play .wav files--no matter what player I use, e.g. VLC, Amarok, Mplayer, etc..... I have tried troubleshooting but am at a loss to find a solution. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. Cannot play .wav sound files

    Mandriva 2008.1 (x86_64)

    Hi,

    Ever since I upgraded to 2008.1, I can no longer play .wav files--no
    matter what player I use, e.g. VLC, Amarok, Mplayer, etc.....

    I have tried troubleshooting but am at a loss to find a solution.

    Here is the basic setup:

    $ lspcidrake -v | fgrep -i AUDIO
    snd_hda_intel : Intel Corporation|82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
    Controller (vendor:8086 device:284b subv:17aa subd:20ac)

    $ grep sound-slot /etc/modprobe.conf
    alias sound-slot-0 snd_hda_intel

    [For background:
    I was having problems with sound and getting the following error message
    on boot (I must have messed something up trying to troubleshoot/re-
    configure sound):

    Error while initializing the sound driver:
    device: default can't be opened for playback (Invalid argument)
    The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

    So, to resolve that error I disabled PulseAudio and Automatic routing
    from ALSA to Pulse Audio and Enable 5.1 sound with PulseAudio.

    That made the boot error above go away (but I don't know if disabling the
    Pulse options was correct.)]

    Any suggestions as to how to be able to play wav files?

    Perhaps I need codecs...?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Cannot play .wav sound files

    A bit more info:

    It appears that it is not my entire system which cannot play wav files
    but some apps like Thunderbird. Firefox, etc.

    XXMS, VLC can play them; Kaffein very poorly.

    I must be related to how Mandriva 2008.1 / KDE and /or programs such as
    Firefox/Thunderbird, etc. interact.

    How to troubleshoot and fix then...?

  3. Re: Cannot play .wav sound files

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 21:38:13 GMT, stef wrote:

    > I must be related to how Mandriva 2008.1 / KDE and /or programs such as
    > Firefox/Thunderbird, etc. interact.

    Not those programs on my -free install and I am running pulse audio.
    All the above work for me. Since I run firefox and thunderbird under
    different login accounts, I have very one in the Audio group.

    $ cat /etc/release

    $ lspcidrake -v | fgrep -i AUDIO
    snd_atiixp : ATI Technologies Inc|IXP SB400 AC'97 Audio
    Controller [MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO] (vendor:1002 device:4370 subv:103c subd:2a25)

  4. Re: Cannot play .wav sound files

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 22:47:57 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 21:38:13 GMT, stef wrote:
    >
    >> I must be related to how Mandriva 2008.1 / KDE and /or programs such as
    >> Firefox/Thunderbird, etc. interact.

    > Not those programs on my -free install and I am running pulse audio. All
    > the above work for me. Since I run firefox and thunderbird under
    > different login accounts, I have very one in the Audio group.
    >
    > $ cat /etc/release
    > Mandriva Linux release 2008.1 (Official) for i586
    >
    > $ lspcidrake -v | fgrep -i AUDIO
    > snd_atiixp : ATI Technologies Inc|IXP SB400 AC'97 Audio Controller
    > [MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO] (vendor:1002 device:4370 subv:103c subd:2a25)

    So where can I look to troubleshoot?

  5. Re: Cannot play .wav sound files

    stef wrote:

    > Mandriva 2008.1 (x86_64)
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > Ever since I upgraded to 2008.1, I can no longer play .wav files--no
    > matter what player I use, e.g. VLC, Amarok, Mplayer, etc.....
    >
    > I have tried troubleshooting but am at a loss to find a solution.
    >
    > Here is the basic setup:
    >
    > $ lspcidrake -v | fgrep -i AUDIO
    > snd_hda_intel : Intel Corporation|82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
    > Controller (vendor:8086 device:284b subv:17aa subd:20ac)
    >
    > $ grep sound-slot /etc/modprobe.conf
    > alias sound-slot-0 snd_hda_intel
    >
    > [For background:
    > I was having problems with sound and getting the following error message
    > on boot (I must have messed something up trying to troubleshoot/re-
    > configure sound):
    >
    > Error while initializing the sound driver:
    > device: default can't be opened for playback (Invalid argument)
    > The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
    >
    > So, to resolve that error I disabled PulseAudio and Automatic routing
    > from ALSA to Pulse Audio and Enable 5.1 sound with PulseAudio.
    >
    > That made the boot error above go away (but I don't know if disabling the
    > Pulse options was correct.)]
    >
    > Any suggestions as to how to be able to play wav files?
    >
    > Perhaps I need codecs...?
    >
    > Thanks.

    This won't be much help, but I was never able to get my snd_hda_intel :
    Intel Corporation|82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio to work. I built a new Dual
    Core box and it came with that onboard. I finally disabled it and installed
    a C-Media Sound Card and everything has been fine since.

    Sorry and good luck. Let us know if you find a solution to that Intel
    problem.

    Rich

    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  6. Re: Cannot play .wav sound files

    stef writes:

    >Mandriva 2008.1 (x86_64)

    >Hi,

    >Ever since I upgraded to 2008.1, I can no longer play .wav files--no
    >matter what player I use, e.g. VLC, Amarok, Mplayer, etc.....

    >I have tried troubleshooting but am at a loss to find a solution.

    >Here is the basic setup:

    >$ lspcidrake -v | fgrep -i AUDIO
    >snd_hda_intel : Intel Corporation|82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
    >Controller (vendor:8086 device:284b subv:17aa subd:20ac)

    >$ grep sound-slot /etc/modprobe.conf
    >alias sound-slot-0 snd_hda_intel

    >[For background:
    >I was having problems with sound and getting the following error message
    >on boot (I must have messed something up trying to troubleshoot/re-
    >configure sound):

    >Error while initializing the sound driver:
    >device: default can't be opened for playback (Invalid argument)
    >The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

    >So, to resolve that error I disabled PulseAudio and Automatic routing
    >from ALSA to Pulse Audio and Enable 5.1 sound with PulseAudio.

    >That made the boot error above go away (but I don't know if disabling the
    >Pulse options was correct.)]

    >Any suggestions as to how to be able to play wav files?

    Try
    aplay nameof.wav
    If that plays, the problem is not with alsa. If it does not play, the
    problem is with alsa.

    >Perhaps I need codecs...?

    >Thanks.

  7. Re: Cannot play .wav sound files

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 23:55:30 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    > Try
    > aplay nameof.wav
    > If that plays, the problem is not with alsa. If it does not play, the
    > problem is with alsa.

    It plays....

    So what now...? I still thing it is something to do with the interaction
    between KDE, Sound and other programs, etc.....

  8. Re: Cannot play .wav sound files

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 23:21:55 +0000, evodawg wrote:

    > This won't be much help, but I was never able to get my snd_hda_intel
    > : Intel Corporation|82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio to work. I built a new
    > Dual Core box and it came with that onboard. I finally disabled it and
    > installed a C-Media Sound Card and everything has been fine since.
    >
    > Sorry and good luck. Let us know if you find a solution to that Intel
    > problem.
    >
    > Rich

    Rich,

    Thanks for posting--replacing my sound card to out of the question--
    especially when it was working OK with 2008.0--well not at 1st but
    somehow, I managed to make it work at some point....

  9. Re: Cannot play .wav sound files

    stef wrote:

    > On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 23:21:55 +0000, evodawg wrote:
    >
    >> This won't be much help, but I was never able to get my snd_hda_intel
    >> : Intel Corporation|82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio to work. I built a new
    >> Dual Core box and it came with that onboard. I finally disabled it and
    >> installed a C-Media Sound Card and everything has been fine since.
    >>
    >> Sorry and good luck. Let us know if you find a solution to that Intel
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> Rich

    > Rich,
    >
    > Thanks for posting--replacing my sound card to out of the question--
    > especially when it was working OK with 2008.0--well not at 1st but
    > somehow, I managed to make it work at some point....

    Do you remember what you did? I'd be interested in knowing since this sound
    card that's built in, is much better than the C-Media one I bought for
    $10.00 on ebay.
    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  10. Re: Cannot play .wav sound files

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 14:57:07 +0000, evodawg wrote:

    >> Thanks for posting--replacing my sound card is out of the question--
    >> especially when it was working OK with 2008.0--well not at 1st but
    >> somehow, I managed to make it work at some point....

    > Do you remember what you did? I'd be interested in knowing since this
    > sound card that's built in, is much better than the C-Media one I bought
    > for $10.00 on ebay.

    I really don't remember--if I did, I would apply the same solution to my
    2008.1 since it is not working exactly as I'd like....

    IF I do remember or manage to fix the current problem, I'll post it
    here....

  11. Re: Cannot play .wav sound files

    stef writes:

    >On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 23:55:30 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    >> Try
    >> aplay nameof.wav
    >> If that plays, the problem is not with alsa. If it does not play, the
    >> problem is with alsa.

    >It plays....

    Good, you have eliminated one potential problem. alsa is not the problem

    Other suggestions-- do you have the alsa-oss emualtion running. some
    programs demand /dev/dsp to play through. See if
    /dev/dsp
    exists. If it does, try playing through that
    cat .bashrc >/dev/dsp
    and see if sound comes out.

    >So what now...? I still thing it is something to do with the interaction
    >between KDE, Sound and other programs, etc.....

  12. Re: Cannot play .wav sound files

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 16:50:46 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    > Good, you have eliminated one potential problem. alsa is not the problem
    >
    > Other suggestions-- do you have the alsa-oss emualtion running. some
    > programs demand /dev/dsp to play through. See if /dev/dsp
    > exists. If it does, try playing through that cat .bashrc >/dev/dsp
    > and see if sound comes out.

    $ cat .bashrc >/dev/dsp ~/Music/sound528.wav works just fine.

    So what now...? How do I get programs such as Thunderbird and Mozilla,
    etc. to play sound files when they are set in configs...?

    I just can't figure out why it is not working.

    On the other hand, Skype and Pidgin do play sounds....

  13. Re: Cannot play .wav sound files

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 17:26:51 +0000, stef wrote:

    > So what now...? How do I get programs such as Thunderbird and Mozilla,
    > etc. to play sound files when they are set in configs...?

    Don't know if this is related but:

    The $MOZ_PROGRAM $@ is not in the file though so not sure if this applies
    to my situation.

    Perhaps you will be able to better understand it...?

  14. Re: Cannot play .wav sound files

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 16:50:46 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    > Good, you have eliminated one potential problem. alsa is not the problem
    >
    > Other suggestions-- do you have the alsa-oss emualtion running. some
    > programs demand /dev/dsp to play through. See if /dev/dsp
    > exists. If it does, try playing through that cat .bashrc >/dev/dsp
    > and see if sound comes out.
    >

    >>So what now...? I still thing it is something to do with the
    >>interaction between KDE, Sound and other programs, etc.....

    At the moment, Firefox will pay sounds but VERY low volume--Even when I
    have volume set up high.

    Thunderbird--nothing at all...

    Sound seems to be behaving pretty erratically.....

  15. Re: Cannot play .wav sound files

    stef writes:

    >On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 16:50:46 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    >> Good, you have eliminated one potential problem. alsa is not the problem
    >>
    >> Other suggestions-- do you have the alsa-oss emualtion running. some
    >> programs demand /dev/dsp to play through. See if /dev/dsp
    >> exists. If it does, try playing through that cat .bashrc >/dev/dsp
    >> and see if sound comes out.
    >>

    >$ cat .bashrc >/dev/dsp ~/Music/sound528.wav works just fine.

    >So what now...? How do I get programs such as Thunderbird and Mozilla,
    >etc. to play sound files when they are set in configs...?

    OK, it now means that the problem is in Thunderbird and Mozilla. They need
    to call up a sound playing file when called. It is there you need to look.

    >I just can't figure out why it is not working.

    >On the other hand, Skype and Pidgin do play sounds....

  16. Re: Cannot play .wav sound files

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 14:44:58 -0400, stef wrote:

    > Don't know if this is related but:

    Try the fix suggested at the end blog by running ...
    echo "FIREFOX_DSP=auto" >> ~/.mozilla/firefox/rc
    in a konsole.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  17. Re: Cannot play .wav sound files

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 03:36:00 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    > OK, it now means that the problem is in Thunderbird and Mozilla. They ne

    You are probably right....

  18. Re: Cannot play .wav sound files

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:32:35 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 14:44:58 -0400, stef wrote:
    >
    >> Don't know if this is related but:
    >>

    > Try the fix suggested at the end blog by running ... echo
    > "FIREFOX_DSP=auto" >> ~/.mozilla/firefox/rc in a konsole.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Good idea. Will do and post results here.

  19. Re: Cannot play .wav sound files

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:32:35 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > Try the fix suggested at the end blog by running ... echo
    > "FIREFOX_DSP=auto" >> ~/.mozilla/firefox/rc in a konsole.

    No change, regrettably..........

  20. Re: Cannot play .wav sound files

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 23:05:09 -0400, stef wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:32:35 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> Try the fix suggested at the end blog by running ... echo
    >> "FIREFOX_DSP=auto" >> ~/.mozilla/firefox/rc in a konsole.

    > No change, regrettably..........

    I don't normally use firefox, and as I use dialup, I rarely
    try to play .wav files, but when I have the time, I will
    look into this more.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast