Cannot play .wav sound files - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Cannot play .wav sound files - Mandriva ; On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 02:25:58 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote: >> No change, regrettably.......... Seems to be working fine here. Make sure you have the following packages installed ... totem-mozilla totem-mozilla-gstreamer mozplugger Regards, Dave Hodgins -- Change nomail.afraid.org to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: Cannot play .wav sound files

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 02:25:58 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> No change, regrettably..........

    Seems to be working fine here. Make sure you have the following packages installed ...
    totem-mozilla
    totem-mozilla-gstreamer
    mozplugger

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  2. Re: Cannot play .wav sound files

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 16:37:03 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > Seems to be working fine here. Make sure you have the following
    > packages installed ... totem-mozilla
    > totem-mozilla-gstreamer
    > mozplugger
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Dave,

    It's nice of you to keep troubleshooting--I appreciate it.

    I do need to install totem-mozilla and mozplugger.

    Hopefully, it will help.

    I'll come back soon with results.

  3. Re: Cannot play .wav sound files

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 19:32:36 +0000, stef wrote:

    > On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 16:37:03 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >
    >> Seems to be working fine here. Make sure you have the following
    >> packages installed ... totem-mozilla
    >> totem-mozilla-gstreamer
    >> mozplugger
    >>
    >> Regards, Dave Hodgins

    > Dave,
    >
    > It's nice of you to keep troubleshooting--I appreciate it.
    >
    > I do need to install totem-mozilla and mozplugger.
    >
    > Hopefully, it will help.
    >
    > I'll come back soon with results.

    Still no go.....

    In Free 2008.0, the sound came all of a sudden without being able to
    identify what had changed in my system--it may have been by way of an
    upgrade, etc.; I really can't tell.

    It seems the same problem is repeating itself with 2008.1.

    I still have Pulse disabled by the way. Leave it disabled?

  4. Re: Cannot play .wav sound files

    On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 00:46:33 -0400, stef wrote:

    > Still no go.....
    > In Free 2008.0, the sound came all of a sudden without being able to
    > identify what had changed in my system--it may have been by way of an
    > upgrade, etc.; I really can't tell.
    > It seems the same problem is repeating itself with 2008.1.
    > I still have Pulse disabled by the way. Leave it disabled?

    Why did you disable it? Pulseaudio seems to be quite integrated with
    kde and gnome now. Try re-enabling it.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: Cannot play .wav sound files

    On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 12:02:23 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 00:46:33 -0400, stef wrote:
    >
    >> Still no go.....
    >> In Free 2008.0, the sound came all of a sudden without being able to
    >> identify what had changed in my system--it may have been by way of an
    >> upgrade, etc.; I really can't tell.
    >> It seems the same problem is repeating itself with 2008.1. I still have
    >> Pulse disabled by the way. Leave it disabled?

    > Why did you disable it? Pulseaudio seems to be quite integrated with
    > kde and gnome now. Try re-enabling it.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    I was given advice to disable it by others but I believe that it should
    be enabled.

    The only problem is that I don't seem to be able to re-enable it and save
    the settings i.e. make them stick; as the times I do try I get en error
    message that "sound is already being used by such and such process, etc."
    and settings cannot be saved.

    On the times when I did not get the error message, I would get one on
    boot:

    (From earlier in this thread

    [I was having problems with sound and getting the following error message
    on boot (I must have messed something up trying to troubleshoot/re-
    configure sound):

    "Error while initializing the sound driver: device: default can't be
    opened for playback (Invalid argument) The sound server will continue,
    using the null output device."

    So, to resolve that error I disabled PulseAudio and Automatic routing from
    ALSA to Pulse Audio and Enable 5.1 sound with PulseAudio.

    That made the boot error above go away (but I don't know if disabling the
    Pulse options was correct.)]

    Perhaps I should try to do it with X server down--booting in the console
    (level3) but I would not know the command for that.

    OR what is the best way for me to re-enable it using GUI/MCC so that I
    do not get the error message that sound is already being used by other
    PID's and cannot save settings, etc.??

  6. Re: Cannot play .wav sound files

    On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 16:48:12 GMT, stef wrote:

    > [I was having problems with sound and getting the following error message
    > on boot (I must have messed something up trying to troubleshoot/re-
    > configure sound):

    I can relate to that.

    Another poster complained about desktop manager playing a cheese beep
    in the pc speaker instead of playing a sound through the audio subsystem.

    I have just now gotten back to a usable setup after playing around in
    the sound stuff in the KDE Control Center.

    Did not find an immediate solution, and I thought I would log out of
    kde to clean my tmp dir and desktop logs.

    Next startx and desktop would hang, mouse freezing, popup about audio
    overloading cpu, keyboard response went to about a minute delay,....

    After 2'nd startx attempt, after log out/in I logged into my
    "normal user" account. I always create it after a clean install so I
    can verify if a problem is me dinking with bittwister or if it is a
    system problem.

    Every thing work just fine, so I had to move my ~/.kde to .kde_broke
    and start rebuilding my KDE settings. :-(

    I just gotta remember to tar up ~/.kde before trying to help someone
    with a desktop problem. :-(

  7. Re: Cannot play .wav sound files

    On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 17:49:25 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > I just gotta remember to tar up ~/.kde before trying to help someone
    > with a desktop problem. :-(

    That's a good idea.
    I should do that myself....

+ Reply to Thread