video capture problems - Mandriva

This is a discussion on video capture problems - Mandriva ; I keep droping frames when captureing from my dv camara, I have used everything including kdenlive dvgrab and kino but I always loose frames, what gives under 2008 i had no problems why would I be loosing frames now...

  1. video capture problems

    I keep droping frames when captureing from my dv camara, I have used
    everything including kdenlive dvgrab and kino but I always loose frames,
    what gives

    under 2008 i had no problems

    why would I be loosing frames now

  2. Re: video capture problems

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 04:30:20 +0000, chris gareau wrote:

    > I keep droping frames when captureing from my dv camara, I have used
    > everything including kdenlive dvgrab and kino but I always loose frames,
    > what gives
    >
    > under 2008 i had no problems
    >
    > why would I be loosing frames now

    I had the same problem recently with Studio 10 under WinXP.
    First attempt: 500+ frames dropped.
    After defragging the disk: 0 frames dropped!

    I'm not saying that scenario could be applied under Mandriva...

    You need to ensure no other application is accessing the drive
    where the video is being written to.

    --
    /\/\aurice

  3. Re: video capture problems

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 05:50:45 +0000, chris gareau wrote:

    > if I capture to my external 500gb backup drive that it
    > captures clean,

    Assuming that's a USB drive, I'm a little surprised that the
    USB interface is fast enough to avoid frame dropping

    (But glad, because I might try going the same way in the
    future!)

    It may be because there is no other application twiddling the
    write heads...

    --
    /\/\aurice

  4. Re: video capture problems

    Maurice Batey wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 05:50:45 +0000, chris gareau wrote:
    >
    >> if I capture to my external 500gb backup drive that it
    >> captures clean,

    > Assuming that's a USB drive, I'm a little surprised that the
    > USB interface is fast enough to avoid frame dropping
    >
    > (But glad, because I might try going the same way in the
    > future!)
    >
    > It may be because there is no other application twiddling the
    > write heads...

    actuley it is a lacie 500gb usb2.0 drive, it sustains speeds as fast as
    my internal drive according to hdparm, and the only other thing that
    wold need access to the drive is the kernels ext3 jernaling module

    but it worked to I am happy now, but still puzzled about why I had
    problems with it using the system drive?????????????????????

+ Reply to Thread