Why the long-winded partition names? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Why the long-winded partition names? - Mandriva ; (They are preparing us for IPv6, that's why!) I just installed PCLinuxOS on a spare partition that had to be formatted. Result: the ID code was changed, the partition was not recognised, and Mandriva 2008 Cooker failed to boot. Vi ...

  1. Why the long-winded partition names?

    (They are preparing us for IPv6, that's why!)

    I just installed PCLinuxOS on a spare partition that had to be formatted.
    Result: the ID code was changed, the partition was not recognised, and
    Mandriva 2008 Cooker failed to boot. Vi wasn't available from
    the "maintenance" command prompt or from Rescue, and a root console in
    Knoppix didn't respond. I normally use Tomsrtbt in these situations, but
    the latest version is now out of date as regards e2fs, etc. I ran
    an "upgrade" installation, which I thought must fix it, but it simply
    reinstalled the defective /etc/fstab. In the end I booted into PCLinuxOS
    (which hadn't detected Mandriva) and changed the partition ID to good
    old /dev/sda12. That won't change as the result of any formatting. But If
    PCL hadn't been there, I would still be locked out.

    The last time that I came across this issue, I loaded a utility (should that
    be "an utility"?) to tell me what I wanted to know. It told me that any
    logical drive in an extended partition just hasn't got a number of this
    kind. Really??

    So, why not do it the way that works? When I was in an Army cadet unit, the
    Army's rule was: If there is an easy way and a difficult way to do
    something, always choose the difficult way.

    They say that the French language has no irregular words, or not as many as
    English. They are there, only they are different ones. The difference
    between Windows and Linux is the same.

    Doug.

  2. Re: Why the long-winded partition names?

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 21:24:07 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > I just installed PCLinuxOS on a spare partition that had to be formatted.
    > Result: the ID code was changed, the partition was not recognised, and
    > Mandriva 2008 Cooker failed to boot.

    Heheh, been there done that.

    > Vi wasn't available from the "maintenance" command prompt or from
    > Rescue, and a root console in Knoppix didn't respond.

    Hmmm, I'll use gedit or kwrite (forget which) from Knoppix.

    > In the end I booted into PCLinuxOS
    > (which hadn't detected Mandriva) and changed the partition ID to good
    > old /dev/sda12. That won't change as the result of any formatting.

    That works, but any partition shuffling/delete/add may break it again.
    My solution is to use the label feature.

    That solves my re-format and partition shuffling problem.
    Use "e2label /dev/XdYZ [ new-label ]" to set partition label
    then modify fstab.

    $ head -3 /etc/fstab
    LABEL=2008_1 / ext3 relatime 1 1
    LABEL=local /local ext3 relatime 1 2
    LABEL=2007_1 /2007_1 ext3 user,noauto,relatime 1 2

    During Mandriva install, I pick Custom during Partition phase,
    click Expert, button, Click partition, click Label, highlight label,
    ctl c for copy, click Mount Point, ctl v to paste.
    Saves typing in the mount point names and tells grub to use LABEL in
    boot stanza.

    Upon post install I run a script to change fstab UUID= into LABEL=name.

    Now if grub would catch on to using the label instead of zero relative
    numbering of (drive,partition) I would have it made during partition
    shuffling.

    title linux
    kernel (hd0,11)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=LABEL=2008_1 resume=/dev/sda6 splash=0 vga=791
    initrd (hd0,11)/boot/initrd.img

    > The last time that I came across this issue, I loaded a utility (should that
    > be "an utility"?) to tell me what I wanted to know.

    I find /sbin/blkid /dev/sd* can provide all the info.

    > The difference between Windows and Linux is the same.

    Yes, it seems Micro$not is getting more and more M$ programmers hired in
    linux shops. :-(

    I did see a bugzilla entry to retain the UUID on format at Mandriva.

  3. Re: Why the long-winded partition names?

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > Hmmm, I'll use gedit or kwrite (forget which) from Knoppix.

    Probably kwrite, since Knoppix comes with KDE as default. But the GUI runs
    as user. To run as root, one opens an ordinary console (Ctrl+Alt+F1.) For
    some reason, nothing happened in the console. So I gave up and went into
    PCL.

    Doug.

  4. Re: Why the long-winded partition names?

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 17:14:32 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> Hmmm, I'll use gedit or kwrite (forget which) from Knoppix.

    > Probably kwrite, since Knoppix comes with KDE as default. But the GUI runs
    > as user. To run as root, one opens an ordinary console (Ctrl+Alt+F1.)

    I just click up a terminal, enter su -l root password required.

    > For some reason, nothing happened in the console.

    kwite /etc/fstab should have worked.

  5. Re: Why the long-winded partition names?

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 15:49:26 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 17:14:32 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >> Bit Twister wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hmmm, I'll use gedit or kwrite (forget which) from Knoppix.

    >> Probably kwrite, since Knoppix comes with KDE as default. But the GUI runs
    >> as user. To run as root, one opens an ordinary console (Ctrl+Alt+F1.)

    > I just click up a terminal, enter su -l root password required.

    Sorry, should read
    I just click up a terminal, enter su -l root No password required.

  6. Re: Why the long-winded partition names?

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 17:14:32 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >> Bit Twister wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hmmm, I'll use gedit or kwrite (forget which) from Knoppix.

    >> Probably kwrite, since Knoppix comes with KDE as default. But the GUI runs
    >> as user. To run as root, one opens an ordinary console (Ctrl+Alt+F1.)

    > I just click up a terminal, enter su -l root password required.
    >
    >> For some reason, nothing happened in the console.

    > kwite /etc/fstab should have worked.

    Yes , kwrite /etc/fstab does work Tnx , I have learned a bit again.

    Frank

+ Reply to Thread