Where do change your host nane in 2008.1? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Where do change your host nane in 2008.1? - Mandriva ; I had been looking and trying for days now, to change my host name from localhost to curley. Just don't kown which /etc/ file to edited....

  1. Where do change your host nane in 2008.1?

    I had been looking and trying for days now, to change my host name
    from localhost to curley. Just don't kown which /etc/ file to edited.

  2. Re: Where do change your host nane in 2008.1?

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 19:42:39 GMT, carl wagner wrote:
    > I had been looking and trying for days now, to change my host name
    > from localhost to curley. Just don't kown which /etc/ file to edited.

    Usual host name locations are

    $ cat /etc/sysconfig/network
    NETWORKING_IPV6=no # speedup DNS lookups
    NOZEROCONF=yes # no doze lookups needed
    NEEDHOSTNAME=no # I'll use my own hostname
    NETWORKING=yes
    HOSTNAME=wm81.home.test <===================== sets it on boot

    $ head -2 /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    192.168.1.131 wm81.home.test wm81 <======== used for look ups

    $ hostname
    wm81.home.test

  3. Re: Where do change your host nane in 2008.1?

    carl wagner writes:

    >I had been looking and trying for days now, to change my host name
    >from localhost to curley. Just don't kown which /etc/ file to edited.

    /etc/sysconfig/network
    HOSTNAME=

  4. Re: Where do change your host nane in 2008.1?

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 15:42:39 -0400, carl wagner wrote:

    > I had been looking and trying for days now, to change my host name

    After you change the hostname, you'll have to delete some files, before
    Xorg will start. I don't remember for sure, which files have to be
    deleted, but I think it's ...
    ~/.DCOP*
    ~/.ICEauthority
    ~/.Xauthority
    After you delete the files, the next time you startx, they will be recreated,
    with the new hostname in them.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins