Problem connecting to internet in Linux - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Problem connecting to internet in Linux - Mandriva ; For years I've had a Westell 6110 modem on my multiboot machine (Windows XP and Mandriva Linux). Both OS's were able to connect to the net without problems. But recently I suddenly couldn't connect with Windows although Linux worked fine. ...

  1. Problem connecting to internet in Linux

    For years I've had a Westell 6110 modem on my multiboot machine
    (Windows XP and Mandriva Linux). Both OS's were able to connect to
    the net without problems.

    But recently I suddenly couldn't connect with Windows although Linux
    worked fine. I screwed with it trying to get Windows to connect for days
    (ipconfig /release & /renew, netsh int ip reset, etc). Then mysteriously
    it started working in Windows, not sure why. But now I can't connect in
    Linux.

    I suspect that each OS is leaving the modem in a state that the other
    OS can't use it.

    Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Problem connecting to internet in Linux

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 00:49:52 -0700, kplop wrote:
    > For years I've had a Westell 6110 modem on my multiboot machine
    > (Windows XP and Mandriva Linux). Both OS's were able to connect to
    > the net without problems.
    >
    > But recently I suddenly couldn't connect with Windows although Linux
    > worked fine. I screwed with it trying to get Windows to connect for days
    > (ipconfig /release & /renew, netsh int ip reset, etc). Then mysteriously
    > it started working in Windows, not sure why.

    A power reset on modem, maybe.

    > But now I can't connect in Linux.
    >
    > I suspect that each OS is leaving the modem in a state that the other
    > OS can't use it.
    >
    > Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

    Are you using a USB or Ethernet cable to Modem. If USB, then I'll
    guess modem is only talking to device which was connected to
    it during the last power up/reset.

    If ethernet cable connection, same problem but weird, since the mac
    address of PC should not have changed.

    Either system is not sending a dhcp release during shutdown and modem
    will not hand out another lease on that connection.

    You might look in modem's webpage, guessing (http://192.168.1.1) to see what
    device is indicated on the doze connection.
    Power down modem, pc. power up modem, wait for leds to stabilize,
    power up linux and check again.

    My solution would be set linux up as a static connection.

  3. Re: Problem connecting to internet in Linux

    kplop writes:

    >For years I've had a Westell 6110 modem on my multiboot machine
    >(Windows XP and Mandriva Linux). Both OS's were able to connect to
    >the net without problems.

    >But recently I suddenly couldn't connect with Windows although Linux
    >worked fine. I screwed with it trying to get Windows to connect for days
    >(ipconfig /release & /renew, netsh int ip reset, etc). Then mysteriously
    >it started working in Windows, not sure why. But now I can't connect in
    >Linux.

    >I suspect that each OS is leaving the modem in a state that the other
    >OS can't use it.

    Look in the configuration options on Linux for the modem. Make sure you do
    not use ATZ to initialise the modem. That is always a mistake. Instead use
    AT&F (Or AT&F1 for Sportster modems) to set factory settings and then do
    any other settings that are needed explicitly. ATZ is always a disaster
    waiting to happen.

    >Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

  4. Re: Problem connecting to internet in Linux

    In comp.os.linux.networking Unruh wrote:
    > kplop writes:
    >
    >>For years I've had a Westell 6110 modem on my multiboot machine
    >>(Windows XP and Mandriva Linux). Both OS's were able to connect to
    >>the net without problems.

    >>But recently I suddenly couldn't connect with Windows although Linux
    >>worked fine. I screwed with it trying to get Windows to connect for days
    >>(ipconfig /release & /renew, netsh int ip reset, etc). Then mysteriously
    >>it started working in Windows, not sure why. But now I can't connect in
    >>Linux.

    >>I suspect that each OS is leaving the modem in a state that the other
    >>OS can't use it.

    > Look in the configuration options on Linux for the modem. Make sure you do
    > not use ATZ to initialise the modem. That is always a mistake. Instead use
    > AT&F (Or AT&F1 for Sportster modems) to set factory settings and then do
    > any other settings that are needed explicitly. ATZ is always a disaster
    > waiting to happen.

    Wrong information, the Westell 6100 is a DSL modem/router combination.

    >>Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

  5. Re: Problem connecting to internet in Linux

    In comp.os.linux.networking kplop wrote:
    > For years I've had a Westell 6110 modem on my multiboot machine
    > (Windows XP and Mandriva Linux). Both OS's were able to connect to
    > the net without problems.
    >
    > But recently I suddenly couldn't connect with Windows although Linux
    > worked fine. I screwed with it trying to get Windows to connect for days
    > (ipconfig /release & /renew, netsh int ip reset, etc). Then mysteriously
    > it started working in Windows, not sure why. But now I can't connect in
    > Linux.
    >
    > I suspect that each OS is leaving the modem in a state that the other
    > OS can't use it.
    >
    > Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

    USB or ethernet? I'll assume ethernet because I don't think there's
    any Linux support for the USB port.

    What do you mean by "couldn't connect"? Not getting an IP address from
    the 6100? I had a problem, using dhcpcd, where I couldn't get an IP
    address after disconnecting (suspend to ram/disk) unless I released
    the address beforehand. My solution was to switch to dhclient which
    just works, no release needed.

    Jerry

  6. Re: Problem connecting to internet in Linux

    kplop wrote:
    > For years I've had a Westell 6110 modem on my multiboot machine
    > (Windows XP and Mandriva Linux). Both OS's were able to connect to
    > the net without problems.
    >
    > But recently I suddenly couldn't connect with Windows although Linux
    > worked fine. I screwed with it trying to get Windows to connect for days
    > (ipconfig /release & /renew, netsh int ip reset, etc). Then mysteriously
    > it started working in Windows, not sure why. But now I can't connect in
    > Linux.

    I had that exact same problem. Same modem, same sequence of
    OS's not working too. In XP, ipconfig /renew timed out. IIRC the
    event log showed the first problem booting was with DHCP. No IP
    address, no internet. The Westell utility that Verizon gave me
    would sometimes see the modem, sometimes not.

    > I suspect that each OS is leaving the modem in a state that the other
    > OS can't use it.

    That's my diagnosis too. Although it used to boot both OS's back
    and forth just fine. Not sure what changed.

    I powered down the machine and left it off for about a day. When I
    turned it on I booted Linux and it worked.

    > Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

    Don't know about you but I simply won't run Windows anymore. The
    only reason I ever use it is for novelty purposes anyway.

    Maybe getting a new modem will allow both OS's to work, dunno.
    Let us know if you learn anything new.

+ Reply to Thread