problems upgrading to Free 2008.1 x86_64 from 2008.0 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on problems upgrading to Free 2008.1 x86_64 from 2008.0 - Mandriva ; (Linux newbie) Hi, To upgrade to Free 2008.1 x86_64 from 2008.0 x86_64, I first applied the following procedure: Remove all media (2008.0 mirrors) In order to add 2008.1 mirrors, I decided to go to http:// www.mandrivauser.de/smarturpmi/ . (Don't quite know ...

  1. problems upgrading to Free 2008.1 x86_64 from 2008.0

    (Linux newbie)

    Hi,

    To upgrade to Free 2008.1 x86_64 from 2008.0 x86_64, I first applied the
    following procedure:

    Remove all media (2008.0 mirrors)

    In order to add 2008.1 mirrors, I decided to go to http://
    www.mandrivauser.de/smarturpmi/. (Don't quite know why since I had never
    used it before.)

    I noticed some problems after using the script that website generated--
    for example, my Skype was no longer working, etc.

    I then removed all mirrors again; and this time used easyurpmi to add the
    2008.1 mirrors.

    Then I did "urpmi --auto-update --auto".

    All seemed OK.

    Then, I upgraded kernel manually:

    "rpmi kernel-laptop-2.6.24.4-1mnb && kernel-laptop-devel-2.6.24.4-1mnb"

    Problems--mainly no video no mouse--booting straight to Console.
    I now understand this was normal since new kernel did not have proper
    graphics/video driver, etc. (However, upon previous kernel updates--not
    manual but via MCC "Update your system", new kernels had not needed the
    nVida driver to be compiled into kernel each time--so I am obviously
    misunderstanding something here.)

    At that point, since I was not sure of what to do, I got additional
    advice from someone else whom I felt was knowledgeable--and used this
    command as he thought something may have gone wrong with my installation
    of the 2008.1 mirrors:

    "urpmi --auto-select --keep --auto --clean"

    This took a few hours; but after re-installing nVidia prop driver
    previously downloaded from nVidia's website--all was fine.

    HOWEVER, I noticed that the --keep option above, left a lot of 2008.0
    packages and libraries on my machine, causing problems with some
    applications at times (now that I am running the 2008.1 kernel), until I
    manually upgrade the programs (like Pidgin for example) from 2008.0 to
    2008.1 version.

    I really don't want to have to do that manually and I was wondering what
    I could do to upgrade the remaining packages/libraries automatically.

    Here is a list of the 2008.0 packages/libraries still on my system:

    http://pastebin.com/f34a30527

    I understand those packages were left on my system due to the --keep
    option in "urpmi --auto-select --keep --auto --clean" and that it is
    because "When some dependencies cannot be satisfied, the --keep option
    changes the selection of packages to try to keep existing packages
    instead of removing them. This behavior generally rejects the upgrade of
    packages given on command line (or when using --auto-select) when a
    dependency error occurs."

    So it is possible (?) that had I not used the "--keep", some applications
    on my box would have broken... (?)

    1) How do I automatically upgrade the 2008.0 packages in the pastebin to
    2008.1, so that I do not have to do it manually...?

    1a) Is this auto update correct for me to try? Or am I better off
    keeping the 2008.0 packages? (I doubt that....)

    2) Any pointers as to *properly* upgrade would be helpful--please do not
    include re-installing from scratch--while keeping /home; as that is what
    I am trying to avoid.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: problems upgrading to Free 2008.1 x86_64 from 2008.0

    stef wrote:
    > 2) Any pointers as to *properly* upgrade would be helpful--please do not
    > include re-installing from scratch--while keeping /home; as that is what
    > I am trying to avoid.

    Installing a new version of Mandriva from CDs while keeping /home
    typically takes me approximately twenty minutes on a P3 500.

    *shrug*

  3. Re: problems upgrading to Free 2008.1 x86_64 from 2008.0

    Scott B. wrote:

    > stef wrote:
    >> 2) Any pointers as to *properly* upgrade would be helpful--please do not
    >> include re-installing from scratch--while keeping /home; as that is what
    >> I am trying to avoid.

    > Installing a new version of Mandriva from CDs while keeping /home
    > typically takes me approximately twenty minutes on a P3 500.
    >
    > *shrug*

    Well, in 20 minutes you only have the basic system, not a full functionnal
    and updated system...

    Upgrading from CD, keeping /home untouched and getting all the stuff
    working, latest updates inclusive, takes me 3.5 hours when using a server
    image on an external USB drive. 7 hours when using i-net (3 Mbauds ADSL).

    Changing the sources and praying god that the update will go fine is the
    wrong way to go...

    Ciao @+

  4. Re: problems upgrading to Free 2008.1 x86_64 from 2008.0

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 05:11:26 GMT, stef wrote:

    > Problems--mainly no video no mouse--booting straight to Console.

    Little problems like that in the past made me decide to keep a few
    ~12 gig test partitions laying around. That allows me to do clean
    installs or copy current install into a partition and try an upgrade
    from there.

    I can always boot the previous install.

    > So it is possible (?) that had I not used the "--keep", some applications
    > on my box would have broken... (?)

    That is one of the problems when doing upgrades. If there is a large
    shift in program code managing a device, the program may have been
    renamed to something else. Now you have two programs fighting over managing
    the device.

    Did you check the MANual page to see what you asked it to do?
    Snippet from man urpmi

    --keep
    When some dependencies cannot be satisfied, change the selection of
    packages to try to keep existing packages instead of removing them.
    This behaviour generally rejects the upgrade of packages given on
    command line (or when using --auto-select) when a dependency error
    occurs.

    > 1) How do I automatically upgrade the 2008.0 packages in the pastebin to
    > 2008.1, so that I do not have to do it manually...?

    I never do an upgrade, always a clean install. In your case I suggest
    downloading the dvd.iso, boot it, and do the upgrade from it.

    > 1a) Is this auto update correct for me to try?

    That is the only method left, if not doing a install/upgrade by using
    the downloaded 2008.spring dvd.iso.

    > Or am I better off keeping the 2008.0 packages? (I doubt that....)

    I doubt that also. I suggest a clean install or upgrade from dvd.iso.

    > 2) Any pointers as to *properly* upgrade would be helpful--please do not
    > include re-installing from scratch--while keeping /home; as that is what
    > I am trying to avoid.

    So, How much time have you saved so far.
    If your disk died as you read this post, what would you do.

    You can put /home in another partition to keep it apart from clean
    installs or upgrades.
    Not the best choice when multi-booting between major releases, or
    major revisions of your desktop manager.

    During installs/upgrade, you just pick custom during partition phase,
    click /home partition, click Mount Point and set it /home. Piece of
    cake, click partition containing / and proceed with install/upgrade as
    usual.

    I would recommend one upgrade attempt using downloaded dvd.iso.

    That assumes you have done your backup, verified you can read the
    backup, know the backup has what is to be backed up, and restore
    procedure is accurate.

    Stanza I add to /boot/grub/menu.lst for booting downloaded dvd.iso
    from hard drive.

    ============
    title Mandriva_dvd
    kernel (hd1,0)/spare/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram3 ramdisk_size=32000 vga=791
    initrd (hd1,0)/spare/all.rdz

    ============

    (hd1,0) is my partition (/local) where I keep downloads in a /spare
    sub-directory. See

    # blkid /dev/sd* | grep local
    /dev/sdb1: LABEL="local" UUID="01441543--a4cc-12" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3"

    $ head -2 /etc/fstab
    LABEL=2008_1 / ext3 relatime 1 1
    LABEL=local /local ext3 relatime 1 2

    /spare/vmlinuz and /spare/all.rdz were pulled from the downloaded iso.
    Example:

    mkdir /dvd
    mount -t auto -o ro,loop=/dev/loop0 /local/spare/dvd.iso /dvd
    cp /dvd/i586/isolinux/alt0/vmlinuz /local/spare/vmlinuz
    cp /dvd/i586/isolinux/alt0/all.rdz /local/spare/all.rdz
    umount /dvd

    Change i586 to what is in your downloaded dvd.iso, Note, in my case
    dvd.iso is mandriva-linux-free-2008-spring-dvd-i586.iso

    Since not all applications/plugins have been released for 64 bit,
    I choose to run the 32 bit install.

    skype-2.0.0.68-mdv.i586.rpm from
    http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/choose/
    works for me.

    --
    The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
    Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

  5. Re: problems upgrading to Free 2008.1 x86_64 from 2008.0

    Bit Twister:

    Thanks for your informative reply.

    Let me explain why I am trying not to install from DVD--perhaps I have a
    misunderstanding: I have spent a lot of time downloading and installing
    programs, be it from the Mandriva mirrors or opensource applications from
    developers' website, etc.; and my understanding is that if I do upgrade
    from the DVD, I would lose all of the customizations and applications
    installed beyond whatever comes in by default on the DVD, i.e. I will
    have to re-configure, re-customize and re-install the applications, etc.
    IF that is the case, it just doesn't seem like the right way to go....

    If I have some type of misundertanding, please let me know.

    I do understand that some of my customizations will not be lost--but only
    the ones that use some type of directory on /home (as I will preserv /
    home) with user settings, profiles, etc. (Like Firefox, Thunderbird,
    etc.) But there are plenty that do not.

    I have addressed the points below in dividually.....

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:56:12 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 05:11:26 GMT, stef wrote:
    >
    >> Problems--mainly no video no mouse--booting straight to Console.

    > Little problems like that in the past made me decide to keep a few ~12
    > gig test partitions laying around. That allows me to do clean installs
    > or copy current install into a partition and try an upgrade from there.

    I don;t have that luxury, unfortunately.

    > I can always boot the previous install.
    >

    >> So it is possible (?) that had I not used the "--keep", some
    >> applications on my box would have broken... (?)

    > That is one of the problems when doing upgrades. If there is a large
    > shift in program code managing a device, the program may have been
    > renamed to something else. Now you have two programs fighting over
    > managing the device.

    Yes, you are probably correct; although the --keep option seems to not
    download the upgraded version if conflicts and keep the old one--which
    whould minimize redundancies; but then again, if the name has changed, I
    do not know whether the upgrade/update process even with --keep option
    will recognize the name changes and behave "properly".

    > Did you check the MANual page to see what you asked it to do? Snippet
    > from man urpmi
    >
    > --keep
    > When some dependencies cannot be satisfied, change the
    > selection of packages to try to keep existing packages
    > instead of removing them. This behaviour generally rejects
    > the upgrade of packages given on command line (or when using
    > --auto-select) when a dependency error occurs.

    Yes I have. If you re-read my original post, I had included the exact
    quote ot MAN re. the --keep option

    >> 1) How do I automatically upgrade the 2008.0 packages in the pastebin
    >> to 2008.1, so that I do not have to do it manually...?

    > I never do an upgrade, always a clean install. In your case I suggest
    > downloading the dvd.iso, boot it, and do the upgrade from it.

    When you say (just above) "do the upgrade from it", you really just mean:
    re-install cleanly from the DVD--keeping /home untouched. Is that
    correct OR is there actually an option to do an "upgrade" install from
    the DVD which will NOT erase / and all of your programs in it? (I believe
    there is no such option but I could be incorrect.)

    >> 1a) Is this auto update correct for me to try?

    > That is the only method left, if not doing a install/upgrade by using
    > the downloaded 2008.spring dvd.iso.

    So would this be:
    "urpmi --auto-update --auto"

    >> Or am I better off keeping the 2008.0 packages? (I doubt that....)

    > I doubt that also. I suggest a clean install or upgrade from dvd.iso.

    It seems I have a misunderstanding then--there IS such as thing as an
    *upgrade* from DVD iso? What will it do exactly? Will it not just re-
    install the system clean over everything, causing me to have to re-
    configure and re-install my "custom" applications?

    >> 2) Any pointers as to *properly* upgrade would be helpful--please do
    >> not include re-installing from scratch--while keeping /home; as that is
    >> what I am trying to avoid.

    > So, How much time have you saved so far. If your disk died as you
    > read this post, what would you do.

    As I say, I am a newbie and trying to learn; but one thing for sure:
    there are others whom believe that having to wipe and re-install should
    not be necessary. But I am not trying to argue here--as I do not
    consider myself informed enough on the subject; this is my first upgrade.

    > You can put /home in another partition to keep it apart from clean
    > installs or upgrades.

    That's not a bad idea--but I'd have to re-partition my disk and copy /
    home into new partition.

    > During installs/upgrade, you just pick custom during partition phase,
    > click /home partition, click Mount Point and set it /home. Piece of
    > cake, click partition containing / and proceed with install/upgrade as
    > usual.

    That's where it seems ambiguous: I believe doing the above would
    preserve /home while completely wiping and re-installing /.

    Correct? Incorrect?

    > I would recommend one upgrade attempt using downloaded dvd.iso.
    >
    > That assumes you have done your backup, verified you can read the
    > backup, know the backup has what is to be backed up, and restore
    > procedure is accurate.
    >
    > Stanza I add to /boot/grub/menu.lst for booting downloaded dvd.iso from
    > hard drive.
    >
    > ============
    > title Mandriva_dvd
    > kernel (hd1,0)/spare/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram3 ramdisk_size=32000 vga=791
    > initrd (hd1,0)/spare/all.rdz
    >
    > ============
    >

    > (hd1,0) is my partition (/local) where I keep downloads in a /spare
    > sub-directory. See
    >
    > # blkid /dev/sd* | grep local
    > /dev/sdb1: LABEL="local" UUID="01441543--a4cc-12" SEC_TYPE="ext2"
    > TYPE="ext3"
    >
    > $ head -2 /etc/fstab
    > LABEL=2008_1 / ext3 relatime 1 1
    > LABEL=local /local ext3 relatime 1 2
    >

    > /spare/vmlinuz and /spare/all.rdz were pulled from the downloaded iso.
    > Example:
    >
    > mkdir /dvd
    > mount -t auto -o ro,loop=/dev/loop0 /local/spare/dvd.iso /dvd cp
    > /dvd/i586/isolinux/alt0/vmlinuz /local/spare/vmlinuz cp
    > /dvd/i586/isolinux/alt0/all.rdz /local/spare/all.rdz umount /dvd
    >
    > Change i586 to what is in your downloaded dvd.iso, Note, in my case
    > dvd.iso is mandriva-linux-free-2008-spring-dvd-i586.iso
    >
    > Since not all applications/plugins have been released for 64 bit, I
    > choose to run the 32 bit install.
    >
    > skype-2.0.0.68-mdv.i586.rpm from
    > http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/choose/
    > works for me.

    (Skype now works with the simple command: Skype--where before I had to
    point it to a specific QT library [LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/qt4/lib
    skype] in order to get it started.)

  6. Re: problems upgrading to Free 2008.1 x86_64 from 2008.0

    stef wrote:

    > Let me explain why I am trying not to install from DVD--perhaps I have a
    > misunderstanding: I have spent a lot of time downloading and installing
    > programs, be it from the Mandriva mirrors or opensource applications
    > from developers' website, etc.; and my understanding is that if I do
    > upgrade from the DVD, I would lose all of the customizations and
    > applications installed beyond whatever comes in by default on the DVD,
    > i.e. I will have to re-configure, re-customize and re-install the
    > applications, etc. IF that is the case, it just doesn't seem like the
    > right way to go....

    That's not usually necessary. For example this machine has an Apache web
    server installed (from the Mandriva RPM). All of my configuration files
    were kept in place when I upgraded from 2008.0 to 2008.1, and the web
    server carried on working. The upgrade installed the new version of
    httpd.conf as httpd.conf.rpmnew, so I could look to see if any changes
    were necessary to my old file.

    The only time the update fails is if the old configuration is in some way
    incompatible with the new version of the application. The privoxy
    ad-zapper failed to work after the update because the new version needs
    absolute file paths in its config file and my file had relative paths,
    but it only took a few minutes to fix.

    Of course it is wise to have a full system backup before updating;-)
    --
    Dave

  7. Re: problems upgrading to Free 2008.1 x86_64 from 2008.0

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 15:41:52 GMT, stef wrote:
    > Bit Twister:
    >
    > Let me explain why I am trying not to install from DVD--perhaps I have a
    > misunderstanding:

    I understand, you can do an upgrade from DVD or from a dvd.iso

    > I have spent a lot of time downloading and installing programs,

    Yes, me too.

    > be it from the Mandriva mirrors or opensource applications from
    > developers' website, etc.;

    I wrote a script which does the odd ball install of other packages.
    Here you can see
    $ grep urpmi new_install | wc -l
    196
    where I tack on an additional 100+ packages.

    Ones I downloaded from "website, etc" are in my /downloads partition.
    It is no problem to do the reinstall from /downloads. Example snippets:

    _rpm=$(ls -1 /downloads/skype*.rpm | tail -1)
    urpmi -wget $_rpm --auto

    if [ ! -d /usr/share/doc/rute ] ; then
    echo fix /usr/share/doc/rute
    if [ -e /downloads/rute.html.tar.bz2 ] ; then
    tar -xjf /downloads/rute.html.tar.bz2
    chmod -R 644 rute
    chmod 755 rute
    fi
    fi

    > and my understanding is that if I do upgrade
    > from the DVD, I would lose all of the customizations and applications
    > installed beyond whatever comes in by default on the DVD,

    Applications, no, customizations maybe. If package is created
    correctly, you would get an rpmnew or rpmsave which you can use to
    merge the differences. See,
    # locate rpmnew
    /etc/fstab.rpmnew
    /etc/hosts.rpmnew

    I wrote a script (install_chantes) to copy the application config file
    to same_name_orig and make my changes. Example snippet:

    #*******************************
    # security fix in /etc/php.ini
    #*******************************

    if [ ! -e /etc/php.ini_orig ] ; then
    echo fixing /etc/php.ini
    cp /etc/php.ini /etc/php.ini_orig
    /bin/cp /dev/null /etc/php.ini
    while read line ; do
    set -- $line
    if [ "$line" = "register_globals" ] ; then
    line="register_globals = Off"
    fi
    if [ "$line" = "allow_url_fopen" ] ; then
    line="allow_url_fopen = Off"
    fi
    echo $line >> /etc/php.ini
    done < /etc/php.ini_orig
    fi

    > i.e. I will
    > have to re-configure, re-customize and re-install the applications, etc.
    > IF that is the case, it just doesn't seem like the right way to go....

    Here again, you may get the rpmnew or rpmsave files during packageinstallation.
    But, you may need the new packages config file and have to reapply
    your changes.

    > If I have some type of misundertanding, please let me know.

    So far, I see resistance to change. If you are going to upgrade, you
    really need to use the new config file just to keep out of trouble.

    Most of the time, you may get away with copying in the old file.
    For those occasions, I'll do a diff -bBw new.config old.config
    to see what I need to change.

    > I do understand that some of my customizations will not be lost--but only
    > the ones that use some type of directory on /home (as I will preserv /
    > home) with user settings, profiles, etc. (Like Firefox, Thunderbird,
    > etc.) But there are plenty that do not.

    Yes I understand, here is my modification count
    # locate _orig | wc -l
    73

    >> Little problems like that in the past made me decide to keep a few ~12
    >> gig test partitions laying around. That allows me to do clean installs
    >> or copy current install into a partition and try an upgrade from there.
    >>

    > I don;t have that luxury, unfortunately.

    Amazing how fast a 40gig drive can fill up.
    I found out I had to keep/waste ~20gig of free space just in case
    Micro$not has a large update.

    > Yes, you are probably correct; although the --keep option seems to not
    > download the upgraded version if conflicts and keep the old one--which
    > whould minimize redundancies; but then again, if the name has changed, I
    > do not know whether the upgrade/update process even with --keep option
    > will recognize the name changes and behave "properly".

    It has not in the past.

    > Yes I have. If you re-read my original post, I had included the exact
    > quote ot MAN re. the --keep option

    Sorry, My bad.

    > When you say (just above) "do the upgrade from it", you really just mean:
    > re-install cleanly from the DVD--keeping /home untouched.
    > Is that correct

    During a clean install, /home can only be "untoched" if in a separate
    partition. Otherwise /home is wiped out during the / format phase of
    an "install"

    Yes, See, http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/i...mdv2008/04.png

    >>> 1a) Is this auto update correct for me to try?

    >> That is the only method left, if not doing a install/upgrade by using
    >> the downloaded 2008.spring dvd.iso.

    > So would this be:
    > "urpmi --auto-update --auto"

    Yep, assuming you have changed mirrors, and have these mirrors set
    Main
    Main\ Updates
    Contrib
    Contrib\ Updates
    Non-free
    Non-free\ Updates
    PLF\ Free
    PLF\ Non-free

    and you know what additional packages have to be created. The more I think
    about it, you will not get away with using urmi in trying to upgrade.

    If you use the Upgrade option on DVD, hardware detection and what not
    will automagically pick the correct packages. You will also get new
    programs which would not come in via your urpmi update.

    > It seems I have a misunderstanding then--there IS such as thing as an
    > *upgrade* from DVD iso?

    Yes.

    > What will it do exactly? Will it not just re-
    > install the system clean over everything, causing me to have to re-
    > configure and re-install my "custom" applications?

    It will Not "install the system /clean/ over everything"

    It will update current packages, creating *rpmnew or *rpmsave config
    files as needed. It will also install new packages that are required.
    In the past, Upgrade did not remove old packages superseded my new
    program packages.

    You get can get the *rpmnew or *rpmsave during normal urpmi updates.
    I always run
    /etc/cron.daily/mlocate.cron
    locate rpmsave
    locate rpmnew
    after uprmi updates to check for config file changes.

    > As I say, I am a newbie and trying to learn; but one thing for sure:
    > there are others whom believe that having to wipe and re-install should
    > not be necessary.

    Very true and there are several who have done an upgrade in the past and
    gotten away with it without problems. Others had constant problems
    which only cleared up after a clean install.

    > But I am not trying to argue here--as I do not
    > consider myself informed enough on the subject; this is my first upgrade.

    I understand. It is better to ask the ignorant question than making a
    stupid mistake.

    > That's not a bad idea--but I'd have to re-partition my disk and copy /
    > home into new partition.

    Yes, but, downside is you have to waste disk space for /home growth.
    Currently with /home in the / partition, you get to share the space.

    >> During installs/upgrade, you just pick custom during partition phase,
    >> click /home partition, click Mount Point and set it /home. Piece of
    >> cake, click partition containing / and proceed with install/upgrade as
    >> usual.
    >>

    > That's where it seems ambiguous: I believe doing the above would
    > preserve /home while completely wiping and re-installing /.
    >
    > Correct? Incorrect?

    I indicated "installs/upgrade".
    Note: "upgrade" does NOT format /
    "install" DOES format / as the default. You can unckeck
    format box but is not recommend by me.

  8. Re: problems upgrading to Free 2008.1 x86_64 from 2008.0

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 17:03:26 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    >> OR is there actually an option to do an "upgrade" install from the DVD
    >> which will NOT erase / and all of your programs in it?

    > Yes, See, http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/i...mdv2008/04.png

    Excellent--I DID have a misunderstanding then. I don't see any problems
    generally in burning the DVD iso and using the "upgrade" option--which is
    what I will probably do in the future.

    As things currently stand with my system, I just don't know if using the
    iso to upgrade is indicated as I wouldn't want to do it now and find that
    I have to reconfig everything, (reinstall nVidia drivers, reconfig
    printing or CUPS, etc.)

    Is it likely I will have to redo the basic config (nVidia, printing,
    etc.)?

    Let me digest the rest of your post and come back here soon.

    Thanks.

  9. Re: problems upgrading to Free 2008.1 x86_64 from 2008.0

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 17:28:55 GMT, stef wrote:

    > Is it likely I will have to redo the basic config (nVidia, printing,
    > etc.)?

    Hard to say.
    1. I do not do upgrades, just clean installs.
    2. I am not running nVidia,
    3. after upgrade, do the following:
    /etc/cron.daily/mlocate.cron
    locate rpmnew
    locate rpmsave
    to see which config files need changing.

    rpmsave is your file.
    rpmnew is what should be the current config contents, but does not
    have your changes.

  10. Re: problems upgrading to Free 2008.1 x86_64 from 2008.0

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 17:38:26 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 17:28:55 GMT, stef wrote:
    >
    >> Is it likely I will have to redo the basic config (nVidia, printing,
    >> etc.)?

    > Hard to say.
    > 1. I do not do upgrades, just clean installs. 2. I am not running
    > nVidia,
    > 3. after upgrade, do the following:
    > /etc/cron.daily/mlocate.cron
    > locate rpmnew
    > locate rpmsave
    > to see which config files need changing.
    >

    > rpmsave is your file.
    > rpmnew is what should be the current config contents, but does not have
    > your changes.

    Thanks.

    Let me consider everything and come back to this thread.

  11. Re: problems upgrading to Free 2008.1 x86_64 from 2008.0

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 17:54:20 GMT, stef wrote:

    > Let me consider everything and come back to this thread.

    OK,

  12. Re: problems upgrading to Free 2008.1 x86_64 from 2008.0

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 17:54:20 GMT, stef wrote:

    > Let me consider everything and come back to this thread.

    OK.

  13. Re: problems upgrading to Free 2008.1 x86_64 from 2008.0

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 18:09:41 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 17:54:20 GMT, stef wrote:
    >>
    >> Let me consider everything and come back to this thread.

    > OK.

    Frap, news.motzarella.org is having problems with posting again.
    Sorry for the double post.
    I did fire up another server and checked to see if first post made it.
    Since it did not show up, I made the second attempt at motzarella.org.

  14. Re: problems upgrading to Free 2008.1 x86_64 from 2008.0

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 18:09:41 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:
    >> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 17:54:20 GMT, stef wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Let me consider everything and come back to this thread.

    >> OK.

    > Frap, news.motzarella.org is having problems with posting again.
    > Sorry for the double post.
    > I did fire up another server and checked to see if first post made it.
    > Since it did not show up, I made the second attempt at motzarella.org.

    If you're looking for an alternative and free newsserver, you may want to
    check out...

    http://www.aioe.org

    They only use Free & Open Source Software, and subscription is free. Some
    Usenet regulars distrust people posting through /aioe.org/ because of fact
    that it hides the sender's IP address.

    Still, it's a good alternative. :-)

    --
    Aragorn
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  15. Re: [ OT ] problems upgrading to Free 2008.1 x86_64 from 2008.0

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 20:26:47 +0200, Aragorn wrote:

    > If you're looking for an alternative and free newsserver, you may want to
    > check out...
    >
    > http://www.aioe.org
    >
    > They only use Free & Open Source Software, and subscription is free. Some
    > Usenet regulars distrust people posting through /aioe.org/ because of fact
    > that it hides the sender's IP address.

    I think I can stay under the 600 connection limit per day, but I would
    be almost half way to the 25 posts per day limit already before 2pm here.

    Apparently, it was about a 3 minute glitch at motzarella.

+ Reply to Thread