motherboards - Mandriva

This is a discussion on motherboards - Mandriva ; I am really having fun with 2008.1. So much so that I am considering building myself a new computer. Would anyone like to recommend a motherboard? Maybe not the absolute latest and greatest but one that is at least new ...

  1. motherboards

    I am really having fun with 2008.1.

    So much so that I am considering building myself a new computer.

    Would anyone like to recommend a motherboard?

    Maybe not the absolute latest and greatest but one that is at least new
    enough to be fun.

    The newest that I have now is socket 939 boards with AGP video cards.

    I am an AMD fan.

    I would like to use one of their processors.

    It will be my own general purpose machine.

    Thanks to all for any suggestions.

  2. Re: motherboards

    n wrote:

    > I am really having fun with 2008.1.
    >
    > So much so that I am considering building myself a new computer.
    >
    > Would anyone like to recommend a motherboard?
    >
    > Maybe not the absolute latest and greatest but one that is at least new
    > enough to be fun.
    >
    > The newest that I have now is socket 939 boards with AGP video cards.
    >
    > I am an AMD fan.
    >
    > I would like to use one of their processors.
    >
    > It will be my own general purpose machine.
    >
    > Thanks to all for any suggestions.

    I'm afraid I can't give you any specific motherboard types or part numbers,
    but if you want a consumergrade AMD processor, you need socket AM2 - this
    will support the new Phenoms as well as the common Athlon64s. If on the
    other hand you want something more enterprise-worthy, you need socket F1207
    - this supports the 2nd and 3rd generation of Opteron processors; the first
    generation of Opterons uses socket 939 for the 1xx series and socket 940
    for the 2xx and 8xx series.

    If you go for an Opteron solution, the second and third generations use four
    digits as the typenumbers, while the first generation uses three digits.
    In each case, if the first digit is a "1", then it's a processor for
    single-socket motherboards. If the first digit is a "2", then it's a
    processor for twin-socket motherboards. If it is an "8", it's a processor
    for four- to eight-socket motherboards.

    I'm personally kinda partial to the nForce chipset - my Opteron machine uses
    the nForce Professional variant. However, now that AMD owns ATi, their
    chipsets will probably be very good as well, especially in the department
    of FOSS driver support - well, AMD has always had good chipsets, but never
    for the consumergrade range, so that has changed now.

    Lastly, if you want brandnames, Asus, MSI, Tyan, SuperMicro and Iwill all
    have excellent motherboards. Last time I checked - a few months ago - Tyan
    still offers socket 939 and socket 940 motherboards, so they will probably
    less expensive than the socket AM2 or socket F1207 boards.

    Hope this was useful... ;-)

    --
    Aragorn
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: motherboards

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 22:06:50 -0500
    n wrote:

    > I am really having fun with 2008.1. So much so that I am considering building
    > myself a new computer. Would anyone like to recommend a motherboard? Maybe
    > not the absolute latest and greatest but one that is at least new enough to
    > be fun. The newest that I have now is socket 939 boards with AGP video cards.
    > I am an AMD fan. I would like to use one of their processors. It will be my
    > own general purpose machine. Thanks to all for any suggestions.

    Go for a socket AM2 board from any of the big motherboard makers. You may also
    want to look for a dual-core AMD CPU. My company uses ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI
    boards in our custom PC builds for customers:

    http://shopping.eracc.com/catalog/pr...products_id=38

    At one time ASUS was not Linux friendly. After some very bad publicity in
    2004 ASUS got a clue and are definitely on the Linux bandwagon now. I personally
    like MSI a great deal and use their boards in my own personal builds I order
    from my company. I am reevaluating Tyan to decide whether or not to include
    them in our builds again. We got a batch of bad boards from Tyan several years
    ago that went flaky after being in service for a month or so. We lost some
    customers over it. This is a Very Bad Thing when providing custom built
    computers with a low volume of sales. At this point I suspect any of the major
    manufacturers should work fine for you.

    Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    Got Rute? http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-25465...sbn=0130333514
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/
    Preloaded PCs - eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare

+ Reply to Thread