OpenSSH - Mandriva

This is a discussion on OpenSSH - Mandriva ; Hi All, I was wondering if anyone knows how to disable OpenSSH asking for the passphrase when I... (i) Logon to Mandriva 2008.1/KDE (ii) Launch Konsole Previously with Mandriva 2008.0/Gnome I would only be prompted for the passphrase when I ...

  1. OpenSSH

    Hi All,

    I was wondering if anyone knows how to disable OpenSSH asking for the
    passphrase when I...

    (i) Logon to Mandriva 2008.1/KDE
    (ii) Launch Konsole

    Previously with Mandriva 2008.0/Gnome I would only be prompted for the
    passphrase when I initiated a connection from gnome-terminal.

    Lardy.

  2. Re: OpenSSH

    Lardy wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I was wondering if anyone knows how to disable OpenSSH asking for the
    > passphrase when I...
    >
    > (i) Logon to Mandriva 2008.1/KDE
    > (ii) Launch Konsole
    >
    > Previously with Mandriva 2008.0/Gnome I would only be prompted for the
    > passphrase when I initiated a connection from gnome-terminal.

    I am not really sure what it is that you're trying to say... Are you saying
    that when you log into KDE on your local box, _*openssh*_ asks you for a
    password whenever you open up a /Konsole/ window?

    That would be highly peculiar, and in my humble opinion unrelated
    to /openssh./

    Please elaborate...?

    --
    Aragorn
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: OpenSSH

    Aragorn writes:

    >Lardy wrote:

    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I was wondering if anyone knows how to disable OpenSSH asking for the
    >> passphrase when I...
    >>
    >> (i) Logon to Mandriva 2008.1/KDE
    >> (ii) Launch Konsole
    >>
    >> Previously with Mandriva 2008.0/Gnome I would only be prompted for the
    >> passphrase when I initiated a connection from gnome-terminal.

    >I am not really sure what it is that you're trying to say... Are you saying
    >that when you log into KDE on your local box, _*openssh*_ asks you for a
    >password whenever you open up a /Konsole/ window?

    >That would be highly peculiar, and in my humble opinion unrelated
    >to /openssh./

    >Please elaborate...?

    He might have an openssh daemon that stores the keys running under kde. Or
    he might have something in .bashrc that requires ssh.

  4. Re: OpenSSH

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 00:34:51 +0800, Lardy wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I was wondering if anyone knows how to disable OpenSSH asking for the
    > passphrase when I...
    >
    > (i) Logon to Mandriva 2008.1/KDE

    Remove the call to keychain in ~/.bash_profile ??

  5. Re: OpenSSH

    Unruh wrote:
    > Aragorn writes:
    >
    >> Lardy wrote:

    >>> Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> I was wondering if anyone knows how to disable OpenSSH asking for the
    >>> passphrase when I...
    >>>
    >>> (i) Logon to Mandriva 2008.1/KDE
    >>> (ii) Launch Konsole
    >>>
    >>> Previously with Mandriva 2008.0/Gnome I would only be prompted for the
    >>> passphrase when I initiated a connection from gnome-terminal.

    >> I am not really sure what it is that you're trying to say... Are you saying
    >> that when you log into KDE on your local box, _*openssh*_ asks you for a
    >> password whenever you open up a /Konsole/ window?

    >> That would be highly peculiar, and in my humble opinion unrelated
    >> to /openssh./

    >> Please elaborate...?

    > He might have an openssh daemon that stores the keys running under kde. Or
    > he might have something in .bashrc that requires ssh.

    Thanks for responding.

    To clarify: When I boot up I get to the logon screen. I enter my
    username and password and hit enter. Then the OpenSSH passphrase prompt
    presents itself. I can either enter the passphrase or just hit Enter and
    then the KDE desktop loads. If I then open Konsole it will prompt me
    again for the passphrase if I didn't it enter it at logon.

    Under 2008.0/gnome I would only be prompted for the passphrase when I
    opened gnome-terminal and typed ssh 10.x.x.x and hit the enter key.

    Lardy.

  6. Re: OpenSSH

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 00:34:51 +0800, Lardy wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I was wondering if anyone knows how to disable OpenSSH asking for the
    >> passphrase when I...
    >>
    >> (i) Logon to Mandriva 2008.1/KDE

    > Remove the call to keychain in ~/.bash_profile ??

    I appreciate your input Bit Twister.

    I modified ~/.bash_profile as below but the prompt for the passphrase
    still occurs at logon.

    ~/.bash_profile original
    +----------------------+
    # .bash_profile

    # Initialize keychain if needed
    if [ -r $HOME/.ssh/identity -o -r $HOME/.ssh/id_dsa -o -r
    $HOME/.ssh/id_rsa ]; then
    if [ ! -d $HOME/.keychain ]; then
    keychain
    fi
    fi

    # Get the aliases and functions
    if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
    . ~/.bashrc
    fi

    # User specific environment and startup programs

    PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

    export PATH
    unset USERNAME
    +----------------------+

    ~/.bash_profile modified
    +----------------------+
    # .bash_profile

    # Initialize keychain if needed
    #if [ -r $HOME/.ssh/identity -o -r $HOME/.ssh/id_dsa -o -r
    $HOME/.ssh/id_rsa ]; then
    # if [ ! -d $HOME/.keychain ]; then
    # keychain
    # fi
    #fi

    # Get the aliases and functions
    if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
    . ~/.bashrc
    fi

    # User specific environment and startup programs

    PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

    export PATH
    unset USERNAME
    +----------------------+

    Lardy

  7. Re: OpenSSH

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 08:44:48 +0800, Lardy wrote:

    > I modified ~/.bash_profile as below but the prompt for the passphrase
    > still occurs at logon.

    Hmm, I wonder if something is still running.

    Do a
    ps aux | grep keychain
    ps aux | grep ssh
    and kill anything you find running.

  8. Re: OpenSSH

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 00:55:38 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 08:44:48 +0800, Lardy wrote:
    >>
    >> I modified ~/.bash_profile as below but the prompt for the passphrase
    >> still occurs at logon.

    > Hmm, I wonder if something is still running.
    >
    > Do a
    > ps aux | grep keychain
    > ps aux | grep ssh
    > and kill anything you find running.

    You might want to leave the
    /usr/sbin/sshd daemon running by root.

  9. Re: OpenSSH

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 20:44:34 -0400, Lardy wrote:

    > then the KDE desktop loads. If I then open Konsole it will prompt me
    > again for the passphrase if I didn't it enter it at logon.

    ~/.bashrc is executed everytime you open a terminal.
    ~/.bashrc executes /etc/bashrc
    /etc/bashrc executes /etc/profile.d/*.sh including /etc/profile.d/99keychain.sh
    99keychain.sh executes keychain, if ~/.keychain exists.

    Rename ~/.keychain to something else, except when you are planning
    on using ssh.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  10. Re: OpenSSH

    Lardy writes:

    >Unruh wrote:
    >> Aragorn writes:

    >>> I am not really sure what it is that you're trying to say... Are you saying
    >>> that when you log into KDE on your local box, _*openssh*_ asks you for a
    >>> password whenever you open up a /Konsole/ window?

    >>> That would be highly peculiar, and in my humble opinion unrelated
    >>> to /openssh./

    >>> Please elaborate...?

    >> He might have an openssh daemon that stores the keys running under kde. Or
    >> he might have something in .bashrc that requires ssh.
    >>

    >Thanks for responding.

    >To clarify: When I boot up I get to the logon screen. I enter my
    >username and password and hit enter. Then the OpenSSH passphrase prompt
    >presents itself. I can either enter the passphrase or just hit Enter and
    >then the KDE desktop loads. If I then open Konsole it will prompt me
    >again for the passphrase if I didn't it enter it at logon.

    Well, again, it sounds like you have something in your .bashrc file
    (assuming you run bash).
    Eg, ssh-askpass

    >Under 2008.0/gnome I would only be prompted for the passphrase when I
    >opened gnome-terminal and typed ssh 10.x.x.x and hit the enter key.

    >Lardy.

  11. Re: OpenSSH

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 20:44:34 -0400, Lardy wrote:
    >
    >> then the KDE desktop loads. If I then open Konsole it will prompt me
    >> again for the passphrase if I didn't it enter it at logon.

    > ~/.bashrc is executed everytime you open a terminal.
    > ~/.bashrc executes /etc/bashrc
    > /etc/bashrc executes /etc/profile.d/*.sh including /etc/profile.d/99keychain.sh
    > 99keychain.sh executes keychain, if ~/.keychain exists.
    >
    > Rename ~/.keychain to something else, except when you are planning
    > on using ssh.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Thanks Dave.

    I renamed ~/.keychain and the passphrase prompt only presents when I
    type "ssh 10.x.x.x" into an already open Konsole session. I am then able
    to enter the passphrase and access my headless server.

    Lardy.

  12. Re: OpenSSH

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 00:55:38 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:
    >> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 08:44:48 +0800, Lardy wrote:
    >>> I modified ~/.bash_profile as below but the prompt for the passphrase
    >>> still occurs at logon.

    >> Hmm, I wonder if something is still running.
    >>
    >> Do a
    >> ps aux | grep keychain
    >> ps aux | grep ssh
    >> and kill anything you find running.

    > You might want to leave the
    > /usr/sbin/sshd daemon running by root.

    Thanks for your input Bit Twister. I ended up following Dave's
    suggestion and renamed ~/.keychain to resolve the issue.

    Lardy.

  13. Re: OpenSSH

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 13:50:06 +0800, Lardy wrote:

    > I ended up following Dave's
    > suggestion and renamed ~/.keychain to resolve the issue.

    That is OK.
    My post install procedure modifies ~/.bash_profile
    before bittwister logs in for the first time. ~/.keychain was never
    created and I never had to run the problem to ground.

+ Reply to Thread