Mandriva 2008.1 broke my wireless - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Mandriva 2008.1 broke my wireless - Mandriva ; I've used my Compaq Armada E500 laptop with Mandriva since 2007.0. My Cisco wireless card has always worked without any issue using a Linux driver. I think it uses the airo_cs module, but it's hard for me to tell without ...

  1. Mandriva 2008.1 broke my wireless

    I've used my Compaq Armada E500 laptop with Mandriva since
    2007.0. My Cisco wireless card has always worked without any
    issue using a Linux driver. I think it uses the airo_cs module,
    but it's hard for me to tell without reinstalling 2008.0.

    When I boot 2008.1 there's a long (a few minutes) pause after I
    see the following boot-up message (without the line breaks):

    Starting udev: modprobe: WARNING Error inserting padlock_aes
    (/lib/modules/2.6.24.4-laptop-1mnb/kernel/drivers/crypto/padlock-aes.ko.gz):
    No such device

    Before that message the power and traffic lights on the
    card flash. After that message those lights never light
    again. Needless to say, networking doesn't work. If I remove
    the wireless card, then the above error doesn't occur, and the
    machine boots up without pausing.

    I've tried installing a few times, with various amounts of
    "extras" selected by me, or nothing but the KDE minimal
    installation. I've tried using other kernels off the PowerPack
    (downloaded) i586 DVD, but all of them have the same behavior.

    This problem seems a little bit related to
    http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=84446 but the driver is
    different.

    How can I get this to work? What other troubleshooting info would
    be useful for me to post here?

    Thanks....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  2. Re: Mandriva 2008.1 broke my wireless

    nobody@tek.com (Kevin the Drummer) writes:

    >I've used my Compaq Armada E500 laptop with Mandriva since
    >2007.0. My Cisco wireless card has always worked without any
    >issue using a Linux driver. I think it uses the airo_cs module,
    >but it's hard for me to tell without reinstalling 2008.0.

    >When I boot 2008.1 there's a long (a few minutes) pause after I
    >see the following boot-up message (without the line breaks):

    >Starting udev: modprobe: WARNING Error inserting padlock_aes
    >(/lib/modules/2.6.24.4-laptop-1mnb/kernel/drivers/crypto/padlock-aes.ko.gz):
    >No such device

    Well, there is a padlock.ko modules on 2.6.17 so it looks like it was
    (accidentally?) removed in the kernel on 2008.1
    Does it exist? ls /lib/modules/*/kernel/drivers/crypto
    If it does, try running depmod and then reinstalling the airo_cs module. If
    that does not work, try installing it directly
    modprobe padlock
    If it does not, then it looks as if mandriva goofed-- lodge a bug report to
    qa.mandriva.com

    Or you could try doing
    ln -sf /lib/modules/2.6.24.4-laptop-1mnb/kernel/drivers/crypto/padlock{,-aes}.ko.gz

    run depmod and see if that works.

    >Before that message the power and traffic lights on the
    >card flash. After that message those lights never light
    >again. Needless to say, networking doesn't work. If I remove
    >the wireless card, then the above error doesn't occur, and the
    >machine boots up without pausing.

    >I've tried installing a few times, with various amounts of
    >"extras" selected by me, or nothing but the KDE minimal
    >installation. I've tried using other kernels off the PowerPack
    >(downloaded) i586 DVD, but all of them have the same behavior.

    >This problem seems a little bit related to
    >http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=84446 but the driver is
    >different.

    >How can I get this to work? What other troubleshooting info would
    >be useful for me to post here?

    >Thanks....

    >--
    >PLEASE post a SUMMARY of the answer(s) to your question(s)!
    >Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.
    >Unless otherwise noted, the statements herein reflect my personal
    >opinions and not those of any organization with which I may be affiliated.

  3. SOLVED! Re: Mandriva 2008.1 broke my wireless

    Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    > I've used my Compaq Armada E500 laptop with Mandriva since
    > 2007.0. My Cisco wireless card has always worked without any
    > issue using a Linux driver. I think it uses the airo_cs module,
    > but it's hard for me to tell without reinstalling 2008.0.
    >
    > When I boot 2008.1 there's a long (a few minutes) pause after I
    > see the following boot-up message (without the line breaks):
    >

    > Starting udev: modprobe: WARNING Error inserting padlock_aes
    > (/lib/modules/2.6.24.4-laptop-1mnb/kernel/drivers/crypto/padlock-aes.ko.gz):
    > No such device
    >

    > Before that message the power and traffic lights on the
    > card flash. After that message those lights never light
    > again. Needless to say, networking doesn't work. If I remove
    > the wireless card, then the above error doesn't occur, and the
    > machine boots up without pausing.

    I found my answer. The clue was here:

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...22/+bug/195218

    I created a file called /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-aironet and in
    it I put the lines:

    blacklist padlock_aes
    blacklist geode_aes

    After that I no longer get long delays when booting at the
    "starting udev" step. My Cisco wireless card works again.

    FYI....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  4. Re: SOLVED! Re: Mandriva 2008.1 broke my wireless

    Op woensdag 16-04-2008 om 15:50 uur [tijdzone +0000], schreef Kevin the
    Drummer:

    > I found my answer. The clue was here:
    >
    > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...22/+bug/195218
    >
    > I created a file called /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-aironet and in
    > it I put the lines:

    You may want to report this information to bugzilla.mandriva.com so that
    they can issue an update that fixes this problem for everyone else.

    --
    Reinout van Schouwen
    http://vanschouwen.info/

  5. Re: SOLVED! Re: Mandriva 2008.1 broke my wireless

    Reinout van Schouwen wrote:

    > Op woensdag 16-04-2008 om 15:50 uur [tijdzone +0000], schreef Kevin the
    > Drummer:
    >
    > > I found my answer. The clue was here:
    > >
    > > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...22/+bug/195218
    > >
    > > I created a file called /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-aironet and in
    > > it I put the lines:

    > You may want to report this information to bugzilla.mandriva.com so that
    > they can issue an update that fixes this problem for everyone else.

    They alrady have bug number 40102 reported, relating to a different
    Cisco wireless card and resulting from the same padlock_aes and
    geode_aes issue. I added a description of my experience to that bug
    report. Thanks for the idea....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.