vmware agane - Mandriva

This is a discussion on vmware agane - Mandriva ; I can't get vmware server to compile it's kernel stuff on my 2008.1 system how can I make this work??????...

  1. vmware agane

    I can't get vmware server to compile it's kernel stuff on my 2008.1 system

    how can I make this work??????

  2. Re: vmware agane

    chris gareau wrote:

    > I can't get vmware server to compile it's kernel stuff on my 2008.1 system
    >
    > how can I make this work??????

    I have had that problem in the past. First, can you post the last few lines
    shown in the console window, from the first error line onwards. It may
    reveal if something is missing, such as a library.

  3. Re: vmware agane

    chris gareau wrote:
    > I can't get vmware server to compile it's kernel stuff on my 2008.1 system
    >
    > how can I make this work??????

    That is because VMware server does not have the right kernel
    version module/script at this moment. It's irritating, but
    solvable...

    Just install VMware server (from the tarball - do not try to
    install the rpm). If the question pops up if you want to run
    the configure script say no. Installation wil end at this point.

    Now download and untar the any-any update. You can find it
    at:
    http://vmkernelnewbies.googlegroups....update-116.tgz

    Go into the unpacked directory and run: ./runme.pl

    After patching the script wants to run the configuration.
    You can say yes, and the whole installation will run with
    only a few warnings when compiling. You can ignore these
    warnings.

    There is only one thing left to do. When you try to start
    VMware server you will get a error saying:

    /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware:
    /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1: version
    `GCC_4.2.0' not found (required by /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6)

    VMware want to use his own library, but there is a version
    mismatch with the system library's. You can easy correct
    this problem by giving the next commands:

    cd /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
    mv libgcc_s.so.1 libgcc_s.so.1.old
    ln -sf /lib/libgcc_s.so.1

    Now start VMware server again, and everything will work
    smoothly..

    John.

  4. Re: vmware agane

    John Kloosterman wrote:
    > chris gareau wrote:
    >> I can't get vmware server to compile it's kernel stuff on my 2008.1
    >> system
    >>
    >> how can I make this work??????

    > That is because VMware server does not have the right kernel version
    > module/script at this moment. It's irritating, but solvable...
    >
    > Just install VMware server (from the tarball - do not try to install the
    > rpm). If the question pops up if you want to run the configure script
    > say no. Installation wil end at this point.
    >
    > Now download and untar the any-any update. You can find it at:
    > http://vmkernelnewbies.googlegroups....update-116.tgz
    >
    > Go into the unpacked directory and run: ./runme.pl
    >
    > After patching the script wants to run the configuration. You can say
    > yes, and the whole installation will run with only a few warnings when
    > compiling. You can ignore these warnings.
    >
    > There is only one thing left to do. When you try to start VMware server
    > you will get a error saying:
    >
    > /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware:
    > /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_4.2.0' not
    > found (required by /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6)
    >
    > VMware want to use his own library, but there is a version mismatch with
    > the system library's. You can easy correct this problem by giving the
    > next commands:
    >
    > cd /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
    > mv libgcc_s.so.1 libgcc_s.so.1.old
    > ln -sf /lib/libgcc_s.so.1
    >
    > Now start VMware server again, and everything will work smoothly..
    >
    > John.

    thanx man worked perfectly

  5. Re: vmware agane

    John Kloosterman wrote:
    > chris gareau wrote:
    >> I can't get vmware server to compile it's kernel stuff on my 2008.1
    >> system
    >>
    >> how can I make this work??????

    > That is because VMware server does not have the right kernel version
    > module/script at this moment. It's irritating, but solvable...
    >
    > Just install VMware server (from the tarball - do not try to install the
    > rpm). If the question pops up if you want to run the configure script
    > say no. Installation wil end at this point.
    >
    > Now download and untar the any-any update. You can find it at:
    > http://vmkernelnewbies.googlegroups....update-116.tgz
    >
    > Go into the unpacked directory and run: ./runme.pl
    >
    > After patching the script wants to run the configuration. You can say
    > yes, and the whole installation will run with only a few warnings when
    > compiling. You can ignore these warnings.
    >
    > There is only one thing left to do. When you try to start VMware server
    > you will get a error saying:
    >
    > /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware:
    > /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_4.2.0' not
    > found (required by /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6)
    >
    > VMware want to use his own library, but there is a version mismatch with
    > the system library's. You can easy correct this problem by giving the
    > next commands:
    >
    > cd /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
    > mv libgcc_s.so.1 libgcc_s.so.1.old
    > ln -sf /lib/libgcc_s.so.1
    >
    > Now start VMware server again, and everything will work smoothly..
    >
    > John.

    ok cool now can you help me get the consel for vmware working on my
    laptop???

+ Reply to Thread