I give up. - Mandriva

This is a discussion on I give up. - Mandriva ; That's it..**** it. I am a reboot off deleting Mandriva. WTF is the point in having a tool in the Control Centre to find and mount Windows shares if the ****ing thing doesn't work? I have to be able to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

  1. I give up.

    That's it..**** it.

    I am a reboot off deleting Mandriva. WTF is the point in having a tool
    in the Control Centre to find and mount Windows shares if the ****ing
    thing doesn't work?

    I have to be able to network to Windows and its ****ing broken and I've
    given 3 hours to ****ing around in CLI trying to get ****ing SAMBA to
    work.

    **** it. At the moment, bootcfg /fixmbr looks like it's going to happen
    because I've got the choice of working wifi and not killing my lappy
    hard drive but not being able to access windows shares without some
    serious ****ing about in Mandriva or I can access the shares but wifi
    is broke and I can have the click of death in Ubuntu - I can't be arsed
    downloading and learning yet another distro.

    --
    Conor

    looking good either. - Scott Adams

  2. Re: I give up.

    Conor wrote:

    > That's it..**** it.
    >
    > ... if the ****ing thing doesn't work?
    >
    > .. and its ****ing broken and ...
    > ... to get ****ing SAMBA to work.
    >
    > **** it. ... serious ****ing about in ...

    **** you.

    ]-[an.
    = Han Willemsen - =
    = Via IPv6 - Utrecht - Netherlands =

  3. Re: I give up.

    Conor wrote:

    [Snip]

    I was going to reply with some help, but given the post up until now, I
    thought...

    > **** it.

    Exactly. Run off back to windows.

    --
    Weblog - http://inbothworlds.wordpress.com/
    R.L.U. #300033 - MDV 2006 - KDE 3.4

  4. Re: I give up.

    Dave wrote:

    > Conor wrote:
    >
    > [Snip]
    >
    > I was going to reply with some help, but given the post up until now, I
    > thought...
    >
    >> **** it.

    > Exactly. Run off back to windows.

    I find it linguistically puzzling how a slang word for sexual intercourse
    finds itself embedded into the English language as a verb, adverb and
    adjective that is obviously put into a sentence to alleviate mental
    stress...

    In other languages, there are similar interjections in regular sentences to
    express anger, resentment or frustration, but in those other languages,
    those interjections usually refer to slang terms for faeces or urine.

    I can only presume that once upon a time in the history of the English
    language, a large enough amount of English-speakers to become
    linguistically influential all found themselves confronted with a
    presumably large amount of contemporary people suffering from Tourette
    Syndrome...

    Peculiar...! :-)

    --
    Aragorn
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  5. Re: I give up.

    Conor trolled:

    > That's it..**** it.
    >
    > I am a reboot off deleting Mandriva. WTF is the point in having a tool
    > in the Control Centre to find and mount Windows shares if the ****ing
    > thing doesn't work?
    >
    > I have to be able to network to Windows and its ****ing broken and I've
    > given 3 hours to ****ing around in CLI trying to get ****ing SAMBA to
    > work.
    >
    > **** it. At the moment, bootcfg /fixmbr looks like it's going to happen
    > because I've got the choice of working wifi and not killing my lappy
    > hard drive but not being able to access windows shares without some
    > serious ****ing about in Mandriva or I can access the shares but wifi
    > is broke and I can have the click of death in Ubuntu - I can't be arsed
    > downloading and learning yet another distro.

    That's your ****ing problem.

  6. Re: I give up.

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 14:19:51 +0100, Conor wrote:

    > serious ****ing about in Mandriva or I can access the shares but wifi
    > is broke and I can have the click of death in Ubuntu - I can't be arsed
    > downloading and learning yet another distro.

    Learning "another distro"? Sounds like you've yet to learn the first one.

    **** off, dickmunch, and stick with Windoze.

  7. Re: I give up.

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 17:12:23 +0200, Aragorn wrote:

    > I find it linguistically puzzling how a slang word for sexual intercourse
    > finds itself embedded into the English language as a verb, adverb and
    > adjective that is obviously put into a sentence to alleviate mental
    > stress...

    Well, well. Look who's back. Hello again, Mr. Aspy.

    > I can only presume that once upon a time in the history of the English
    > language, a large enough amount of English-speakers to become
    > linguistically influential all found themselves confronted with a
    > presumably large amount of contemporary people suffering from Tourette
    > Syndrome...

    Here's some light reading for you:

    http://www.sigg3.net/myself/****.html

    And a nice video lesson:

    http://www.maniacworld.com/f-81.htm

  8. Re: I give up.

    Aragorn writes:

    > Dave wrote:
    >
    >> Conor wrote:
    >>
    >> [Snip]
    >>
    >> I was going to reply with some help, but given the post up until now, I
    >> thought...
    >>
    >>> **** it.

    >> Exactly. Run off back to windows.

    > I find it linguistically puzzling how a slang word for sexual intercourse
    > finds itself embedded into the English language as a verb, adverb and
    > adjective that is obviously put into a sentence to alleviate mental
    > stress...

    Probably has more to do with the way the word sounds
    than what it means.

  9. Re: I give up.

    Dan C wrote:

    > On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 17:12:23 +0200, Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> I find it linguistically puzzling how a slang word for sexual intercourse
    >> finds itself embedded into the English language as a verb, adverb and
    >> adjective that is obviously put into a sentence to alleviate mental
    >> stress...

    > Well, well. Look who's back. Hello again, Mr. Aspy.

    It should be spelled "Aspie", with "ie"... If you're gonna call me
    names, then at least do it right.

    >> I can only presume that once upon a time in the history of the English
    >> language, a large enough amount of English-speakers to become
    >> linguistically influential all found themselves confronted with a
    >> presumably large amount of contemporary people suffering from Tourette
    >> Syndrome...

    > Here's some light reading for you:
    >
    > http://www.sigg3.net/myself/****.html

    That text states that the English f-word stems from the German "fliechen",
    which seems too far-fetched given the quite different pronunciation. I
    would rather believe that it linguistically stems from an abbreviation of
    the word "fornication" (and "fornicate", "fornicating", et al) -) - similar
    to "coz'" coming from "because", "prolly" from "probably" and "varsity"
    from "university", as well as the contractions "I'm, "I'll", et al.
    Pronunciation-wise, that would make much more sense, because an "r" and a
    "c" (pronounced as a "k") are much more prone to suppression when
    abbreviating than an "l", especially when that "l" is preceded by another
    consonant.

    Also, the text gives various examples of the usage of the f-word in English
    language - usages that I am very much aware of - but it does not explain
    why a word with an originally sexual meaning came to be absorbed into the
    English language as an expression of frustration, anger, resentment, or
    whatever other negative meanings ascribed to it.

    Likewise, as I have stated, in most other languages, other slang terms are
    used to put such an emphasis in a sentence, most of them pertaining to
    either some alternative word for "mad(ness)", an alternative word for
    "crime/criminal", or an alternative word for "faeces".

    On the other hand, the Dutch people seem to be including a lot of such
    slangs into their language based upon another subject than faeces or sexual
    activity. A lot of their slangs encompass words for diseases - some of
    which are sexually transmittable, yes.

    Here in the Flanders on the other hand, the English slangs are becoming
    quite mainstream now; up until the mid-1980's, most of such slangs were
    either originally Flemish or French, and the Flemish variants were
    dialectic references to testicles - the latter mainly stemming from the
    connotation that if a particular situation were a live person, he'd get a
    kick in the testicles.

    Hmm... I suppose linguistic psychology could eventually tie in the f-word
    with expressions of frustration or anger if one considers sexual
    intercourse to be an act of violent nature - which it sometimes is,
    unfortunately. I guess it _must_ be tied in with anger or violence one way
    or another, because of (some of) the symptoms of Tourette Syndrome and the
    neurological subcontext surrounding this condition.

    > And a nice video lesson:
    >
    > http://www.maniacworld.com/f-81.htm

    I think I'll pass on clicking that one...

    --
    Aragorn
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  10. Re: I give up.

    Dan Espen wrote:

    > Aragorn writes:
    >
    >> Dave wrote:
    >>
    >>> Conor wrote:
    >>>
    >>> [Snip]
    >>>
    >>> I was going to reply with some help, but given the post up until now, I
    >>> thought...

    >>> Exactly. Run off back to windows.

    >> I find it linguistically puzzling how a slang word for sexual intercourse
    >> finds itself embedded into the English language as a verb, adverb and
    >> adjective that is obviously put into a sentence to alleviate mental
    >> stress...

    > Probably has more to do with the way the word sounds than what it means.

    That may be true... Single-syllable words offer themselves more to
    less-controlled emotional expressions than others. ;-)

    --
    Aragorn
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  11. Re: I give up.

    Conor wrote:
    > That's it..**** it.

    How is anybody supposed to offer help if the sole description of the
    problem is "the f***ing thing doesn't work"? If you want to get an
    answer to a problem, rather than to just vent, it is usually best to
    actually tell us what is wrong.

    So, starting from roughly zero info, my best guess is that the problems
    you are seeing are the result of your firewall blocking the packets you
    need. Mandriva most likely set up a pretty stringent set of firewall
    rules, and you have not told it to relax these. To test this (on an
    isolated subnet!) turn off your firewall. Doing so is not the most
    obvious thing in the world, since:

    service shorewall stop

    by itself does not actually get the firewall out of the way, it must be
    followed by

    service iptables stop

    Anyway, try that and you should be able to mount and export. Once
    that is set up modify the appropriate file(s) in
    /etc/shorewall to allow this interaction, and then turn the firewall
    back on.

    Note, in the control center look at the firewall options - there is
    definitely one to let Mandriva act as a Samba server. In fact, you
    should have seen this option at installation. I do not know if enabling
    the Samba server rule is sufficient to let the same machine also mount
    Windows shares.

    Regards,

    David Mathog

  12. Re: I give up.

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 13:47:15 -0400, David Mathog wrote:

    > rules, and you have not told it to relax these. To test this (on an
    > isolated subnet!) turn off your firewall. Doing so is not the most
    > obvious thing in the world, since:
    > service shorewall stop
    > by itself does not actually get the firewall out of the way, it must be
    > followed by
    > service iptables stop

    Instead of the above, to allow all traffic, use the command "shorewall clear".
    When you're done testing, use "service shorewall restart", to reload the
    normal rules.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  13. Re: I give up.

    Han Willemsen wrote:

    > Conor wrote:
    >
    >> That's it..**** it.
    >>
    >> ... if the ****ing thing doesn't work?
    >>
    >> .. and its ****ing broken and ...
    >> ... to get ****ing SAMBA to work.
    >>
    >> **** it. ... serious ****ing about in ...

    > **** you.

    Well that says it all!!!!!!!!!!!
    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  14. Re: I give up.

    Aragorn wrote:

> [...]

    > quite mainstream now; up until the mid-1980's, most of such slangs were
    > either originally Flemish or French, and the Flemish variants were
    > dialectic references to testicles - the latter mainly stemming from the
    > connotation that if a particular situation were a live person, he'd get a
    > kick in the testicles.
    >
    > Hmm... I suppose linguistic psychology could eventually tie in the f-word
    > with expressions of frustration or anger if one considers sexual
    > intercourse to be an act of violent nature - which it sometimes is,
    > unfortunately. I guess it _must_ be tied in with anger or violence one
    > way or another, because of (some of) the symptoms of Tourette Syndrome and
    > the neurological subcontext surrounding this condition.
    >
    >> And a nice video lesson:
    >>
    >> http://www.maniacworld.com/f-81.htm

    > I think I'll pass on clicking that one...

    Welcome back!!! Your input has been missed.

    Rich
    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  15. Re: I give up.

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 14:19:51 +0100, Conor wrote:
    > That's it..**** it.
    >
    > I am a reboot off deleting Mandriva. WTF is the point in having a tool
    > in the Control Centre to find and mount Windows shares if the ****ing
    > thing doesn't work?

    Must be a malfunction in the biological unit between the keyboard and
    chair.

    I clicked Share drives and directories with Windows
    Clicked second radio button.
    Told the wizard the workgroup, directory, permissions and bittwister
    with password to use. finished the wizard.

    Poked a hole in shorewall's rules file for my doze pc.
    Booted XP Home on another system, created a user account bittwister
    with the wizard entered password.
    Little bit of navigation in the Windows Explorer and
    under MDKGROUP was /home/bittwister directory in my linux box.

    Piece of cake.

  16. Re: I give up.

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 19:08:02 +0200, Aragorn wrote:

    >> http://www.maniacworld.com/f-81.htm

    > I think I'll pass on clicking that one...

    It's not what you may be thinking it is...

    It's a very humorous explanation of the versatility of the F-word.

  17. Re: I give up.

    "Conor" wrote in message
    > That's it..**** it.
    >
    > I am a reboot off deleting Mandriva. WTF is the point in having a tool
    > in the Control Centre to find and mount Windows shares if the ****ing
    > thing doesn't work?
    >
    > I have to be able to network to Windows and its ****ing broken and I've
    > given 3 hours to ****ing around in CLI trying to get ****ing SAMBA to
    > work.
    >
    > **** it. At the moment, bootcfg /fixmbr looks like it's going to happen
    > because I've got the choice of working wifi and not killing my lappy
    > hard drive but not being able to access windows shares without some
    > serious ****ing about in Mandriva or I can access the shares but wifi
    > is broke and I can have the click of death in Ubuntu - I can't be arsed
    > downloading and learning yet another distro.

    LOL !!! And your networking skills too !! If i can do it, anyone can !!
    ;-)

  18. Re: I give up.

    evodawg wrote:

    > Welcome back!!! Your input has been missed.
    >
    > Rich

    Muchas gra├žias, merci beaucoup, vielen dank, hartelijk bedankt, grazi, domo
    arregato, oh, and thanks a lot as well...

    --
    Aragorn
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  19. Re: I give up.

    Dan C wrote:

    > On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 19:08:02 +0200, Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >>> http://www.maniacworld.com/f-81.htm

    >> I think I'll pass on clicking that one...

    > It's not what you may be thinking it is...
    >
    > It's a very humorous explanation of the versatility of the F-word.

    Oh okay then, I'll go on and watch it now. My apologies for the
    mistake... ;-)

    --
    Aragorn
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  20. Re: I give up.

    Aragorn wrote:

    > Dan C wrote:

    >>> I think I'll pass on clicking that one...

    >> It's not what you may be thinking it is...
    >>
    >> It's a very humorous explanation of the versatility of the F-word.

    > Oh okay then, I'll go on and watch it now. My apologies for the
    > mistake... ;-)

    Funny it was indeed. Hmm... Kind of reminds me of the use of the word
    "smurf" by the little blue critters who also wear it as a name; they were
    drawn up by a Belgian, by the way, although he was French-speaking and the
    original word was therefore "schtroumpf" - the "ou" is pronounced as an
    English "oo".

    In Dutch we also use the word "smurf" for them, as in English, and I
    personally think it has a funnier ring to it. :-)