I give up. - Mandriva

This is a discussion on I give up. - Mandriva ; Conor wrote: > That's it..**** it. > > the Control Centre to find and mount Windows shares if the ****ing thing > > I have to be able to network to Windows and its ****ing broken and I've > given ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51

  1. Re: I give up.

    Conor wrote:

    > That's it..**** it.
    >
    > the Control Centre to find and mount Windows shares if the ****ing thing
    >
    > I have to be able to network to Windows and its ****ing broken and I've
    > given 3 hours to ****ing around in CLI trying to get ****ing SAMBA to
    > work.
    >
    > **** it. At the moment, bootcfg /fixmbr looks like it's going to happen

    > ****ing about in Mandriva or I can access the shares but wifi is broke

    Don't let the ****ing door hit you in the ****ing ass on the ****ing way
    out.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  2. Re: I give up.

    Aragorn wrote:

    > Dave wrote:
    >
    >> Conor wrote:
    >>
    >> [Snip]
    >>
    >> I was going to reply with some help, but given the post up until now, I
    >> thought...
    >>
    >>> **** it.

    >> Exactly. Run off back to windows.

    > I find it linguistically puzzling how a slang word for sexual intercourse
    > finds itself embedded into the English language as a verb, adverb and
    > adjective that is obviously put into a sentence to alleviate mental
    > stress...

    I believe it has a really long history with various stages of intensity of
    meaning.

    PS. Nice to see you have returned, also

    --
    faeychild

  3. Re: I give up.

    faeychild wrote:

    > Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> Dave wrote:
    >>
    >>> Conor wrote:
    >>>
    >>> [Snip]
    >>>
    >>> I was going to reply with some help, but given the post up until now, I
    >>> thought...

    >>> Exactly. Run off back to windows.

    >> I find it linguistically puzzling how a slang word for sexual intercourse
    >> finds itself embedded into the English language as a verb, adverb and
    >> adjective that is obviously put into a sentence to alleviate mental
    >> stress...

    > I believe it has a really long history with various stages of intensity of
    > meaning.

    Must be. Language-forming is a complex and ever-evolving thing. ;-)

    > PS. Nice to see you have returned, also

    And nice to see you again too! :-)

    --
    Aragorn
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  4. Re: I give up.

    Conor wrote:
    > That's it..**** it.
    >
    > I am a reboot off deleting Mandriva. WTF is the point in having a tool
    > in the Control Centre to find and mount Windows shares if the ****ing
    > thing doesn't work?
    >
    > I have to be able to network to Windows and its ****ing broken and I've
    > given 3 hours to ****ing around in CLI trying to get ****ing SAMBA to
    > work.
    >
    > **** it. At the moment, bootcfg /fixmbr looks like it's going to happen
    > because I've got the choice of working wifi and not killing my lappy
    > hard drive but not being able to access windows shares without some
    > serious ****ing about in Mandriva or I can access the shares but wifi
    > is broke and I can have the click of death in Ubuntu - I can't be arsed
    > downloading and learning yet another distro.

    If you have nothing better to do than **** around for 3 hours
    and then complain because you did not know what you were doing
    and accomplished nothing -- and not even bother to mention
    anything that might help someone provide a clue for you,
    please do **** off, and don't bother coming back.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  5. Re: I give up.

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 14:19:51 +0100, Conor wrote:

    > That's it..**** it.
    >
    > I am a reboot off deleting Mandriva. WTF is the point in having a tool
    > in the Control Centre to find and mount Windows shares if the ****ing
    > thing doesn't work?
    >
    > I have to be able to network to Windows and its ****ing broken and I've
    > given 3 hours to ****ing around in CLI trying to get ****ing SAMBA to
    > work.
    >
    > **** it. At the moment, bootcfg /fixmbr looks like it's going to happen
    > because I've got the choice of working wifi and not killing my lappy
    > hard drive but not being able to access windows shares without some
    > serious ****ing about in Mandriva or I can access the shares but wifi is
    > broke and I can have the click of death in Ubuntu - I can't be arsed
    > downloading and learning yet another distro.

    Good bye.

    Nice to see you go.

    Don't bother to come back.

  6. Re: I give up.

    Conor wrote:

    > That's it..**** it.
    >
    > I am a reboot off deleting Mandriva. WTF is the point in having a tool
    > in the Control Centre to find and mount Windows shares if the ****ing
    > thing doesn't work?
    >
    > I have to be able to network to Windows and its ****ing broken and I've
    > given 3 hours to ****ing around in CLI trying to get ****ing SAMBA to
    > work.
    >
    > **** it. At the moment, bootcfg /fixmbr looks like it's going to happen
    > because I've got the choice of working wifi and not killing my lappy
    > hard drive but not being able to access windows shares without some
    > serious ****ing about in Mandriva or I can access the shares but wifi
    > is broke and I can have the click of death in Ubuntu - I can't be arsed
    > downloading and learning yet another distro.

    I know how you feel, and I am inclined to vent like you too, but your post
    is scarcely helpful. If you have struck such a negative response, that is
    why.

    Mounting Windows shares is not easy. I still can't get Samba to work
    properly.

    I agree that you should not try Ubuntu -yet. Get one distro working before
    you sample others.

    Calm down, read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html and come
    back. Your reception will be far different.

    Doug,
    Registered Linux user - aged 65 with depression, which doesn't help. If I
    can do it, you can.

  7. Re: I give up.

    Dan Espen wrote:

    > Probably has more to do with the way the word sounds
    > than what it means.

    Perhaps. Years ago, a friend of mine wrote a commercial programme for the
    BBC computer, called "Frak!". It was designed to be both addictive and
    frustrating!

    C.

  8. Re: I give up.

    Aragorn skrev:
    > evodawg wrote:
    >
    >> Welcome back!!! Your input has been missed.
    >>
    >> Rich

    > Muchas graçias, merci beaucoup, vielen dank, hartelijk bedankt, grazi, domo
    > arregato, oh, and thanks a lot as well...

    And "takk" in Norwegian (Thankyou) =0)

    Roger

    --
    Mandriva Linux 2008 (Linuxcounter #432950)

    MSI K8TM, 1,0 Gb Memory, AMD Sempron 3000+ CPU
    ATI Sapphire Radeon X1600
    Be against others the way
    you want to be treated yourself

  9. Re: I give up.

    On 2008-04-14, Aragorn wrote:
    > Dave wrote:
    >
    >> Conor wrote:
    >>
    >> [Snip]
    >>
    >> I was going to reply with some help, but given the post up until now, I
    >> thought...
    >>
    >>> **** it.

    >> Exactly. Run off back to windows.

    > I find it linguistically puzzling how a slang word for sexual intercourse
    > finds itself embedded into the English language as a verb, adverb and
    > adjective that is obviously put into a sentence to alleviate mental
    > stress...
    >
    > In other languages, there are similar interjections in regular sentences to
    > express anger, resentment or frustration, but in those other languages,
    > those interjections usually refer to slang terms for faeces or urine.
    >
    > I can only presume that once upon a time in the history of the English
    > language, a large enough amount of English-speakers to become
    > linguistically influential all found themselves confronted with a
    > presumably large amount of contemporary people suffering from Tourette
    > Syndrome...
    >
    > Peculiar...! :-)

    It has been around for quite a while, whatever the etymology
    .

    It seems always to have been a "bad" word, so the sexual meanings may have
    attached to it later than its use as an expletive. It is not a gentle
    word even when used to describe "sexual congress" - it carries overtones
    of violence and aggression and inflicting pain or dishonour. **** does
    not belong with respect or love or affection or mutual pleasure - "bonk"
    or "shag" are much friendlier )

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  10. Re: I give up.

    Roger wrote:

    > Aragorn skrev:
    >
    >> Muchas graçias, merci beaucoup, vielen dank, hartelijk bedankt, grazi,
    >> domo arregato, oh, and thanks a lot as well...
    >>

    > And "takk" in Norwegian (Thankyou) =0)

    Indeed! I knew I had forgotten something. I know "takk" because we have a
    couple of Norwegians on our IRC network. They've also explained to me what
    "karsk" is, and how they always get themselves into trouble after consuming
    it.

    One of the anecdotes here is that I told that one guy that I too spoke
    Norwegian, just when he was drunk on karsk again, and he told me "Oh yeah?
    Same something in Norwegian". So I spoke the only Norwegian sentence I
    knew (while knowing what it means): "Fil ikke funnet". ;-)

    I think he wet himself that night...

    --
    Aragorn
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  11. Re: I give up.

    Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2008-04-14, Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> I can only presume that once upon a time in the history of the English
    >> language, a large enough amount of English-speakers to become
    >> linguistically influential all found themselves confronted with a
    >> presumably large amount of contemporary people suffering from Tourette
    >> Syndrome...
    >>
    >> Peculiar...! :-)

    > It has been around for quite a while, whatever the etymology
    > .
    >
    > It seems always to have been a "bad" word, so the sexual meanings may have
    > attached to it later than its use as an expletive. It is not a gentle
    > word even when used to describe "sexual congress" - it carries overtones
    > of violence and aggression and inflicting pain or dishonour. **** does
    > not belong with respect or love or affection or mutual pleasure - "bonk"
    > or "shag" are much friendlier )

    Interesting read! ;-) I was already aware of the term "For Unlawful Carnal
    Knowledge" because of the Van Halen album by that name, of which Sammy
    Hagar said in an interview that it was indeed an acronym and that was what
    it stood for. I didn't think it was true, though. :-)

    The Scandinavian explanation makes sense to me. Also, in Dutch, there is
    the verb "fokken", or the noun "fokker", which is a (non-slang) verb or
    noun to denote the breeding of animals, as in "veefokker" - the "ee" should
    be pronounced like the English "a" in "raven" - which means "a breeder of
    cattle". ;-)

    --
    Aragorn
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  12. Re: I give up.

    On 2008-04-15, Aragorn wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >> On 2008-04-14, Aragorn wrote:

    [...]

    > The Scandinavian explanation makes sense to me. Also, in Dutch, there is
    > the verb "fokken", or the noun "fokker", which is a (non-slang) verb or
    > noun to denote the breeding of animals, as in "veefokker" - the "ee" should
    > be pronounced like the English "a" in "raven" - which means "a breeder of
    > cattle". ;-)

    That sort of expression would call for very careful translation - a
    'straight' conversion into English would imply breeding /with/ rather than
    /of/ ...

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  13. Re: I give up.

    > Indeed! I knew I had forgotten something. I know "takk" because we have a
    > couple of Norwegians on our IRC network. They've also explained to me what
    > "karsk" is, and how they always get themselves into trouble after consuming
    > it.
    >
    > One of the anecdotes here is that I told that one guy that I too spoke
    > Norwegian, just when he was drunk on karsk again, and he told me "Oh yeah?
    > Same something in Norwegian". So I spoke the only Norwegian sentence I
    > knew (while knowing what it means): "Fil ikke funnet". ;-)
    >
    > I think he wet himself that night...

    Haha, never knew that Karsk was "internationally" known, you gave me a
    good laugh there.

    --
    Mandriva Linux 2008 (Linuxcounter #432950)

    MSI K8TM, 1,0 Gb Memory, AMD Sempron 3000+ CPU
    ATI Sapphire Radeon X1600
    Be against others the way
    you want to be treated yourself

  14. Re: I give up.

    Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2008-04-15, Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> The Scandinavian explanation makes sense to me. Also, in Dutch, there is
    >> the verb "fokken", or the noun "fokker", which is a (non-slang) verb or
    >> noun to denote the breeding of animals, as in "veefokker" - the "ee"
    >> should be pronounced like the English "a" in "raven" - which means "a
    >> breeder of cattle". ;-)

    > That sort of expression would call for very careful translation - a
    > 'straight' conversion into English would imply breeding /with/ rather than
    > /of/ ...

    I wonder if that is how the Minotaur came to be?

    --
    Aragorn
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  15. Re: I give up.

    On 2008-04-15, Aragorn wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-04-15, Aragorn wrote:
    >>
    >>> The Scandinavian explanation makes sense to me. Also, in Dutch, there is
    >>> the verb "fokken", or the noun "fokker", which is a (non-slang) verb or
    >>> noun to denote the breeding of animals, as in "veefokker" - the "ee"
    >>> should be pronounced like the English "a" in "raven" - which means "a
    >>> breeder of cattle". ;-)

    >> That sort of expression would call for very careful translation - a
    >> 'straight' conversion into English would imply breeding /with/ rather than
    >> /of/ ...

    > I wonder if that is how the Minotaur came to be?

    Actually, yes; precisely.

    King Minos of Crete had a precious white bull which he promised to the god
    Poseidon as a sacrifice, but he cheated and used a less valuable beast
    instead. Poseidon wasn't happy about that so he induced Minos's wife
    Pasiphae to lust after the prize bull; she engaged the architect Daedalus
    to build a wooden cow which she hid inside while the bull ... did what
    bulls will do when presented with a willing cow. The resultant offspring
    was half man, half bull (which half was which is not certain). The
    misbegotten beast was confined in a maze or labyrinth designed by Daedalus
    and Athenian virgins were regularly sacrificed to it until Theseus came
    along and after he promised to marry Minos's daughter Ariadne she got
    Daedalus to devise a way for him to escape from the maze after slaying the
    beast (Ariadne's half-brother). Daedalus provided a ball of thread.

    Minos didn't like losing his daughter and the monster both to Theseus and
    put Daedalus and /his/ son Icarus into the labyrinth - but having designed
    it they inevitably escaped, and to get away from Crete they built
    themselves wings ... but that's another story ...

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  16. Re: I give up.

    Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2008-04-15, Aragorn wrote:
    >> Whiskers wrote:

    >>> That sort of expression would call for very careful translation - a
    >>> 'straight' conversion into English would imply breeding /with/ rather
    >>> than /of/ ...

    >> I wonder if that is how the Minotaur came to be?

    > Actually, yes; precisely.
    >
    > King Minos of Crete had a precious white bull which he promised to the god
    > Poseidon as a sacrifice, but he cheated and used a less valuable beast
    > instead. Poseidon wasn't happy about that so he induced Minos's wife
    > Pasiphae to lust after the prize bull; she engaged the architect Daedalus
    > to build a wooden cow which she hid inside while the bull ... did what
    > bulls will do when presented with a willing cow.

    Hehe!

    > The resultant offspring was half man, half bull (which half was which is
    > not certain).

    In the pictures I've seen, the figure had a human body with a bull's neck
    and head. In the movie "Minotaur" however, the whole beast looked and
    moved like a (skinny) white bull, but had fangs like a carnivore.

    > The misbegotten beast was confined in a maze or labyrinth designed by
    > Daedalus and Athenian virgins were regularly sacrificed to it until
    > Theseus came along and after he promised to marry Minos's daughter Ariadne
    > she got Daedalus to devise a way for him to escape from the maze after
    > slaying the beast (Ariadne's half-brother). Daedalus provided a ball of
    > thread.

    I vaguely remember the story of Theseus and Ariadne, yes. I just didn't
    know for sure how that bull had come to be, although I had read that it was
    King Minos's son. So in effect, it was _not_ Minos's son but Pasiphae's
    son. ;-)

    > Minos didn't like losing his daughter and the monster both to Theseus and
    > put Daedalus and /his/ son Icarus into the labyrinth - but having designed
    > it they inevitably escaped, and to get away from Crete they built
    > themselves wings ... but that's another story ...

    I remember the story of Daedalus and Icarus - actually, the names you've
    used (and which are used by most people) are /Latinized,/ as the original
    Greek names were Thesos, Daedalos and Ikaros - and how Ikaros ended up
    flying too close to the sun, causing the wax that held the feathers of his
    wings together to melt away, upon which he crashed into the sea. I didn't
    know that Daedalos and Ikaros were tied in with the story of the Minotaur
    though. :-)

    Thanks for refreshing my memory of ancient history and straightening out the
    details. :-)

    --
    Aragorn
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  17. Re: I give up.

    On 2008-04-16, Aragorn wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:

    [...]

    > I remember the story of Daedalus and Icarus - actually, the names you've
    > used (and which are used by most people) are /Latinized,/ as the original
    > Greek names were Thesos, Daedalos and Ikaros - and how Ikaros ended up
    > flying too close to the sun, causing the wax that held the feathers of his
    > wings together to melt away, upon which he crashed into the sea. I didn't
    > know that Daedalos and Ikaros were tied in with the story of the Minotaur
    > though. :-)

    Θησεύς - Δαίδαλος - Ἴκαρος - actually it's quite difficult to find the
    Greek rendering on the web by typing in the Latin names. Which
    demonstrates the difficulty of 'minority' alphabets and orthographies. I
    haven't even tried to find the Linear-A or Linear-B renderings

    > Thanks for refreshing my memory of ancient history and straightening out the
    > details. :-)

    Hey, start a thread about Linux and who knows where you'll end up?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  18. Re: I give up.

    On Apr 15, 2:56 am, Aragorn wrote:
    > evodawg wrote:
    > > Welcome back!!! Your input has been missed.

    > > Rich

    > Muchas graias, merci beaucoup, vielen dank, hartelijk bedankt, grazi, domo
    > arregato, oh, and thanks a lot as well...
    >
    > --
    > Aragorn
    > (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

    ...from office...
    very late but welcome back from me as well...by the way, it is
    grazie;... grazie...with an "e " at the end......we have many vowels
    in Italian and they should all be spelled and pronounced...
    understanda?...eh?...
    :-)
    santo

  19. Re: I give up.

    Santo wrote:

    > On Apr 15, 2:56 am, Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> evodawg wrote:
    >>
    >> > Welcome back!!! Your input has been missed.

    >> Muchas graçias, merci beaucoup, vielen dank, hartelijk bedankt, grazi,
    >> domo arregato, oh, and thanks a lot as well...

    > ...from office...
    > very late but welcome back from me as well...by the way, it is
    > grazie;... grazie...with an "e " at the end......we have many vowels
    > in Italian and they should all be spelled and pronounced...
    > understanda?...eh?...
    > :-)

    Si, capisco. Nice to see you again too, old friend! :-))

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  20. Re: I give up.

    Santo wrote:
    > On Apr 15, 2:56 am, Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >>evodawg wrote:
    >>
    >>>Welcome back!!! Your input has been missed.

    >>>Rich

    >>Muchas graias, merci beaucoup, vielen dank, hartelijk bedankt, grazi, domo
    >>arregato, oh, and thanks a lot as well...
    >>
    >>--
    >>Aragorn
    >>(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

    > ...from office...
    > very late but welcome back from me as well...by the way, it is
    > grazie;... grazie...with an "e " at the end......we have many vowels
    > in Italian and they should all be spelled and pronounced...

    Consonants too, I heard; or at least I was told, when ordering penne
    pasta, that I had to pronounce BOTH of instances of the 'n'.