Problem with MCC Software Update - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Problem with MCC Software Update - Mandriva ; After successful use of MCC Software Update since installing 2008.0PP, these last 3 days I've been getting the following failure (also with Contrib Updates and Non-free Updates): "A fatal error occurred; It's impossible to retrieve the list of new packages ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Problem with MCC Software Update

  1. Problem with MCC Software Update

    After successful use of MCC Software Update since installing
    2008.0PP, these last 3 days I've been getting the following
    failure (also with Contrib Updates and Non-free Updates):

    "A fatal error occurred; It's impossible to retrieve the list
    of new packages from the media 'Main Updates (Official2008.0-1)'.
    Either this update media is misconfigured, and in this case you
    should use the Software Media Manager to remove it and re-add it
    in order to reconfigure it, either (or?!) it is currently
    unreachable and you should retry later..

    Anyone else having this problem?

    --
    /\/\aurice
    (Remove 'removethis.' to reply by email)


  2. Re: Problem with MCC Software Update

    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > After successful use of MCC Software Update since installing
    > 2008.0PP, these last 3 days I've been getting the following
    > failure (also with Contrib Updates and Non-free Updates):
    >
    > "A fatal error occurred; It's impossible to retrieve the list
    > of new packages from the media 'Main Updates (Official2008.0-1)'.
    > Either this update media is misconfigured, and in this case you
    > should use the Software Media Manager to remove it and re-add it
    > in order to reconfigure it, either (or?!) it is currently
    > unreachable and you should retry later..
    >
    > Anyone else having this problem?


    Does the URL of the repository you're using contain /current/ ? "Current"
    changed on April 9th to point to the *new* current, version 2008.1.
    --
    Dave

  3. Re: Problem with MCC Software Update

    On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 13:03:09 +0100, Dave Pickles wrote:

    > Does the URL of the repository you're using contain /current/ ?


    No:

    http://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrak...l/2008.0/i586/
    media/main/updates

    http://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrak...l/2008.0/i586/
    media/contrib/updates

    http://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrak...l/2008.0/i586/
    media/non-free/updates

    --
    /\/\aurice
    ((Remove 'removethis.' to reply by email)


  4. Re: Problem with MCC Software Update

    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 13:03:09 +0100, Dave Pickles wrote:
    >
    >> Does the URL of the repository you're using contain /current/ ?

    >
    > No:
    >
    > http://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrak...l/2008.0/i586/
    > media/main/updates
    >
    > http://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrak...l/2008.0/i586/
    > media/contrib/updates
    >
    > http://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrak...l/2008.0/i586/
    > media/non-free/updates
    >


    Opening those with a web browser produces the message:

    "It seems that you typed in an incorrect URL, or were redirected to an
    outdated HTML page by a search engine."

    I think they've pulled the 2008.0 distribution off their server. Other
    mirrors exist of course.
    --
    Dave

  5. Re: Problem with MCC Software Update

    On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 12:47:27 +0100, Maurice Batey wrote:
    > After successful use of MCC Software Update since installing
    > 2008.0PP, these last 3 days I've been getting the following
    > failure (also with Contrib Updates and Non-free Updates):
    >
    > "A fatal error occurred; It's impossible to retrieve the list
    > of new packages from the media 'Main Updates (Official2008.0-1)'.
    > Either this update media is misconfigured, and in this case you
    > should use the Software Media Manager to remove it and re-add it
    > in order to reconfigure it, either (or?!) it is currently
    > unreachable and you should retry later..
    >
    > Anyone else having this problem?


    Not me, but then again I did a clean install. I recommend doing
    basically what the application suggested.

    Delete all mirrors. go to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/
    (be ready for a supprise)

    Get back into MCC and delete the test and backport selections.
    Note: I did not suggest disable.


  6. Re: Problem with MCC Software Update

    Maurice Batey wrote:
    > After successful use of MCC Software Update since installing
    > 2008.0PP, these last 3 days I've been getting the following
    > failure (also with Contrib Updates and Non-free Updates):
    >
    > "A fatal error occurred; It's impossible to retrieve the list
    > of new packages from the media 'Main Updates (Official2008.0-1)'.
    > Either this update media is misconfigured, and in this case you
    > should use the Software Media Manager to remove it and re-add it
    > in order to reconfigure it, either (or?!) it is currently
    > unreachable and you should retry later..
    >
    > Anyone else having this problem?


    Not recently. (I have not tried to update 2008.0 recently.)
    But this has happened to me now and then ever since installing
    2008.0. I simply delete all mirrors, reinstall, and proceed
    onward.

    In recent times, there has been a major discrepancy between
    the mirrors set up by MCC (configure sources) and the list
    of mirrors available from easyurpmi.zarb.org. Perhaps the
    latter now provides all that the MCC routine does, if I
    am reading the implications of BitTwister's post rightly.

    As a side commentary, my system running 2008.1rc2 this morning
    complained for the first time in several days that updates
    were available: mandriva-release-Free and mandriva-release-common.
    I think updating these two would have updated rpm, urpmi*, and
    *drak* executables, and then upgraded my system in its entirety.

    I declined, for the moment. When I have time for a complete
    backup, and a check of the backup for readability, I may take
    the plunge. Or maybe I will just wait for the PowerPack box
    to arrive. The clean install is always safer.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  7. Re: Problem with MCC Software Update

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > As a side commentary, my system running 2008.1rc2 this morning
    > complained for the first time in several days that updates
    > were available: mandriva-release-Free and mandriva-release-common.
    > I think updating these two would have updated rpm, urpmi*, and
    > *drak* executables, and then upgraded my system in its entirety.


    There's a note on the Mandriva Forum today that Cooker is being unfrozen,
    so unless those running RC releases change their update sources they are
    headed for 2009.0.
    --
    Dave

  8. Re: Problem with MCC Software Update

    On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 13:43:47 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:

    > I simply delete all mirrors, reinstall, and proceed onward.


    Re-install?! You mean a complete re-install of 2008.0?

    --
    /\/\aurice
    (Remove 'removethis.' to reply by email)


  9. Re: Problem with MCC Software Update

    On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 13:18:00 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > Delete all mirrors. go to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ (be ready for a
    > supprise)


    I see what you mean!

    > Get back into MCC and delete the test and backport selections.


    Why delete those, BT?

    Note: I did not suggest disable.

    --
    /\/\aurice
    (Remove 'removethis.' to reply by email)


  10. Re: Problem with MCC Software Update

    On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 13:47:56 +0100, Dave Pickles wrote:

    > think they've pulled the 2008.0 distribution off their server


    Seems so! Thanks, Dave.

    (Last time it was a UK mirror that vanished into thin air...)

    --
    /\/\aurice
    (Remove 'removethis.' to reply by email)


  11. Re: Problem with MCC Software Update

    On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 13:43:47 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    > Perhaps the
    > latter now provides all that the MCC routine does, if I
    > am reading the implications of BitTwister's post rightly.


    Heheh, just for fun, go over to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/


    > As a side commentary, my system running 2008.1rc2 this morning
    > complained for the first time in several days that updates
    > were available: mandriva-release-Free and mandriva-release-common.
    > I think updating these two would have updated rpm, urpmi*, and
    > *drak* executables, and then upgraded my system in its entirety.


    Maybe your rc2 mirrors are pointing to cooker which is now set for
    2009.0

    > I declined, for the moment.


    Had you been up to date around Apr 4 not much, see
    http://www.mandriva.com/en/security/...ies?dis=2008.1

    Do delete your mirrors, use http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/, delete test,
    backports, then you can use mcc gui to see what would be updated.


  12. Re: Problem with MCC Software Update

    On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 14:50:31 +0100, Maurice Batey wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 13:43:47 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> I simply delete all mirrors, reinstall, and proceed onward.

    >
    > Re-install?! You mean a complete re-install of 2008.0?


    No, just change mirrors keeping the same release.
    No idea if 2008.0 is going to support what http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/
    supplies. But then again, you are broke anyway.

  13. Re: Problem with MCC Software Update

    On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 14:52:07 +0100, Maurice Batey wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 13:18:00 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> Delete all mirrors. go to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ (be ready for a
    >> supprise)

    >
    > I see what you mean!
    >
    >> Get back into MCC and delete the test and backport selections.

    >
    > Why delete those, BT?


    There has been/is a problem with urpmi which did not honnor the
    disable directive and used them anyway.

  14. Re: Problem with MCC Software Update

    Maurice Batey wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 13:43:47 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> I simply delete all mirrors, reinstall, and proceed onward.

    >
    > Re-install?! You mean a complete re-install of 2008.0?


    No. Reinstall the mirrors. Either by using easyurpmi.zarb.org
    to get the urpmi.addmedia command lines, by using MCC to add
    media sources, or using urpmi.addmedia plus ftp urls obtained
    by logging in to a mirror with ftp and going down the
    directory tree to find the bins needed.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  15. Re: Problem with MCC Software Update

    On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 14:17:23 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    > No. Reinstall the mirrors. Either by using easyurpmi.zarb.org
    > to get the urpmi.addmedia command lines,


    Jim, you realy need to see what easyurpmi.zarb.org is producing,

    Maurice, after using easyurpmi.zarb.org, do a
    cat /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg
    and verify that 2008.0 is in the PLF entries, if it has 2008.1
    you will need to delete the mirrors and try using
    http://www.mandrivauser.de/smarturpmi/

  16. Re: Problem with MCC Software Update

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 13:43:47 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:
    >> Perhaps the
    >> latter now provides all that the MCC routine does, if I
    >> am reading the implications of BitTwister's post rightly.

    >
    > Heheh, just for fun, go over to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/
    >
    >
    >> As a side commentary, my system running 2008.1rc2 this morning
    >> complained for the first time in several days that updates
    >> were available: mandriva-release-Free and mandriva-release-common.
    >> I think updating these two would have updated rpm, urpmi*, and
    >> *drak* executables, and then upgraded my system in its entirety.

    >
    > Maybe your rc2 mirrors are pointing to cooker which is now set for
    > 2009.0
    >
    >> I declined, for the moment.

    >
    > Had you been up to date around Apr 4 not much, see
    > http://www.mandriva.com/en/security/...ies?dis=2008.1
    >
    > Do delete your mirrors, use http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/, delete test,
    > backports, then you can use mcc gui to see what would be updated.


    I note you get a real lot of choice now. Either let the system
    do what it wants, or run the two commands manually and let them
    do what they want, which will be exactly the same thing.

    The MCC configure media/add media allows some choice in
    selection of mirrors, but the the mirror provided by easyurpmi
    was not available in the list provided by MCC. If you really
    are picky about your sources, it looks like ftp-ing to the
    desired server and working your way down to the desired
    repositories is the only way to get exactly what you want.

    Oh, well. Sometimes you get what you pay for. And the mirrors
    are free....

    FWIW, it appeared that the things that would be updated would
    not destroy my system if things went awry, so I updated my rc2.
    At worst, I will be missing some functionality I can do without
    for a short while.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  17. Re: Problem with MCC Software Update

    On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 14:35:20 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    > I note you get a real lot of choice now. Either let the system
    > do what it wants,


    Yes, and the trend of a pop-up to enter root password is training
    everyone for an entry point for malware infections.


  18. Re: Problem with MCC Software Update

    On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 13:56:46 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > you are broke anyway.


    Uh! What's broke?!

    --
    /\/\aurice
    (Remove 'removethis.' to reply by email)


  19. Re: Problem with MCC Software Update

    On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 13:58:07 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > here has been/is a problem with urpmi which did not honnor the disable
    > directive and used them anyway.


    OK - but why delete Test and Backport?

    --
    /\/\aurice
    (Remove 'removethis.' to reply by email)


  20. Re: Problem with MCC Software Update

    On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 15:47:20 +0100, Maurice Batey wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 13:56:46 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> you are broke anyway.

    >
    > Uh! What's broke?!


    Your mirror and I misunderstand it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast