2008 +hp deskjet 5740 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on 2008 +hp deskjet 5740 - Mandriva ; since installing 2008 I have this quirk with this printer...it will be powered off...I attach the usb cable to my R51 laptop and bring it up out of suspend...I'm guessing -because I don't know for sure- that as the hplip ...

  1. 2008 +hp deskjet 5740

    since installing 2008 I have this quirk with this printer...it will be
    powered off...I attach the usb cable to my R51 laptop and bring it up out
    of suspend...I'm guessing -because I don't know for sure- that as the
    hplip program starts it's sending some kind of command out the usb port
    because the printer then powers on and starts to print a series of
    characters...and will continue to print a page of these garbage
    characters every 10 mins or so until the tray empties -or- if I send an
    actual print job- the garbage stops and the printer sits waiting
    correctly for other legitimate jobs from the subnet it serves...

    anyone seen anything like this?
    can I capture what's going out the usb port with some program or script?
    none of the error logs I've checked are showing any clues

  2. Re: 2008 +hp deskjet 5740

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 08:59:51 -0500, mister b wrote:
    > since installing 2008 I have this quirk with this printer...it will be
    > powered off...I attach the usb cable to my R51 laptop and bring it up out
    > of suspend...I'm guessing -because I don't know for sure- that as the
    > hplip program starts it's sending some kind of command out the usb port
    > because the printer then powers on and starts to print a series of
    > characters...and will continue to print a page of these garbage
    > characters every 10 mins or so until the tray empties -or- if I send an
    > actual print job- the garbage stops and the printer sits waiting
    > correctly for other legitimate jobs from the subnet it serves...

    I would go to http://localhost:631 and see if there were any pending
    print jobs which need deleting.

    If still printing junk, I would run through cups printer modifications
    and see what happens.

  3. Re: 2008 +hp deskjet 5740

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 14:07:30 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > I would go to http://localhost:631 and see if there were any pending
    > print jobs which need deleting.

    been there, done that, nothing there

    > If still printing junk, I would run through cups printer modifications
    > and see what happens.

    been there too...

  4. Re: 2008 +hp deskjet 5740

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 10:51:45 -0500, mister b wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 14:07:30 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> I would go to http://localhost:631 and see if there were any pending
    >> print jobs which need deleting.

    > been there, done that, nothing there
    >
    >> If still printing junk, I would run through cups printer modifications
    >> and see what happens.

    > been there too...

    Sorry you did not provide what steps you already tried.

    I would try using cups to delete the printer then
    mcc-->Hardware-->Configure printing and scanning
    to delete the printer.
    Then plug in printer cable, then power up printer.

  5. Re: 2008 +hp deskjet 5740

    mister b wrote:

    > I attach the usb cable to my R51 laptop

    Quick change of topic: how does the R51 behave with Mandriva (apart from the
    printer issue)? I have two of them running PCLinuxOS, but would like to
    try Mandriva so that they're /fully/ compatible with the rest of my network
    and to simplify maintenance...

    C.

  6. Re: 2008 +hp deskjet 5740

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 06:52:05 +0100, Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > mister b wrote:
    >
    >> I attach the usb cable to my R51 laptop

    > Quick change of topic: how does the R51 behave with Mandriva (apart from
    > the printer issue)?

    really well...although this printer quirk has more I think to do with the
    hp driver or maybe even CUPS than Mandriva...this R51 is machine type
    1836-XXU and has performed nearly flawlessly with 2006 and slightly less
    so with 2008...In fact I wish I had dd'd the 2006 install at some
    point...I managed to thrash a Reiser filesystem and was essentially
    forced to install 2008...I'm alternating between 2008 and Slack12 -on two
    different hd's- and will decide on a keeper this week for this machine.

    currently:

    p4-1.6M
    1.5gb ram
    40gb HD split 20/20 with Winblows -problems making IBM recovery disks :-(
    Radeon 7500/M7 vid -> 1024x768max
    INtel220b/g wifi --> works out of box
    winmodem --> who cares?

    *niggling complaints with 2008*
    -I still haven't got video out working through the vga port
    -it doesn't consistently come back out of suspend -requires cold reboot
    occasionally

    I'm in the process of putting together a personal webspace highlighting
    my successes with several Linux distros on the laptops I've used over the
    years.

  7. Re: [ OT ] 2008 +hp deskjet 5740

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 06:56:34 -0500, mister b wrote:

    > I'm in the process of putting together a personal webspace highlighting
    > my successes with several Linux distros on the laptops I've used over the
    > years.

    In my opinion, sounds like a waste of time.
    It would be better use of bandwidth to get current Official cds
    and report results.

    Using "over the years" experience is like comparing win31 to Vista.
    It is just not revellent to what is going on today.

+ Reply to Thread