Raid and flash drives. - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Raid and flash drives. - Mandriva ; Anyone out there set up some flash drives as raid0 and installed to it, without any HDD's? I know this sounds crazy, but it's basically just to boot the OS and run a single app. I don't have or need ...

  1. Raid and flash drives.

    Anyone out there set up some flash drives as raid0 and installed to it,
    without any HDD's?

    I know this sounds crazy, but it's basically just to boot the OS and run a
    single app. I don't have or need any flash drives if this won't work so
    thought I'd ask first.

  2. Re: Raid and flash drives.

    Wes Newell wrote:

    > Anyone out there set up some flash drives as raid0 and installed to it,
    > without any HDD's?
    >
    > I know this sounds crazy, but it's basically just to boot the OS and run a
    > single app. I don't have or need any flash drives if this won't work so
    > thought I'd ask first.

    In essence, it would be the same as when you install the operating system on
    a single flash drive, combined with how you install the operating system on
    a software RAID with regular hard disks. ;-)

    Allow me to elaborate... Although I have never used a flash drive on any of
    my computers, I believe it is seen by the kernel as being a SCSI hard disk,
    just like with regular SAS, parallel SCSI, SATA and USB drives. Am I
    correct?

    Now, if you're going to install GNU/Linux on a software RAID with regular
    hard disks, you'll need to have RAID support as well as hard disk
    controller support and filesystem type support available at boot time.

    As such, you will _have_ to make use of an /initrd/ or /initramfs/ to load
    the required modules into memory at boot time, before the kernel can access
    the on-disk filesystem, as software RAID in the Linux kernel is handled via
    */dev/md[something]* device special files.

    So what you need to do is combine the procedure for installing on a flash
    drive with the procedure for installing on a software RAID 0. It is
    however very important - just as with other flashdrive installations - that
    you use a UNIX-style filesystem on those flash drives in order to have the
    correct permissions set, as I believe that flash drives typically come
    with /vfat/ formatting.

    So your idea of using two flash drives in RAID 0 may indeed be a little
    "over the top", but it _*is*_ technically possible, yes. It should provide
    for an interesting exercise.

    --
    Aragorn
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)