Executing application from desktop icon, showing as a terminal session - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Executing application from desktop icon, showing as a terminal session - Mandriva ; Is there a way of invoking an application via a desktop icon such that the application is then seen to run in a terminal session? (Why the question? Well, I've been looking at wvdial as an alternative to kppp, as ...

  1. Executing application from desktop icon, showing as a terminal session

    Is there a way of invoking an application via a desktop
    icon such that the application is then seen to run in a
    terminal session?

    (Why the question? Well, I've been looking at wvdial as an
    alternative to kppp, as I like to see the dial-up
    negotiation dialogue wvdial displays in a terminal session.

    But because I would need different config files for
    different ISP's, I want to avoid having to start a terminal
    session and then keying in one of a number of different
    wvdial calls.

    Ideally I would define each of those calls in desktop
    icons, and then click on whichever one is needed.
    But how could that be done and also show the wvdial
    output as if in a terminal session?)

    /\/\aurice
    (Remove "removethis." to reply by email...)

  2. Re: Executing application from desktop icon, showing as a terminal session

    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > Is there a way of invoking an application via a desktop
    > icon such that the application is then seen to run in a
    > terminal session?
    >
    > (Why the question? Well, I've been looking at wvdial as an
    > alternative to kppp, as I like to see the dial-up
    > negotiation dialogue wvdial displays in a terminal session.
    >
    > But because I would need different config files for
    > different ISP's, I want to avoid having to start a terminal
    > session and then keying in one of a number of different
    > wvdial calls.
    >
    > Ideally I would define each of those calls in desktop
    > icons, and then click on whichever one is needed.
    > But how could that be done and also show the wvdial
    > output as if in a terminal session?)

    Right-click on the desktop and choose "New" and then "Application". Fill in
    the name for the executable, a descriptive name for the icon, executable
    parameters et al, and then check the box "Run in terminal window".

    --
    Aragorn
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: Executing application from desktop icon, showing as a terminal session

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 17:47:02 +0200, Aragorn wrote:

    > then check the box "Run in terminal window".

    Ah, yes - that's under 'Advanced Options'; never been in there!

    Many thanks!

    --
    /\/\aurice

  4. Re: Executing application from desktop icon, showing as a terminalsession

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 16:30:30 +0100, Maurice Batey wrote:
    > Is there a way of invoking an application via a desktop
    > icon such that the application is then seen to run in a
    > terminal session?

    Yes.

    > (Why the question? Well, I've been looking at wvdial as an
    > alternative to kppp, as I like to see the dial-up
    > negotiation dialogue wvdial displays in a terminal session.
    >
    > But because I would need different config files for
    > different ISP's, I want to avoid having to start a terminal
    > session and then keying in one of a number of different
    > wvdial calls.

    Sounds easy as a short calling your script with an argument.

    > Ideally I would define each of those calls in desktop
    > icons, and then click on whichever one is needed.

    Yep, create shortcuts like xbcs
    with the Command: line containing something like:
    /home/maurice/bin/xwvdial bcs
    and xwork with
    /home/maurice/bin/xwvdial work

    Now you can backup the shortcuts in $HOME/Desktop/x* and script in $HOME/bin

    > But how could that be done and also show the wvdial
    > output as if in a terminal session?)

    Some light reading found here read http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/index.html

    Assuming xterm is installed, here is a quick untested kudge:

    #************************************************* ***********
    #*
    #* xwvdial - run wvdial in a terminal in desktop 2
    #*
    #* Usage: xwvdial [isp to connect to]
    #* no argument dials bsc as default
    #*
    #*
    #* Install: chmod +x xwvdial
    #*
    #************************************************* ***********

    _app=wvdial

    if [ $# -gt 0 ] ; then
    _isp=$1
    else
    _isp="bcs"
    if

    case $_isp in
    bcs) _cmds="whatever wvdial wants" ;;
    work) _cmds="whatever wvdial wants" ;;
    *) echo "unknown argument $_isp"
    exit 1
    esac

    dcop kwin default setCurrentDesktop 2 > /dev/null

    pgrep -U $_user $_app
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    exit 0
    fi

    xterm -title $_user -display $DISPLAY -geom 30x4+680+670 \
    -e $_app $_cmds \
    &

    #****************** end xwvdial *************************

  5. Re: Executing application from desktop icon, showing as a terminal session

    Maurice Batey writes:

    >Is there a way of invoking an application via a desktop
    >icon such that the application is then seen to run in a
    >terminal session?

    Sure. Such have the icon run the terminal with the program as an argument.

    xterm pine
    will open xterm and in that terminal open the program pine.

    >(Why the question? Well, I've been looking at wvdial as an
    >alternative to kppp, as I like to see the dial-up
    >negotiation dialogue wvdial displays in a terminal session.

    >But because I would need different config files for
    >different ISP's, I want to avoid having to start a terminal
    >session and then keying in one of a number of different
    >wvdial calls.

    >Ideally I would define each of those calls in desktop
    >icons, and then click on whichever one is needed.
    > But how could that be done and also show the wvdial
    >output as if in a terminal session?)

    >/\/\aurice
    > (Remove "removethis." to reply by email...)

  6. Re: Executing application from desktop icon, showing as a terminal session

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 17:20:00 +0100, I wrote:

    > then check the box "Run in terminal window".
    >
    > Ah, yes - that's under 'Advanced Options'; never been in there!

    As a matter of interest, in Advanced Options there is an option
    "Terminal Options" (if Run in Terminal' is selected).

    What is "Terminal Options" for, and how is it used, please?

    --
    /\/\aurice

  7. Re: Executing application from desktop icon, showing as a terminalsession

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 20:39:39 +0100, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > As a matter of interest, in Advanced Options there is an option
    > "Terminal Options" (if Run in Terminal' is selected).
    >
    > What is "Terminal Options" for

    options to add when the terminal is launched/

    >, and how is it used, please?

    Depends on which "Terminal", pick one

    man xterm
    konsole --help

  8. Re: Executing application from desktop icon, showing as a terminal session

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 22:04:45 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > options to add when the terminal is launched/

    OIC - literally options to be added to the 'open terminal' call.

    > man xterm

    man xterm
    No manual entry for xterm

    > konsole --help

    OK - saw the list of options.

    Thank you, BT!
    --
    /\/\aurice

  9. Re: Executing application from desktop icon, showing as a terminalsession

    Maurice Batey wrote:
    > man xterm
    > No manual entry for xterm

    That will happen if msec is set to level four. Try
    $ env | grep SEC
    and if the level is four, either read man pages as root or set msec
    to level three
    # msec 3
    then read man pages as a regular user.

  10. Re: Executing application from desktop icon, showing as a terminalsession

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 09:48:17 -0700, Scott B. wrote:
    > Maurice Batey wrote:
    >> man xterm
    >> No manual entry for xterm

    > That will happen if msec is set to level four. Try
    > $ env | grep SEC
    > and if the level is four, either read man pages as root or set msec
    > to level three
    > # msec 3
    > then read man pages as a regular user.

    Well shucky dern, I assumed missing xterm man page is because xterm is not
    installed.

    I know xterm is not installed as default, well at level 3 anyway.

  11. Re: Executing application from desktop icon, showing as a terminalsession

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 17:31:28 +0100, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > man xterm
    > No manual entry for xterm

    xterm is not installed then. If you play with my script posted earlier
    you will need to swap out xterm for konsole and maybe dink with
    the other arguments in line.

  12. Re: Executing application from desktop icon, showing as a terminalsession

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 09:48:17 -0700, Scott B. wrote:
    >> Maurice Batey wrote:
    >>> man xterm
    >>> No manual entry for xterm

    >> That will happen if msec is set to level four. Try
    >> $ env | grep SEC
    >> and if the level is four, either read man pages as root or set msec
    >> to level three
    >> # msec 3
    >> then read man pages as a regular user.

    > Well shucky dern, I assumed missing xterm man page is because xterm is not
    > installed.
    >
    > I know xterm is not installed as default, well at level 3 anyway.

    Thanks for pointing that out, Bit Twister.

    So, apparently either xterm not installed or msec set to level four
    results in
    No manual entry for xterm

  13. Re: Executing application from desktop icon, showing as a terminalsession

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 10:33:33 -0700, Scott B. wrote:

    > So, apparently either xterm not installed or msec set to level four
    > results in
    > No manual entry for xterm

    I'll vote xterm not installed during default type install.

  14. Re: Executing application from desktop icon, showing as a terminalsession

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 10:33:33 -0700, Scott B. wrote:
    >>
    >> So, apparently either xterm not installed or msec set to level four
    >> results in
    >> No manual entry for xterm

    > I'll vote xterm not installed during default type install.

    Bit Twister,

    I am a Bit Twister fan. I'm sorry if I gave the impression I was
    challenging you. That was not my intention. Obviously you know a
    lot more about Linux than I know. I have benefited from your
    articles in this newsgroup, and you provide much help.

  15. Re: Executing application from desktop icon, showing as a terminalsession

    On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 01:07:01 -0700, Scott B. wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >> On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 10:33:33 -0700, Scott B. wrote:
    >>>
    >>> So, apparently either xterm not installed or msec set to level four
    >>> results in
    >>> No manual entry for xterm

    >> I'll vote xterm not installed during default type install.

    > Bit Twister,
    >
    > I'm sorry if I gave the impression I was challenging you.

    I gathered no such impression. The way I read your posts seemed to
    imply security level influenced what programs were loaded.

    I was suggesting the program was not loaded in a default installation
    regardless of security level.

    My misunderstanding is, less features/services/daemons are enabled and
    tighter permissions, some of which control which programs can be run
    by whom, and more security checks are set with the higher security level.

    Some sample differences follow:

    $ cd /usr/share/msec
    $ diff -y level.0 level.5 | grep allow
    allow_autologin yes | allow_autologin no
    allow_issues ALL | allow_issues NONE
    allow_reboot yes | allow_reboot no
    allow_remote_root_login yes | allow_remote_root_login no
    allow_root_login yes | allow_root_login no
    allow_user_list yes | allow_user_list no
    allow_x_connections ALL | allow_x_connections NONE
    allow_xauth_from_root 1 | allow_xauth_from_root 0
    allow_xserver_to_listen yes | allow_xserver_to_listen no

    Some permission difference < = level 0
    > = level 5

    $ diff perm.0 perm.5 | egrep 'who|finger'
    < /usr/bin/finger root.root 755
    < /usr/bin/who root.root 755
    > /usr/bin/finger root.ntools 750
    > /usr/bin/who root.ntools 750

    I have to admit I have not tried a /Paranoid/ level 5 install and
    compared programs installed against a level 0 install.

+ Reply to Thread