Downloading Mandriva via Bittorrent - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Downloading Mandriva via Bittorrent - Mandriva ; There is information about downloading Mandriva Linux via Bittorrent at this URL: http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Bittorrent Here is a quote from the webpage: "It is a very efficient way to transfer large files which a large group of people all want to access ...

  1. Downloading Mandriva via Bittorrent

    There is information about downloading Mandriva Linux via Bittorrent
    at this URL:
    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Bittorrent

    Here is a quote from the webpage:
    "It is a very efficient way to transfer large files which a large
    group of people all want to access at roughly the same time."

  2. Re: Downloading Mandriva via Bittorrent

    Scott B. wrote:

    > There is information about downloading Mandriva Linux via Bittorrent
    > at this URL:
    > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Bittorrent
    >
    > Here is a quote from the webpage:
    > "It is a very efficient way to transfer large files which a large
    > group of people all want to access at roughly the same time."

    It is, but every year the user-specific torrents can not be found by the
    tracker. I have found this in past years with Azureus, and now the same
    thing with Transmission. It doesn't seem to affect my downloads or
    uploads, but surely the tracker isn't superfluous?

    Doug.

  3. Re: Downloading Mandriva via Bittorrent

    Doug Laidlaw writes:

    >Scott B. wrote:

    >> There is information about downloading Mandriva Linux via Bittorrent
    >> at this URL:
    >> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Bittorrent
    >>
    >> Here is a quote from the webpage:
    >> "It is a very efficient way to transfer large files which a large
    >> group of people all want to access at roughly the same time."

    >It is, but every year the user-specific torrents can not be found by the
    >tracker. I have found this in past years with Azureus, and now the same
    >thing with Transmission. It doesn't seem to affect my downloads or
    >uploads, but surely the tracker isn't superfluous?

    No idea what you mean. If it downloads, you have the tracker. And there are
    user specific files which tell the tracker which files you want to download
    (or are allowed to download).

    >Doug.

  4. Re: Downloading Mandriva via Bittorrent

    Unruh wrote:

    > Doug Laidlaw writes:
    >
    >>Scott B. wrote:

    >>> There is information about downloading Mandriva Linux via Bittorrent
    >>> at this URL:
    >>> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Bittorrent
    >>>
    >>> Here is a quote from the webpage:
    >>> "It is a very efficient way to transfer large files which a large
    >>> group of people all want to access at roughly the same time."

    >>It is, but every year the user-specific torrents can not be found by the
    >>tracker. I have found this in past years with Azureus, and now the same
    >>thing with Transmission. It doesn't seem to affect my downloads or
    >>uploads, but surely the tracker isn't superfluous?

    > No idea what you mean. If it downloads, you have the tracker. And there
    > are user specific files which tell the tracker which files you want to
    > download (or are allowed to download).
    >

    >>Doug.

    That last bit may explain something: I downloaded an ISO of OpenOffice, but
    I get a message that I am not allowed to seed. Seems to defeat the whole
    idea.

    The message with Mandriva is "Not Found", and remains. It is now
    saying: "Not found - Down 770 b/s, Up 2 Kb/s."

    If my external address changes, http://www.gameupdates.org require me to
    open their page to re-sync their tracker to me. That sounds like a device
    to get hits.

    Doug.

  5. Re: Downloading Mandriva via Bittorrent

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > If my external address changes, http://www.gameupdates.org require
    > me to open their page to re-sync their tracker to me. That sounds
    > like a device to get hits.

    If your IP address on the internet changes, other computers doing
    Bittorrent with your computer will try to communicate with your
    computer at the old IP address, and that won't work. The other
    computers need your computer's new IP address.

    The website you referenced above apparently takes care of that for
    you after your internet service provider changes your IP address on
    the internet.

  6. Re: Downloading Mandriva via Bittorrent

    Scott B. wrote:

    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >> If my external address changes, http://www.gameupdates.org require
    >> me to open their page to re-sync their tracker to me. That sounds
    >> like a device to get hits.

    > If your IP address on the internet changes, other computers doing
    > Bittorrent with your computer will try to communicate with your
    > computer at the old IP address, and that won't work. The other
    > computers need your computer's new IP address.
    >
    > The website you referenced above apparently takes care of that for
    > you after your internet service provider changes your IP address on
    > the internet.

    As well, they seem to have a round-robin of trackers, which would make a
    difference.

    Thanks,

    Doug.

  7. Re: Downloading Mandriva via Bittorrent

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > As well, they seem to have a round-robin of trackers, which would
    > make a difference.

    It is good to be suspicious regarding the internet. It is difficult
    to know who to trust.

    Unless you have other reasons to be suspicious about the website, I
    suggest "going with the flow."

    The best advice I can give you is to read up on information about
    issues that you are concerned about, and the best search tool I know
    of is Google.

  8. Re: Downloading Mandriva via Bittorrent

    Scott B. wrote:

    > best search tool I know
    > of is Google.

    I google for everything. I agree that they are good. But getting there,
    they regularly ran PHP scripts on 800 people on my genealogy site. My log
    listed 3 search bots at once. This used up my month's hosting bandwidth in
    less than 24 hours and sent the middleman broke. By comparison the load of
    another search engine (akomai, I think) was negligible. Last week I looked
    for a surnames list on another genealogy site. I googled first. They
    served me up a 10-year-old page that had been deleted, and caused a lot of
    misunderstanding between myself and the webmistress. Even after I had
    flushed my cache, it was still there. I have a bit of the same feeling
    towards them as Jamie Zawinski has towards Microsoft.

    Doug.

  9. Re: Downloading Mandriva via Bittorrent

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Scott B. wrote:
    >
    >> best search tool I know
    >> of is Google.

    > I google for everything. I agree that they are good. But getting there,
    > they regularly ran PHP scripts on 800 people on my genealogy site. My log
    > listed 3 search bots at once. This used up my month's hosting bandwidth
    > in
    > less than 24 hours and sent the middleman broke. By comparison the load
    > of
    > another search engine (akomai, I think) was negligible. Last week I
    > looked
    > for a surnames list on another genealogy site. I googled first. They
    > served me up a 10-year-old page that had been deleted, and caused a lot of
    > misunderstanding between myself and the webmistress. Even after I had
    > flushed my cache, it was still there. I have a bit of the same feeling
    > towards them as Jamie Zawinski has towards Microsoft.
    >
    > Doug.

    Mine seems to be stuck on "Not found" at the moment. From the Wiki that
    Scoot mentioned:

    *404 error messages, sudden failure to connect to subscription torrent*

    If your BitTorrent client reports 404 error messages, or you suddenly can no
    longer connect to a private (Powerpack subscription) torrent that
    previously worked, it is likely that your ISP has changed your IP address.
    In this case, simply re-download the torrent file, open the 'new' file in
    your BitTorrent client, and select the same location as you did previously.
    It should continue the download from the point where it left off.

    Well, here goes.... It didn't work to begin with, but after much fiddling,
    it did.

    Doug.

+ Reply to Thread