2008.1 Spring Release 9 April 2008 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on 2008.1 Spring Release 9 April 2008 - Mandriva ; http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2008.1 Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring (2008.1) is the 22nd release of Mandriva Linux. It will be released on April 9th, 2008. Cheers! jim b. -- UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely expects users to be computer-friendly....

  1. 2008.1 Spring Release 9 April 2008

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  2. Re: 2008.1 Spring Release 9 April 2008

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 00:48:44 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:

    > Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring (2008.1) is the 22nd release of Mandriva
    > Linux. It will be released on April 9th, 2008.

    So far I only have problem with this release it Wide-screen doesn't work,
    otherwise not much to complain.

  3. Re: 2008.1 Spring Release 9 April 2008

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2008.1
    >
    > Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring (2008.1) is the 22nd release of Mandriva
    > Linux. It will be released on April 9th, 2008.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    They haven't told the Club yet. Not a whisper about it. But I am 17 hours
    ahead of New York. It makes a lot of difference!

    Doug.

  4. Re: 2008.1 Spring Release 9 April 2008

    Luan Pham wrote:

    > On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 00:48:44 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring (2008.1) is the 22nd release of Mandriva
    >> Linux. It will be released on April 9th, 2008.

    > So far I only have problem with this release it Wide-screen doesn't work,
    > otherwise not much to complain.

    I had it working OK with RC2, 1st time I could get widescreen working
    without hand editing Xorgconfig. I hope they haven't broken it in the final
    release.

    Stuart

  5. Re: 2008.1 Spring Release 9 April 2008

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 09:00:01 -0400, Stuart wrote:

    >I had it working OK with RC2, 1st time I could get widescreen working
    >without hand editing Xorgconfig. I hope they haven't broken it in the final
    >release.

    It's because of the new feature of xorg 7.3, it autodetects your
    screen without the need of editing xorg.conf. In a laptop with an
    external screen (different screen sizes), you can unplug your external
    screen, restart X server, and the desktop auto-sizes to set to the
    laptop screen

    (I would like to find a way to do this without having to restart X,
    but then it needs xorg.conf edit, and it's not simple, and it won't be
    automatic, it would need ctrl-alt-<+> )

    --
    Regards,
    Sebas

  6. Re: 2008.1 Spring Release 9 April 2008

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2008.1
    >>
    >> Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring (2008.1) is the 22nd release of Mandriva
    >> Linux. It will be released on April 9th, 2008.
    >>
    >> Cheers!
    >>
    >> jim b.
    >>

    > They haven't told the Club yet. Not a whisper about it. But I am 17
    > hours
    > ahead of New York. It makes a lot of difference!
    >
    > Doug.

    It is there now. First the X86-64, then the i586. They suggest that I wait
    a few days until the first rush is over.

    Doug.

  7. Re: 2008.1 Spring Release 9 April 2008

    Jim Beard wrote:
    > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2008.1
    >
    > Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring (2008.1) is the 22nd release of Mandriva
    > Linux. It will be released on April 9th, 2008.

    I looked at "My Torrents" on my club page. All I see available
    there for 2008 Spring is a 64-bit PowerPack DVD torrent. It
    looks like I'll have to wait just a while for the i586 PowerPack
    DVD torrent to show up.

    Sigh....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  8. Re: 2008.1 Spring Release 9 April 2008

    On 09 Apr 2008 15:27:16 GMT, Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    > Jim Beard wrote:
    >> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2008.1
    >>
    >> Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring (2008.1) is the 22nd release of Mandriva
    >> Linux. It will be released on April 9th, 2008.

    > I looked at "My Torrents" on my club page. All I see available
    > there for 2008 Spring is a 64-bit PowerPack DVD torrent. It
    > looks like I'll have to wait just a while for the i586 PowerPack
    > DVD torrent to show up.

    Down loaded the dvd.iso via ftp from a mirror.
    06:22am USA CDT

    Picked a bad screen Resolution.
    Sat there with flashing out of range error until it booted desktop
    server. That ran some test, configured xorg.conf and gave me login screen.

    No mirrors seem to have main, contrib yet. Booted back to rc2
    to play until mirrors complete sync and I can complete my usual install.

  9. Re: 2008.1 Spring Release 9 April 2008

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 01:21:03 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > It is there now. First the X86-64, then the i586. They suggest that I
    > wait a few days until the first rush is over.

    I got both download now I just seeding at this time..

  10. Re: 2008.1 Spring Release 9 April 2008

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 15:43:01 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On 09 Apr 2008 15:27:16 GMT, Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    >> Jim Beard wrote:
    >>> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2008.1
    >>>
    >>> Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring (2008.1) is the 22nd release of Mandriva
    >>> Linux. It will be released on April 9th, 2008.

    D/l both the x64 and i586 versions last night, quite amazed really as
    they were quite slow and at <5% at midnight. Installed i586 on this
    machine and all went very well until the snapshot thing kicked in after a
    few hours and filled up /. My fault somewhere along the line, I must have
    OKed a default to backup to the root dir. Seems a bit odd .

    Reinstalled again and everything seems fine. Cancelled the snapshot
    option for the time being.

    x64 installing on another newer, less standard machine now. Will post any
    problems that develop.

    This machine MSI mobo, AMD Sempron 3000, 2 x IDE drives, 2 x IDE DVDs,
    Nvidia 4200i graphics, Viewsonic LCD monitor.

  11. Re: 2008.1 Spring Release 9 April 2008

    Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    > Jim Beard wrote:
    > > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2008.1
    > >
    > > Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring (2008.1) is the 22nd release of Mandriva
    > > Linux. It will be released on April 9th, 2008.

    > I looked at "My Torrents" on my club page. All I see available
    > there for 2008 Spring is a 64-bit PowerPack DVD torrent. It
    > looks like I'll have to wait just a while for the i586 PowerPack
    > DVD torrent to show up.

    The wait wasn't long. The 32-bit ISO is ~35% complete on my torrent
    download now. Cool....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  12. Re: 2008.1 Spring Release 9 April 2008

    Hello Doug!

    09 Apr 08 10:25, Doug Laidlaw wrote to All:

    DL> Jim Beard wrote:

    >> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2008.1
    >>
    >> Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring (2008.1) is the 22nd release of Mandriva
    >> Linux. It will be released on April 9th, 2008.

    DL> They haven't told the Club yet. Not a whisper about it. But I am 17
    DL> hours ahead of New York. It makes a lot of difference!

    Its being seeded at the moment.

    Vince

  13. Re: 2008.1 Spring Release 9 April 2008

    sebas22 wrote:

    > It's because of the new feature of xorg 7.3, it autodetects your
    > screen without the need of editing xorg.conf. In a laptop with an
    > external screen (different screen sizes), you can unplug your external
    > screen, restart X server, and the desktop auto-sizes to set to the
    > laptop screen

    Wide Screen feature work fine in Free version of 64 bits, but when I
    install PWP version then it broke.

  14. Re: 2008.1 Spring Release 9 April 2008

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > It is there now. First the X86-64, then the i586. They suggest that I wait
    > a few days until the first rush is over.

    I thought that the rush was supposed to be good for torrent downloads?
    I've got my i586 ISO downloaded now. The x86_64 is still running.
    FWIW, I left my i586 ISO connected to the torrent so as to supply some
    uploaded bits.

    Cheers....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  15. Re: 2008.1 Spring Release 9 April 2008

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 09:40:17 -0500, Jo Shloe wrote:

    > This machine MSI mobo, AMD Sempron 3000, 2 x IDE drives, 2 x IDE DVDs,
    > Nvidia 4200i graphics, Viewsonic LCD monitor.

    Having problems with external USB drives on this one. I use an external
    160gig drive for backups, drive was found at first then stopped
    responding during a file copy to the drive. Then all hell broke out. B-)
    The USB is a spare IDE drive mounted in a USB case, formatted as ext3 and
    had some files already on there. Suddenly the drive was seen as Linux
    native ext2 and was empty! (gulp)
    Not sure how to continue, MCC Local disks sees SDf1 as ext2 and says it
    must be formatted or FSTAB will not be updated. Is this a feature. B-)

    Also, what is the new format in /etc/fstab ? Using UIDs for the drives.

  16. Re: 2008.1 Spring Release 9 April 2008

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 22:56:04 -0500, Jo Shloe wrote:

    > Also, what is the new format in /etc/fstab ? Using UIDs for the drives.

    A new /feature/ which is supposed to be a help. It allows you to
    add/remove partitions and not have to renumber your other fstab entries.
    It kinds bites when you format a partition from the command line
    because you get a new UUID and fstab is out of sync.

    If you were to hunt around in the 2008.1 release documentation it
    tells you how to disable the /feature/.

    My solution is to use e2label to label all my partitions. During
    install I pick custom during partition phase, toggle to Expert Mode,
    click Label, highlight label, ctl c, ok, click Mount point, ctl v.
    and fstab will use the LABEL format. fstab snippet follows:

    $ head -5 /etc/fstab
    LABEL=2008_1 / ext3 relatime 1 1
    LABEL=local /local ext3 relatime 1 2
    LABEL=2007_1 /2007_1 ext3 user,noauto,relatime 1 2
    LABEL=20081_64 /20081_64 ext3 user,noauto,relatime 1 2
    LABEL=2008_1rc /2008_1rc ext3 user,noauto,relatime 1 2

    Does not hurt to keep a hard copy of partitions for your admin diary
    as root:
    blkid /dev/sd* > /etc/blkid_report or
    blkid /dev/hd* > /etc/blkid_report

    To strip comments added by diskdrake,
    grep -v '#' /etc/fstab > /tmp/fstab
    cp /tmp/fstab /etc/fstab

  17. Re: 2008.1 Spring Release 9 April 2008

    On 2008-04-11, Luan Pham wrote:
    > sebas22 wrote:
    >
    >> It's because of the new feature of xorg 7.3, it autodetects your
    >> screen without the need of editing xorg.conf. In a laptop with an
    >> external screen (different screen sizes), you can unplug your external
    >> screen, restart X server, and the desktop auto-sizes to set to the
    >> laptop screen

    > Wide Screen feature work fine in Free version of 64 bits, but when I
    > install PWP version then it broke.

    Are you using the same video driver ?

  18. Re: 2008.1 Spring Release 9 April 2008

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 13:45:46 +0000, nicolas vigier wrote:

    >> [quoted text muted]

    > Are you using the same video driver ?

    It setup as GeForce FX 5200

  19. Re: 2008.1 Spring Release 9 April 2008

    nicolas vigier wrote:

    >>> It's because of the new feature of xorg 7.3, it autodetects your
    >>> screen without the need of editing xorg.conf. In a laptop with an
    >>> external screen (different screen sizes), you can unplug your external
    >>> screen, restart X server, and the desktop auto-sizes to set to the
    >>> laptop screen

    >> Wide Screen feature work fine in Free version of 64 bits, but when I
    >> install PWP version then it broke.

    > Are you using the same video driver ?

    Look like it is a GeForce FX driver have problem. I just take the card
    out,and using MB video then every thing work fine.

+ Reply to Thread