Odd problem in Firefox - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Odd problem in Firefox - Mandriva ; When ever I click a link or application that starts Firefox that link comes up as 2 tabs, both of course are exactly the same. Anyone else having this problem? It's not a real big deal just annoying. Rich -- ...

  1. Odd problem in Firefox

    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  2. Re: Odd problem in Firefox

    On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 10:19:18 -0400, evodawg wrote:

    > When ever I click a link or application that starts Firefox that link comes
    > up as 2 tabs, both of course are exactly the same. Anyone else having this

    I'm using opera (which also has tabbed browsing), and do not have the
    problem.

    Is that in konqueror, nautilus, or another file manager?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Odd problem in Firefox

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 10:19:18 -0400, evodawg wrote:
    >
    >> When ever I click a link or application that starts Firefox that link
    >> comes up as 2 tabs, both of course are exactly the same. Anyone else
    >> having this

    > I'm using opera (which also has tabbed browsing), and do not have the
    > problem.
    >
    > Is that in konqueror, nautilus, or another file manager?
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    no this only happens when opening a link or an application that is
    associated with Firefox.
    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  4. Re: Odd problem in Firefox

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 00:50:51 -0400, evodawg wrote:

    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> Is that in konqueror, nautilus, or another file manager?

    > no this only happens when opening a link or an application that is
    > associated with Firefox.

    Please answer the question I asked above. Which file-manager are you using?

    I can't tell you how to fix the association, without knowing which file
    manager you are using.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: Odd problem in Firefox

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 00:50:51 -0400, evodawg wrote:
    >
    >> David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >>> Is that in konqueror, nautilus, or another file manager?

    >> no this only happens when opening a link or an application that is
    >> associated with Firefox.

    > Please answer the question I asked above. Which file-manager are you
    > using?
    >
    > I can't tell you how to fix the association, without knowing which file
    > manager you are using.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    I use konqueror and Krusader
    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  6. Re: Odd problem in Firefox

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 09:06:15 -0400, evodawg wrote:

    > I use konqueror and Krusader

    Run the program kcontrol. Select KDE Components, then File Associations.
    In the box titled "Find filename pattern:", enter html. Select the
    text icon, to expand it. Select html. Select the entry for Mozilla Firefox
    and then click on the Edit button. Select the application tab. Ensure there
    is only one %u variable, so the entire Command ends up as
    "/usr/bin/mozilla-firefox %u".

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  7. Re: Odd problem in Firefox

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 09:06:15 -0400, evodawg wrote:
    >
    >> I use konqueror and Krusader

    > Run the program kcontrol. Select KDE Components, then File Associations.
    > In the box titled "Find filename pattern:", enter html. Select the
    > text icon, to expand it. Select html. Select the entry for Mozilla
    > Firefox
    > and then click on the Edit button. Select the application tab. Ensure
    > there is only one %u variable, so the entire Command ends up as
    > "/usr/bin/mozilla-firefox %u".
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    followed your instructions and the Application Tab is
    exactly /usr/bin/mozilla-firefox %u so this does not seem to be the
    problem.
    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  8. Re: Odd problem in Firefox

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 21:43:20 -0400, evodawg wrote:

    > followed your instructions and the Application Tab is
    > exactly /usr/bin/mozilla-firefox %u so this does not seem to be the
    > problem.

    If you run "firefox www.google.com" from a konsole, does it still show
    up in two duplicate tabs? Checking this will show if it's a firefox problem,
    or a problem somewhere else in kde.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  9. Re: Odd problem in Firefox

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 21:43:20 -0400, evodawg wrote:
    >
    >> followed your instructions and the Application Tab is
    >> exactly /usr/bin/mozilla-firefox %u so this does not seem to be the
    >> problem.

    > If you run "firefox www.google.com" from a konsole, does it still show
    > up in two duplicate tabs? Checking this will show if it's a firefox
    > problem, or a problem somewhere else in kde.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    WOW that was cool! And so fast. No it only showed up as one tab.
    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  10. Re: Odd problem in Firefox

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 01:00:17 -0400, evodawg wrote:

    > WOW that was cool! And so fast. No it only showed up as one tab.

    That rules out a problem with the firefox settings. I've been digging
    trough the konqueror and other kde settings, and haven't figured out a
    way to duplicate the problem.

    I'll keep digging, but I'm running out of ideas.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  11. Re: Odd problem in Firefox

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 01:00:17 -0400, evodawg wrote:
    >
    >> WOW that was cool! And so fast. No it only showed up as one tab.

    > That rules out a problem with the firefox settings. I've been digging
    > trough the konqueror and other kde settings, and haven't figured out a
    > way to duplicate the problem.
    >
    > I'll keep digging, but I'm running out of ideas.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    At first I thought maybe the mouse settings, but not that. Its not a real
    big deal, don't spend to much time on it. But do appreciate the effort.
    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  12. Re: Odd problem in Firefox

    evodawg schreef:
    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 01:00:17 -0400, evodawg wrote:
    >>
    >>> WOW that was cool! And so fast. No it only showed up as one tab.

    >> That rules out a problem with the firefox settings. I've been digging
    >> trough the konqueror and other kde settings, and haven't figured out a
    >> way to duplicate the problem.
    >>
    >> I'll keep digging, but I'm running out of ideas.
    >>
    >> Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >>

    > At first I thought maybe the mouse settings, but not that. Its not a real
    > big deal, don't spend to much time on it. But do appreciate the effort.

    Somewhere is set that when a html link is activated in konqueror and/or
    krusader that the link should be opened twice. This is only possible if
    firefox is called in a wrong way by kde, or it misinterprtes what it
    gets from kde.

    One cause can be the way html links (the mime type) is entered. But this
    is ruled out already. But in my system kde opens konqueror when i click
    an html link. So you have changed the default somewhere. The other
    possibility is in the KDE control center: KDE componetns > components
    chooser > web browser. What is entered there?

    btw: what happens when you create another user or temporary rename the
    ..kde directory in .kde_old (to force vanilla settings).

    Peter

  13. Re: Odd problem in Firefox

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 17:01:31 -0400, evodawg wrote:

    > At first I thought maybe the mouse settings, but not that. Its not a real
    > big deal, don't spend to much time on it. But do appreciate the effort.

    I tried playing with the mouse settings too. The only way I could get the
    tab duplicated, was to wait for firefox to load, and then click it again.
    If I clicked it again before firefox was loaded, I got an error message,
    not a duplicate tab.

    Check /usr/share/applications/mandriva-mozilla-firefox.desktop, and ensure
    it only has one %u, in the exec line.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  14. Re: Odd problem in Firefox

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > I tried playing with the mouse settings too. The only way I could get the
    > tab duplicated, was to wait for firefox to load, and then click it again.
    > If I clicked it again before firefox was loaded, I got an error message,
    > not a duplicate tab.
    >
    > Check /usr/share/applications/mandriva-mozilla-firefox.desktop, and ensure
    > it only has one %u, in the exec line.

    Tried that and %u is showing only once

    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  15. Re: Odd problem in Firefox

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 19:17:41 -0400, evodawg wrote:

    > Tried that and %u is showing only once

    Just fyi, I still haven't figured out any way to duplicate the problem,
    without adding multiple %u's to the config. I've run out of ideas on
    where to look, so I'm dropping this problem, for now at least.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins