Anybody heard of CDFS? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Anybody heard of CDFS? - Mandriva ; I have just downloaded an ISO of the latest OpenOffice. I went to burn it with K3B, but of course K3B in Cooker is broken. So I burned it with Nero under Windows. Linux said it was O.K., but Windows ...

  1. Anybody heard of CDFS?

    I have just downloaded an ISO of the latest OpenOffice. I went to burn it
    with K3B, but of course K3B in Cooker is broken. So I burned it with Nero
    under Windows. Linux said it was O.K., but Windows said it was CDFS and
    couldn't be opened.

    So I burned it from the command line under Mandriva. Same result. I don't
    think that I have an ISO as one big file, otherwise Burn No. 2 would have
    been visible only as that. I could browse the burned CD normally.

    So I then reinstalled Windows (actually a "repair") Windows saw its own CD,
    but still can't see mine.

    I can see a few mumbles about CDFS on the forums. What is it? Any idea
    what is going on?

    Doug.

  2. Re: Anybody heard of CDFS?

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > I have just downloaded an ISO of the latest OpenOffice. I went to burn it
    > with K3B, but of course K3B in Cooker is broken. So I burned it with Nero
    > under Windows. Linux said it was O.K., but Windows said it was CDFS and
    > couldn't be opened.
    >
    > So I burned it from the command line under Mandriva. Same result. I don't
    > think that I have an ISO as one big file, otherwise Burn No. 2 would have
    > been visible only as that. I could browse the burned CD normally.
    >
    > So I then reinstalled Windows (actually a "repair") Windows saw its own CD,
    > but still can't see mine.
    >
    > I can see a few mumbles about CDFS on the forums. What is it? Any idea
    > what is going on?
    >
    > Doug.

    perhaps Compact Disc File System (CDFS)

    Looks like you need to tell the burner what FS to create/CD vs DVD, etc.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: Anybody heard of CDFS?

    Doug Laidlaw writes:

    >I have just downloaded an ISO of the latest OpenOffice. I went to burn it
    >with K3B, but of course K3B in Cooker is broken. So I burned it with Nero
    >under Windows. Linux said it was O.K., but Windows said it was CDFS and
    >couldn't be opened.

    So just use cdrecord directly. (Oh, yes, Mandriva has a broken cdrecord. --
    download the real thing from cdrecord.berlios.de-- latest version and
    compile it).

    >So I burned it from the command line under Mandriva. Same result. I don't

    Why do you not tell us HOW you burned from the command line.

    >think that I have an ISO as one big file, otherwise Burn No. 2 would have
    >been visible only as that. I could browse the burned CD normally.

    So, exactly what is the problem? You have the iso on CD, you can now
    install OpenOffice. I am confused as to what you are trying to do.

    >So I then reinstalled Windows (actually a "repair") Windows saw its own CD,
    >but still can't see mine.

    And you care what windows can see why?

    >I can see a few mumbles about CDFS on the forums. What is it? Any idea
    >what is going on?

    I have no idea what it that you are trying to do.

    >Doug.

  4. Re: Anybody heard of CDFS?

    Jim Beard writes:

    >Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >> I have just downloaded an ISO of the latest OpenOffice. I went to burn it
    >> with K3B, but of course K3B in Cooker is broken. So I burned it with Nero
    >> under Windows. Linux said it was O.K., but Windows said it was CDFS and
    >> couldn't be opened.
    >>
    >> So I burned it from the command line under Mandriva. Same result. I don't
    >> think that I have an ISO as one big file, otherwise Burn No. 2 would have
    >> been visible only as that. I could browse the burned CD normally.
    >>
    >> So I then reinstalled Windows (actually a "repair") Windows saw its own CD,
    >> but still can't see mine.
    >>
    >> I can see a few mumbles about CDFS on the forums. What is it? Any idea
    >> what is going on?
    >>
    >> Doug.

    >perhaps Compact Disc File System (CDFS)

    >Looks like you need to tell the burner what FS to create/CD vs DVD, etc.

    No, he has an iso. That is a disk image. It already has a filesystem.
    Now he could copy the iso to his disk with a loop mount, then make a new
    iso using mkisofs and with the filesystem he wants and then burn that new
    iso to CD.

  5. Re: Anybody heard of CDFS?

    On Apr 5, 11:04 am, Unruh wrote:
    > Doug Laidlaw writes:
    > >I have just downloaded an ISO of the latest OpenOffice. I went to burn it

    > So just use cdrecord directly. (Oh, yes, Mandriva has a broken cdrecord. --
    > download the real thing from cdrecord.berlios.de-- latest version and
    > compile it).

    I am curious: cdrecord is broken in which Mandriva? I am using 2007
    Spring. Is this only from CLI, and k3b and other gui CD-DVD burners
    are not affected?

  6. Re: Anybody heard of CDFS?

    shedied@gmail.com writes:

    >On Apr 5, 11:04 am, Unruh wrote:
    >> Doug Laidlaw writes:
    >> >I have just downloaded an ISO of the latest OpenOffice. I went to burn it

    >> So just use cdrecord directly. (Oh, yes, Mandriva has a broken cdrecord. --
    >> download the real thing from cdrecord.berlios.de-- latest version and
    >> compile it).

    >I am curious: cdrecord is broken in which Mandriva? I am using 2007
    >Spring. Is this only from CLI, and k3b and other gui CD-DVD burners
    >are not affected?

    They do not use cdrecord. They use cdrkit, an blunged up version of an
    ancient version of cdrecord. Mandriva together with a number of other
    distros got upset with Schilling the writer of cdrecord (he is a rather
    abrasive character at times, but writes good code) and created a fork with
    an ancient version of cdrecord, and partially mangled it, and did not keep
    it up to date. This has been true for a while (yes, 2007.1) Originally it
    had some justification as Schilling did not release the dvd writing as open
    source but he has for the past 2-3 years now, and had kept cdrecord up to
    date with current DVD/CD technology. cdrkit has not. Most of the gui
    programs use cdrkit to do their burning-- they are just front ends.

  7. Re: Anybody heard of CDFS?

    In article ,
    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >I have just downloaded an ISO of the latest OpenOffice. I went to burn it
    >with K3B, but of course K3B in Cooker is broken. So I burned it with Nero
    >under Windows. Linux said it was O.K., but Windows said it was CDFS and
    >couldn't be opened.
    >
    >So I burned it from the command line under Mandriva. Same result. I don't
    >think that I have an ISO as one big file, otherwise Burn No. 2 would have
    >been visible only as that. I could browse the burned CD normally.

    k3b is just a gui frontend for command line programs. If the command line
    programs do not work properly, the gui will fail too.

    For best results, a recent k3b prefers to use cdrecord but mandriva does not
    offer cdrecord. Mandriva does not come with cdrecord but with a fork called
    called "wodim" that was made from a really old cdrecord and that added bugs
    that never have been in the original.

    Try to get a recent original from

    ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

    compile it and install cdrecord, readcd and cdda2wav suid root.

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  8. Re: Anybody heard of CDFS?

    Unruh wrote:

    > Jim Beard writes:
    >
    >>Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >>> I have just downloaded an ISO of the latest OpenOffice. I went to burn
    >>> it
    >>> with K3B, but of course K3B in Cooker is broken. So I burned it with
    >>> Nero
    >>> under Windows. Linux said it was O.K., but Windows said it was CDFS and
    >>> couldn't be opened.
    >>>
    >>> So I burned it from the command line under Mandriva. Same result. I
    >>> don't think that I have an ISO as one big file, otherwise Burn No. 2
    >>> would have
    >>> been visible only as that. I could browse the burned CD normally.
    >>>
    >>> So I then reinstalled Windows (actually a "repair") Windows saw its own
    >>> CD, but still can't see mine.
    >>>
    >>> I can see a few mumbles about CDFS on the forums. What is it? Any idea
    >>> what is going on?
    >>>
    >>> Doug.

    >>perhaps Compact Disc File System (CDFS)

    >>Looks like you need to tell the burner what FS to create/CD vs DVD, etc.

    > No, he has an iso. That is a disk image. It already has a filesystem.
    > Now he could copy the iso to his disk with a loop mount, then make a new
    > iso using mkisofs and with the filesystem he wants and then burn that new
    > iso to CD.

    Burning an iso is usually straightforward. With Nero I used "Burn image to
    disk."

    Mandriva uses Wodim. There is some problem with the current version of K3B
    mounting the CD, which doesn't show up until near the end of the burn. For
    the command line, I was particularly concerned not just to copy the ISO as
    one big file. I used the following command, based on "Coasterless CD
    Burning":

    cdrecord dev=/dev/hda speed=10 padsize=63s -pad -dao -v -eject

    Doug.

  9. Re: Anybody heard of CDFS?

    On 2008-04-05, Unruh wrote:
    > shedied@gmail.com writes:

    >>> So just use cdrecord directly. (Oh, yes, Mandriva has a broken cdrecord. --
    >>> download the real thing from cdrecord.berlios.de-- latest version and
    >>> compile it).

    >>I am curious: cdrecord is broken in which Mandriva? I am using 2007
    >>Spring. Is this only from CLI, and k3b and other gui CD-DVD burners
    >>are not affected?

    > They do not use cdrecord. They use cdrkit, an blunged up version of an
    > ancient version of cdrecord. Mandriva together with a number of other
    > distros got upset with Schilling the writer of cdrecord (he is a rather
    > abrasive character at times, but writes good code) and created a fork with
    > an ancient version of cdrecord, and partially mangled it, and did not keep
    > it up to date. This has been true for a while (yes, 2007.1) Originally it
    > had some justification as Schilling did not release the dvd writing as open
    > source but he has for the past 2-3 years now, and had kept cdrecord up to
    > date with current DVD/CD technology. cdrkit has not. Most of the gui
    > programs use cdrkit to do their burning-- they are just front ends.

    Another alternative, if you want to bypass the whole
    cdrecord vs. wodim fuss fight, is to use cdrdao. It's a bit
    less convenient, but it's not difficult to write a quick
    script to build the required TOC file. I'd be happy to
    share/post my scripts (one for data, one for audio).

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  10. Re: Anybody heard of CDFS?

    Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    > On 2008-04-05, Unruh wrote:
    >> shedied@gmail.com writes:

    >>>I am curious: cdrecord is broken in which Mandriva? I am using 2007
    >>>Spring. Is this only from CLI, and k3b and other gui CD-DVD burners
    >>>are not affected?

    >> They do not use cdrecord. They use cdrkit, an blunged up version of an
    >> ancient version of cdrecord. Mandriva together with a number of other
    >> distros got upset with Schilling the writer of cdrecord (he is a rather
    >> abrasive character at times, but writes good code) and created a fork
    >> with an ancient version of cdrecord, and partially mangled it, and did
    >> not keep it up to date. This has been true for a while (yes, 2007.1)
    >> Originally it had some justification as Schilling did not release the dvd
    >> writing as open source but he has for the past 2-3 years now, and had
    >> kept cdrecord up to date with current DVD/CD technology. cdrkit has not.
    >> Most of the gui programs use cdrkit to do their burning-- they are just
    >> front ends.

    > Another alternative, if you want to bypass the whole
    > cdrecord vs. wodim fuss fight, is to use cdrdao. It's a bit
    > less convenient, but it's not difficult to write a quick
    > script to build the required TOC file. I'd be happy to
    > share/post my scripts (one for data, one for audio).

    Or I could reinstall Ubuntu for this purpose alone, on a spare partition. I
    understand now why only tested packages get into "dinkum Debian." In the
    early days, a book from the newsagents with RH and Mandrake said that
    Mandrake was more inclined to try the latest, while RH was more
    conservative. Certainly Mandriva shows that bent.

    Doug.

  11. Re: Anybody heard of CDFS?

    In article ,
    Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    >Another alternative, if you want to bypass the whole
    >cdrecord vs. wodim fuss fight, is to use cdrdao. It's a bit
    >less convenient, but it's not difficult to write a quick
    >script to build the required TOC file. I'd be happy to
    >share/post my scripts (one for data, one for audio).

    cdrdao seems not been actively worked anymore on sice ~ 3 years.
    It still uses an old version of libscg that does not know about the
    Linux kernel interface changes done with Linux-2.6.8.1.

    If you are not interested in the fight, just use actively maintained original
    software:

    ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  12. Re: Anybody heard of CDFS?

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (Joerg Schilling) writes:

    > In article ,
    > Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >
    >>Another alternative, if you want to bypass the whole
    >>cdrecord vs. wodim fuss fight, is to use cdrdao. It's a bit
    >>less convenient, but it's not difficult to write a quick
    >>script to build the required TOC file. I'd be happy to
    >>share/post my scripts (one for data, one for audio).

    > cdrdao seems not been actively worked anymore on since ~ 3 years.
    > It still uses an old version of libscg that does not know about the
    > Linux kernel interface changes done with Linux-2.6.8.1.

    today 2008/04/14
    cdrdao, last release 1.2.2 on 2006/09/21

    that's 1 1/2 years.

    Last commit April 2008. That's this month.
    In the last year 15 commits.

    Joerg, please stop trying to denigrate other projects.
    I'm fine with you promoting your own stuff but you
    don't have to do it at the expense of other projects.

    And PLEASE, learn how to use the word "since" in English.
    It's not used that way.

    We would say, "it hasn't been worked on for about 3 years".

    Best wishes.
    Dan

  13. Re: Anybody heard of CDFS?

    In article ,
    Dan Espen wrote:
    >js@cs.tu-berlin.de (Joerg Schilling) writes:
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >>
    >>>Another alternative, if you want to bypass the whole
    >>>cdrecord vs. wodim fuss fight, is to use cdrdao. It's a bit
    >>>less convenient, but it's not difficult to write a quick
    >>>script to build the required TOC file. I'd be happy to
    >>>share/post my scripts (one for data, one for audio).

    >> cdrdao seems not been actively worked anymore on since ~ 3 years.
    >> It still uses an old version of libscg that does not know about the
    >> Linux kernel interface changes done with Linux-2.6.8.1.

    > today 2008/04/14
    >cdrdao, last release 1.2.2 on 2006/09/21
    >
    >that's 1 1/2 years.
    >
    >Last commit April 2008. That's this month.
    >In the last year 15 commits.
    >
    >Joerg, please stop trying to denigrate other projects.

    Dan, please stop attacking people and learn reality and courtesy.

    The last feature enhancement in cdrdao is from May 2005.
    After that time, I see only small bug fixes.

    If you like to get some numbers to compare with...

    Since May 2005, I did 2500 commits with 7500 single file changes in total
    on my software.

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  14. Re: Anybody heard of CDFS?

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (Joerg Schilling) writes:

    > In article ,
    > Dan Espen wrote:
    >>js@cs.tu-berlin.de (Joerg Schilling) writes:

    >>> cdrdao seems not been actively worked anymore on since ~ 3 years.
    >>> It still uses an old version of libscg that does not know about the
    >>> Linux kernel interface changes done with Linux-2.6.8.1.

    >> today 2008/04/14
    >>cdrdao, last release 1.2.2 on 2006/09/21
    >>
    >>that's 1 1/2 years.
    >>
    >>Last commit April 2008. That's this month.
    >>In the last year 15 commits.
    >>
    >>Joerg, please stop trying to denigrate other projects.

    > Dan, please stop attacking people and learn reality and courtesy.

    Joerg,

    Nothing I posted was meant as an "attack".

    When you said it wasn't actively worked on, I got this urge
    to check. What I found indicates that it IS being worked on.

    > The last feature enhancement in cdrdao is from May 2005.
    > After that time, I see only small bug fixes.

    I can't see that. Maybe there aren't any new features needed.
    Frankly I don't look at the CD software I use but I know
    it always works when I use it. Even to make DVDs.

    > If you like to get some numbers to compare with...
    >
    > Since May 2005, I did 2500 commits with 7500 single file changes in total
    > on my software.

    I keep getting this feeling that you are a good programmer
    and you have a lot of talent. You just don't work well with others.

    My comment about your use of English "since" is only meant to
    help. (The way you used it in that last sentence is fine.)

    Good luck to you.

  15. Re: Anybody heard of CDFS?

    On 2008-04-14, Joerg Schilling wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >
    >>Another alternative, if you want to bypass the whole
    >>cdrecord vs. wodim fuss fight, is to use cdrdao. It's a bit
    >>less convenient, but it's not difficult to write a quick
    >>script to build the required TOC file. I'd be happy to
    >>share/post my scripts (one for data, one for audio).

    > cdrdao seems not been actively worked anymore on sice ~ 3 years.
    > It still uses an old version of libscg that does not know about the
    > Linux kernel interface changes done with Linux-2.6.8.1.
    >
    > If you are not interested in the fight, just use actively maintained original
    > software:
    >
    > ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

    I find it very advantageous to use software that comes
    packaged with the distribution I use. Downloading and
    compiling software packages directly, bypassing the
    distribution's release, testing, QA, and update processes is
    a lot of work. For me, cdrdao has worked just fine.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  16. Re: Anybody heard of CDFS?

    Unruh wrote:
    > Doug Laidlaw writes:
    >

    >>I have just downloaded an ISO of the latest OpenOffice. I went to burn it
    >>with K3B, but of course K3B in Cooker is broken. So I burned it with Nero
    >>under Windows. Linux said it was O.K., but Windows said it was CDFS and
    >>couldn't be opened.

    >>been visible only as that. I could browse the burned CD normally.

    > So, exactly what is the problem? You have the iso on CD, you can now
    > install OpenOffice. I am confused as to what you are trying to do.

    He doesn't say. But OpenOffice is available for Windows, and he is only
    interested in reading the CD in Windows, so perhaps he is trying to
    bring some Open Source to a Windows installation.

    >>So I then reinstalled Windows (actually a "repair") Windows saw its own CD,
    >>but still can't see mine.

    > And you care what windows can see why?

    People who use Mandriva in their private lives are still permitted to
    use Windows on other occasions. Some of us don't even get a choice.

    >>I can see a few mumbles about CDFS on the forums. What is it? Any idea
    >>what is going on?

    The error message is odd, because Windows should be able to read cdfs -
    or at least, the filesystem that it would describe as cdfs. There is (or
    was) a cdfs.vxd to interpret ISO-9660 and Joliet CDs. Possibly with some
    incompatible extensions, so it goes. CDFS is said to be obsolete because
    the world is moving to UDF. Perhaps the latest Windows no longer
    supports it? Is this a Vista problem?

    One would expect that OpenOffice would not make an ISO of the Windows
    version available for download, which was not compatible with Windows.
    Perhaps the OP has downloaded the wrong ISO, or it is corrupt?

    Frank

  17. Re: Anybody heard of CDFS?

    In article ,
    Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    >> If you are not interested in the fight, just use actively maintained original
    >> software:
    >>
    >> ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

    >I find it very advantageous to use software that comes
    >packaged with the distribution I use. Downloading and
    >compiling software packages directly, bypassing the
    >distribution's release, testing, QA, and update processes is
    >a lot of work. For me, cdrdao has worked just fine.

    If you believe that there is "distribution's release, testing",
    you seem to missinterpret things.

    The best software is usually available from the author.....

    All Linux distributions that publish "cdrkit" instead of cdrecord
    have long bug report lists. These lists could easily be cut down
    to zero size if these Linux distributions upgraded to cdrecord.

    If there was release testing, these Linux distributions did not
    publish a burning software that includes many show stopper bugs.

    Note that switching to cdrdao does not buy you a significant benefit as
    you would still use the mkisofs clone that comes with cdrkit and that
    is very very old and buggy.

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  18. Re: Anybody heard of CDFS?

    In article ,
    Dan Espen wrote:

    >>>Joerg, please stop trying to denigrate other projects.

    >> Dan, please stop attacking people and learn reality and courtesy.

    >Joerg,
    >
    >Nothing I posted was meant as an "attack".

    Then you are a master of hiding this....

    You wrote a highly abrasive statement followed by two indications that
    you most likely have not been abrasive by mistake.

    >When you said it wasn't actively worked on, I got this urge
    >to check. What I found indicates that it IS being worked on.

    If a software is "actively worked on", things look different.

    It may be that you have no experiences with software development, but software
    that is being _actively_ worked on, frequently introduces new features.
    cddrao did not announce to indroduce new features since May 2005.

    Also note: the last compilable source was published in November 2005.
    Even this requires manual intervention to get completed.

    This is a sad fact, but it is the usual way of things for many projects
    when the initiator of a project resigns.

    >I can't see that. Maybe there aren't any new features needed.

    As far as I can tell, there is always a need for new fatures.
    Given the fact that cue sheet support in cdrdao is limited compared
    to what cdrecord implements, I would e.g. expect this to be enhanced.

    >Frankly I don't look at the CD software I use but I know
    >it always works when I use it. Even to make DVDs.

    Ooops ??? cdrdao does not support to write DVDs.

    I am getting the feeling that communicating with other people is not one of
    your best skills.

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  19. Re: Anybody heard of CDFS?

    In article ,
    Dan Espen wrote:

    >>>Joerg, please stop trying to denigrate other projects.

    >> Dan, please stop attacking people and learn reality and courtesy.

    >Joerg,
    >
    >Nothing I posted was meant as an "attack".

    Then you are a master of hiding this....

    You wrote a highly abrasive statement followed by two indications that
    you most likely have not been abrasive by mistake.

    >When you said it wasn't actively worked on, I got this urge
    >to check. What I found indicates that it IS being worked on.

    If a software is "actively worked on", things look different.

    It may be that you have no experiences with software development, but software
    that is being _actively_ worked on, frequently introduces new features.
    cddrao did not announce to indroduce new features since May 2005.

    ^This is a sad fact, but it is the usual way of things for many projects
    when the initiator of a project resigns.

    >I can't see that. Maybe there aren't any new features needed.

    As far as I can tell, there is always a need for new fatures.
    Given the fact that cue sheet support in cdrdao is limited compared
    to what cdrecord implements, I would e.g. expect this to be enhanced.

    >Frankly I don't look at the CD software I use but I know
    >it always works when I use it. Even to make DVDs.

    Ooops ??? cdrdao does not support to write DVDs.

    I am getting the feeling that communicating with other people is not one of
    your best skills.

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  20. Re: Anybody heard of CDFS?

    On 2008-04-16, Joerg Schilling wrote:

    >>> Dan, please stop attacking people and learn reality and courtesy.

    >>Joerg,
    >>
    >>Nothing I posted was meant as an "attack".

    > Then you are a master of hiding this....
    >
    > You wrote a highly abrasive statement followed by two indications that
    > you most likely have not been abrasive by mistake.

    Mr. Schilling, as a mostly neutral third party who has
    followed this whole thread, I must respectfully disagree.
    Mr. Espen's comments were not abrasive in the slightest.
    Yours, however, are very abrasive.

    >..
    >
    > I am getting the feeling that communicating with other people is not one of
    > your best skills.

    With due respect, Mr. Espen's skills at communicating with
    other people are vastly superior to yours. I would sincrely
    encourage you to improve your skills in this area. Your
    software is brilliant, but your personal style and lack of
    communication skills are driving people away from it.

    Your entry in my Score file will expire in about six months.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net