KDE flickering icons - Mandriva

This is a discussion on KDE flickering icons - Mandriva ; I am running a new Sempron system using updated RC.1 with KDE 3.5.9. For convenience, I have a lot of launcher icons on my desktop - probably too many. As well, I have a wallpaper that changes every hour or ...

  1. KDE flickering icons

    I am running a new Sempron system using updated RC.1 with KDE 3.5.9. For
    convenience, I have a lot of launcher icons on my desktop - probably too
    many.

    As well, I have a wallpaper that changes every hour or so. When it changes,
    all the launcher icons flash several times. When I ran Xplanet, it did the
    same thing with every 10-minute update. This hasn't happened with earlier
    releases. I posted to the KDE newsgroup about it and received no reply.

    Is it a known bug?

    TIA,

    Doug.

  2. Re: KDE flickering icons

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 16:16:46 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > As well, I have a wallpaper that changes every hour or so. When it changes,
    > all the launcher icons flash several times.

    Running 2008.1 RC2. Noticed the same thing upon entering a desktop
    after a boot. Takes about a second and a half for desktop wallpaper to
    show up when switching to a desktop window.

    Once tmp/kdecache-$USER/background/* gets the image, the flicker goes
    away and background is solid.

    Probably going to be a "feature"

  3. Re: KDE flickering icons

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 16:16:46 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > As well, I have a wallpaper that changes every hour or so. When it changes,
    > all the launcher icons flash several times.

    Running 2008.1 RC2. Noticed the same thing upon entering a desktop
    after a boot. Takes about a second and a half for desktop wallpaper to
    show up when switching to a desktop window.

    Once tmp/kdecache-$USER/background/* gets the image, the flicker goes
    away and background is solid.

    Probably going to be a "feature"

  4. Re: KDE flickering icons

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 16:16:46 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > As well, I have a wallpaper that changes every hour or so. When it changes,
    > all the launcher icons flash several times.

    Running 2008.1 RC2. Noticed the same thing upon entering a desktop
    after a boot. Takes about a second and a half for desktop wallpaper to
    show up when switching to a desktop window.

    Once tmp/kdecache-$USER/background/* gets the image, the flicker goes
    away and background is solid.

    Probably going to be a "feature"

  5. Re: KDE flickering icons

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 16:16:46 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > As well, I have a wallpaper that changes every hour or so. When it changes,
    > all the launcher icons flash several times.

    Running 2008.1 RC2. Noticed the same thing upon entering a desktop
    after a boot. Takes about a second and a half for desktop wallpaper to
    show up when switching to a desktop window.

    Once tmp/kdecache-$USER/background/* gets the image, the flicker goes
    away and background is solid.

    Probably going to be a "feature"

  6. Re: KDE flickering icons

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 16:16:46 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > As well, I have a wallpaper that changes every hour or so. When it changes,
    > all the launcher icons flash several times.

    Running 2008.1 RC2. Noticed the same thing upon entering a desktop
    after a boot. Takes about a second and a half for desktop wallpaper to
    show up when switching to a desktop window.

    Once tmp/kdecache-$USER/background/* gets the image, the flicker goes
    away and background is solid.

    Probably going to be a "feature"

  7. Re: KDE flickering icons

    On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 08:24:50 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:

    Sorry for the multi-posts, slrn says motzarella.org post failed. No
    idea that it went out.

  8. Re: KDE flickering icons

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 08:24:50 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    > Sorry for the multi-posts, slrn says motzarella.org post failed. No
    > idea that it went out.

    I knew that it wouldn't be your fault. Here in Oz, Telstra's BigPond was
    known to send multiple posts. The comment was always: "Oh, he's using
    BigPond."

    Doug.

  9. Re: KDE flickering icons

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 22:09:54 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 08:24:50 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:
    >>
    >> Sorry for the multi-posts, slrn says motzarella.org post failed. No
    >> idea that it went out.
    >>

    > I knew that it wouldn't be your fault. Here in Oz, Telstra's BigPond was
    > known to send multiple posts. The comment was always: "Oh, he's using
    > BigPond."

    In this case I would see the failure message and try again several times.
    Was still broke. Switched to a different news server, made the reply,
    Switched back to motzarella.org and there were all my attempts.

    This is the start of the second day of intermittent auth timeouts,
    sloooow response to fetch groups,....

    Changed DNS servers wondering it was look up problems.
    Getting ping times almost double normal times.
    Traceroute from USA motzarella.org looked normal.
    Looking at stats on motzarella.org did not show heavy load.

  10. Re: KDE flickering icons

    On 1 Dub, 10:24, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 16:16:46 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > > As well, I have a wallpaper that changes every hour or so. *When it changes,
    > > all the launcher icons flash several times. *

    > Running 2008.1 RC2. Noticed the same thing upon entering a desktop
    > after a boot. Takes about a second and a half for desktop wallpaper to
    > show up when switching to a desktop window.
    >
    > Once tmp/kdecache-$USER/background/* gets the image, the flicker goes
    > away and background is solid.
    >
    > Probably going to be a "feature"

    I have the same problem.
    Yes, it seems to be a "feature", problem is the smooth transition
    effect when changing desktop background image. Does anyone know how to
    disable this?

    Pavel

+ Reply to Thread